www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #202
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: Superman Director Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
After having Burton, Petersen, Stone, Ratner, Abrams, McG, Bay and Singer and not getting anything other than BS from them... I'm more than willing to give a rookie director a shot... at least he'll care.
Totally derailing the topic here but I was totally unaware that Bay was at one time attached to Superman. Any details would be appreciated.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #203
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally hopefully they will all get the character right and put out a solid film.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #204
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Totally derailing the topic here but I was totally unaware that Bay was at one time attached to Superman. Any details would be appreciated.
The Superman logo appeared on his site at one point after the rumours of trouble with McG surfaced. Bay quickly denied it and said that it was a fan run site and the logo mysteriously disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich
After having Burton, Petersen, Stone, Ratner, Abrams, McG, Bay and Singer and not getting anything other than BS from them... I'm more than willing to give a rookie director a shot... at least he'll care.
I have to agree with this- they tried unsuccessfully many times to get a big name director to helm this pic, but problems arose with ego, or with a bigshot director not really having a vision of the movie, or knowledge of the mythos, or tried too much to put their stamp on it before respecting the source material. If it is true, the situation we have here with Jonah is different, and that may be what Superman needs. It is risky definitely, but taking a risk should be necessary, a bigshot director would reliably film big action scenes and deliver a safe pic. But Jonah is in a unique situation. He's a talented writer, has experience with big movies, and has an experienced writer/director brother overlooking the situation for him. It's not a completely new or alien situation for him. There's substance behind the guy. He cares about the story. It could very much be a journey of discovery for him too and something good could come out of it. The end result/worst case scenario could be something clunky and incompetent, but as long as he has his experienced support team that is less likely to happen. The best case scenario is something more than just a standard superhero action movie.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 03-09-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #205
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

hopefully if they risk it with jonah it will be a risk worth taking and he nails it.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #206
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
hopefully if they risk it with jonah it will be a risk worth taking and he nails it.
I would still be worried, mainly about the action scenes, but if it really is collaboration with Christopher and his team then hopefully we get the best Superman movie we can.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #207
GreenKToo
In the fire

Jonah may well deliver a homerun if he gets the chance.
I just wish it wasn't Superman that he'll possibly cut his teeth on.
If it were say Captain Marvel, or The Flash he was directing, i'd feel better about it. They have no previous films to compare to, and in our case, overcome.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #208
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

Does it bother anyone that, with Jonah at the helm (if indeed true), that there will be a lack of actors wanting to work with a first time director? Alot of actors pick their next project based on the script and director that they want to work with. Do you guys think there will be a lack of talent for the reboot?

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #209
Crook
Banned User

Do you really think the "TDK trio" is going to have any trouble in attracting talent? Especially for a major blockbuster?

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #210
GreenKToo
In the fire

I have my reservations but with chris overseeing it, it should be alright.
I'll feel better about it once he is announced (if he is) and we hear what he has to say.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #211
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

I've been fairly mum on this, but I'm not crazy at the idea. He's a good enough writer, but I don't want to take the risk on an unproven director. Furthermore, while Chris Nolan will likely be producing in this case, that doesn't ease me at all, as Chris Nolan is just the wrong type of director for Superman. I dunno, just not digging this.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #212
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've been fairly mum on this
Shockingly so, I'd say.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #213
GreenKToo
In the fire

Well if Chris is overseeing it, I can't see a proven director welling to play second fiddle, and they will be second fiddle, to Nolan. Doesnt mean it won't happen though.
When all the talk about directors first came out, before the nolan news broke, I was wishing for names like Jackson, Abrams, or Bay, yes Bay, to get it.
Now, it will IMO pretty much be a puppet director. We shall see.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #214
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea there is still alot of risk for any one to be named director. But if jonah is it i am sure they will do things right and with a group effort from chris, david and who ever else is producers/dp and all that will probably help rise jonah up on things he doesnt totally get and all that. As for casting i am sure there will be nothing to worry about there.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #215
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Okay what if they went the usual route- they got an Orci and Kurtzmann type to write a serviceable script, then they hired a JJ Abrams or Bay or the like to direct. That movie would deliver all the the requirements of a summer blockbuster. But what is the situation here instead? We've Nolan/Goyer/Nolan exploring the world of superheroes first with Batman and then Superman, creating a mythology, studying the source material, hopefully creating a shared universe in some way. They will be deeply involved in both Batman and Superman as a team- something they're used to.

Yes, the directing still worries me but I'm hoping that Chris Nolan is there on set especially for all the major action set pieces.

I don't see Chris Nolan willing to be advisor to anyone BUT Jonah, that's why we got these announcements I mean leaks that Chris would be the mentor, that Goyer would write- the big names emphasised before they hit us with Jonah directing. And I don't really see him as a "puppet director"- because of his unique situation- his inexperience- he would need help. And it's help from his brother, they already have a collaborative working relationship. It's not like they're getting some lesser name hack director willing to do whatever Chris Nolan wants. Nor would a more experienced director need or appreciate another director like Chris Nolan constantly looking over their shoulder.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 03-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #216
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

I think we can be pretty sure that Jonah Nolan is now directing after reading that LA times article (which is great by the way). It seems as though Chris and Goyer are going to be very hands on with Superman. It seems as though everything is pointing toward Jonah directing, but of course anything is possible.

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #217
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea very likely from the article though if it isnt jonah, i wonder who will nab the chair?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #218
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelkilla View Post
I think we can be pretty sure that Jonah Nolan is now directing after reading that LA times article (which is great by the way). It seems as though Chris and Goyer are going to be very hands on with Superman. It seems as though everything is pointing toward Jonah directing, but of course anything is possible.
I think its very likely, lets hope it is who knows if he does a good job, he may end up taking over Batman when Chris is done with it.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #219
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelkilla View Post

How so? I read the article too and i hardly so his name mentioned.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #220
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well even though nolan did talk about things. He didnt really spill any major things. which is a nolan thing for nolan. wanting to keep things private.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #221
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

It could be viewed that this interview would be a help to Jonah Nolan if he were to step in as director. It not only confirms the rumours, it also reassures people that C.Nolan and Goyer are definitely involved. That they are taking this project seriously, had a large hand in the story etc. That would be a good set up for a less (no) experienced director like Jonah Nolan to slip right in there and be announced as director. Also, Chris makes sure to point out that Jonah is working hard writing the Batman 3 script. (And again, it's strange in the first place for Chris to appoint himself "mentor" like that, instead of just taking a producer credit.)

Then again, I can still see this going either way. A less experienced director could also be someone like Carl Rinsch (who was to have directed the Alien prequel), someone who is talented but has only done commercials and short films. Someone like Rinsch could benefit from a mentor like Nolan as well. (Even though he might be getting more experience now with 47 Ronin.)

If Jonah is considered too green then someone like Rinsch could be seen as less of a risk because he has at least directed commercials and shorts that also included visual effects. Then again, look at Rinsch, he is getting movie offers now, he has never directed a feature movie before, and he doesn't need a "mentor". Only someone really inexperienced seems to need a mentor.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #222
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

what ever is the case i hope they will give us a great film.

www.ItsJustMovies.com