The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Default Concept Artist for Superman 3.0

With iron man they brought in Adi Granov, an amazing concept artist who'd worked on the Iron Man comic in the past did a great job in visulizing a more realistic look for the character. A lot of his designs were used for the film.

What concept/comic artist would you like to see brought on to help visualize the new Superman film?

My first thought is Lee Bermejo. He illustrated the Superman strip in "Wednesday's Comics" and has a more realistic take on the character than most other comic artist.

As i'd like to see more technology involved in the new film i'd also like Doug Chiang, on of the head concept artist from Star Wars Epi 1 and 2, to be brought on. He's amazing at visualizing robots.

Also whoever was the designer for Sonny in I-Robot, i think he'd bring some interesting ideas to Brainiac.

So who would like to see involved?

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: Concept Artist for Superman 3.0

I really like Bermejo's work at DC so I wouldnt mind him helping. A couple other names are Alex Ross, Gary Frank, Lenil Yu, Talent Caldwell (from Turner's group and did some amazing stuff in that one graphic novel in Kandor). But really, the list of DC guys who could give a good look to the world is almost as long as the amount of artists who has worked on the title.

Or out of left field, a talent like The Hilderbrandt brothers (though one is dead now) did some amazing work in their time. The Star Wars posters and novel covers are just mind blowing.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

it would be nice if they did get some superman artists to come on board to keep the looks right for everything and help with designs.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Yeah, that's what i'm saying, especially artist like Lee Bermejo, similar to how they brought in Adi Granov for iron man. I would also like to see some great scifi concept artist to tackle the various scifi elements of the story, like Krypton, Brainiac etc. Admittedly not everything that works in a comic will work on the big screen that's why i advocate only comic artists who translate well in live action. There have been some great comic artist to tackle Supes but the majority do a very "comic" exaggerated style, and i can't see adapting their take well into live action. Bermejo on the other hand, along with say alex ross, or Travis Charest, those guys have more realistic feel to their art anyway.

Beyond comic artist what other concpet artist would you like to see tackle the movie and what elements in particular. I'd love if the guys from star wars who have experience dealing with alien world's were tasked with visualizing Krypton and the fortress. I think one mandate from the director should be that the structures be functional, as in you can see how they lived on Krypton or that there is more to explore in the fortress then just one room with a console. things like that.

As far as conceptualizing the clothing design on krypton, i'm thinking Ian Macraig, he worked queen amidala's outfits (among other things) for star wars.

Also i'd love if some concept artist vs comic artist tried to reimagine some the villains, i could these guys infuse some much needed originality into some of the characters/costumes. Just look at the art of star wars books to see what i'm talking about. http://parkablogs.blogspot.com/2009/01/book-review-shadowline-art-of-iain.html

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Just not me personal taste in Lee Bermejo design up there.

Feels too much like it is based on the SR costume, or at least influenced by it.

Ultra low belt line, cut at that angle looks effeminate, with the diamond shaped belt buckle I'm not crazy about. The \S/ shield on the chest looks raised.

I would prefer they have a different take on the costume than re-using anything from the one in SR.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Bermejo, a little Byrne and lots of Alex Ross FTW.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Just not me personal taste in Lee Bermejo design up there.

Feels too much like it is based on the SR costume, or at least influenced by it.

Ultra low belt line, cut at that angle looks effeminate, with the diamond shaped belt buckle I'm not crazy about. The \S/ shield on the chest looks raised.

I would prefer they have a different take on the costume than re-using anything from the one in SR.

Valid points. For the record though, Lee Bermejo came up with the design first. He illustrated a comic that came out in 2005 called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor:_Man_of_Steel

in which he illustrated superman pretty much the same way but a little darker (based on the stories' context of lex luthor's view of superman). But he had all those elements their too, rased shield, etc.

I personally love his design. I don't mind a subltly raised s-shield similar to the movie spider-man's raised spider emblem. Just avoid the plasticy looking thing from Superman Returns. I agree with you on the shorts. For some reason it looks better in Bermejo's art than it did in SR, hated it there.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I hate Bermejo and his leather fetish.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Really? I love Lee's Batman designs, to me it's one of the best versions of the suit.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Well his superman suit isnt any different from the standard superman suit. But I dont like the leathery texture it has and i HATE his batsuit.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I hate Bermejo and his leather fetish.

Duly noted, any suggestions though on concept artists?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

its not that bad of a look but i do want a nice clean looking designs and bright bold Colors in superman suit.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Valid points. For the record though, Lee Bermejo came up with the design first. He illustrated a comic that came out in 2005 called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor:_Man_of_Steel

in which he illustrated superman pretty much the same way but a little darker (based on the stories' context of lex luthor's view of superman). But he had all those elements their too, rased shield, etc.

I personally love his design. I don't mind a subltly raised s-shield similar to the movie spider-man's raised spider emblem. Just avoid the plasticy looking thing from Superman Returns. I agree with you on the shorts. For some reason it looks better in Bermejo's art than it did in SR, hated it there.
I'll have to check out Man of Steel.

Yeah, the ultra low cut trunks did not translate to film well.

Good point on Spiderman's costume, it was nice, there were slightly raised parts, but nothing looked like a big hunk of plastic.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Another artist is Ryan Church:

http://www.ryanchurch.com/index.htm

He does amazing work, just watch the behind the scenes stuff on the Star Wars DVDs to see him in action. He's also worked on Avatar and the new Star Trek. He has plenty of experience in the SciFi genre and i think would bring a completely new/different asthetic to Krypton and alien technology in general:

Heck he even did concept work on Transformers 2:

http://conceptartworld.com/?p=2272

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

For some of the vehicle designs on krypton and other advance technology, i'd go with Scott robertson: http://conceptartworld.com/?p=2462

You'll notice he has a much brighter feel to his work which would complement superman nicely:

Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Duly noted, any suggestions though on concept artists?
Jim Lee is great when it comes to drawing cities.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that ryan and scott guys look to have great artwork.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #18
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Yeah, they're both pretty amazing. I think it would be great to have artist like that would could really conceptualize some of the more fantastic elements that have a scifi bend, and then have more comic artists brought in to insure we don't loose the feel of the comics.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yup i hope they do that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

John Cassaday did concept art for Watchmen, I think he'd make fine choice for this.

The Avatar/Star Trek guy would be a great choice, as well.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

you got any links to john cassaday's work sawyer?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #22
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Here's a john cassaday illustration, that's for the suggestion:

The second is actually adam hughes, i thought it was cassaday at first:

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Here's another of Cassady's i found:

Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

pretty sweet artwork there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Another artist is Ryan Meindering, he did a lot of work on Iron Man 2, nice interviews on the Blu-ray and the Art of book:

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages