The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: What Origin Style?
Linear Story with flashbacks interweaved in first part (Batman Begins) 15 38.46%
Brief flashbacks in beginning, then get to main story (Star Trek) 12 30.77%
Smallville kid stuff and then flash forward to established hero (Daredevil 1 2.56%
Complete Linear Story (Spiderman, Iron Man) 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Default Re: In Case of an Origin Reboot...

Here's the draft of the script i've read:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movi...n-JJAbrams.pdf

Mtv (reliable or not) said abrams might still be interested in directing:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/26...ld-be-a-blast/

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
The review of it I read was awful but JJ did say that he;d done a few drafts after that didnt he? I liked his basic idea and if the problems had been fixed then it is a shame that it never got made.
That was the first draft that good bad reviews here is a review of the second draft.

http://www.latinoreview.com/script-r...man-returns-11

Ultimate_Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #28
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabyreak_st View Post
The entire 140 page pdf is online. I've read the entire first draft and it's not bad. Never found the other drafts, please point me in the right direction, i'd love to read them.

I posted this on dc comics site:

I've read it and it's not great but his characters are at least there. They have presence and personality, they are well thought out and have solid dialogue. yes a lot of the actual plot is lame but at least he nailed the characters, all he needs is a team to help him flesh out a better plot.

Plots in film are recycled all the time. Look at any romantic comedy, action flick, horror movie, ect. Same basic plot, different characters with tweaks to the details. That's why you can have sequels, same characters with a different plot (a new set of circumstances). Abrams wrote good characters, it would'be been easy to change the plot.
Quote:
Here's the draft of the script i've read:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movi...n-JJAbrams.pdf

Mtv (reliable or not) said abrams might still be interested in directing:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/26...ld-be-a-blast/
Thats the first draft the others are much better and introduce Lexcorp in a great way. However to me it read more like it was looking to be Iron Man. If he did do a Superman movie I want it to read like a cross between Superman Returns mix with The Dark Knight . Where it is more story driven but has great action that complements the movie as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The entire 140 page pdf is online. I've read the entire first draft and it's not bad. Never found the other drafts, please point me in the right direction, i'd love to read them.

I posted this on dc comics site:

I've read it and it's not great but his characters are at least there. They have presence and personality, they are well thought out and have solid dialogue. yes a lot of the actual plot is lame but at least he nailed the characters, all he needs is a team to help him flesh out a better plot.

Plots in film are recycled all the time. Look at any romantic comedy, action flick, horror movie, ect. Same basic plot, different characters with tweaks to the details. That's why you can have sequels, same characters with a different plot (a new set of circumstances). Abrams wrote good characters, it would'be been easy to change the plot.
Maybe he did he said he ws a few drafts ahead of what was reviewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Superman View Post
Thats the first draft the others are much better and introduce Lexcorp in a great way. However to me it read more like it was looking to be Iron Man. If he did do a Superman movie I want it to read like a cross between Superman Returns mix with The Dark Knight . Where it is more story driven but has great action that complements the movie as well.
How many drafts have been read? caue JJ said he was a few drafts ahead of what had surfaced.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #30
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Maybe he did he said he ws a few drafts ahead of what was reviewed.

How many drafts have been read? caue JJ said he was a few drafts ahead of what had surfaced.
I have only seen three drafts and that took months and months of looking for them. However there is probably more then them out there.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #31
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

What I would like to see is more in line with batman begins. With flash backs to smallville using the first issue of secret origin as the flash back scenes. I'm still torn as to who the villains should be in the first movie, because there are a lot of options you could go. By using luthor you can focus on the reporter aspect and how he has control of metropolis and it would give something for lois and clark to do. On the other hand, you coud save him for a sequel and keep him in the background. Possibly use brainiac in the first and have luthor steal his body at the end therefore using that technology to create metallo. There are a ton of options that doing this reboot give you. If there's one thing I think they need to avoid is opening up on krypton with Jor-el, I would rather we learn about krypton with clark as opposed to seeing it first and then having clark see it.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #32
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I have my own ideas on the origin and I would skip Krypton and address it throughout the movie. I have listed my ideas in the writers reboot thread.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Double post - dont know why it keeps doing that to me

This site is really slow for me aswell, anyone else having problems?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #34
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Yeah it's going really slow for me as well. Also whenever i try posting from home i get a warning saying my message is too short and that it has to be at least 3 characters long, regardless of what i type.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Yeah it's going really slow for me as well. Also whenever i try posting from home i get a warning saying my message is too short and that it has to be at least 3 characters long, regardless of what i type.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Pythagoras
Banned User

I would go with the Batman Begins route. Have flashbacks while in the present day Clark is beginning to fight crime as Superman.

Pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #37
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

with all the different suit designs popping up what if they embrace some of them as prototypes before we get the classic suit? bits and pieces of his classic suit could be part of the prototypes before clark merges them all together. they could have a prototype were he wears a mask to show what it would be like if he ever went down that road.
but is this idea too much of a rip-off of iron man?

wattabrownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

something else i'd like to see with an origin reboot is before Krypton explodes show it like they did in the STAS but it happening all over the planet. this way we get to see different parts of Krypton instead of just seeing the planet as a whole explode.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #39
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

I know I'm repeating myself but this thread isn't the first time this question was posed so I'll post my answer again here.

I want the movie to begin on Krypton. Not Donner's Krypton but the one from Byrne and Wolfman's 'Man Of Steel' - BUT - I want to add another element to that scenario. I want Jor-el young and truly a rebel in the science community. I'd like it obvious that the Council doesn't take his prediction of the imminent destruction of the planet seriously because of his youth. They think he's just overly exctiable and going off 'half-cocked'.

Following Jor-el's rejection by the Council, I want him to sneak into the birthing chambers and liberate the pod containing his unborn son, Kal-el. Racing ahead of the authorities, he makes it back to his personal lab and the rest proceeds just as it does in MOS ... with the exception of Jor-el knowing in advance where the ship will land. That's changed to Elliot Maggin's 'the ship is programmed to seek out similar life forms technologically advanced at least to the point where it can provide support to the infant. He never knew that his son was going to end up on a world that would endow him with super powers.

.... and just for the sake of a way to do exposition in the Krypton scenes, I've given Jor-el a companion robot that floats along beside him.

The linear intro would end once Kal-el is discovered by Jonathan and Martha. In fact, I want it to end when they pull him from the ship. We would fast forward from there to Clark as an adult at the Daily Planet. During the rest of the film we would have flashbacks to his Smallville days, his world travels (the only part of Waid's 'Birthright' I've ever embraced was Clark's time in Africa - I'd like to see something like that here but abbreviated), and the day Jonathan showed him the Pod he came to Earth in. In that scene I'd like to see the hologram of Brainiac appear above the pod. Brainiac then speaks something along these words:

"Kal-el, I am Brainiac. I am all that remains of your home world Krypton. All that Krypton was, I am programmed to teach you. This is the last gift given to you by your true father - he was called Jor-el"

We immediately cut back to the action at hand.

Each of Clark's flashbacks should only be a minute or two long and sprinkled throughout the film. The scenes on Krypton being the exception as it's really not a flashback for Clark but a backdrop that the rest of the film is built on. I think it could be completed in about 5 to 7 minutes.

Establishing Brainiac in the origin the way I have here is different from what I've done in the past - I really liked the animated series introduction of Brainiac but I was intrigued by how the earlier poster used him.

Last edited by DavidTyler; 01-17-2010 at 07:41 AM.
DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #40
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
I know I'm repeating myself but this thread isn't the first time this question was posed so I'll post my answer again here.

I want the movie to begin on Krypton. Not Donner's Krypton but the one from Byrne and Wolfman's 'Man Of Steel' - BUT - I want to add another element to that scenario. I want Jor-el young and truly a rebel in the science community. I'd like it obvious that the Council doesn't take his prediction of the imminent destruction of the planet seriously because of his youth. They think he's just overly exctiable and going off 'half-cocked'.

Following Jor-el's rejection by the Council, I want him to sneak into the birthing chambers and liberate the pod containing his unborn son, Kal-el. Racing ahead of the authorities, he makes it back to his personal lab and the rest proceeds just as it does in MOS ... with the exception of Jor-el knowing in advance where the ship will land. That's changed to Elliot Maggin's 'the ship is programmed to seek out similar life forms technologically advanced at least to the point where it can provide support to the infant. He never knew that his son was going to end up on a world that would endow him with super powers.

.... and just for the sake of a way to do exposition in the Krypton scenes, I've given Jor-el a companion robot that floats along beside him.

The linear intro would end once Kal-el is discovered by Jonathan and Martha. In fact, I want it to end when they pull him from the ship. We would fast forward from there to Clark as an adult at the Daily Planet. During the rest of the film we would have flashbacks to his Smallville days, his world travels (the only part of Waid's 'Birthright' I've ever embraced was Clark's time in Africa - I'd like to see something like that here but abbreviated), and the day Jonathan showed him the Pod he came to Earth in. In that scene I'd like to see the hologram of Brainiac appear above the pod. Brainiac then speaks something along these words:

"Kal-el, I am Brainiac. I am all that remains of your home world Krypton. All that Krypton was, I am programmed to teach you. This is the last gift given to you by your true father - he was called Jor-el"

Each of Clark's flashbacks should only be a minute or two long and sprinkled throughout the film. The scenes on Krypton being the exception as it's really not a flashback for Clark but a backdrop that the rest of the film is built on. I think it could be completed in about 5 to 7 minutes.

Establishing Brainiac in the origin the way I have here is different from what I've done in the past - I really liked the animated series introduction of Brainiac but I was intrigued by how the earlier poster used him.
In my opinion STAS version of Brainiac was improved on the comics version. Having Brainiac start in Krypton makes great story sense and gives his rivalry with a Superman a more personal touch.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
Pythagoras
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
with all the different suit designs popping up what if they embrace some of them as prototypes before we get the classic suit? bits and pieces of his classic suit could be part of the prototypes before clark merges them all together. they could have a prototype were he wears a mask to show what it would be like if he ever went down that road.
We get that already in Smallville.

Pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #42
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

yeah plus Superman trying different suits would take up too much time I think. On a TV show you can develop it as you have 20+ episodes a season to try thee things.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #43
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattabrownsound View Post
Superman could start out with a completely different costume, even one with a mask, but he'd have to move on to the classic costume quickly. Think of Batman in BB.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #44
thorstone
Side-Kick

JJ Abrams' sky diving sequence in Star Trek was more intense than all of Superman Returns and it was shot with the actors standing on spinning mirrors.

Abrams and Zachary Quinto are my prescription for Superman, but featuring real villains from the comics rather than Kryptonians.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post

Nice ideas. You make the krypton scenes sound worthwhile and really exciting. In a case like this i would like to see it play out, something not scene yet in live action. If they were going to do the same routine with old jor-el and the council then no, been there done that. But your ideas bring a lot of life into the scene.

Just gotta say i've watched these boards for a while before joining and you were one of the people i thought had some of the best ideas for superman. Don't know if you've taken a look at the Writer's Workshop section recently but i have put some of my ideas on how to characterize the main characters and i've written a few scenes. I'd love to get your feeback. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 AM   #46
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea if brainiac is ever used in films i do like the krypton backstory for him.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #47
Cuyan
I come in peace

I liked Kevin Smith's Superman

Cuyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #48
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

A la Batman Begins. It would differentiate the new franchise from the Donnerverse.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #49
wattabrownsound
Side-Kick

what about seeing the Green Lanterns and the Manhunters involvement in Superman's origin? could put a new spin on things.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #50
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

with all the problems wb has with just getting any one character done well and out everyone should be on their own.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote