The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #51
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Reboot in 3d : Yay or Nay

totally yea its all about how it is being used if its done in post to made it look good and used in the right manner. That is why i rather if its 3d conversion for films to just be select scenes over the whole dam film. Now if its shot in 3d cameras like avatar and i believe the up coming tron 2. That is the better way to go. So we are working with it already shot in 3d. So in the sfx/post work it looks better.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #52
Dark Knight
Banned User

I think the Nolan produced Supes film should most definitely be SHOT IN 100%3D like Avatar was.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #53
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well yea for the films likely to be shooting ing 2011 and beyond the option to shoot in 3d with 3d cameras will probably be the way to go. though it will probably all count on director's view on 3d cameras, and the production cost for the film and how much it would cost to shoot in 3d.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #54
Sentinel X
optical illusion

YES!!

Im against Batman in 3D but movies like Superman are made for 3D. It should be awesome.

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #55
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel X View Post
YES!!

Im against Batman in 3D but movies like Superman are made for 3D. It should be awesome.

Yeah....Batman 3 should have more IMAX shot scenes than TDK had....but the Supes reboot film should be shot 100% with 3D cameras!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #56
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea hopefully the films shooting for 2012 and beyond releases will be shot in 3d if the whole 3d all dc film thing sticks for all.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #57
The ?ion
Rating: Know It All

Warner Bros as a whole is convinced that 3D is the next step in the evolution of immersive entertainment. They have already announced that the next Harry Potter film will be in 3D. All of their DC film properties will be in 3D. I have no doubt that they will stick to it. Television manufacturers are also making the push for 3D televisions (perhaps a hasty move given the low adoption rate for HDTVS in this country). Even PC games are starting to be made with 3D effects (e.g. Resident Evil 5, Batman Arkham Asylum etc). Like it or not, the onslaught of 3D is here.

The ?ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #58
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I would hope that they would shoot in 3D too. I never expected that Superman could possibly be converted to 3D in post, I thought they wouldn't treat it like that. I thought that they would be more serious about it. Upconverting it to 3D seems like a quick and cheap way. No matter what Horn says, a film converted in post will have less credibility/prestige than one shot with 3D cameras. I wonder how Nolan would feel about his movies treated that way too.

I was glad to hear the potential director for Flash, Greg Berlanti, saying he would want to shoot movies in 3D. I hope other DC movie directors will follow suit, if WB is going to release them in 3D anyway.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #59
The ?ion

But how many of us have noticed or will notice the difference between post processing and live 3D shoots? honestly, at this point, they are just buzz words for blogs and articles. We have no idea how 3D films in the past were recorded and produced. Avatar is the first film to really involve such an in depth focus on the production process. So we know the camera types and filming techniques that were used to create the film. But what about everything else? I am not saying that there is no difference, or that live shooting in 3D isn't superior. I am merely asking if we the viewer, have ever or will ever notice the difference.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #60
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

People are already noticing the difference. Yes, mainly bloggers (they're people too!) but it doesn't bode well that people are already complaining about the small footage of "Titans" they've seen, or making remarks about "Alice In Wonderland", being indifferent about the 3D. I am not interested in seeing "Alice" so can't compare but I will see "Titans" to compare it to "Avatar".

Horn and WB will say that converting in post is fine because they have a movie to promote- "Clash of the Titans".

But if more people are going to start buying 3D TVs then that means these 3D movies will live long after their theatrical releases so wouldn't you want your superhero movies like Superman to be the best 3D they can be, if you are watching them at home on Blu-Ray/DVD.

Also, if a filmmaker is engaged in shooting the film using 3D cameras, then I think that will make a huge difference than just shooting it in 2D and letting people do what they want with it in post. Their style of filmmaking will change, adapt.

I think if 3D becomes more and more mainstream, then audiences will become more sophisticated and *will* start noticing the differences in 3D quality. "3D" is the buzzword here- the studios heard it and are applying it to everything they can now, there will be carelessness in that.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #61
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I feel most uncomfortable with WB just saying "Everything will be in 3D now!" when talking about their DC movies, because it doesn't seem very well considered. Just a rushed idea brought about by a trend. That could potentially turn out uneven results. But I hope it turns out well, as I like DC superhero movies and I like 3D, but I wasn't comforted by this news, that EVERYTHING would automatically be 3D.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #62
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

If it gets more people to the theaters then I'm all for it

Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #63
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea we will just have to see how the whole 3d kick will go. And i am sure some films will probably be converted in post like clash and gl. But films shooting next year and beyond will probably have the option to shoot in 3d bearing the crew know how to use the equipment, and if its cost effective for the studio.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #64
The ?ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I feel most uncomfortable with WB just saying "Everything will be in 3D now!" when talking about their DC movies, because it doesn't seem very well considered. Just a rushed idea brought about by a trend. That could potentially turn out uneven results. But I hope it turns out well, as I like DC superhero movies and I like 3D, but I wasn't comforted by this news, that EVERYTHING would automatically be 3D.
3D is the next step in the progression of immersive entertainment. It allows theatres to be more competitive with the home space, now that people have their own surround sound systems and huge televisions. But what don't we have at home? 3D. Even that is changing. At the last CES, plenty of manufacturers unveiled 3D televisions. It is only logical that studios would be making moves to generate content for that paradigm shift. That was the one thing that caught Blu Ray off guard. The content didn't seem meaningful soon enough to make it catch on quickly. Apparently, studios and manufacturers don't seem likely to make that mistake this time around.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #65
AgentPat
Squeaky wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
**** that gimmick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
^LOL, agreed.

Directors and writers will begin to go out of their way to incorporate 3D into scenes just to make sure things look "cool". Stories will suffer. Scenes will feel forced. Just wait.

3D will be the downfall of cinema.
^I read a mere three posts into this thread and had to laugh. I think Superark "gets" it, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
Indeed.

Folks, here's some perspective:
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/his...line/sound.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
But this happens EVERY SINGLE THREAD! ...it keeps going and going and going like a coked up Energizer bunny.
AgentPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #66
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
This is exactly how I feel.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #67
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I like 3D. If it does bring more people into the theatre, then they should get the best 3D possible. If people are jumping onto the trend, then studios might feel that they can put out any kind of 3D out there and people will just eat it up. My point was, they should treat 3D filmmaking seriously, truly make it part of the process, not just have it as an afterthought.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #68
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I really doubt theyre going to shoot this movie in 3D like they did with Avatar. From what I understand, itll be very costly do so and I dont think WB are going to risk spending any more than they have to.

Theyll just do the conversion thing.

I say go for it if they want to. If I read any reviews that say that the 3D sucks then Ill just watch the 2D version.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #69
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I think there is still a a chance (maybe slight) that Superman will be shot in 3D. It's one of WB's biggest superheroes, why should they skimp on the finances. Besides, they haven't even announced a director yet. Marc Webb directing Spider-Man is planning to shoot in 3D, meeting up with Cameron's team and all, that's what Superman has to compete with. Guess it depends on which director they get.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #70
The ?ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
This is exactly how I feel.
And that is the goal of these companies. You can't pirate 3D. It is a new way to compete with piracy and the home space. I know plenty of people who pass on the theatre, because they already own 32 inch to 52 inch HD televisions. They already have Dolby surround sound speakers. They essentially have a personal theatre in their own living room or bedroom. But what they don't have is that 3D experience that makes films just that much more immersive. Like it or not, it is the next stage in the evolution of digital entertainment. But people always complain this way when a change comes.

- "CD-ROM games have loading, they should stick to cartridges"
- "Color movies are a gimmick."
- "Nobody will use iTunes."

This is why I leave people to their Luddite tendencies. They eventually come around.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #71
The ?ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I really doubt theyre going to shoot this movie in 3D like they did with Avatar. From what I understand, itll be very costly do so and I dont think WB are going to risk spending any more than they have to.

Theyll just do the conversion thing.

I say go for it if they want to. If I read any reviews that say that the 3D sucks then Ill just watch the 2D version.
I feel that this is going to be the more likely route that Warner Bros will take. After giving up huge budgets for Watchmen and Superman Returns, only to have a slim profit margin, is not likely something that Warner Bros will want to repeat a third time around. At least that is my best conjecture.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #72
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well thats the thing we dont know how any of the dc hero films will be shot after green lantern comes out in 2011. Sure they could likely just do it in post since its is faster and cheaper to do it that way. But if more and more places are using the 3d cameras and it becomes a bit cheaper to use. They could probably use the 3d cameras. its just all about production costs, and probably up to the film makers on how they want to craft the films.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #73
The ?ion

Well we know that Superman will begin next year, or else Warner Bros risks being sued by the Siegel family for lost revenue opportunities. So we will have to see how they approach the 3D for that film.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #74
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ?ion View Post
Warner Bros as a whole is convinced that 3D is the next step in the evolution of immersive entertainment. They have already announced that the next Harry Potter film will be in 3D. All of their DC film properties will be in 3D. I have no doubt that they will stick to it. Television manufacturers are also making the push for 3D televisions (perhaps a hasty move given the low adoption rate for HDTVS in this country). Even PC games are starting to be made with 3D effects (e.g. Resident Evil 5, Batman Arkham Asylum etc). Like it or not, the onslaught of 3D is here.

I have been saying the same thing regarding TV manufacturers are in the process of developing HD 3D TV'S and some TV shows and channels such ESPN and Discovery Channel plan to broadcast certain programming in 3D.

I believe the 2010 World Cup or at least some games if not all, will be broadcast in HD 3D.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #75
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well what ever happens i hope it works out best for all invovled on the film making process and for us viewing fans to have a real treat with the film.

www.ItsJustMovies.com