The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #76
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: So please tell me about this John Byrne era

Totally agree they will probably take the basis of what bryne started with, while probably looking at some of the other modern/post modern what ever it is called currently takes like all seasons, birthright, secret origins, plus looking back at some precrisis stuff and find the right balance for the story and elements they want to tell.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #77
protocida
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
^HELL NO. Superboy, Chipmunk Clark and Donut Parasite? I`ll pass!
Way better than Sperm matrix, Dick Clark, Lex Hackman and the amazing explosion-that-cures-blindness Bizarro.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #78
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Kurosawa, i`m not going to waste my time arguing again over the same points.

Horrid designs? That`s probably the best looking and iconic Krypton ever. I`m not too fond of the cloning story and all too but those designs were great. At least it felt like an alien society which is the way it should be. I think it should be a mix of all Kryptons, a bit like the animated series.

PS: Getting rid of Superboy was the best thing he ever done. That character is LAME and pointless.
Byrne's Krypton was a horrorshow. It was insanely ugly, as were his Kryptonians. Most of his costume designs over the years have sucked major ass except for Alpha Flight. To the vast majority of people, the most iconic Krypton is the movie Krypton. To most comics fans, unless they are total Post-Crisis fans with NO respect for Superman history, it's the Golden/Silver Age Alex Raymond Krypton that JOE SHUSTER (he created Superman, not Byrne) designed. So while Byrne's Krypton might cut it for you and for a lot of Post-Crisis Byrne shippers, for most people Krypton is either the Silver Age version or maybe the movie version, according to how much they know about comics.

I absolutely do not want a test tube baby Superman from a Krypton that was a hell and deserved to die. His Krypton is one of the worst designed worlds I've ever seen in comics or in any sort of science fiction or fantasy. It's just beyond ugly and the place is as ugly as the look. Birthright's Krypton is an acceptable compromise to me since no one would ever have the balls to make a Superman movie that is faithful to Siegel and Shuster-especially when DC/WB are working their hardest to **** their families yet again.

And while I can give or take Superboy, getting rid of him ruined the Legion and basically killed the comic for almost 20 years. Really, the big mistake that DC made in the first place was getting rid of their Multiverse. They should have just made a new Earth that wouldn't cross over with their other ones, like Marvel's Ultimates, and then started fresh from there. They are finally doing that now, but the damage they did to series like LoSH, Hawkman, All-Star Squadron (basically ended Roy Thomas' career), and others wasn't worth it. They should have rebooted everything and started everyone over new. That would have allowed Superman to still be the first hero, etc. But what's done is done and although I think it was a mistake, there is something to be said for the appeal of generational heroes. Still, for everything it fixed it broke two more things and they eventually had to bring it back anyway. Not to mention it was written on the assumption that their readers were too stupid to understand alternate Earths. And claiming that your history and your previous comics sucked and had to be fixed is a terrible marketing strategy. Marvel doesn't do that.

I would have made the point of COIE to save as many Earths and lives as the heroes could, and kept the main Earths, and introduced a new Earth that would have been the main DC Earth from then on. Kal-L would have killed the Anti-Monitor then went home, and the last scene would have been the Birthing Matrix coming to the new DCU Earth. Then they really could have had their cake and ate it too instead of alienating fans who had read their comics for years. It took DC 20+ years to just admit that if people want to follow their comics they have to deal with doppelgangers and alternate Earths.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 02-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #79
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco2216 View Post
So, how toned down are Superman's powers in Byrne's?
If u have watched STAS its about the same as that. He feels pain, explosions do hurt him, kryptonite pretty much cripples him, BUT he is still pretty powerful hes just not CRAZY GOD LIKE POWERFUL.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #80
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Let`s just agree to disagree. No matter what i say or what you say, we`re never going to change our minds.

Well, this movie is going to be based a lot in the Byrne interpretation so begin to cry now! But hey, you can always pop STM and the fleischer cartoons to enjoy yourself and remind you of the "GOOD" old times...

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #81
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Let`s just agree to disagree. No matter what i say or what you say, we`re never going to change our minds.

Well, this movie is going to be based a lot in the Byrne interpretation so begin to cry now! But hey, you can always pop STM and the fleischer cartoons to enjoy yourself and remind you of the "GOOD" old times...
I actually listed several Byrne elements that I am willing to accept, while you reject any and all classic elements. That's pretty unreasonable. If they base this movie 100% on Byrne's version and neglect all other versions and those versions fans, they are making a serious mistake. They should draw from all of them, like they have with Batman.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #82
protocida
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah, you're definetily agreeing on disagreeing there.

Anyway, Latino Review said it takes us back to the modern, believeable and fun days of John Byrne, meaning we'll have a modern, belieaveable and fun Superman based on Byrne's characterization (More human, less powered) and good action scenes. But if you're thinking you're going to see "The Man of Steel" Ipsis-Literis, I'd advise YOU to begin to cry...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #83
Octoberist
point blank

with me, i can accept the Donner version, the Fleisher cartoons, the Dini animated series, Bryne run, mark Waid's Birthright to Geoff Johns' Secret Origins, the current run, whatever. I don't see why people get so..defensive about one particular era of Superman.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #84
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well i too think its time to step away from the crystal/ice cold world of krypton. would definately like to see somethin of a mix of naboo and coursant from star wars for the look/tone of krypton. As for the rest i still say the best thing is to take the better elements from bryne, including some of the other modern takes, well then also grabbing elements/traits from pre crisis eras and mix it together. So hopefully once we get closer to things actually going to production stage we will hopefully get more details on where the script is going.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #85
Octoberist
point blank

i do have to admit that i never liked the crystal Krypton with the one city the planet has. was that the intent of Donner to have an underground city with no other neighboring cities or habitats in sight?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #86
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
i do have to admit that i never liked the crystal Krypton with the one city the planet has. was that the intent of Donner to have an underground city with no other neighboring cities or habitats in sight?
I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #87
Octoberist
point blank

i just want Superman to create hurricanes with his farts

Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #88
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I actually listed several Byrne elements that I am willing to accept, while you reject any and all classic elements. That's pretty unreasonable. If they base this movie 100% on Byrne's version and neglect all other versions and those versions fans, they are making a serious mistake. They should draw from all of them, like they have with Batman.
Where did i say i don`t like all the classic aspects? Read my posts. I said TAS Krypton is my favorite because it is an amalgamation of all eras. They should draw from every era of the comics.

Plus i hate post-crisis Brainiac. TAS and Geoff Jonhs are the best.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #89
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Where did i say i don`t like all the classic aspects? Read my posts. I said TAS Krypton is my favorite because it it is an amalgamation of all eras.
That it is. Well, that's one.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #90
protocida
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
i just want Superman to create hurricanes with his farts
If it is Byrne's Superman, don't hold your breathe.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #91
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Well i doubt goyer and jonah and who ever else might have their hands on the script will just base the whole thing totally on bryne take on superman. That would be a mistake. They need to take the best stuff from the whole eras of the character and use the best stuff. That was one thing i hated with SR just being solely based off the donner film.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #92
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
That it is. Well, that's one.
I really like All-Star Superman, it`s one the best Superman stories i`ve ever read and that is totally silver age

Chapter 3 with Jonathan Kent dying and Chapter 10 are beautiful. Don`t see that ever working in a movie though.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #93
dpm07
Hiking Hero

Thumbs up Re: So please tell me about this John Byrne era

This really makes my day! If Goyer is going with an approach similar to Byrne and S:TAS, then I think the general public will really connect in a way that they may not have with Superman Returns.

I also like how they upfront say the story involves both Luthor AND Brainiac.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #94
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
THe new krypton currently in comics allows for a bit of both versions of krypton as their society is divided into guilds. THe science guild is more cold and calculating, jor-el belong to that guild, there is also the arts guild, their designs are reminincent of of golden age krypton, supergirl's dad Zor-el was a memeber of it, the military guild, zod, ursa, and the labor guild, who did all the hard work. They've done the best job of fleshing out krypton in my opinion in showing it was a diverse society. Oh yeah, there's also a religious guild. But if they go with this version they can show quite a bit of interesting mythology of the culture.

Please stop fighting folks and realize you can have an amalgam of Krypton such as exists in the current comics. Feast your eyes on new kryton, specifically notice how the costume designs were taken from a variety of earlier versions of krypton.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #95
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
I really like All-Star Superman, it`s one the best Superman stories i`ve ever read and that is totally silver age

Chapter 3 with Jonathan Kent dying and Chapter 10 are beautiful. Don`t see that ever working in a movie though.
All-Star Superman was great...it or Kingdom Come are my favorite Post-Crisis Superman stories. The best thing they can take from it is how they showed Superman as a thinking man's hero, imo.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #96
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Please stop fighting folks and realize you can have an amalgam of Krypton such as exists in the current comics. Feast your eyes on new kryton, specifically notice how the costume designs were taken from a variety of earlier versions of krypton.

That is an interesting compromise. They had done it before only attributing the different looks to various historical periods of Krypton. At least the city looks cool. Still don't like the Byrne costumes though, but as I said, I dislike most of his costumes period, not just his Krypton.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #97
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i still say it would be best to take bits and pieces of things from all eras and combine them in a logical and fluid manner so we get a good rounded out superman.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #98
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
The whole idea that Byrne`s Clark is real and Superman is the desguise is BS. Byrne never wrote that. It is the people who misread the whole thing. Go read Man of Steel 1. Metropolis Clark, the disguise is there, glasses, posture, hair combed back and all.

After Clark left Smallville, he rescued people around the world till that one day he had to make a public appearence by saving a NASA space bus. He had no uniform on and Lois called him Superman.

Then, he went back home, overwhelmed by people`s reaction and scared that he wouldn`t be able to live a normal life anymore. So they design the "Metropolis Clark Kent" persona and then give Kal a costume so he can be free to use his powers to help people. It`s not that Superman is a disguise. He is real, him wanting to help people, being a symbol for them.

Regarding Metropolis Clark, he made the character much more believable, added more layers, made him realand made the difference between Clark and Supes much more psychological and the key to the secret identity is not acting like a fool or a charicature but how people percieve Superman: They see a symbol, someone so alien, so detached from our lives the people don`t see Supes in a normal guy with glasses.

Moreover, Clark is now is an accomplished writer who uses his job to spread truth over cases and control the information on Superman. He is a good reporter, someone who would be rival of Lois Lane since he scooped her on the Superman story.

Lois is also a modern woman, spunky, etc. Basically the Lois you see today, someone who is very independent and all, and not the damsel in distress joke you see in pre-crsisis.

Also, Luthor is not a scientist who wants to rule the world. He is a corporate genious who controls technology and Metropolis.

All in all, Byrne removed all the camp and charicature portraits of the most important characters of the Superman mythos and made them believable.
That's a nice summary of Byrne's interpretation. However, I'd say there is no "Kal" there. There's "Smallville Clark" (SC) the man Jonathan and Martha raised. That's the "real" person. The "Metropolis Clark" (MC) and "Superman" are both disguises. In that respect SC is real and Superman is the disguise.

Also, I'm not sure Clark scooping Lois on the Superman story shows he's her equal as a reporter. With regards to that story Clark was at a decided advantage over Lois. In fact, it seems out of character that Clark would write that story at all since his position (secretly being Superman and all) gives him an unfair advantage when it comes to reporting on Superman. I could even see Clark recusing himself from reporting on Superman because of this.

Finally, I'm not sure "spunky" is quite right to describe a modern, competent female reporter.

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #99
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Double post.

Last edited by JBElliott; 02-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #100
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I'm so sick of this "It has to be one or the other" nonsense. The modern Superman stories have the blance almost down, taking inspiration from the movies, the Golden Age, the Silver Age, and the Bronze and Modern age.

And on a seperate note...

His Byrne origin was about nothing BUT love. Look at the final interaction between Jor-El and Lara. Their culture essentially forbids it, but they love each other desperately. And they love their son so much they send him away to survive.

Byrnes run was solid....overall at least.

However, I'm hoping Goyer doesn't write the whole story for the film based on Byrnes work alone.

Goyer needs to use elements from other great IMO Superman stories for the film.

Elements from BIRTHRIGHT, SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS, ALL STAR SUPERMAN, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW and definitely some of Johns' Braniac story arc from his run on ACTION COMICS.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote