The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #176
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: So please tell me about this John Byrne era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1983 View Post
It's funny: Byrne himself said he regretted getting rid of Superboy, and when he did, it totally screwed up the Legion, which was one of DC's biggest teams at the time (Byrne himself was concerned about this, but was assured that it wouldn't then blamed for it after it did, so I'm not attacking JB here). I actually liked Superboy.

As for it being "the best looking and iconic Krypton ever," best-looking is pure opinion, and while there is some subjectivity to what makes something iconic, I don't see how. You might think the original version of the comics was hokey or the robed Brando was cheesy, but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts more people would relate that as "what Krypton looks like" than Byrne's version, which was basically how I would imagine the Mirror Universe's Vulcan.
They should have put Byrne on Batman instead, but they were all up Millers ass at the time, so they put him on Superman instead, and they had him fit his Superman to fit Miller's DKR version. Byrne is so much better at Marvel, although both Generations and his Batman/Cap crossover were great and I'll always be grateful for him putting a Wonder Woman back in the JSA.

And yeah, Krypton is either the Donner version or the Golden/Silver Age version to most people, according to how much they know about comics. Myself, when I see the name "Jor-El", will always see:

But that's just me and I certainly don't expect that. I'd like to see the Birthright or TAS look or a cross between those two and the classic.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #177
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh i totally agree i want a young youthful jorel myself. and i would definately like to get out of the ice world krypton. as for the look i am pretty open to anything different. Though a cross between naboo and coursant from SW would be a cool way to go about the look. As for the only donner krypton item i would like to see kept is crystals being a source for data storage and stuff like that.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #178
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

Even though I prefer a utopian Krypton more like the Silver/Bronze age, I also love the rich backstory and visual designs of Krypton and it's history from Byrne's era. Their history of wars over cloning and genetic engineering(which was even revealed to be a part of Doomsday's origin,eventually), those wicked battlesuits, the Eradicator. Even the cold and sterile age of Byrne's Jor-El could be worked in as part of the HISTORY of a more classic depiction of Krypton. In fact I think that Byrne's concept of the deadly weapons of Krypton's ancient wars being the eventual cause of it's explosion works even BETTER if the modern Krypton is more utopian rather than dystopian. That way, you have the tragedy of a world that rose above it's past struggles to the heights of greatness, but was still cruelly punished for it's "past sins". Oh man ,how I wish that we could just get an amazing "World of Krypton" movie. Epic in scope, showing some of the past of the world, then diving into the story of the political/military intrigue involving Jor-El, Zod, and the ruling council. Throw in a Brainiac that combines elements of TAS and the current comics version. End it with Kal-El being rocketed away. Instant epic blockbuster that also serves to get everyone drooling for the new Superman reboot. Never gonna happen, but a geek can dream

BrlntDsgse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #179
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that could work out.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #180
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post

When did Jor-El start looking like M.Bison?

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #181
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
When did Jor-El start looking like M.Bison?
Well, a little older pic then:

Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #182
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

kuro in most of the older stuff do they have it jorel/clark looked simular? like how STAS DID?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #183
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post

Does everyone on Krypton own a cape?

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #184
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrlntDsgse View Post
Even though I prefer a utopian Krypton more like the Silver/Bronze age, I also love the rich backstory and visual designs of Krypton and it's history from Byrne's era. Their history of wars over cloning and genetic engineering(which was even revealed to be a part of Doomsday's origin,eventually), those wicked battlesuits, the Eradicator. Even the cold and sterile age of Byrne's Jor-El could be worked in as part of the HISTORY of a more classic depiction of Krypton. In fact I think that Byrne's concept of the deadly weapons of Krypton's ancient wars being the eventual cause of it's explosion works even BETTER if the modern Krypton is more utopian rather than dystopian. That way, you have the tragedy of a world that rose above it's past struggles to the heights of greatness, but was still cruelly punished for it's "past sins". Oh man ,how I wish that we could just get an amazing "World of Krypton" movie. Epic in scope, showing some of the past of the world, then diving into the story of the political/military intrigue involving Jor-El, Zod, and the ruling council. Throw in a Brainiac that combines elements of TAS and the current comics version. End it with Kal-El being rocketed away. Instant epic blockbuster that also serves to get everyone drooling for the new Superman reboot. Never gonna happen, but a geek can dream
You know, that would be a heck of a good compromise and include everything, and include it well. And I'd love to see a "World Of Krypton" prequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
kuro in most of the older stuff do they have it jorel/clark looked simular? like how STAS DID?
Yeah, they look a lot alike, the family resemblance is 100%. Also something that was a nice touch is that Clark was so similar in looks and especially mannerisms (and this wasn't part of the act) to Jonathan Kent that most people forgot that he was adopted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
Does everyone on Krypton own a cape?
Not everyone, but yeah, it's a very common part of their culture. I liked how in Secret Origin Martha saw the children's playclothes and fashioned the costume after that out of his blankets. Best explanation I've seen yet.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 03-07-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #185
Superman Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrlntDsgse View Post
I'd save that for an animated feature to complement the live-action film (ex. Batman: Gotham Knight / The Dark Knight).

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #186
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea that would be something i would like to see between jorel/clark. I know i and others mentioned this once or twice before maybe who ever is clark to also play jorel?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #187
Superman Prime

Smallville did that in the episode that showed Jor-El having visited Earth before Krypton was destroyed.

I thought it was lame. A separate actor is needed.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #188
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

why that clark and jorel are not likely to ever meet face to face. if they went with same actor they could make him talk different, have different mannerism and maybe a slight difference in looks.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #189
Superman Prime

It'd be a needlessly distracting element to me. If you disagree, that's fine.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #190
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

no problem prime, i can see it as an issue. But its an interesting idea to play with though.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #191
Diamondhead
Banned User

looking back then !.. it was interesting for a while
he definitely change superman
but now
it' was obvious that he had to eliminate the ever loving and goofy clark kent from the equation
because like so many other windbags destroying the comic industries now
he just didn't have enough talent to write comedy situation for the alter ego of Superman.

I think superman had split personality
because he lives "in a world of cardboard"and just act naturally clumsy to avoid breaking things aroung him.
and if you eliminate that
you just have a straight face character with super powers that he does'nt really deserve
since they also eliminate his super intelligence making him only a strong men from smallville.

Last edited by Diamondhead; 03-08-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #192
Diamondhead
Banned User

indeed ! most windbags thinks they can do better then the original that made a character successful in the first place

that's why they are windbags.

Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #193
Superman Prime

Quote:
you just have a straight face character with super powers that he does'nt really deserve
Clark has to act goofy in order to deserve his superpowers. . . ?

Are you high?