The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #76
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: So now that Brainiac will be in the movie,which version of him should be use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
i often wonder what was the reason for Brainiac's stupid design back in the Silver age. Who designed his outfit?

You know.. that pink collared pollo shirt with the speedo. Even back then if I was alive, I would be like "Yuck".
Curt Swan. Not sure if the outfit was 100% his, the only part of the design I remember him talking about was the electrodes. Swan is my favorite Superman artist actually, although most people today don't like his work (of course). He was created by Otto Binder and Al Plastino, but Swan did the costume you're talking about. Plastino's design had no electrodes and long slacks.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 02-26-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #77
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: So now that Brainiac will be in the movie,which version of him should be use?

it just looked really really tacky. pink pollo with a speedo? come on

Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #78
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
it just looked really really tacky. pink pollo with a speedo? come on
The main thing is the green skin and the electrodes. The rest has been redesigned several times. I guess it was okay 50 years ago. It never bothered me but then again I grew up with it and so never gave it another thought. Although I remember when he became Pulsar Stargrave in the LSH I thought that costume was cooler. It's dated now too-it looked all disco like.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #79
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea that is why i kinda would go with a mixture of robotic brainiac and the green skinned humaniod clu version.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #80
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
yea that is why i kinda would go with a mixture of robotic brainiac and the green skinned humaniod clu version.
The most recent design looked really good to me.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #81
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

the one of the action figure back a page? if so yea that is a cool look, though maybe not white with pink colors on it. maybe like a grey or black body suit if you get my drif.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #82
Adenjo
Cottonheadedninnymuggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I don't really mind which version they use as long as Hugo Weaving plays him.
Hasn't Hugo Weaving been used to death tho?

It isn't about looking realistic. It is about looking awesome.
[DarthSkywalker]

BAZINGA
For the Star Wars fans
MY VANITY THREAD

TWITTER the_midlander
Adenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #83
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
Very good choice.

Hugo Weaving has just done too much IMO...comes with some baggage....too many Similarities to the cold agent Smith.

I prefer a thin Brainiack with energized telekenetic abilities. I wouldn't mind elements of the TAS version I think a Biomechanical element showing through would be very interesting.

I also wouldn't mind the idea of the super CPU taking control of a human, not sure we need the green skinned alien body.

I don't necessarily feel that the big roided out humanoid Brainiac should be used but the darker and creepier characterization that Johns used should be shown on film.

Viggo Mortensen would make a good Brainiac.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #84
Christmas
Side-Kick

Quote:
keep in mind that Goyer's friends with Geoff Johns so..
very good point and would bode well for the script, assuming they go with Johns version

Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #85
Christmas
Side-Kick

Malkovich won't be doing Spider Man 4 but he's obviously open to these films. Maybe he could do it.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #86
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
The main thing is the green skin and the electrodes. The rest has been redesigned several times. I guess it was okay 50 years ago. It never bothered me but then again I grew up with it and so never gave it another thought. Although I remember when he became Pulsar Stargrave in the LSH I thought that costume was cooler. It's dated now too-it looked all disco like.
grew up with eh? lord of the purists

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #87
TheWatcher
Dapper

I mix between Geoff John's/Ed Benes/Ed Mcguiness/and S:TAS

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #88
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
really? I think he looks like a lame ass He-Man villain
Its the close-up, when you see a full shot of him he looks better, he is also briefly in Godfall and looks awesome in that.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #89
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I don't necessarily feel that the big roided out humanoid Brainiac should be used but the darker and creepier characterization that Johns used should be shown on film.

Viggo Mortensen would make a good Brainiac.

Agreed when I said Bio Mechanics I was actually thinking of something Gieger inspired.

For Complexion go with something that starts out like human flesh and slowly goes to a whiteish green borg like complexion.

I also wouldn't mind him puting himself back togeather, after a hectic first battle with Superman, learning, adapting. Taking some robotic ques from the best adaptive Sentinal charicterizations.

Slowly becoming more machine than flesh

Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #90
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

In this thread, prepare to see repeat opinions of:

Let's do it like the TAS version

Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #91
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

What exactly was the silver age Brainiac's goal? I understand the other versions for the most part, but I can't find much info online on the silver age, Coluan machine Brainiac. I know that in his original appearance, he was the ruler of a planet that was devastated somehow, and he was going around shrinking and stealing cities to restore his world.

Then there was a lawsuit by some company that made a computer called Brainiac, and part of the settlement forced DC to change the superman villain into a machine, I guess act as sortof a mascot for the computer. On top of that change, he was no longer the ruler of a planet, but sortof a spy for the machine rulers of the planet Colu, the Computer Tyrants. But what I'd like to know is, what led to him shrinking cities? If it wasn't to restore a devastated world, then why?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #92
protocida
Side-Kick

To store the knowledge of the world he had just invaded and destroyed.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #93
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

http://www.hrgiger.info/watch/watch9.jpg

http://www.gigerworkcatalog.com/phot...ibition_26.jpg

Seriously....this guy should be hired for concept art

Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #94
Octoberist
point blank

how old is giger now?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #95
Dave_W
Side-Kick

This concept art of Brainiac from a failed Superman game looks interesting.

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #96
Mr. Earle
Banned User

^I like it.
No matter what design they go with, i want him to have his iconic circles on his forehead.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #97
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

that looks awesome

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #98
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Yes it looks great but rather mechanical. Brainiac should look more high tech, like an I-pod. The robots in "I robot" conveyed that technological excellence.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #99
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
grew up with eh? lord of the purists
That + old as hell.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #100
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

interesting look, and i agree i would def love to see the circles on head or somewhere on body.

www.ItsJustMovies.com