The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #76
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

Default Re: No Origin... Confirmed by Latino Review

Just because they're not doing the origin doesn't mean they can't show some stuff (if they're allowed). Maybe when Superman first meets Brainiac. They could have some short flashback, or maybe have Brainian talk to Superman about Krypton.

Dark_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #77
Dark Knight
Banned User

Sounds good!

Goyer will most likely outline the story and write the script, but I'm sure there will be another screenwriter or two attached to polish the final drafts and screenplay.

I think some of us had a feeling this Supes reboot might involve some of the guys who worked with Nolan on Batman, since Nolan might wind up being a producer on the next Supes film anyway.

Glad it will not be a full fledged origin, but show the characters already established in a FRESH setting with NEW actors and a NEW main baddie we have not seen before in any previous Supes film....BRAINIAC! I'm hoping we see Geoff Johns version of Brainiac.

Like hearing that we will also see a fresh Krypton mythology developed as well, so I'm sure we will see Jor-El and Lara in the film, even if it's not a full scale origin film.

Awesome news!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #78
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that is what i hope for dark lord. So then if they cant have something in this film maybe by tim sequel gets underway all the legal stuff is over and we can flesh things out with krypton and what not in sequel. OR as i am hoping maybe get things settled between now and when ever this film gets to production stage so a rewrite could add more.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #79
sf2
Side-Kick

Yes, no Origin!!! WB, prove to us an established superman story can work!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #80
Spideristic
Side-Kick

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...-of-steel-9286
They feel an origin is not required, Smallville did it and everybody knows it. Sure people who grew up through the 80s watching the Christopher Reeve movies and from reading comics, they know it. But there is a large population of new audience especially outside US who don't watch Smallville and don't know much about Superman's origins. But they very well know about Spider-Man and Batman's origins. I hope they show Superman's origins to some degree and explain about Krypton to the audience. If this franchise has to continue, Superman needs be connected and appreciated by worldwide audience.

They want this new movie to be fun, I get that. But they need to explore the character and establish that he is the lone survivor and he is a alien and the only one from his species on Earth.

Of course now in the comics with all the changes in the Superman origins that is not true anymore, still the movies needs to portray that about Superman.

Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #81
Crook
Banned User

They don't have the rights to the origin anymore. That should be pasted right in the first post. That's the only and logical reason why it's not here.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #82
JAK®
Upstart

Exactly how much of the origin has been lost?

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #83
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
Just because they're not doing the origin doesn't mean they can't show some stuff (if they're allowed). Maybe when Superman first meets Brainiac. They could have some short flashback, or maybe have Brainian talk to Superman about Krypton.
I really hope that's the case because I want this reboot to be brand new, unrelated to the Donner films which to me ended with Superman Returns.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #84
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
They feel an origin is not required, Smallville did it and everybody knows it. Sure people who grew up through the 80s watching the Christopher Reeve movies and from reading comics, they know it. But there is a large population of new audience especially outside US who don't watch Smallville and don't know much about Superman's origins. But they very well know about Spider-Man and Batman's origins. I hope they show Superman's origins to some degree and explain about Krypton to the audience. If this franchise has to continue, Superman needs be connected and appreciated by worldwide audience.

They want this new movie to be fun, I get that. But they need to explore the character and establish that he is the lone survivor and he is a alien and the only one from his species on Earth.

Of course now in the comics with all the changes in the Superman origins that is not true anymore, still the movies needs to portray that about Superman.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #85
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
They could still start with Clark's move to Metropolis. I assume no origin means no Krypton, not no first day at the DP.
Hopefully that'll be the case.
Besides, they could spend like 10 minutes showing how the spaceship landed and his parents found him at the start of the movie.
If the franchise is successful, they could visit his past in a sequel via flashbacks if the story calls for it. For example, if Lana visits him in Metropolis he could daydream about their years together in Smallville, discovering and hiding his powers, etc. Its a pity that we wont get a good origin because we already got the crappy Smallville TV series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post

Brainiac could provide the dialogue for this. Or an article by Lois.
I'd still like to see Kara (Supergirl) at some point though. Not as a sidekick, or even her adventures as SG. Just her arrival and what it means to Clark to have a relative from Krypton. If you've read the comics, he considers Kara's arrival probably the best thing that ever happened to him. Maybe second after Lois. From then on, she can stay at the farm, train with the Amazons (like in the comics), or go train with the Outsiders or JSA. Whatever. I just want to see her arrival and the impact it has on Clark.

Last edited by Mr. Earle; 02-25-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #86
zeptron
Side-Kick

They don't need to touch anything about the origin. We know where the hell Superman's from. Most kids know where the hell Superman's from.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #87
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Hopefully that'll be the case.
Besides, they could spend like 10 minutes showing how the spaceship landed and his parents found him at the start of the movie.
If the franchise is successful, they could visit his past in a sequel via flashbacks if the story calls for it. For example, if Lana visits him in Metropolis he could daydream about their years together in Smallville, discovering and hiding his powers, etc. Its a pity that we wont get a good origin because we already got the crappy Smallville TV series.Brainiac could provide the dialogue for this. Or an article by Lois.
I'd still like to see Kara (Supergirl) at some point though. Not as a sidekick, or even her adventures as SG. Just her arrival and what it means to Clark to have a relative from Krypton. If you've read the comics, he considers Kara's arrival probably the best thing that ever happened to him. Maybe second after Lois. From then on, she can stay at the farm, train with the Amazons (like in the comics), or go train with the Outsiders or JSA. Whatever. I just want to see her arrival and the impact it has on Clark.
I agree. I'm all for an established Superman but an origin (it doesn't have to be linear) is necessary. Many people say they're "sick" of the origin, but in reality they've done it just ONCE on film. Since it's a new franchise they at least should have origin elements via flashbacks.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #88
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

They can show parts of the origin that isn't going to be owned by the creators of Superman. I hope they show some of the origin, I don't want to have to explain to all my friends Superman's origin AGAIN like I had to do with Superman Returns.

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #89
Grommers
Side-Kick

Why does the first movie have to be the origin.

Every super hero first movie seems to be an origin, what if this was
more planned out and had the 2nd or 3rd movie be the origin..

It could allow for a lot change.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #90
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

89' Batman got away without an extended origin. So did Blade. Lois and Clark also didn't have the origin up front. I think the plan is to not do an "extended" origin but i could be wrong. what i would like them to do is establish very clearly, visually, story wise, by the feel of the movie, that this is in no way connected with the previous movies.

It can be done well without the origin, just go back and watch the first episode of lois and clark, it starts off with his arrival in metropolis. Something like that could work well.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #91
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

double post

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 02-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #92
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

ITs too bad with all the legal issues over what the heirs have and wb/dc has and all that. I already said i am a bit pissed we wont get a full on origin reboot. But we could still have some origins told and if the legal issues are settled prior to filming or before a sequel is done they could add more in later hopefully. Only reason i want to see a full new origin on film now is on film we only had the reeve movies to go by. But since the character has changed alot since there and there is new younger fans who may not know everything now. Plus a new take on the character would be foolish to loose out using those aspects of the character's past cause we lose out on stories and characters and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #93
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

If the movie has origin elements through flashbacks for example, they would still not consider the movie an origin film right?

It is important that Superman is being reintroduced. I want to see the start of his "career" so to speak. Even if it is not strictly an origin film, I would like to hope we will get a fresh start on the character.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #94
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally man, i would think it would be stupid to have film start out with him being around for a good number of years and all that. Cause we lose out seeing how the characters came to be and stuff like that. Now if we cant see full on krypton stuff due to the heirs. Then start it off with his first arrival to the city, then we get some flashs of his life in smallville and learn why he came to metropolis...... Then for krypton we get hints and some minor details being what ever they can get away with. Then hopefully in a sequel expand on it if all the dam legal mumbo jumbo is over.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #95
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I would hope legalities would not inhibit the best story being told. If that is part of the reason for omitting the origin, screw that.

Of course all this info is still rumor at this point.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #96
Michael Corleone
Don Corleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I would hope legalities would not inhibit the best story being told. If that is part of the reason for omitting the origin, screw that.

Of course all this info is still rumor at this point.
This isn't rumor. It's just unconfirmed by the studio.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science"
Albert Einstein

Michael Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #97
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corleone View Post
This isn't rumor. It's just unconfirmed by the studio.
If unconfirmed there is always a possibility things don't pan out, meaning nothing goes official. So I am cautious these days, considering rumor for now.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #98
Michael Corleone
Don Corleone

Quote:
If unconfirmed there is always a possibility things don't pan out, meaning nothing goes official. So I am cautious these days, considering rumor for now.
I'd put my money on this panning out.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science"
Albert Einstein

Michael Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #99
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corleone View Post
I'd put my money on this panning out.

I look forward to actual Superman movie development. It has been scary as a Supes fan, post SR, not knowing if we will even get another franchise anytime soon.

Here's hoping

Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #100
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Thanks for putting a downer on everything

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote