The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Ultron-5
Banned User

Default The Decline of the Superhero Movie genre

With all the movies coming out in the future, it's bound to happen eventually. Which year do you think people are going to start to be sick of superhero movie?

Ultron-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Re: The Decline of the Superhero Movie genre

When they stop being good.

Since 2011 people have tried to make it out that there is "superhero fatigue." I know youre not saying that Ultron 5. I'm just saying.

Superhero movies are some of the most successful movies each year since what the first Spider-Man movie?

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
When they stop being good.
This.

Like how people have not become jaded of James Bond for over 50 years now, because although he's had some bad ones, just like the superhero movie genre, they have been predominantly good and people are still enjoying the franchise because of that.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Ultron-5
Banned User

Look at what happened it the 90's. Tim Burtons Batman, a darker superhero movie, was wildly successful at the box office. The Batman franchise was the #1 superhero movie franchise in the world and in order to capitalize on the success of Batman and Batman returns, several other darker comic book movies were made, such as Darkman and The Crow. Some of them made money but soon the Batman Franchise took a 360 degree turn after the negative parental backlash because Batman Returns was too dark. Meanwhile, Marvel ruled the television with the animated X-Men and Spider-Man series. Batman Forever was a hit at the box office but it got mixed reviews. In order to capitalize on that films success, Batman & Robin was pushed into a rushed production and when it was released, fans and critics savaged it. Darker comic book movies flopped at the box office. Batman Triumphant and Superman Lives were cancelled. The Superhero movie genre was done... until Blade came out and did well at the box office. Marvel finally was having their superhero movies made, and Dc was nowhere to be seen. X-Men and Spider-Man were successes and once again the superhero movie genre was a hit. You may be asking why I just explained this, but this is why. There are 2 conflicting tones in the cinematic universes. Marvel has a light hearted and family friendly tone, while Dc has a dark and gritty tone. Dark and gritty was peoples piece of cake during the dark knight era but now the general audience like family friendly movies more then the darker movies.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
This.

Like how people have not become jaded of James Bond for over 50 years now, because although he's had some bad ones, just like the superhero movie genre, they have been predominantly good and people are still enjoying the franchise because of that.
James Bond wasn't the entire spy genre, that comparison would have probably worked if you said the MCU was like 007, while the rest of the superhero films are like the other spy films and tv shows that tried to mimick 007's success.

I don't realy think the superhero genre will stay this strong forever, but even when the genre stops being popular, i can see the MCU being able to survive and continue, pretty much the same way 007 continued even after the spy genre was getting less popular.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~

Last edited by Lord; 02-01-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Ultron-5
Banned User

The MCU has bad superhero movies in it. They were still big hits at the box office.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
James Bond wasn't he entire spy genre, that comparison would have probably worked if you said the MCU was like 007, while the rest of the superhero films are like the other spy films and tv shows that tried to mimick 007's success.

I don't realy think the superhero genre will stay this strong forever, but even when the genre stops being popular, i can see the MCU being able to survive and continue, pretty much the same way 007 continued even after the spy genre was getting less popular.
James Bond was a formula, like how superhero movies are a formula. Saying spy genre is too broad. It would be like saying horror or comedy genre. They come in so many different types. Like slasher movies are almost a genre of their own within the horror movie genre.

- The Joker
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I think they just ushered in a new era. Something we have never seen to such an extent in cinema. The fact they are crossing over franchises. Its got fans excited and the GA interested. Its something new and different. Then you had Nolan's Batman which gave us a unique take on the mythos. Something different again. A decline would start when they begin retreading the same ole stuff we already saw or the quality takes a piss poor turn.

Its in much better shape now than it was around 2004 thru 2007 after SM2. If not for TDK and IM I really don't know where it would be.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Ultron-5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I think they just ushered in a new era. Something we have never seen to such an extent in cinema. The fact they are crossing over franchises. Its got fans excited and the GA interested. Its something new and different. Then you had Nolan's Batman which gave us a unique take on the mythos. Something different again. A decline would start when they begin retreading the same ole stuff we already saw or the quality takes a piss poor turn.

Its in much better shape now than it was around 2004 thru 2007 after SM2. If not for TDK and IM I really don't know where it would be.
It's over saturation though. There's too much superhero movies coming out. I don't care about a Gambit movie or an Aunt May movie. I'm looking forward to some of the DCCU and MCU movies but not all of them. People are going to get sick of it. Imagine going to a superhero and seeing trailers for 4 different superhero movies. It'll be ridiculous.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
James Bond was a formula, like how superhero movies are a formula. Saying spy genre is too broad. It would be like saying horror or comedy genre. They come in so many different types. Like slasher movies are almost a genre of their own within the horror movie genre.
But not every superhero films follow the same formula, they're starting to come in all sizes and shapes, just like spy films back in the 60s-70s.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron-5 View Post
It's over saturation though. There's too much superhero movies coming out. I don't care about a Gambit movie or an Aunt May movie. I'm looking forward to some of the DCCU and MCU movies but not all of them. People are going to get sick of it. Imagine going to a superhero and seeing trailers for 4 different superhero movies. It'll be ridiculous.
I understand what you are saying. The way I see it, there's going to be some casualties. Which means some straight up bombs or underwhelming films that are nothing special. FOX and WB has yet to really enter this arena and I don't know what the hell Sony is doing. Marvel has a loyal following right now.

