Catman
Banned User

Default Re: The CW Targets New La Femme Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
has the CW cancelled it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post
No, and hopefully they won't anytime soon!
For CW standards, it's getting good ratings. It averages about 2-3 million viewers per episode. CW's highest rated show is Vampire Diaries which gets about 4 million viewers.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #102
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Well right now Nikita is the 2nd highest rated scripted show on the network, right after VD. But it does the worst in the demos.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #103
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Well right now Nikita is the 2nd highest rated scripted show on the network, right after VD. But it does the worst in the demos.
You mean the key female demos?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #104
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Yes, it draws the less females.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #105
Frodo
Side-Kick

I think the show is great , but then again I'm kinda bias since I think Maggie Q is cool.Lol.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #106
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
The CW is giving "Nikita" a chill pill.

Five episodes into its rookie season, the Maggie Q-fronted action drama is undergoing some routine maintenance. Specifically, The CW is looking to lighten the show’s somber mood and jack up its title character’s love life.

The goal? To boost viewership in the network’s sweet spot: young females. While "Nikita" is off to a solid start among total viewers, it’s losing a huge chunk of the core women 18-34 demo from its "Vampire Diaries" lead-in. Season-to-date, "Nikita" is maintaining 94 percent of "Diaries‘" overall audience but is squandering an alarming 54 percent of the 18-34 crowd. This could be one reason why the net has yet to give the show a back-nine order. (Ironically, where "Nikita" is performing particularly well is among horny straight males over 40.)

“We’re really only talking about some slight tweaks,” maintains a source. “The core of 'Nikita' will not change.”

Among said tweaks is the introduction of several new characters, including a confidant and potential love interest for Nikita who’s described as a clean-cut, all-American CIA case officer. “Moms want to marry off their daughters to this kid,” reads the casting notice. “But he’s too busy saving the world.”

Reps for The CW and Warner Bros. Television declined to comment for this story.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/...-slight-tweak/
Hope it doesnt mess the show up. But if it doesnt gain more female viewers then they will probably cancel it.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #107
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

I'm guessing Sawa's character is either killed or he didn't want to join cause fans want him to stay around.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #108
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

This show is admittedly very serious at the moment. It should've started off a bit lighter in mood. This is a bit like the most serious parts of Alias, Dollhouse and Dark Angel combined.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #109
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

This is too badly written/structured to be as serious as those shows. The fact that Alex has been able to run around doing this stuff is so stupid. At least on Dollhouse, we were tipped off early that they wanted her to glitch and not just incompetent.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #110
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
This is too badly written/structured to be as serious as those shows. The fact that Alex has been able to run around doing this stuff is so stupid. At least on Dollhouse, we were tipped off early that they wanted her to glitch and not just incompetent.
Serious as in sombre in mood, not whether it can be taken seriously or not or how competent characters are. Alias, Dollhouse and Dark Angel were very sombre at times, and Nikita seems like it is that mood throughout the whole of its episodes.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #111
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Serious as in sombre in mood, not whether it can be taken seriously or not or how competent characters are. Alias, Dollhouse and Dark Angel were very sombre at times, and Nikita seems like it is that mood throughout the whole of its episodes.
I know what you meant. The logic of how stupid Division has to be to let this stuff go on under there noses makes it hard to take things serious. Does anyone take the green-eyed chick as a threat? I just roll my eyes.

Maybe it's just me, but for a mood to be somber, I actually have to believe in the stakes presented.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #112
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!

I like it just fine the way it is. I hope they don't muck it up trying to "fix" it. When ever you try to find a way to get the people that aren't watching you risk losing the people that are!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #113
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I love how Hollywood assumes that in order to get chicks to watch you need romance.

Which is probably true, sadly.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #114
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

It's the same about males and the whole sex sales bit.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #115
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Womenz...always thinking with their lady parts.

We men are above such things. We love strong characters and plot. And how hot was Alex in that one scene!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #116
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I know what you meant. The logic of how stupid Division has to be to let this stuff go on under there noses makes it hard to take things serious. Does anyone take the green-eyed chick as a threat? I just roll my eyes.

Maybe it's just me, but for a mood to be somber, I actually have to believe in the stakes presented.
It is just you. You still seem to be talking about whether you can take things seriously or not. A show or movie can be completely sombre, even if you don't find it well written and there's no sense of danger or it is full of plot holes.

One such example is Elektra, which in fact is what Nikita is even more reminiscent of. You might not believe in her teenage sidekick or the stakes presented, or any of the characters, but that movie was completely dour, unhumourous and heavy handed. I'm not saying it should be a laugh-a-minute film, but there are some productions which feel oppressively serious. Elektra is one such production. Nikita is another. It makes it a chore to watch.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #117
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Am I the only one expecting there to be another mole in Division?

Quote:
It is just you. You still seem to be talking about whether you can take things seriously or not. A show or movie can be completely sombre, even if you don't find it well written and there's no sense of danger or it is full of plot holes.
I'm okay being alone.

I'm saying you can't make something somber just by having bad stuff going on. It means you attempted and it isn't working. I've seen movies that are relentlessly depressing(saying nothing about quality) and I've seen movies that wanted to be but never fully commit to it cause the character actions don't allow for it. Dark lighting and grey tones a somber atmosphere doesn't make.

I'm not saying Nikita is some light-hearted comedy, but if it's attempting to be somber, it's not doing it for me obviously. It's just middle of the road.

Quote:
One such example is Elektra, which in fact is what Nikita is even more reminiscent of. You might not believe in her teenage sidekick or the stakes presented, or any of the characters, but that movie was completely dour, unhumourous and heavy handed. I'm not saying it should be a laugh-a-minute film, but there are some productions which feel oppressively serious. Elektra is one such production. Nikita is another. It makes it a chore to watch.
Elektra was dour and somber, but the characters were, although lame, consistent. The girl was upbeat and contrasted to Elektra's "deadness." Elektra was the character we viewed the world through.

This show is actually closer to The Blade Series, which they should look to for guidance. The main character, Nikita/Blade only shows up for some fights and plot pushing. The actually character development was handled by the inside character. Alex in this case. That's the problem. Alex's storyline lacks the somber attitude the series tries to project cause to make "Nancy Drew" infiltrates a govt. sect" work, Division has to seem inept.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 10-12-2010 at 10:31 PM.
TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #118
Catman
Banned User

I know CW is obsessed with female viewers, but I don't see how a show that appeals to guys is a bad thing. Maybe they can eventually expand to a broader audience.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #119
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I think they key is more Alex.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #120
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Am I the only one expecting there to be another mole in Division?

I'm okay being alone.

I'm saying you can't make something somber just by having bad stuff going on. It means you attempted and it isn't working. I've seen movies that are relentlessly depressing(saying nothing about quality) and I've seen movies that wanted to be but never fully commit to it cause the character actions don't allow for it. Dark lighting and grey tones a somber atmosphere doesn't make.

I'm not saying Nikita is some light-hearted comedy, but if it's attempting to be somber, it's not doing it for me obviously. It's just middle of the road.

Elektra was dour and somber, but the characters were, although lame, consistent. The girl was upbeat and contrasted to Elektra's "deadness." Elektra was the character we viewed the world through.

This show is actually closer to The Blade Series, which they should look to for guidance. The main character, Nikita/Blade only shows up for some fights and plot pushing. The actually character development was handled by the inside character. Alex in this case. That's the problem. Alex's storyline lacks the somber attitude the series tries to project cause to make "Nancy Drew" infiltrates a govt. sect" work, Division has to seem inept.
I'm not saying that the producers of Nikita are deliberately attempting to make it sombre (or maybe they could be - who knows?), but simply that it IS sombre - not from dark lighting or having bad stuff going on, as you put it, but because it is simply so lacking in humour, personality etc. Everyone seems to be brooding and as if they just came out of a funeral. Every scene seems heavy and laboured, even the action scenes. That's why I compared it to Elektra, which did feel as if it had a dark cloud over it the whole time.

Put it this way: if either Elektra (the version played by Jennifer Garner) or Nikita were just regular girls in real life (not assassins) but were constantly brooding and lacking in humour and personality, would you really want to hang out with them? You might answer yes, just because of their looks, but you'd get bored quickly. Now in the context of a show/ movie, regardless of whether they are assassins, are these characters you would want to hang out with (ie do you want to follow them on a weekly basis)?

Given the choice between someone like Nikita and another show where someone takes themself less seriously and doesn't seem like there's a constant dark cloud over them, wouldn't you choose the person who is more fun and lighthearted to watch, especially at the end of a day's work when you just want to relax? Nikita is a show you have to be in the right mood or frame of mind to watch. It's not something you can just sit down with anytime because it's so heavy handed, sombre and lacking in humour at the moment. If people have had a crap day at work or are feeling depressed, it's not going to be an instant draw. Other shows are much more versatile and can be watched whatever mood you're in.

Now maybe you personally would choose the more serious character, but I'm sure this is also a question in the minds of other viewers, and we'll all be able to see by the viewing figures who chooses which show repeatedly.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #121
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I know CW is obsessed with female viewers, but I don't see how a show that appeals to guys is a bad thing. Maybe they can eventually expand to a broader audience.
I think having Maggie Q around (with occasional scenes of her wearing skin-tight clothing) will keep the male viewers glue to this show.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #122
Dave McFly
YOU ARE TERMINATED

Thumbs up Re: The CW Targets New La Femme Nikita

Quote:
That cameo was definitely a doubletake from me. I didn't even recognize Devon Sawa.

This is my guilty pleasure show.
I agree, I did NOT recognize him, I love this show mainly for Maggie and Lyndsy he he.

PSN ID: davemcfly85
Dave McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #123
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not saying that the producers of Nikita are deliberately attempting to make it sombre (or maybe they could be - who knows?), but simply that it IS sombre - not from dark lighting or having bad stuff going on, as you put it, but because it is simply so lacking in humour, personality etc. Everyone seems to be brooding and as if they just came out of a funeral. Every scene seems heavy and laboured, even the action scenes. That's why I compared it to Elektra, which did feel as if it had a dark cloud over it the whole time.

Put it this way: if either Elektra (the version played by Jennifer Garner) or Nikita were just regular girls in real life (not assassins) but were constantly brooding and lacking in humour and personality, would you really want to hang out with them? You might answer yes, just because of their looks, but you'd get bored quickly. Now in the context of a show/ movie, regardless of whether they are assassins, are these characters you would want to hang out with (ie do you want to follow them on a weekly basis)?

Given the choice between someone like Nikita and another show where someone takes themself less seriously and doesn't seem like there's a constant dark cloud over them, wouldn't you choose the person who is more fun and lighthearted to watch, especially at the end of a day's work when you just want to relax? Nikita is a show you have to be in the right mood or frame of mind to watch. It's not something you can just sit down with anytime because it's so heavy handed, sombre and lacking in humour at the moment. If people have had a crap day at work or are feeling depressed, it's not going to be an instant draw. Other shows are much more versatile and can be watched whatever mood you're in.

Now maybe you personally would choose the more serious character, but I'm sure this is also a question in the minds of other viewers, and we'll all be able to see by the viewing figures who chooses which show repeatedly.
I gotta say I really don't find the show that dark and brooding. In terms of tone , it's certainly lighter then Alias and Dollhouse ever were . If anything the characters in Nikita are more snarky then brooding. Nikita is always dishing out one liners along with every other character . The show is filled with characters with clashing egos and the humor is usually at their expense. I think it strikes the proper balance between action, drama, and humor . It's not Buffy the Vampire slayer but , I don't find the show somber. Then again , I think it depends on the taste of the viewer and what they're looking for in a show . Nevertheless, the show has only had a handfull of episodes so the show is still growing and i;d be interested to see what they'll add to the show.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #124
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I gotta say I really don't find the show that dark and brooding. In terms of tone , it's certainly lighter then Alias and Dollhouse ever were .
Alias and Dollhouse had lovable geek characters that Nikita lacks. Those characters lightened the tone of those previous shows considerable (even if Topher ended up a more serious and somber character at the very end). And Nikata's Berkhoff is a Class-A douchebag, compared to the character from USA's La Femme Nikita.

And in the case of Dollhouse, imprinting of the actives provided considerable moments of levity (especially when it came to Victor), that have yet to be matched on Nikita.

As to bringing in more women, I don't know what else they're supposed to do differently without it being patronizing, or at worst bitingly offensive. The show is what it is, and some things just don't click with some people. But at the very least, be happy with the fact that it's clicking with anyone period. The show's doing well enough to stay on the air, be happy about that! you've still got your One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, Life As We Know It, Hellcats, Top Model etc. So what's the problem?

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #125
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I love how Hollywood assumes that in order to get chicks to watch you need romance.

Which is probably true, sadly.
Twilight

that is all

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote