The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #351
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Default Re: Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

What do you think the X-Men would have worn if not for B & R, then?

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #352
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
What do you think the X-Men would have worn if not for B & R, then?
Well, it's hard to say. I think the black leather was a combination of the fear from B&R and the influence The Matrix had on action movies in the late 90's/early 2000's.

I still think we would have gotten something similar to a team uniform. I mean, Wolverine was the only one who had a costume with an actual meaning in the x-men. And all the other X-men have had so many different costumes that there's not really a "definitive" version.

However, perhaps we would have gotten something similar to the leather costumes with a little more flair. Perhaps a little blue and yellow thrown in.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #353
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

You forget Storm. Wolverine & Storm's costumes have distinctive themes, (and sometimes Jean) while everyone else just sports generic tights. This is why I preferred the team uniform concept as it really just looks better-IMHO-than the Mardi Gras look of their rainbow costumes.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #354
roach
I am the night

I'd go with the classic blue and gold costumes they originally wore....updated for the movies

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #355
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

I don't think Batman has hurt the genre where costumes are concerned.

Personally, i think the blue and yellow/gold spandex of the X-Men would look utterly ****e on film. So they needed to be changed. But i agree they could of had a little more flair to them.

But looking at Thor's costume, which is pretty much 100% accurate to Coipel's recent design, i don't think there is a problem really, especially with Marvel Studios.

Then you have Green Lantern going the CGI costume route, which i think is perfect for him.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #356
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I'd go with the classic blue and gold costumes they originally wore....updated for the movies
Yes and it seems that not many posters are aware that the X-Men were originally clad in team concept costumes, ala. the FF.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #357
roach
I am the night

those were originally their school uniforms and they got more stylish costumes when the graduated

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #358
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
those were originally their school uniforms and they got more stylish costumes when the graduated
That's debatable.
I don't buy the argument that the Matrix movies influenced the X-Men look. I personally don't see any similarity whatsoever between this

and this.

Other than both teams wearing black, that is.
And when I originally opened this thread I was fearful that the whole "realism" mentality was going to taint upcoming projects, such as Captain America & Thor. Having now seen what Thor's going to wear, I'm not as worried anymore. But there's the Spider-Man reboot as well as (in all probability) the X-Men reboot coming up, so Hollywood's overall attitude on costumes still remains to be seen.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #359
roach
I am the night

Hows that debatable...thats why they had in the comics...the original X-men wore the blue and gold costumes until the graduated then they got the more personalized costumes...its why the blue and golds are primarily used for students...the NM wore them and had graduation costumes(they wore them in the annual when Longshot joined the X-men)

Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #360
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I was mostly joking, but I was saying it's debatable that the costumes were "more stylish".

Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #361
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I was mostly joking, but I was saying it's debatable that the costumes were "more stylish".
i was being nice...the grad costumes of the original 5 were horrible

Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #362
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I hate most of the costumes that most of the team has worn over the years, honestly.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #363
roach
I am the night

well that being said they have had some of the best costume designs too

1)Nightcrawler...to see him in something other than his original costume is wierd
2)Colossus..his original costume
3)Jim Lee Rogue
4)Jim Lee Cyclops
5)Angel's halo costume
6)Beast's reloaded costume

Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #364
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I ESPECIALLY hate Jim Lee's Cyclops suit. One suspender to hold up a utility belt that he doesn't need, all those pouches, terrible.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #365
roach
I am the night

its a comlink...didnt you see the cartoon...lol

Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #366
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I only saw him do the comlink thing on the cartoon. ANd still doesn't justify the pouches.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #367
roach
I am the night

sorry I am a big Jim Lee fan...I think the only design of his i didnt like was the Jean Grey one and that maybe more on Portacio since its was his book at the time

Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #368
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Wow! Lots of opinions on this topic. Many valid, some vague, some completely off topic. I'll toss in my two cents worth.

1) Batman: It has long been established in the comics that Batman wears body armour under his tights. Even before Dark Knight Returns. Back in, I think it was the sixties, there was an issue of Batman where on the cover The Joker is shooting at Batman as Batman is charging at him and shouting "Why won't you die?". In Batman's thoughts he's saying "Hasn't Joker ever heard of a bullet proof vest?". Now the comics depict Batman as wearing spandex or spandex-like material over a well muscled and chiseled torso. Problem is, body armour doesn't allow you to show off your physique. It's big and bulky. So in putting Batman in body armour for the movies, it makes sense to make his body armour be designed to look like a muscular torso to keep that "iconic look". I will say, however, that I never liked his cowl being that restricting. I used to be a pro wrestler, and I wrestled under a mask. Even the best designed luchadore masks hamper you periferal vision to some degree. The ability to compensate by turning your head is vital for your own safety.

2) Captain America: Being Canadian, I don't follow Cap quite as much as I do other heroes. However, I do agree that his costume should be as close to the comics as possible, as he is a superhero icon. However I also agree that his costume should be explained in some sensible fashion. I haven't seen or read anything on the "USO storyline" you all keep harping on, but I will point out a few past stories that address the issue. In the recent animated film "Ultimate Avengers", during WWII Cap wore a uniform more "military" in design but still with many of the classic elements of his more iconic costume. Then after he's found and revived he's given a new "updated" costume by S.H.I.E.L.D. That's one way to go with the live action movie. Now in the live action Captain America movie that came out in the 1980s, his uniform and shield were designed by the scientist who created the Super Soldier formula that made both Captain America and, in an earlier test, The Red Skull. They were made out of a special materian that was virtually indestructable. Captain America even made a comment on the bright colours, that the doctor "had very little concept of camoflage" or something to that effect. And another soldier replied with something like "she did love the red, white, and blue". Either explanation could work here, or even a combination of the two.

3) Other Comic Book Characters: Most of the other superhero costumes that've come out lately have looked very much like the original comic book designs. Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Dare Devil, Spawn, Ghost Rider, Hellboy are all great examples. Not all of them were great movies. I mean, Jessica Alba isn't my first pick for Sue Richards. But you gotta admit, she looked great in those blue tights. Seriously, who wouldn't want to take her, bend her over, and make her squeal like a pig?

As for all the costumes that look nothing like their comic book origins. Honesly, would you really have taken Bullseye seriously as a villain if he showed up wearing blue and white spandex with a target printed in the forhead of his mask? And Elektra? In the comics she fights in a one piece swimsuit with a neckline that plunges down to her navel and a back that rides up her but! Can you picture Jennifer Garner wearing something like that? Let me rephrase. Can you imagine her fighting in something like that without realistcally having a wardrobe malfunction halfway through the fight? And let's face it, The X-Men in matching black uniforms looked so much better than them all wearing yellow and blue spandex (although I wouldn't mind seeing Halle Berry in the white bikini and knee high boots that Storm used to wear back in the day).

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #369
roach
I am the night

I dont have an issue with Batman being armored...Batman Arkham Asylum(the game) showed how to do a faithful Batman while armored

Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #370
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr
However I also agree that his costume should be explained in some sensible fashion.
You don't need to explain why super heroes wear costumes. It's iconic to the genre. No one stops a western to explain in depth why a cowboy wears chaps, Mexicans wear sombreros, or Indians feathers.

The only necessary explanation is the inspiration for the design concept; i,e, Bruce Wayne/Batman....I need them to fear me, bats instill fear, I must connect myself with the bat. Armor, anntenae, etc. are all afterthoughts and not reasons for the suit.

For myself this is where the costumes, in BB to some degree and in TDK totally, failed.

Last edited by afan; 05-07-2010 at 07:38 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #371
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
You don't need to explain why super heroes wear costumes. It's iconic to the genre. No one stops a western to explain in depth why a cowboy wears chaps, Mexicans wear sombreros, or Indians feathers.

The only necessary explanation is the inspiration for the design concept; i,e, Bruce Wayne/Batman....I need them to fear me, bats instill fear, I must connect myself with the bat. Armor, anntenae, etc. are all afterthoughts and not reasons for the suit.

For myself this is where the costumes, in BB to some degree and in TDK totally, failed.
to the general audience...you have to...maybe not something intricate but you do have to present some sort of reason as to why they're donning a costume in the first place

in Westerns, those things you mentioned are items of clothing not a "costume"

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #372
roach
I am the night

to be honest I dont think the GA needs an explanation...there wasnt one in Watchmen..and of the complaints the movie got the costumes werent one of them.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #373
BlackLantern
Banned User

the opening credits establish that the world has devloped with superheroes....it is an explanation of sorts

when I say "explanation", I mean it in a very open way...not a sit down and explain whats going on...but things like Peter Parker sketching out costume designs, the opening credits of Watchmen, Tony Stark when hes developing the Mark II

those are 'explanations'

Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #374
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
to the general audience...you have to...maybe not something intricate but you do have to present some sort of reason as to why they're donning a costume in the first place

in Westerns, those things you mentioned are items of clothing not a "costume"
I don't see a difference........what criteria do you use to differentiate "costume" and "clothing"

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #375
BlackLantern
Banned User

clothing could be considered a necessary or regular item...I wouldn't leave the house without pants or shoes

a "costume" IMO indicates some sort of reason for wearing it or something you wouldn't normally wear in order to alter your appearance