The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #126
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Neal Adam's Batman Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
To me that last page looks like it's all some virtual reality/Danger Room simulation. Perhaps that's the point, it's easy to use guns in a fantasy setting, but in real life?
Neal Adams said it's a flashback to the beginning of his crime-fighting career.

Newsarama: "Odyssey" implies that it covers a long time period. Since you mentioned Batman with guns, which was very early in his crime-fighting career, will this comic be covering a long span of time?
Neal Adams: Well, we have this magical thing we call a flashback. So the story doesn't really take place over a long period of time, but you do get flashbacks that make the point even more clear, revealing the parts that add up to the whole.
But yes, it flashes back to the very beginning. Batman's very first case. "Why are my ears flopping in the breeze? I guess I'd better make them stiffer."
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/neal...ey-100409.html

So this scene with Robin (Dick Grayson, Neal Adams explained that Dick Grayson is Robin in this series) must be Bruce currently in the Batcave explaining to Dick what happened long ago at the beginning of his crime-fighting career in the flash-back that we see when he wore a cloth cowl that was easily removed and why he's designed this hi-tech helmet/cowl.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Release date currently unknown.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters now.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 05-29-2010 at 12:11 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #127
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

by all rationale reasoning, i should be dying for this book. neal adams is a god to me. neal adams drawing batman is a wet dream. but i dunno what it is about this that leaves me unsettled.

batman with guns really rubs me the wrong way. batman committing murder is blaspheme to me.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #128
Drz
Real Hero

Consider it this way Motown: We have writers who make Batman leave their victims to their deaths, we have writers who make Batman's twisted sense of moral let villains so damaged that they might die from it, or just suffer for the rest of their lifes with handicapness.

So here we have Batman comitting a murder, how does he cope with that? How did it feel to commit a murder? Was it a good feeling? Was it the right thing to do? Was it the real answer on solving crimes?

Theres so much to explore with this, and Neal Adams having the balls to do it, should be praised if you ask me.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #129
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Consider it this way Motown: We have writers who make Batman leave their victims to their deaths, we have writers who make Batman's twisted sense of moral let villains so damaged that they might die from it, or just suffer for the rest of their lifes with handicapness.
actually, i dont see that happening very often in the comics. nor would i agree with it. its not in batmans character to permanently handicap people or to leave them for dead.

Quote:
So here we have Batman comitting a murder, how does he cope with that? How did it feel to commit a murder? Was it a good feeling? Was it the right thing to do? Was it the real answer on solving crimes?

Theres so much to explore with this, and Neal Adams having the balls to do it, should be praised if you ask me.
see, i dont think this is anything that requires "balls" to do, nor do i find the idea of it interesting. batman just isnt the right character to do that with.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #130
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

If he starts out killing, then comes to a realization that it's just not his way, that would be fine for me. Still interested no matter what, though.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #131
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
actually, i dont see that happening very often in the comics. nor would i agree with it. its not in batmans character to permanently handicap people or to leave them for dead.

see, i dont think this is anything that requires "balls" to do, nor do i find the idea of it interesting. batman just isnt the right character to do that with.
There's an interview posted here somewhere where Adams explains that there's a psychological reason why he CAN'T use a gun: his parents were killed by one, so by extension, he can't bring himself to use it. However, here he does, and i'm sure we'll see the repercussions later on. Kinda like what Grant Morrison is doing, Neal Adams is incorporating alot of Batman's history into this story, including his earliest appearances, in which he carried guns, punched people into vats of acid and swords and kicked people in the head so hard that their necks snap.

Regardless of it being removed from the comics, I find it interesting that Batman used them at one point. That Adams is actually explaining WHY is even more interesting. This story isn't specifically about the current Batman, it's about the whole Batman, the Batman we've had since 1939.

and it doesn't happen often in comics, but in one issue of All-Star Batman, Batman cripples a rapist, and he poisons the guy who killed Dick Grayson's parents with a hallucinogenic that will always make him think he's covered with bugs. And then there's an issue of Batman by Grant Morrison where he intentionally drives Joe Chill to suicide.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #132
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Paul Dini had Batman not safe Hush but leaving him to his death twice during Heart of Hush, and Crimsonmist's excelent post also mentions Morrison who while leaving it anynomous, had Batman on his early years haunt Joe Chill until it drove him to suicide, but the gun shot is never shown, just that Batman hears it and laughs.

Crimsonmist pretty much answered why i think you guys should give this book a shot, despite what you think of Batman comitting a murder or using guns for a moment.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #133
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Morrison's Batman stabbed Croc with some sort of metal shaft, and then said the doctor who let all the inmates free got what he deserved (slit throat).

Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #134
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
There's an interview posted here somewhere where Adams explains that there's a psychological reason why he CAN'T use a gun: his parents were killed by one, so by extension, he can't bring himself to use it. However, here he does, and i'm sure we'll see the repercussions later on. Kinda like what Grant Morrison is doing, Neal Adams is incorporating alot of Batman's history into this story, including his earliest appearances, in which he carried guns, punched people into vats of acid and swords and kicked people in the head so hard that their necks snap.

Regardless of it being removed from the comics, I find it interesting that Batman used them at one point. That Adams is actually explaining WHY is even more interesting. This story isn't specifically about the current Batman, it's about the whole Batman, the Batman we've had since 1939.

and it doesn't happen often in comics, but in one issue of All-Star Batman, Batman cripples a rapist, and he poisons the guy who killed Dick Grayson's parents with a hallucinogenic that will always make him think he's covered with bugs. And then there's an issue of Batman by Grant Morrison where he intentionally drives Joe Chill to suicide.
so....he CAN'T use a gun....but her does? isnt that kinda contradictory? i get that originally in the earlier comics batman killed people, but those are no longer parts of his character. and i understand that there have been moments in the comics where that line has been blurred and questionable, but i would consider those moments of writing where batman's character was not most appropriately represented. maybe im a bit hard when it comes to this aspect of his character, but i find it to be a vital aspect.

regardless, im gonna read this book just to see what they are doing with the story. i'll give almost anything a fair shot, and i recognize all of my judgements are based on what little info we have of the book. and if anything, i'll blindly by anything just for neal adams art, even if the story does turn out to be crap. but right now, i have some very big concerns.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #135
Drz
Real Hero

From Nealadams.com

This is going to be so ****ing awesome.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #136
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
so....he CAN'T use a gun....but her does? isnt that kinda contradictory?
As we've seen, he obviously used guns but he is also morally against guns, and tremendously psychologically against guns.

Neal Adams: People looked at some of the first illustrations I did on this comic, and they saw that Batman had guns in his hands, and they said, "Aaah! Batman has guns? How can Neal do that? It's outrageous! He's going to ruin Batman!"
Now, I wish I could go to them and tap them on the shoulder and say, "No, Batman did, in the history of Batman, have guns in his hand, but within a very short time, he got rid of them. So has it ever occurred to you why he did that? Why he got rid of them?" I would think, probably, the reason he had guns in his hands when he was starting out is because he thought that's what crime fighters did, which is very logical and sensible. So then the next question would be, could he effectively use them? And I don't think he could, because his parents were killed with a gun. Even if he were morally against it, which we all believe, wouldn't he be tremendously psychologically against it? http://www.newsarama.com/comics/neal-adams-batman-odyssey-100409.html

Quote:
i get that originally in the earlier comics batman killed people, but those are no longer parts of his character. and i understand that there have been moments in the comics where that line has been blurred and questionable, but i would consider those moments of writing where batman's character was not most appropriately represented. maybe im a bit hard when it comes to this aspect of his character, but i find it to be a vital aspect.
There isn't just one version of Batman. There are radically different versions of Batman with radically different aspects of character. The guns and killing were censored out of the New Earth DCU version of Batman's history. This Odyssey Batman is obviously a different version of Batman, obviously closer and more authentic to the original Batman creators Bill Finger and Bob Kane created who used guns.

Quote:
regardless, im gonna read this book just to see what they are doing with the story. i'll give almost anything a fair shot, and i recognize all of my judgements are based on what little info we have of the book. and if anything, i'll blindly by anything just for neal adams art, even if the story does turn out to be crap. but right now, i have some very big concerns.
The guns here shouldn't concern you unless you can only acknowledge and accept and enjoy one version of Batman, the New Earth DCU Bruce Wayne Grant Morrison is writing, and if that's the case then you are not likely to enjoy Neal Adams' Batman: Odyssey.

In theaters now.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 05-30-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #137
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Motown Marvel;18391969]so....he CAN'T use a gun....but her does? isnt that kinda contradictory? i get that originally in the earlier comics batman killed people, but those are no longer parts of his character. and i understand that there have been moments in the comics where that line has been blurred and questionable, but i would consider those moments of writing where batman's character was not most appropriately represented. maybe im a bit hard when it comes to this aspect of his character, but i find it to be a vital aspect./QUOTE]

It's the bold that Adams will be touching on in this story. This portion of the story deals with Bruce's beginnings as Batman. Mind you that this is also merely a preview of a story that we don't have an end to. Is that guy dead? Who knows? By he can't use a gun, he cannot psychologically use one without repercussion. What happens after these pages that have been previewed? Why exactly does he stop using guns?

Again, Neal Adams is covering Batman as a whole, not JUST the current Batman. Adams' Batman will use guns and later he will abandon them.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #138
Drz
Real Hero

With the new spread page we can see he's also bringing some Silver Age to this Odyssey, with the flying Batmobile, oh yeah!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #139
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:

This is going to be so ****ing awesome.
I love this!

In theaters now.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #140
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

again, i get what neal is doing. i just find parts of it highly questionable. especially considering how i view the character.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #141
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

That must be a riddle from the Riddler Robin is holding.

In theaters now.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #142
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

I'm a tad bit worried about how the final product will look, once the caption boxes and word balloons are added. From that page posted above, i just hope the art doesn't get muddled. Also, from the looks of alot of the pages we've seen, there are alot of two-page spreads. DC doesn't seem to ever use a sewn binding when publishing hardcovers and alot of detail gets lost in between pages when using a glued binding. It would be cool, though unlikely, if DC published this in a "widescreen" hardcover format, similar to how Dark Horse published 300.

Not digging the batmobile's design(looks too generic) or lack of oval either.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #143
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Adams is one of those few guys who can make stuff look like it's 3D, when it actually isn't.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #144
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Not digging the batmobile's design(looks too generic)
The low-key Batmobile design is to be expected from Neal Adams. Neal Adams always designed the Batmobile in that very low-key sports car design.

In theaters now.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #145
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

I know that. And I didn't really like it then, either. It just looks too plain. And to an extent, rather comical.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #146
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

A flashy car is comical. A low-key relatively plain looking car that looks closest to a civilian car is practical and nondescript, allowing Batman to travel mysteriously unnoticed on the streets, unaware to the outsider that it is by no means a normal automobile.

In theaters now.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #147
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Well, I hope his windows are tinted.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #148
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Ha, yeah, I'm sure his car is equipped with tinted windows. Neal Adams is showing us them through the window so we can see them but the people of their world can't literally see them through the window.

In theaters now.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #149
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
With the new spread page we can see he's also bringing some Silver Age to this Odyssey, with the flying Batmobile, oh yeah!
The first flying Batmobile was in Detective Comics #351 (1966) "The Cluemaster's Topsy-Turvy Crimes!"
Which was written by Gardner Fox, art by Carmine Infantino.
The flying Batmobile is bring some Frank Millerism to this Odyssey.
Frank Miller was the first to introduce the flying Batmobile concept into the modern era.
First appearing in Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #2 (2002).

Frank Miller had another flying Batmobile in All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder (2005).

Which also can go underwater and turn into a submarine.

Then Grant Morrison introduced a flying Batmobile into his Batman & Robin in 2009.

And now Neal Adams has a flying Batmobile in Batman: Odyssey.

Frank Miller started a trend.

In theaters now.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 06-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #150
Drz
Real Hero

Interesting. I never knew Miller was the first to have a flying Batmobile... Especially considering theres a Silver Age comic with Batman having a flying BATCAVE. But hey the more you know! And knowing is half the battle. 8)