People say we have been in this golden age since 2000 but go count up all the failures since then. The GA are not going to see all these films, I guarantee that.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Blackman
C'mon Son

Some good points brought up.

I'll change my answer to when they all start to feel the same to a majority of people and it seems like we're getting 6 of the same movie every year. That's when superhero fatigue will start to set in

Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
Ultron-5
Banned User

Here's the calendar for reference

Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

It depends on the studio. Whenever an industry is hit with an oversaturation of content (though I don't think we've reached that point yet), the whole genre doesn't fall. It adapts a survival of the fittest mentality, where the best quality franchises continue being popular while the others decline.

I don't see people getting tired of Marvel films till 2019 at the earliest when Infinity War ends. That seems to be the big end game after 10 years of buildup, and everyone seems to be in on that fact. So I think assuming the quality of their films/tv shows stay up (and they've even been going up IMO), I only see Marvel films increasing in popularity till at least then.

Sony is absolutely screwed for the many obvious reasons. I see the Spidey rights returning to Marvel by the late 2010's.

Fox and WB are somewhere in between. I don't necessarily think they're doomed to fail, but I also don't see them catching up to Marvel (in the eyes of the GA) anytime soon. Especially as we get closer to Infinity War. While they can certainly have films on par with Marvel's, I don't think they do anywhere as near of a job at keeping the audience hyped and its continuity ongoing while there's no film in theatres. Marvel is almost always on people's minds with the constant TV shows, announcements and the endless topics to speculate on. WB and Fox are more hyped "in the moment".

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
But not every superhero films follow the same formula, they're starting to come in all sizes and shapes, just like spy films back in the 60s-70s.
The only ones that really feel to different to the superhero genre formula is the likes of V for Vendetta, Blade etc. Unlike spy movies which were much more diverse.

- The Joker
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Fox and WB are somewhere in between. I don't necessarily think they're doomed to fail, but I also don't see them catching up to Marvel (in the eyes of the GA) anytime soon. Especially as we get closer to Infinity War. While they can certainly have films on par with Marvel's, I don't think they do anywhere as near of a job at keeping the audience hyped and its continuity ongoing while there's no film in theatres. Marvel is almost always on people's minds with the constant TV shows, announcements and the endless topics to speculate on. WB and Fox are more hyped "in the moment".
REally agree with this.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

There will be failures and the genre will die down as a result, but as long as there are good films still being made, people will go.

Marvel's obviously at the top of the mountain, but they have a big test coming up in the recasting of their main leads which is probably coming in Phase 4. If they pass that and audiences accept the new Iron Man, Cap, etc., then the MCU could easily go on 50 years like James Bond has.

WB will be able to continue making Batman/Superman movies like they have for decades if nothing else.

It is the lesser studios that will begin to fall to the wayside. We may be in the process of seeing it with Sony.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 02-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron-5 View Post
Here's the calendar for reference
Yeah, that's a thing of beauty. It is a Golden Age for us superhero fans. I couldn't be much happier.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Plenty for everyone their, should be something that interests people on that extensive list, even if some dont happen/shift.

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #20
Ultron-5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
There will be failures and the genre will die down as a result, but as long as there are good films still being made, people will go.

Marvel's obviously a the top of the mountain, but they have a big test coming up in the recasting of their main leads which is probably coming in Phase 4. If they pass that and audiences accept the new Iron Man, Cap, etc., then the MCU could easily go on 50 years like James Bond has.

WB will be able to continue making Batman/Superman movies like they have for decades if nothing else.

It is the lesser studios that will begin to fall to the wayside. We may be in the process of seeing it with Sony.
Bingo. Superhero movies make a ton of money, money the studio spends. They'll want more control since they're spending the money and they'll push for more characters and action scenes in the movie so they can make a ton of money on toys and other merchandise, while fans and the GA go see the movie because A. It looks cool B. Their favorite characters and villains are in it and C. They're interested in seeing how it affects the cinematic universe the studio is building. However, like SM3 and TASM2 showed us, the studio have the majority of creative control is NOT a good thing.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
Ultron-5
Banned User

Also, we're getting a movie this year where the director is getting lots of creative control. Fant4stic. Josh Trank is changing stuff up and the fans are savaging him for it. Studios might want to avoid that bad publicity by giving the fans what they want. Random people just surfing the web see the fans discussing how bad the movie will be so they won't want to see it. They probably don't even know the source material well so they'll see the fans talking about how F4 is ruined and how they're boycotting the movie and crap like that so the GA will be like "we're dodging a bullet". Stuff like that makes a movie flop. And don't say the reviews for a movie matter. There have been great movies that flop at the box office. An example is Dredd.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #22
Soapy
It's all good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
When they stop being profitable.
Fixed for accuracy.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
Spider-Aziz
The Right Way

You have at least 10x the number of novel and fantasy based movies before 2000, that didn't stop Lord of the Rings trilogy from being almost $3 billion dollar film franchise.

"There is no Goddamn justice in the world" ~ WolfCypher, cause USM will have season 4

UltimateWebhead for Spidey Boards Mod
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
Ultron-5
Banned User

Because they're good movies. So are the Harry Potter movies.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #25
Spider-Aziz
The Right Way

Superhero movies can be the same.
A lot of crappy comicbook movies were released in the past 25 years, that didn't make it impossible for us to have Iron Man and The Dark Knight in 2008.

"There is no Goddamn justice in the world" ~ WolfCypher, cause USM will have season 4

UltimateWebhead for Spidey Boards Mod
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote