The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #76
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Superman Director Found

I think there has to be at least 3 Superman movies before there is a Justice League movie heck I even think a Worlds Finest movie would be better set before a JL movie and I'd only want that after 2 or 3 Superman movies.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #77
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apatow Crew View Post
So no one else finds it weird they are putting all their cards on one person, or should I say one family.

I mean try different people, I think this is WB's way of thinking Hey the one director/writer did good with one film lets do it with a bunch of are other films.

Seems kinda lazy if you ask me. But hey I'm not a comic fan. And I'm sure all you Nolan-nites will rip me to shreds for saying that, but whatever.
I think it's weird, too. I was fine with Chris Nolan mentoring the next Superman film and Goyer contributing to its script, but this Jonah Nolan rumor really makes me nervous. Like you said, it's rather lazy and reckless, seeing as how Jonah's never directed anything before.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #78
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I think it's weird, too. I was fine with Chris Nolan mentoring the next Superman film and Goyer contributing to its script, but this Jonah Nolan rumor really makes me nervous. Like you said, it's rather lazy and reckless, seeing as how Jonah's never directed anything before.
The Jonah news is still being considered rumor at this point, and the JL news even more so.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #79
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
The Jonah news is still being considered rumor at this point, and the JL news even more so.
Oh I know. I'm just hoping the Jonah rumor turns out to be untrue.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #80
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Well if we believe the rumours Nolan's going to basically be a producer on all upcoming DC projects. Does anyone think maybe Nolans looking for a career other than directing, maybe he wants to take a backseat for a while.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #81
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

It will probably be more of a team effort. He worked closely with his brother in some of his films; it's not like he's exactly a newbie fresh out of film school. Goyer and Chris Nolan will have a heavy hand in the Superman franchise, I don't think they would let Jonah direct if the other two of the trio weren't going to be very much involved. It's not like the WB at all to take this type of risk. But in the Nolans I trust!

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #82
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelkilla View Post
It will probably be more of a team effort. He worked closely with his brother in some of his films; it's not like he's exactly a newbie fresh out of film school. Goyer and Chris Nolan will have a heavy hand in the Superman franchise, I don't think they would let Jonah direct if the other two of the trio weren't going to be very much involved. It's not like the WB at all to take this type of risk. But in the Nolans I trust!
Same here mate, I think it is gonna be very much a team effort.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #83
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think there has to be at least 3 Superman movies before there is a Justice League movie heck I even think a Worlds Finest movie would be better set before a JL movie and I'd only want that after 2 or 3 Superman movies.

The rumors making it sound like they're aping the Incredible Hulk/Avengers stategy with the Superman reboot.

No origin film, established Superman... and the film is a solo springboard to the JL film.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #84
rocco2216
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
The rumors making it sound like they're aping the Incredible Hulk/Avengers stategy with the Superman reboot.

No origin film, established Superman... and the film is a solo springboard to the JL film.
So even if The Man of Steel does very well it still wouldn't get a sequel you think? Cause I think they probably wanted to do a sequel to The Incredible Hulk but unfortunately it didn't do well. The ending had Dr. Sterns turning into the Leader but maybe he can be in The Avengers.

Last edited by rocco2216; 02-27-2010 at 06:28 PM.
rocco2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #85
Wally West
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Don't. If you mean Nolan's Bruce, then definitely don't. You should know that Nolan's Batman exists in a world without superheroes.
We haven't heard yet how much money Nolan's getting for taking all this on. In addition to that he's being given a great deal of creative control over the other ends of the DC film universe, so he will have control over how his film version of Batman is intergrated into that larger universe. I think all of that provides a healthy dose of incentive to allow a bit of superpowers to leak into the Batman films or at the very least allow his Batman to crossover into films with superpowered characters.

Wally West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #86
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

But he has stated that his Batman is self contained. How many times do I need to say this? Besides, if we're talking about Nolan's Batman in a JL film, let's talk about Bale. I'm pretty damn sure he'd rather shoot himself than participate in a JL film.

I just think this Nolan rumor is ******** and it shouldn't happen. Make a JL film in another ten years. Start building up Flash and WW beforehand.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #87
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
But he has stated that his Batman is self contained. How many times do I need to say this? Besides, if we're talking about Nolan's Batman in a JL film, let's talk about Bale. I'm pretty damn sure he'd rather shoot himself than participate in a JL film.

I just think this Nolan rumor is ******** and it shouldn't happen. Make a JL film in another ten years. Start building up Flash and WW beforehand.

I believe most of those things were said when WB's were actually considering making that abomination of a Justice League Mortal film that George Miller was going to direct.

Nolan and his team were vehemently against it (as were the level headed fans of DC character based films) and rightfully so, since that film would have directly crapped in the face of his Batman films and what him and his team were trying to accomplish.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #88
bgshw44
Side-Kick

i would rather have a worlds finest than JLA, but im just sooooooo happy for news! i think jonah nolan is a great choice will good people surrounding him.

cant you guys just be happy or do you always need to find something to comlain about?

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #89
Wally West
Side-Kick

Quote:

People say lots of things, but offer them enough money and power and they are often inclined to change thier minds.

As far as Bale goes, you're right for the most part. I'm almost positive he would refuse to do JL film...unless Christopher Nolan was directing it. IMO Getting Nolan to direct JL is WB's only shot at getting Bale onboard, and I have a feeling that was probably a factor in their decision. On the other side of things I can't see Nolan entertaining the idea of a recast when he has worked so successfully with Bale on the character to this point.

Wally West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #90
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco2216 View Post
So even if The Man of Steel does very well it still wouldn't get a sequel you think? Cause I think they probably wanted to do a sequel to The Incredible Hulk but unfortunately it didn't do well. The ending had Dr. Sterns turning into the Leader but maybe he can be in The Avengers.
Superman may get it's sequel AFTER Justice League.

Just as Ironman 3, Hulk 2, Captain American 2, Thor 2 etc would likely only happen AFTER Avengers.

Green Lantern *could* get a 2014 sequel before JLA... assuming the 2011 first film is successful.

IMO the earliest we could get a Chris Nolan "Justice League" is 2015... 3 years after Batman III.

DC is really paralleling Marvel.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #91
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze View Post
Thanks to aNDREW

Quote:
DREW 12 hours ago in reply to ojex

Jonah Nolan did a foreward to a dc graphic novel superman /Batman the search for kryptonite

"They're strange drinking pals, these two. Neither of them drinks, first off: Superman because he's too decent, and Batman because, welll ---- would a sledgehammer drink? Other than that, they have almost nothing in common. One of them is a god: the other is just a seriously angry mortal. One of them pretends to be a farm boy; the other pretends to be a wealthy bachelor. They're born heroes, but one of them dresses the part and the other dresses, to be honest, like a villian.

Full disclosure: I'm a little biased. I get a paycheck working for one of these guys, and it's not the Boy Scout. (I'm going to take Michael Green at his word with that Lance, the bottle-blond Batman, is no dig at any film set I've ever worked on.)

My preference aside, it's good to see these guys palling around together. Frankly, if they weren't friends with each other, I'm not sure either of them would have friends. Besides, they complement each other nicely, the idealist and the pragmatist -- the national mascot and the vigilante.

Who else could the Man of Steel turn to for help ridding the earth of the only substance that can harm him?
And who else would help him, even knowing, as Bats surely does, that it's an impossible task?

Impossible? Well, even if someone else wasn't hoarding kryptonite -- no, I'm not spoiling it, and so you'll have to keep reading -- there's always that one last nugget, sealed in a lead box, buried under a desk at DC Comics.

The ultimate betrayal? Sorry, Superman. But how the hell is anyone supposed to write stories about a guy without a single solitary weakness?

Now that the Man of Tomorrow has any right to complain -- he's in expert hands here. Artist Shane Dvis could give you a concussion with that pencil of his. I recommend borrowing a car to read the sequence where Superman gets punted through a corn elevator -- you're going to need the seatbelt. Michael Green and Mike Johnson know both of these heroes to a T. Want proof? Skip to the moment that Superman, still recovering from getting worked over, complains that no one ever seems to get the drop on Batman. Or skip to the last panel. Or just take my word for it.

World's finest? Damn straight. My only regret? We don't get a chance to see these guys tussle with each other a bit.

But I guess we all know who'd win that one.

--Jonah Nolan July 2008"
http://screenrant.com/chris-nolan-ju...ot-kofi-46796/
This worries the Superman fan in me greatly and makes me hope this rumor isn't true. I knew he and his brothers as well as Goyer had some issues fully understanding Batman. But their movie Batman retained enough thematics to not make me cry foul but we all know Batman is a hell of a lot more than just an angry guy & is nowhere near as one dimensional as the guy they have in the movies, he is overall a whole lot more. But I digress the topic heren nis Supes

For my hardcore DC Comics fans, we all know that the only reason to refer to Supes as a "god" is because of his power level but that he is honestly one of the most humane heroes in the entire DCU. We all know that he and Batman have far more in common than just wearing capes in the same universe.

I think the sad thing is these movie guys look at the works of cats like Loeb (who really doesn't fully get Batman) and Miller (who really has issues fully understanding Superman) and using their work as gospel into the comic universes. While overlooking works by other creators that do a lot better in truly breaking down both characters and their differences and similarities a hell of a lot better. So it misleads them (Ie: his silly implication that Batman could REALLY beat Superman in a duel).

It's just way too shallow and narrow a POV into the Superman concept at it's fullest so I really have mixed feelings about this rumor. For christ's sake he thinks Kal's only weakness is Kryptonite just like every other non fan and that he's a boring character to write because of this

Nevertheless the people financing all this should seemingly know what their doing after all I'm not in the movie making business. I'm just some punk who has been reading DC comics for 21 years and I'm only speaking as a fan. It be can't possibly be any worse than what Singer did if this all pans out right? at least I hope not best of luck to them all if this is true. Lord knows we need this to be awesome.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #92
rocco2216
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
Superman may get it's sequel AFTER Justice League.

Just as Ironman 3, Hulk 2, Captain American 2, Thor 2 etc would likely only happen AFTER Avengers.

Green Lantern *could* get a 2014 sequel before JLA... assuming the 2011 first film is successful.

IMO the earliest we could get a Chris Nolan "Justice League" is 2015... 3 years after Batman III.

DC is really paralleling Marvel.
I don't think The Incredible Hulk did well enough to get a sequel. And I'm sure Marvel wants sequels to The Avengers. The thing is these are definitely 5 franchises so far that they are setting up: The Man of Steel, Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Justice League.

Last edited by rocco2216; 02-27-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #93
rocco2216
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
This worries the Superman fan in me greatly and makes me hope this rumor isn't true. I knew he and his brothers as well as Goyer had some issues fully understanding Batman. But their movie Batman retained enough thematics to not make me cry foul but we all know Batman is a hell of a lot more than just an angry guy & is nowhere near as one dimensional as the guy they have in the movies, he is overall a whole lot more. But I digress the topic heren nis Supes

For my hardcore DC Comics fans, we all know that the only reason to refer to Supes as a "god" is because of his power level but that he is honestly one of the most humane heroes in the entire DCU. We all know that he and Batman have far more in common than just wearing capes in the same universe.

I think the sad thing is these movie guys look at the works of cats like Loeb (who really doesn't fully get Batman) and Miller (who really has issues fully understanding Superman) and using their work as gospel into the comic universes. While overlooking works by other creators that do a lot better in truly breaking down both characters and their differences and similarities a hell of a lot better. So it misleads them (Ie: his silly implication that Batman could REALLY beat Superman in a duel).

It's just way too shallow and narrow a POV into the Superman concept at it's fullest so I really have mixed feelings about this rumor. For christ's sake he thinks Kal's only weakness is Kryptonite just like every other non fan and that he's a boring character to write because of this

Nevertheless the people financing all this should seemingly know what their doing after all I'm not in the movie making business. I'm just some punk who has been reading DC comics for 21 years and I'm only speaking as a fan. It be can't possibly be any worse than what Singer did if this all pans out right? at least I hope not best of luck to them all if this is true. Lord knows we need this to be awesome.
Well that was in July 2008. Maybe now Chris Nolan and Jonah have grown to respect the characters. Maybe Goyer has educated them and now they understand. That's why Chris Nolan brought Goyer on board with him in the first place. Unlike Singer, Nolan wanted to respect the source material, not copy another movie.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #94
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Oh I know. I'm just hoping the Jonah rumor turns out to be untrue.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I hope its true. Hopefully their talent is genetic and the both got the good genes.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #95
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Nolan directing JLA? Yeah it's BS... I could see him helming a WF movie though.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #96
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco2216 View Post
Well that was in July 2008. Maybe now Chris Nolan and Jonah have grown to respect the characters. Maybe Goyer has educated them and now they understand. That's why Chris Nolan brought Goyer on board with him in the first place. Unlike Singer, Nolan wanted to respect the source material, not copy another movie.

I really hope so cause I mean he said "pretends to be a farm boy" I mean really c'mon now. Kal-El IS the farm boy because he is first and foremost a Kent, it is all he really knew before finding out about his true heritage. He respects and adores his kryptonian background but he is the son of Jonathan and Martha before everything else it's NOT a facade.

Superman is a facade to an extent and metropolis Clark even a greater facade but the "farm boy" well that's the middle ground between both facades and the real dude there is nothing "pretend" like about that at all. It's the guy the Kent's raised, the man Lois really knows as well as Bruce and Diana and others like Arthur & Hal. I hope he really gets this now.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #97
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Nolan directing JLA? Yeah it's BS... I could see him helming a WF movie though.
Is he a bad director?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #98
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Is he a bad director?

No but since he's involved with Batman and will "godfather" the Superman project it only seems logical really that he focuses on those 2 in a singular movie. As opposed to shuffling other character's who's movies he's not really involved with like GL and The Flash.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #99
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Which Nolan are we talking about?

I thought the Rumor was that Jonah Nolan would be directing, not his brother Chris, who would just be in some producer capacity?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #100
FaT_tONle
Banned User

If the Nolan's are indeed running the show, and WB does not trust anyone not named Nolan, which every indication seems to be, then I give Jonah Supes. If it's a mega hit (350 plus domestic), do a Superman trilogy back to back (2016-2017). I'd try to sneak a WF movie in there after Superman 1 if Chris is willing to do it and incoporate his universe. Give Goyer Flash or Green Arrow as he is pretty amenable to the Nolan line of work. I'd save the JLA movie until after Superman 3 as HHH stated. If they take 3-4 years between each Superman movie then you can probably fit JLA in before Superman 3 as the Iron Man franchise appears to be doing.

And btw, Jonah probably wouldn't direct JLA if he is doing a Superman trilogy unless it's well after his Superman trilogy is complete, because that's overwork. I don't see Chris doing it obviously, so they'd have to get another director for that. Maybe snatch the eventual Avengers director if he produces a mega hit.

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 02-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote