The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #51
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Default Re: Chloe Sullivan

Chloe should not be used in the movies or comics for that matter she has served her purpose and needs to move on. Remember she was brought on for the point to give SV their Lois type of character when they could not use Lois. When Lois was brought aboard she was useless till they made her in to Babs Gordon under a different name. However if you look at the comics and movies sooner or later you will see Batgirl/Babs show up and then what purpose does she have? She really only serves the purpose of people they can not use and it shows.

Ultimate_Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #52
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well they could always do what ever they want with the character if she did show up in comics or movies and not be like how the show has taken the character.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #53
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Chloe's name did pop up on Pete's cast in Superman:Secret Origins....

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #54
Dizagaox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well they could always do what ever they want with the character if she did show up in comics or movies and not be like how the show has taken the character.
People would expect her to be Watchtower, I guess.

Dizagaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #55
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i was just saying even if the character was used ever in the future it would be up to dc and who ever is writing with the character to do what ever the please with the character.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #56
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I think she shouldn't have a vital role but be addressed as a friend of Clarks when he was younger.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #57
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I think a small nod to Chloe is the best route to take. Maybe showing the Smallville school news paper called The Torch with Chloe's name on it. Something like that.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #58
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea that would be the easiest thing to do just say she was a random highschool buddy. Then later on if they wanted to do more they can do it.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #59
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
yea that would be the easiest thing to do just say she was a random highschool buddy. Then later on if they wanted to do more they can do it.
So something along the lines of what Superman: Secret Origins did which is something I am all for. Because if they did it any other way then she would be Chloe or at least the Chloe we know. I still think they should have stuck to the plain they had before they killed off Superboy and used her as Conner's Lana. That is how she was really suppose to be introduced into the DCU.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizagaox View Post
In terms of what the character brings to the canon, I think she's more important than Pete or Lana.
Ahem...

Anyway, first of all let me clarify that i HATE Smallville. But on the other hand i cant stand the typical Superman origin where Clark is raised all alone in a farm and gets Lana as a girlfriend. If they re going to show his Smallville years, his school, Lana, etc, then why not add Chloe and Pete as Clark's friends? Even if the school jockeys make fun of him, he should have some friends right?
But other than the simple role of being Clark's school friends, Chloe and Pete shouldnt have anything more to do. That's all. Is that so bad?

The same goes with Batman and Rachel. Ok, Nolan didnt write her that well, but the point stands. Bruce couldnt have grown up in the manor all by himself. He should have a friend to lean on, someone to try and help him get through this like Rachel. I always liked Rachel for that reason and also for making it hard for Bruce to devote himself to Batman. Not necessarily because he wants to be with her, but as "look at my friend Rachel. She is having a normal and happy life. Maybe i should do the same. Maybe dressing up as a bat is stupid". You know, the typical doubts that come with every new start.

Last edited by Mr. Earle; 02-16-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #61
Frodo
Side-Kick

While I'm not for Chloe appearing in this reboot , I'm not against her showing up in the future. Chloe has been a vital part to the success of SV and after almost 10 years ,i'd say she's earned her place in the DC Canon as far as i'm concerned . Harley Quinn was created for BTAS and is now a crucial part of the Joker myths .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #62
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Yeah i like chloe. If anything i'd use a scene of clark joining the school paper with her as the editor or a piece of dialogue where someone asks how he started in journalism and says his editor in high school or college got him involved. Her name was chloe sullivan.

Something like that would be simple enough. Also if she was to make her way into the DCU then i do like the idea of going to school with conner. That's pretty brilliant!

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #63
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

BTAS was a brilliant, ground-breaking television series that earned the respect of all comic fans and stayed true to the material. It is worthy of tribute.

Smallville is a shipper-centered soap on the CW that now adapts elements from the DC sandbox in a desperate attempt to stay afloat with 'meh' to mixed results.

And even among that, Chloe Sullivan is one of the show's least favorable elements, she only resonates with shippers of the show who couldn't care less about DC Comics or the mythos.

She isn't worthy of tribute or mention in an actual Superman movie. She's beyond irrelevant to the Superman mythos.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #64
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Yeah i like chloe. If anything i'd use a scene of clark joining the school paper with her as the editor or a piece of dialogue where someone asks how he started in journalism and says his editor in high school or college got him involved. Her name was chloe sullivan.

Something like that would be simple enough. Also if she was to make her way into the DCU then i do like the idea of going to school with conner. That's pretty brilliant!
Thats how she was supposed to be introduced before IC. Superboy was suppose to be getting his own series again and Chloe was suppose to be in it. However when they chose to kill him off instead of Dick things changed and now you have Chloe INO in Secret Origins.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #65
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
BTAS was a brilliant, ground-breaking television series that earned the respect of all comic fans and stayed true to the material. It is worthy of tribute.

Smallville is a shipper-centered soap on the CW that now adapts elements from the DC sandbox in a desperate attempt to stay afloat with 'meh' to mixed results.

And even among that, Chloe Sullivan is one of the show's least favorable elements, she only resonates with shippers of the show who couldn't care less about DC Comics or the mythos.

She isn't worthy of tribute or mention in an actual Superman movie. She's beyond irrelevant to the Superman mythos.
I guess I like it more then you do.Lol. I think SV was at it's best the first 4 years and is a part of the overall Superman myths though I agree the show has had more valleys then peaks. What they did with Lex without a doubt imo is the best the character has been in any live action version imo . That said, a Chloe mention isn't exactly a burning issue in the new film.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #66
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:

Smallville has featured a lot of crap that's for sure. But for a television about the young adventures of superman they've done a pretty good job. The main problems with them include the following:

1. budget - they'll never be able to fully create the world superman inhabits on a television show budget (even though they've done a great job working around it and have generated some amazing effects along the way). and

2. editorial mandate - i don't think they'll be allowed to show him as superman until the series finale. So they've had to think of ways to make the show interesting while "retarding" his development so to speak. Its been on of the most frustrating elements of the show, seasons 6 - 7, really suffered from this, only good this was the introduction of the justice league, but with clark being more proactive, operating in metropolis in season 8 and now in season 9 having a makeshift costume the show has managed to save itself to a degree. Just saying they've done some things right but as long as those 2 obstacles stand in the way i don't think smallville will ever really be superman though it has been a great elseworlds type storyline.

3. bad storylines and unused potential. Smallville has had all the resources to be a great television series but really jump the shark in later seasons. They had some of the worst storylines with lana, constantly making up reasons to keep her around rather than letting her go around season 3. Season 6 is an example of unused potential when several people escaped the phantom zone. That was a great setup for some nice clark confrontations with a variety of villains (maybe even introduce the comic characters) also you could've had a great Martian Manhunter /clark team up during the season but that whole season was devouted to lex and lana crap.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #67
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea it has had its up and downs, i still love the show alot even with its faults, but no show is ever 100% perfect. As for the chloe character as i said there isnt any real harm if she was included into the comics or a mention in films. The least they could do is just have her been a highschool friend/buddy. Or come up with something else the show hasnt done with the character. Heck i am sure comics harley is a bit different then the animated one right? What the show done with the character doesnt really dicate what comics or future movies/cartoon/etc... could do with the character.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #68
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
yea it has had its up and downs, i still love the show alot even with its faults, but no show is ever 100% perfect. As for the chloe character as i said there isnt any real harm if she was included into the comics or a mention in films. The least they could do is just have her been a highschool friend/buddy. Or come up with something else the show hasnt done with the character. Heck i am sure comics harley is a bit different then the animated one right? What the show done with the character doesnt really dicate what comics or future movies/cartoon/etc... could do with the character.
Acutally Harley is pretty much like how she was in BTAS just written more for adults and teens. Where she is the Joker's sidekick but is not all evil as well. As I have said the issue with Chloe is that she is pretty much used as the person they can not have so Chloe becomes them. Example first Lois and now Babs Gordon. If Chloe was like Mercy or Harley where she was her own person from start to finish then you are looking at a different case but if you build off of her in the comics or movies then it will be Chloe in name only because she would not be like her TV she would have to morph almost into someone completely different. Which is why I said they way she has been done in Secret Origins is the right way to go or how they were going to use her with Superboy.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #69
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh ok yea i dont know how she is in comics since i never read any dc stories she was apart of. So i dont know how she was there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #70
TheWatcher
Dapper

Honorable mention.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #71
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Smallville at it's best is when it embraces it's comic book roots and runs with it. Episodes like the season 4 episode where lex is split in two and we get to see the fully developed evil lex is simply classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vALtCw1yvm8

Season 7 first episode when clark fights bizarro, fantastic, and when clark rescues the unconscious fisherman and his son from the title wave, best superman moment ever on the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_KR1kfYUs

And for anyone who constantly hates on the show please direct me a live action superman that doesn't botch at least one element.

The big climax to S:TM was him turning the earth backwards! REally? Yeah, talk about a satifying climax there.

Ending of supes 2, kissing lois to make her forget...when did he get that power. Plus the fight scenes were always weak in the old movies.

Supes 3 and 4...don't get me started.

For a TV show smallville's done a good job but not nearly as good as it could've been. Sorry for going off topic.

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 02-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #72
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:

Well that most certainly isn't true, Chloe is one of my favorite characters on Smallville and I care about the Superman mythos.

Not all shows and movies have to follow the mythos.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #73
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:

I totally agree with what you re saying. All i was saying is that if they adress Clark's highschool years, then they should definitely give him friends. He shouldnt be the lonely, miserable guy he was in the Donnerverse. And if he's going to have friends, why not put Chloe there? I'd settle for nameless friends too.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #74
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Clark has Pete and Lana as his close highschool friends. It's always been that way in the mythos.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #75
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I guess I like it more then you do.Lol. I think SV was at it's best the first 4 years and is a part of the overall Superman myths though I agree the show has had more valleys then peaks. What they did with Lex without a doubt imo is the best the character has been in any live action version imo . That said, a Chloe mention isn't exactly a burning issue in the new film.

Season 4 was absolute garbage.