The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #101
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Superman Director Found

i totally agree for me with jl i would at least like a good films out for batman which we already have, superman in better placement with fans with reboot, and then at least have flash/ww have films to along with gl which starts up shortly. So then they could have them just be the main characters for jl, and intro other jl members via jl movie. Who more likely doesnt have a shot at a solo movie right like being mm and aquaman.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #102
Timstuff
Banned User

AND THUS BEGINS THE NOLAN DYNASTY OF DC!

Seriously though, if Jonah Nolan directs Superman I wish him the best of luck. I really hope he does some amazing things with it! And if Christopher directs Justice League? We will be in DC heaven, gents.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #103
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

me to tim

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #104
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
The rumors making it sound like they're aping the Incredible Hulk/Avengers stategy with the Superman reboot.

No origin film, established Superman... and the film is a solo springboard to the JL film.
Yeah if these rumours are true that seems posible but there could be a possibility of a having a sequel before JL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
AND THUS BEGINS THE NOLAN DYNASTY OF DC!

Seriously though, if Jonah Nolan directs Superman I wish him the best of luck. I really hope he does some amazing things with it! And if Christopher directs Justice League? We will be in DC heaven, gents.
Too many people are panicking regarding there been a Nolanverse, the DC universe that is Bruce Timms was pretty good so I dont see why a Nolanverse would be bad. I'm with you mate if Jonah gets the gig best of luck to him and if all this is true its an exciting time to not only be a Superman fan but a DC fan in general.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #105
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

jonah has no place directing this film.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #106
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
WB seems to think the contrary...

BTW... neither does Bryan Singer, he had his chance, blew it, and deserves a big kick in the ass as a goodbye... if Jonah is capable of making an amazing film and WB seems to think so... then I'm all for it. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Alonsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #107
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post

BTW... neither does Bryan Singer, he had his chance, blew it, and deserves a big kick in the ass as a goodbye... if Jonah is capable of making an amazing film and WB seems to think so... then I'm all for it. Period.
exactly if he makes a great Superman film all the doubters are gonna feel pretty stupid/

Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #108
superhey
Side-Kick

Good news!

superhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #109
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
exactly if he makes a great Superman film all the doubters are gonna feel pretty stupid/
Well, that is stretching it a bit. I mean, you can't blame people for having doubt in a guy making his directorial debut... Especially for Superman who is needing revitalized after a previous failed attempt.

I don't think they would feel/or look stupid if it ended up being good. They would probably just feel lucky it worked out.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #110
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
Well, that is stretching it a bit. I mean, you can't blame people for having doubt in a guy making his directorial debut... Especially for Superman who is needing revitalized after a previous failed attempt.

I don't think they would feel/or look stupid if it ended up being good. They would probably just feel lucky it worked out.
Doubts are fine but people saying he doesnt deserve to direct this film might feel pretty stupid if the end result is great.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #111
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Doubts are fine but people saying he doesnt deserve to direct this film might feel pretty stupid if the end result is great.
It depends on why they say that.

If the point is "How can you hand over the Superman franchise to someone for their directorial DEBUT???!"

Then I think that is a fair point, and if he did make a great film, I wouldn't say they were stupid to think there was a possibility for failure.

With that said, we've had a successful known director (Singer) and it didn't work out too well.

You just never know how it will go.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #112
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
It depends on why they say that.

If the point is "How can you hand over the Superman franchise to someone for their directorial DEBUT???!"

Then I think that is a fair point, and if he did make a great film, I wouldn't say they were stupid to think there was a possibility for failure.

With that said, we've had a successful known director (Singer) and it didn't work out too well.

You just never know how it will go.
Just don't forget that this "debutant" is the brother and on-set writer of one of the most successful directors of today... plus also on set writer for McG's Terminator. The guy has seen from VERY close how does a master direct a film, and is mentored by that very same person for this debut... most film makers that make a directorial debut haven't even been close to having that experience.

Quote:
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #113
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Just don't forget that this "debutant" is the brother and on-set writer of one of the most successful directors of today... plus also on set writer for McG's Terminator. The guy has seen from VERY close how does a master direct a film, and is mentored by that very same person for this debut... most film makers that make a directorial debut haven't even been close to having that experience.
Not a mark in Jonah's favor.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #114
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Not a mark in Jonah's favor.
Actually... if you consider what was in the original script, and how the film ended up... it's a BIG plus...

Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #115
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Terminator wasn't great.

Being close to seeing who is in charge, is good, but still different than BEING in charge.

I'm not setting him up as a failure, I'm just pointing out why some people would have doubts.

A directorial debut in an independent film? Sure.
How about commercial work? Sure.

How about you make your debut with a new franchise... SUPERMAN?

You can't see where there would be concern? Of course it can turn out well, but there are reasons to have doubt. Sheesh.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #116
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
People said same thing about Donner, Burton, Nolan, Favs, ect.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #117
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well even if jonah does direct as others have said we have no clue what type of director he will be. Plus we have no word on when things could be happening. Say if the film isnt going into production to summer/fall next year. Maybe jonah could work on a few short films, some commericals, music videos if he really wants to be a director. OR for all we know maybe jonah wont end up being the director and it will be some other "Fresh" director with maybe a few films/tv show episodes/music videos under their belt.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #118
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

You people thinking it's going to be someone like Singer, or Snyder or people that are further in their careers and that will want a certain degree of freedom... did you stop for a second to think WHY would Nolan mentor such a movie? Answer is very simple... it's a rookie director who is doing this... someone controllable by the studio and Nolan that either is making his directorial debut under their guidance or has AT MOST 1 or two semi-successful indie movies under his belt. You guys quit dreaming... you'll be much happier during the development and filming of this movie...

Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #119
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
You people thinking it's going to be someone like Singer, or Snyder or people that are further in their careers and that will want a certain degree of freedom... did you stop for a second to think WHY would Nolan mentor such a movie? Answer is very simple... it's a rookie director who is doing this... someone controllable by the studio and Nolan that either is making his directorial debut under their guidance or has AT MOST 1 or two semi-successful indie movies under his belt. You guys quit dreaming... you'll be much happier during the development and filming of this movie...
^The truth.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #120
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:

Don't understand why the need to make such a ballsy and risky move by wanting a VERY inexperienced potential director?

Maybe because the Nolans told WB's they will not do the Superman film or potential JL film otherwise? Hmm....

Anyways, why doesn't WB's and Nolan go with an experienced and excellent cinematographer like Wally Pfister to direct? It seems that Wally has more of an ideal film making background and resume to move forward and ascend to a directorial position?

All I'm saying is by having Jonah make his directorial DEBUT with such an important and big film the Man Of Steel will undoubtedly be, especially with the new Avatar type of technology being potentially used.....is an unnecessary risk IMO.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 02-28-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #121
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well who knows who will end up being the crew on the film. Yes it will probably be a rookie director from what we know/or supect to be happening. That doesnt mean the crew will be newbis. Plus with chris as a mentor/producer, goyer as a director/producer/writer, and who ever is DP and assistant directors could all have their hands in helping scope the film's vision.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #122
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

WB wanting an experienced director is why JJ didnt get to direct his script in 2002.

Who was Richard Donner before Superman, Burton before Batman, any of the Harry Potter directors before their Potter films, ect?

Everyone needs to start somewhere. If W.B. like the guy, than I would let him go. We want a studio film, not some artsy directors vision. We got am artsy vision with Superman Returns over the studio loved Abrams story, and look how that turned out. They wont be makign the same mistake again.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #123
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
It really looks like most people don't need to be told that, the concept of the idea is pretty obvious.

I'm pretty neutral on this one, I just don't get why they would look dumb to doubt a guy's directorial debut, with the biggest superhero name of all time. I mean, even if they did get a big name, people could still doubt the style of the experienced director for a film like Superman.

Say they announced Michael Bay the comments would be "He lacks substance, his movies are all flash."

Ehhh

You just don't know until it's made.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #124
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
WB wanting an experienced director is why JJ didnt get to direct his script in 2002.

Who was Richard Donner before Superman, Burton before Batman, any of the Harry Potter directors before their Potter films, ect?

Everyone needs to start somewhere. If W.B. like the guy, than I would let him go. We want a studio film, not some artsy directors vision. We got am artsy vision with Superman Returns over the studio loved Abrams story, and look how that turned out. They wont be makign the same mistake again.
^This...

WB missed Abrams not so long ago... and then went on to make SR. We all know who is Abrams now and why Singer wants to do another X-Men. What if they pass on Nolan too, give it to someone else with freedom and the movie ends up being another SR (expensive, boring and not so profitable)? This one is a studio film... period. They're going to make sure the movie is the movie they want and is as profitable as possible. Thus the name Nolan on it.

PS: And who was Favreau as a director before Iron Man? That one is even more interesting...

Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #125
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
^This...

WB missed Abrams not so long ago... and then went on to make SR. We all know who is Abrams now and why Singer wants to do another X-Men. What if they pass on Nolan too, give it to someone else with freedom and the movie ends up being another SR (expensive, boring and not so profitable)? This one is a studio film... period. They're going to make sure the movie is the movie they want and is as profitable as possible. Thus the name Nolan on it.

PS: And who was Favreau as a director before Iron Man? That one is even more interesting...
exactly

And regarding my earlier comments \S/JcDc\S/. All I was syaing before was some people are saying Jonah Nolan doesnt have the right to make a Superman film. who are we to say that? and if he makes a great one they're gonna think I shouldnt have said that. People can say he isnt their preference but they can't say he has no right.