The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

Default The Official Re-Imagining Clark Kent Thread

Since were going for something new, and most likely a bit more modern, there are things that we can change to evolve Clark. I feel that some element's are still a bit obvious, so here is how I would imagine him to look. I would like to see Clark stay away from wearing blue and red. He should wear grey or brown suits and should be a bit unkept. Maybe a sort of slouchy look to keep his physique hidden. The biggest change though is I would like for his glasses to be specially crafted to make his eyes appear brown. I love the ripping of the shirt to see the symbol, but I wouldn't want to see it done as if Clark has the entire suit under his clothes. I'd like to see that part of the suit is kept somewhere else which leads me to this question...

Does anyone think that Clark should have his own office so that he can be able to change in private? Or maybe an unused or hidden room in the Daily Planet that he can keep certain things in?

Too much focus is on "Superman", but let's not forget about Clark Kent so post your ideas, pics, and anything else to help give a glimpse into what you would like to see.

Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Re-Imagining Clark Kent (Just Clark)...pics are strongly encouraged

hmm this is a good thread, perferably i would like clark too as u said were brown/grey/black suits and look clean and neat and have nice comb hair. As for his superman look he should have different hair style and different deminer to himself and how he holds himself. also the glasses changes his eye color would be a cool thing to play with.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
SuperDaniel
Banned User

This Clark is the best ever:
http://autographmagazine.com/wp-cont...n810reveal.jpg

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
super-t
Side-Kick

i would have to agree.....maybe jus a lil more shyness added and its perfect

Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well i wouldnt want clark to be to shy. he should just be like a regular guy, friendly, well liked, etc.... like how dean played him. i dont want to see the geeky, clumsy days of clark kent any more.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
super-t
Side-Kick

oh i know im right there wit u...but jus a skeey taste of shyness never hurts lol....not like "hi clark" and he runs behind a desk shy lol

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

ok no problem super

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
B
[insert witty comment]

Clark Kent should behave pretty much the way Dean Cain & Tom Welling's Clark Kent did/does on both L&C & Smallville (& TNAS to a degree). Moving away from the whole Reeve/Routh complete goofball stage, but not losing it completely.. moments of brief geek or goofball-ness are ok, just not overdone like Routh/Reeve's where at times.

I don't want Clark to be shy in the reboot either, I want him to be able to speak with Lois on her terms like Smallville/L&C/TNAS rather than what happened in Supes 1-4 & SR where it felt like Lois is always talking down to Clark rather than with him.

Part of the thing that will make a successful 'non-total goofball' Clark in this film with be the chemistry between the actor/actress with Clark/Lois, it has to be just spot on.
Teri Hatcher/Dean Cain, Tom Welling/Erica Durance ooze great chemistry & it showed/shows with their witty/flirty banter. I personally didn't think Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder had particularly great chemistry.. it was quite average, but it worked. Brandon Routh/Kate Bosworth's chemistry just was non-existant.
Anyway, getting sidetracked good chemistry is needed between the two.

This film should focus probably more about Clark Kent/Kal-El & less about Superman persay. Too much Superman in costume can ruin the effect it has when it appears I personally feel..

Last edited by B; 02-11-2010 at 08:28 AM.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
B
[insert witty comment]

Dress wise it should just be pretty simple & modern. No more wooly vests, this isn't the 80's/90's anymore!

Jacket (sometimes)
Shirt & tie
Suit(?) trousers
Dressy/smart shoes (no smart shoe jokes please )

Smallville has pretty much nailed the type of look I'd like to see this film's Clark Kent wearing when hes in the Daily Planet.. except hes minus the glasses.

Something along those lines would be spot on IMO, I'd throw him into a suit jacket that matches with his trousers now & again, but the coat like jacket hes wearing above looks like something more modern than the dated look of the standard "flasher's" trenchcoat I've seen Dean Cain, Christopher Reeve & I think Brandon Routh's Clark Kent wearing before

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Great posts guys! Man this is a terrific thread. I agree with everything. I would add that i'd see clark wearing very basic colors, white shirt, black pants or muted colors to contrast with superman. I've gone back and forth with how to portray him, still a little undecided. I think i'd go for a cool geek clark kent, like Jake 2.0 (if anyone remembers the show). So he's got personality and chemistry with lois , but not as confident and Superman like as say Tom's clark. Dean CAin really is the best though. As long as you write clark as a well rounded 3d character that can sustain the movie i'll be happy.

