The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Poeman
Banned User

Default Firefox Browser keeps timing out

Yesterday and today ive been having issues with firefox timing out every time or so.

I go to espn.com, mlb.com, even google.com it times out every 5 minutes or so. I have 3.6, and when i use IE the issue does not come up.
Any ideas what i should do?

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
bgates87
Waiting for a train

Default Re: Firefox Browser keeps timing out

I can think of three probable causes for this.

1. Have you or another user changed any of Firefox's Security Settings or Advanced Settings recently? There are some settings there for surfing by proxy and things like that that can affect your ability to connect or stay connected to the internet. If you think this may be the case then this page can show you how to restore the default settings in Firefox:

2. This could also be caused by an add-on. If you have recently installed an ad blocker or pop-up blocker you could try disabling it to see if the problem ceases. This is most likely not the case though unless you've installed an obscure add-on because most of the popular ones work fine.

3. It's possible Windows Firewall is causing problems for Firefox. Mozilla has instructions on how to make sure Windows Firewall allows Firefox to connect to the internet here:

Usually when this happens you can't connect through Firefox at all though. Since you can connect but keep timing out this probably isn't the case but it won't hurt to give it a try. Well, not if you follow the instructions anyways. You can make a mess of things tinkering with Windows Firewall settings but you should be fine if you follow the instructions on that page.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Poeman
Banned User

Default Re: Firefox Browser keeps timing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates87 View Post
I can think of three probable causes for this.

1. Have you or another user changed any of Firefox's Security Settings or Advanced Settings recently? There are some settings there for surfing by proxy and things like that that can affect your ability to connect or stay connected to the internet. If you think this may be the case then this page can show you how to restore the default settings in Firefox:

2. This could also be caused by an add-on. If you have recently installed an ad blocker or pop-up blocker you could try disabling it to see if the problem ceases. This is most likely not the case though unless you've installed an obscure add-on because most of the popular ones work fine.

3. It's possible Windows Firewall is causing problems for Firefox. Mozilla has instructions on how to make sure Windows Firewall allows Firefox to connect to the internet here:

Usually when this happens you can't connect through Firefox at all though. Since you can connect but keep timing out this probably isn't the case but it won't hurt to give it a try. Well, not if you follow the instructions anyways. You can make a mess of things tinkering with Windows Firewall settings but you should be fine if you follow the instructions on that page.

Hope this helps.
hey thanks...I did #3...so firefox was not listed in the allow programs list...so not sure if that caused any problems. what do you think? so i decided to add it to the allow programs list. ill let you know if anything happens.

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote