The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #101
Dark Knight
Banned User

Default Re: So please tell me about this John Byrne era

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm07 View Post
This really makes my day! If Goyer is going with an approach similar to Byrne and S:TAS, then I think the general public will really connect in a way that they may not have with Superman Returns.

I also like how they upfront say the story involves both Luthor AND Brainiac.

Oh yeah!

Braniac as the main baddie/threat and Lex as the corrupt schemer of LexCorp!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #102
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
Exactly...
I've read the first 6 issues of the Byrne reboot. To call him weak is completely unfounded. He was still incredibly powerful, but Byrne made it possible to tell stories with this character again. Before this, Superman could move planets and blow out stars. It makes it quite difficult to create a challenge for the character. So Byrne's reboot did good things for Supes. And it was still recognizably Superman.
Pre-Crisis Superman built an Earth-like planet in less than a few pages in an issue of World's Finest that was out in the 1970's (mid to late I think). That power level was a bit too much and the Byrne interpretation "corrected" that.

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #103
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea totally like i said we have no clue if he would just base it squarly on bryne take. Since they took alot of different stuff for batman, i am sure he would do that with superman too, looking at other modern stories and using any elements/character traits from the earlier eras too.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #104
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
You couldn`t be more wrong. Superman IS NOT a disguise in any shape or form.

Clark doesn`t change his manneirisms when he is in costume.
Sure he does. Smallville Clark is (or at first he was) a bit embarrassed by the skin tight costume. That's shown in the interaction between SC and Martha when she first made the costume for him.

If one wants to say that Superman is SC, then I could agree with that, but he's still Smallville Clark.

(By Smallville Clark I in no way mean Clark from the Smallville television show.)

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #105
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Sure he does. Smallville Clark is (or at first he was) a bit embarrassed by the skin tight costume. That's shown in the interaction between SC and Martha when she first made the costume for him.

If one wants to say that Superman is SC, then I could agree with that, but he's still Smallville Clark.

(By Smallville Clark I in no way mean Clark from the Smallville television show.)
As a Pre-Crisis fan, I always felt that the truest person was the private Clark that Ma and Pa Kent knew, and the Clark that he acted as in public was a construct, but Superman himself and Superboy was basically the Ma and Pa Kent's Clark.

Don't know if that makes sense, but that is how I saw it.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #106
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Please stop fighting folks and realize you can have an amalgam of Krypton such as exists in the current comics. Feast your eyes on new kryton, specifically notice how the costume designs were taken from a variety of earlier versions of krypton.

This looks fantastic!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #107
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah there are a few ways you can tie him to krypton while still using other elements. Like the smallville version was vastly different from the STAS version. I prefer STAS or the current comic version. The smallville version had one goal: bring back zod and re-create kryton on earth. It became kind of weak as the plot went on. I prefer brainiac as in STAS in constantly seeking knowledge, then trying to destroy the world so that knowledge becomes more valuable. It's a much more interesting character with unique motivations. Also the current comic version is an enemy of general zod rather than a collaborator, and to me that adds a new wrinkle that's pretty cool. LIke supes teaming up with one enemy to defeat another. Anyway hoping we get something inbetween STAS and current comic version
SV Brainiac had various goals besides releasing Zod:
Brainiac goal was surivive and kill Clark
the main goal in Legion was constantly seeking knowledge and then use Doomsday to destroy the remains
and personally I think that Clark and Superman are both the real identity balancing his kryptonian and human identity

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #108
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
This really makes my day! If Goyer is going with an approach similar to Byrne and S:TAS, then I think the general public will really connect in a way that they may not have with Superman Returns.

Oh yeah!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #109
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Oh yeah!

As it should be

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #110
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

will be cool to see how they will play with the two villains and what types of dynamics they will have with superman.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #111
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
will be cool to see how they will play with the two villains and what types of dynamics they will have with superman.

I wouldn't be surprised if my the end of the film we see hints of LexCorp using CADMUS or or Star Labs to start creating Metallo or something like that.

I wonder if we would receive hints of the Eradicator as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #112
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that is what i was thinking too. lex takes some samples of brainiac after he is defeated or we are lead to believe is destroyed. Then he uses it for other projects like metallo if he was to be villain for sequel, and/or use as tech to design his ultimate weapon IE his power suit.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #113
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if my the end of the film we see hints of LexCorp using CADMUS or or Star Labs to start creating Metallo or something like that.
That would be so good, itd be awesome, this would have me pumped

Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #114
rocco2216
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
If u have watched STAS its about the same as that. He feels pain, explosions do hurt him, kryptonite pretty much cripples him, BUT he is still pretty powerful hes just not CRAZY GOD LIKE POWERFUL.
Crazy God like powerful Like he was in Superman Returns? Picking up an island, and in the first one when he turns back time?

rocco2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #115
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
That's a nice summary of Byrne's interpretation. However, I'd say there is no "Kal" there. There's "Smallville Clark" (SC) the man Jonathan and Martha raised. That's the "real" person. The "Metropolis Clark" (MC) and "Superman" are both disguises. In that respect SC is real and Superman is the disguise.

Also, I'm not sure Clark scooping Lois on the Superman story shows he's her equal as a reporter. With regards to that story Clark was at a decided advantage over Lois. In fact, it seems out of character that Clark would write that story at all since his position (secretly being Superman and all) gives him an unfair advantage when it comes to reporting on Superman. I could even see Clark recusing himself from reporting on Superman because of this.

Finally, I'm not sure "spunky" is quite right to describe a modern, competent female reporter.
I clearly don`t see Superman as a disguise but a symbol. It`s the sum of Clark`s childhood + Kryptonian powers. Clark is free to use his powers to help people around. He says on Man of Steel # 2 something like "For the first time, i feel free. After been hiding for so long, it`s nice to fly in the open." Superman IS REAL. He doesn`t change his manneirisms, pretends to be strong or whatever. He is strong, confident, etc etc etc.

In fact, in post-crisis, Smallville Clark and Metropolis Clark are the same person. It`s just that in Smallville, Lana and the Kents know that he is also Superman. But to Pete and others they are the same. To them, that Clark went to study journalism and works at the Daily Planet. Just a normal human being.

He is both Superman & Clark.

It`s not really that hard to understand.

TO ME, ALL IN ALL, THE SECRET IDENTITY DEPENDS ON WHO HE IS INTERACTING WITH AND WHO KNOWS HIS IDENTITY OR NOT. Generalizing stuff is never a good idea to explain a character so complex and multi-layered like Superman. Things are just not that simple that you can summarize everything in one phrase: Clark is the disguise/ Superman is real or Superman is real/Clark is disguise. The truth is: IT DEPENDS!!

My interpretation of Post-Crisis and my interpretation of Superman overall is that Clark is Kal-el being human, living a normal life. It`s the one who was raised by the Kents and moved to Metropolis to work in the Daily Planet and to preach wisdom and truth. And Superman is Kal-el being heroic and using his powers to do good, a man of action, using everything he was taught during his childhood. Both are real, both are disguises in some shape or another, both depend on whatever circunstances, interaction etc etc, if that makes sense.

I personally like the way it`s show in Superman for all seasons. Clark in his childhood is reserved, not the total jock, high-school star, as he was shown in Man of Steel. I`ve never liked that also.

Last edited by SuperDaniel; 02-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.
SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #116
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:

I wonder if we would receive hints of the Eradicator as well.
Quote:
that is what i was thinking too. lex takes some samples of brainiac after he is defeated or we are lead to believe is destroyed. Then he uses it for other projects like metallo if he was to be villain for sequel, and/or use as tech to design his ultimate weapon IE his power suit.

See this is awesome thinking guys! That's why Corp lex is the best!

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #117
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

thanks day it would be a great way to start up other plots and expand things through series.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #118
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I won't go over the same reasons as to why Byrne's Superman is my favorite since it's been discussed here already in fact I didn't get interested in his Superman until after I'd seen his work on X-Men.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #119
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:

I totally agree my friend.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #120
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
I clearly don`t see Superman as a disguise but a symbol. It`s the sum of Clark`s childhood + Kryptonian powers. Clark is free to use his powers to help people around. He says on Man of Steel # 2 something like "For the first time, i feel free. After been hiding for so long, it`s nice to fly in the open." Superman IS REAL. He doesn`t change his manneirisms, pretends to be strong or whatever. He is strong, confident, etc etc etc.

In fact, in post-crisis, Smallville Clark and Metropolis Clark are the same person. It`s just that in Smallville, Lana and the Kents know that he is also Superman. But to Pete and others they are the same. To them, that Clark went to study journalism and works at the Daily Planet. Just a normal human being.

He is both Superman & Clark.

It`s not really that hard to understand.

TO ME, ALL IN ALL, THE SECRET IDENTITY DEPENDS ON WHO HE IS INTERACTING WITH AND WHO KNOWS HIS IDENTITY OR NOT. Generalizing stuff is never a good idea to explain a character so complex and multi-layered like Superman. Things are just not that simple that you can summarize everything in one phrase: Clark is the disguise/ Superman is real or Superman is real/Clark is disguise. The truth is: IT DEPENDS!!

My interpretation of Post-Crisis and my interpretation of Superman overall is that Clark is Kal-el being human, living a normal life. It`s the one who was raised by the Kents and moved to Metropolis to work in the Daily Planet and to preach wisdom and truth. And Superman is Kal-el being heroic and using his powers to do good, a man of action, using everything he was taught during his childhood. Both are real, both are disguises in some shape or another, both depend on whatever circunstances, interaction etc etc, if that makes sense.

I personally like the way it`s show in Superman for all seasons. Clark in his childhood is reserved, not the total jock, high-school star, as he was shown in Man of Steel. I`ve never liked that also.
Superman/Clark seems to work best for people when it's left vague.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #121
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
See this is awesome thinking guys! That's why Corp lex is the best!
That actually how I used Corp Lex in my draft too.

More can be put into an Epilogue, such as Luthor speaking with a scientist in a massive lab owned by Lex-corp; "Could we save anything from the EMP blast?"

Scientist: "all known traces of the alien intelligence (that was Brainiac) are fried, nothing left".

Luthor: "can we salvage anything at all, or is this entire situation going to be a loss for us?"

Scientist: "all I have left are some hard copy notes, incomplete at that, on how to clone the complex kryptonian DNA, but with how incomplete the information is we could just end up with some bizarre result if we even tried"

Luthor: "I have complete confidence in you".

The end… *****

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #122
protocida
Side-Kick

Wiki's redux of the miniseries:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The first issue chronicles the origin of Superman, from his flight from Krypton to his arrival on Earth where he is discovered by his adoptive parents, the Kents. The story fast forwards to a high school football game after which adoptive father Jonathan Kent takes the now-teenaged Clark for a ride. By this time, Clark has developed most of, if not all, his powers as Superman. Jonathan reveals to Clark the truth that he (Clark) was never their biological son and that he was found from a crashed spaceship. The revelation causes Clark to decide to use his powers for the greater good. For the next few years during his studies in university, he has been saving lives and averting disasters in secret until an experimental space shuttle forces him to expose himself to the public. He meets Lois Lane for the first time and both felt a connection to each other but before they could react to it, a mob surrounds them. Clark is unable to deal with the sudden attention. In order to preserve Clark’s secret identity, Jonathan comes up with the idea of a superhero identity such as those used in the 1940s. Clark adopts a costume created by Martha and the name he was given in the news, Superman.

In Metropolis, Daily Planet editor-in-chief Perry White assigns Lois Lane to get an interview with Superman. Meanwhile, Superman is all over Metropolis rescuing citizens and foiling bank robberies. After a series of failed attempts to interview Superman, Lois decides to take a gamble and plunges her car into the harbor. Superman arrives and takes her home. She finally has the scoop on Superman only to find out she was beaten to the headline by the new reporter, Clark Kent.

Months later, Superman and Batman meet each other for the first time. Batman is on the trail of the criminal known as Magpie. He is interrupted in a lead by Superman who regards him as an outlaw. Rather than risk capture, Batman informs Superman that should the latter make any attempts to come near him, a signal will be activated that will trigger a bomb and kill a person somewhere in the city. The two are forced to work together and eventually capture Magpie. In the end, Batman reveals to Superman that the endangered person is Batman himself. Superman departs cautioning Batman against crossing any further lines. Batman admits to himself of a respect for Superman’s innate goodness and wonders if, in a different reality, they could have been friends.

Weeks later, Lois and Clark are guests at a party to be held on Luthor’s luxury liner. Upon arriving, they are entertained by Luthor in his private chamber on the ship. When Luthor insinuates his desire of Lois, the latter is offended having some knowledge of Luthor’s past. Lois refuses to be one of Luthor’s trophy wives and decides to leave the ship. She and Clark are then confronted by South American terrorists who promptly throw Clark overboard. As the terrorists are trying to cordon the hostages, Clark changes to Superman and lifts the liner ship which surprises everyone on board. This opens an opportunity for Lois to seize control and knock out the terrorists. Luthor then reveals that he allowed the terrorists to get on board just so that he could coax Superman to come and include him on his payroll. Superman refuses Luthor’s offer and is deputized by the mayor of Metropolis to arrest Luthor. A few days later, Luthor confronts Superman and warns him of a day of reckoning.

Days later, Superman is seenn confronting Luthor after foiling another of the latter’s revenge schemes. However, Luthor is able to elude arrest when Superman is unable to tie the villain to his criminal act. Superman leaves but not before his body is scanned by Dr. Teng’s cloning machine. Due to Superman’s alien heritage, the machine is unable to duplicate his DNA as it can only recognize known life-forms. At first the clone appears to be a perfect duplicate of Superman until it keels over unconscious and its body starts to crystallize. Frustrated, Luthor orders the body to be disposed of. Days later, the duplicate resurfaces thinking it is Superman and helping Metropolitans. The people, upon seeing it, flee in fear. It later meets a blind Lucy Lane, Lois’s sister, who attempted to commit suicide by jumping off a building. Superman encounters the creature and engages it in battle. The fight ends in a final blow, shattering the imperfect duplicate into a dust cloud which somehow restores Lucy’s sight.

Clark decides to return to Smallville after a long time away to spend some time with his family. His adoptive parents pick him up. Jonathan Kent was about to tell him something but Martha shushed him. Later that night, Clark could not sleep as he wonders what his Pa Kent was about to tell him. When he went for a midnight snack, a “ghost” of Jor-El surprises him and touches him. Superman discovers himself to be on an alien planet where he encounters his biological mother, Lara. As the hallucination wears off, he is face to face with his old flame, Lana Lang. In a flashback, it turns out that on the night that Clark learned his heritage he went to Lana and revealed the truth of his powers to her. She confesses her feelings to him. She realizes that Clark can no longer belong to her, that he belongs to the world and this fact had hurt her. She had gone through a period of depression and finally accepts the fact. The next day, Superman thinks about what she said and starts wondering about where he truly came from. He goes to the location where Jonathan hid the rocket ship he was found in only to find that the ship is gone. The hologram of Jor-El reappears and tells him to be silent and to learn. It appears that Superman is under some kind of psionic attack but the Kents arrive in time and break it off. Superman flies away, realizing that it was not a mental attack but a download of knowledge of everything about Krypton into his brain. He finally knows his biological parents and where he came from and though he appreciates the knowledge he has been given, but in the end, he embraces his humanity ever more.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #123
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco2216 View Post
Crazy God like powerful Like he was in Superman Returns? Picking up an island, and in the first one when he turns back time?
More comics he was crazy god like, I suppose in SR he was god like lifting the island but even more than that in the comics.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #124
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I cant wait to see what stuff goyer does take from bryne's run and others for this reboot. I really hope he finds the best elements and find a good way for them to be mixed together.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #125
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I cant wait to see what stuff goyer does take from bryne's run and others for this reboot. I really hope he finds the best elements and find a good way for them to be mixed together.
For definite Byrnes run is good but it would definitely need updating for a modern Superman movie. My hopes are the same as yours.