I'd also show the Tom clark is his smallville persona around his parents, but in metropolis he's a little more of a geek, think chuck from the chuck tv show. Then his superman is supremely heroic and fast moving, not really standing around and chatting.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

all good points guys i would like to see some of that happen.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Dress wise it should just be pretty simple & modern. No more wooly vests, this isn't the 80's/90's anymore!

Jacket (sometimes)
Shirt & tie
Suit(?) trousers
Dressy/smart shoes (no smart shoe jokes please )

Smallville has pretty much nailed the type of look I'd like to see this film's Clark Kent wearing when hes in the Daily Planet.. except hes minus the glasses.

Something along those lines would be spot on IMO, I'd throw him into a suit jacket that matches with his trousers now & again, but the coat like jacket hes wearing above looks like something more modern than the dated look of the standard "flasher's" trenchcoat I've seen Dean Cain, Christopher Reeve & I think Brandon Routh's Clark Kent wearing before

The pic with Clark in the jacket is somewhat the look I have in mind. How he's a bit unkept, but not too much, and his physique is hidden. Add the glasses, steer him away from the color blue, and give him sort of a slouched posture and that would be great. As for the look to its right, it looks too charming and charismatic, which is more like Bruce Wayne's personality. It makes Clark look more obvious like I mentioned earlier. Clark should never bring too much attention to himself.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Kurosawa
Banned User

So is the idea is to take Clark 100% away from what Jerry Siegel intended and get away from the entire idea of Clark as wish fulfillment? Making his switch to Superman very little change at all?

If so, I don't like that. If it's a toned down Clark that is just designed to be unnoticed...well that's bland but not a complete rejection of Siegel I guess.

Not a fan of the Reeve/Routh Clark either. A slightly more awkward Dean Cain is okay.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 02-11-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
So is the idea is to take Clark 100% away from what Jerry Siegel intended and get away from the entire idea of Clark as wish fulfillment? Making his switch to Superman very little change at all?

If so, I don't like that. If it's a toned down Clark that is just designed to be unnoticed...well that's bland but not a complete rejection of Siegel I guess.

Not a fan of the Reeve/Routh Clark either. A slightly more awkward Dean Cain is okay.
The idea is to re-imagine Clark to fit the tone of the movie trying to make him a bit more believable, but still keeping some of the basic aspects. Of course Clark shouldn't be designed just to go unnoticed, but he should get a fair makeover and be a memorable character just as much as Superman.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

I have always felt he can get away with being a big guy. Not a bodybuilder but look like a tall and relatively thick guy in his clothes.

He has a decent enough reason, being the steriotypical big farm kid from a small town in Kansas.

I am not to picky really, but just stay away from CAMP.

He should also not behave exactly like Superman.

I put this link in the other thread, and do still feel that having such a scene as this from STAS could work well in a movie:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
I have always felt he can get away with being a big guy. Not a bodybuilder but look like a tall and relatively thick guy in his clothes.

He has a decent enough reason, being the steriotypical big farm kid from a small town in Kansas.

I put this link in the other thread, and do still feel that having such a scene as this from STAS could work well in a movie:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Clark should use oversized clothes and slouchy posture to hide his size as much as he can. Plus almost any actor they cast is not going to be as huge as Superman is drawn and animated.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
Reel-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I would love to see a scene like this in the movie, such a better tongue in cheek type joke for all those times the viewer has asked himself if people are too stupid to notice how they look alike. This would be a great way to answer that issue.

Reel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Clark should use oversized clothes and slouchy posture to hide his size as much as he can. Plus almost any actor they cast is not going to be as huge as Superman is drawn and animated.

Yeah, if that version was fleshed out directly you would have a rather top heavy 6'7" 350 pound man.

They can get a relatively big actor, or a taller one who can bulk up before the film.

I'm thinking the build of someone like Vin Desiel, or Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler etc... Scaled up to around 6'4" or 6'5". At that height that is around 225-245 if the bodyfat is very low.

The kind of builds those guys have can easily be hidden in a suit a size large. Have him slouch a bit, and wear flat sole shoes.

He would still look bigger than the average guy, but its no secret he grew up on a farm.

Its not like he is NBA tall, or IFBB bodybuilder built.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

good points supermike, that would be nice way to go about it, plus the whole thing of him being a farm kid, or if they say clark did play any sports in school. So the characters know he is a fair shape guy, and then with the clothes he wears and his personality as clark. He is one type of character. Then when he is superman he has the different look, posture, and speech and all.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

double post

www.ItsJustMovies.com

Last edited by Webhead2006; 02-12-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
Adenjo
Cottonheadedninnymuggins

Dean Cains Clark was brilliant as is Tom Wellings version...
For the new movie i'd like Clark to have a mixture of a lot of previous Clark elements,
He's a good looking bloke in very good shape, of course women are going to take notice of him (A'la Cat Grant in L&K) but i'd like Clark to aswell as being this big strong good looking bloke who makes the girls swoon also occasionally gives them reason to laugh at him too like, quoting his mother.. "Ma used to say...." etc

Basically he's the farmboy in the big city.

It isn't about looking realistic. It is about looking awesome.
[DarthSkywalker]

BAZINGA
For the Star Wars fans
MY VANITY THREAD

TWITTER the_midlander
Adenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #22
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

That's a good idea. Yeah in a movie you need something different than what works in the comics. I think it'd be really hard to craft a movie in which he appears as superman the majority of the time.

You have to balance the supes action stuff with more of the character development stuff as clark. If you keep his parents alive you can see him interact with them on the farm (going home for a visit) and also see him in the city. You can't write clark as a characticure and then expect people to care about him. Both Dean and Tom's clarks were written as leading men, and that's pretty much the best approach. You can make him a little geeky or awkward but he needs to be someone the audience wants to see and will invest there emotions into.

For the most part supes is on screen when something big is happening. Lots of action, i think his primary interaction would be with lois and then the villains. But those scenarios dont' allow you to do a whole lot of character development. Think about it. In Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, the best character scenes aren't the ones when he's dressed in the batsuit, they're the ones when he's with alfred or rachel, as the real bruce wayne. That's why you care about him when he's in the batsuit. Otherwise the stuff he does just looks cool as batman but you wouldn't care as much.

I know it may not be the most realistic approach to the character but you have to flesh out clark and make him just as important as superman or you'll wind up with another Superman Returns.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

lol yea

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
That's a good idea. Yeah in a movie you need something different than what works in the comics. I think it'd be really hard to craft a movie in which he appears as superman the majority of the time.

You have to balance the supes action stuff with more of the character development stuff as clark. If you keep his parents alive you can see him interact with them on the farm (going home for a visit) and also see him in the city. You can't write clark as a characticure and then expect people to care about him. Both Dean and Tom's clarks were written as leading men, and that's pretty much the best approach. You can make him a little geeky or awkward but he needs to be someone the audience wants to see and will invest there emotions into.

For the most part supes is on screen when something big is happening. Lots of action, i think his primary interaction would be with lois and then the villains. But those scenarios dont' allow you to do a whole lot of character development. Think about it. In Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, the best character scenes aren't the ones when he's dressed in the batsuit, they're the ones when he's with alfred or rachel, as the real bruce wayne. That's why you care about him when he's in the batsuit. Otherwise the stuff he does just looks cool as batman but you wouldn't care as much.

I know it may not be the most realistic approach to the character but you have to flesh out clark and make him just as important as superman or you'll wind up with another Superman Returns.

I think that line sums up your post better than any other, and is absolutely on point.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
Jordacar
The Endless One

I just realized, Clark Kent is a spy.

Not a typical spy of course; he really did grow up in Smallville, etc. But much of his background is falsified, he uses a fake persona in most social interactions, and he lies to his closest friends on a regular basis about who and what he really is.

To push the Clark situation out of the campy material that we've seen in the past, it might do well to approach Clark as a guy who's playing spy, like "Burn Notice"-type stuff; and he's gotten really good at it over time.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote