The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #26
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: One thing they need to get right......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
I just hope they get the tone right. Make it fun and interesting to watch. Iron Man got it right in spades, interesting characters, great effects, fun to watch, it can't put into words how much fun it was to watch him fly for the first time (in the Mach 2 armor), that's the kind of stuff i want out of my superman, something serious enough for adults to enjoy but also something you can take your kids to see.

Also the lois and clark element has got to be interesting to watch, something you can invest your emotions into and enjoy watching their interaction. If they can make all the daily planet staff interesting to watch with a special focus on lois and clark while making the movie fun and enjoyable i think they'll have a winning combination.
I sort of agree with the bolded, but at the same, Iron Man (that scene included) just didnt have the epic feel a Superman movie should, nothing in Iron Man had me in as much awe as I was in that single scene in SR when Superman fly's above the clouds to bath himself in sunlight, THIS is the type of thing a Superman movie needs, SR just didnt have enough of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
I don't want Superman more unflawed than an angel.

I want him to be conflicted to stay the course that he knows is right. Here is a guy who has more power than anything in the world and wants to save the world. He could do it--usually easily. It is his conflict to do it without crossing the line and hurting anyone or exacting his "own" breed of justice but by leaving that role to those who should. He shouldn't be self righteous. He should understand how incredible he is, and it should be a burden on him that he could save the world from pain and suffering if he did act God-like, but refuses to do so.

This touches on the "they are a great people Kal-el they wish to be, they only lack the light to show the way". He could just do it for them, but needs to struggle to only be an example and not a cure all.

He also has to struggle with how much power he has, displayed best in his fight with Darkseid in Justice League: Unlimited.

-R
This is all spot on, you should know you are in the presence of someone who is practically a god, yet he acts as humans SHOULD, giving of fthe perfect example to the rest of humanity, the 'light to show the way' so to speak.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

When i say it needs to be epic, I mean the film has to be epic it has to blow you away, it doesnt mean Superman has to be unstoppable or even too powerful it just means the film has to grip you, excite you and leave you feeling satisfied at the end.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I sort of agree with the bolded, but at the same, Iron Man (that scene included) just didnt have the epic feel a Superman movie should, nothing in Iron Man had me in as much awe as I was in that single scene in SR when Superman fly's above the clouds to bath himself in sunlight, THIS is the type of thing a Superman movie needs, SR just didnt have enough of it.
I agree, Superman should be above Iron Man. I was just talking about the fun aspect. The scene in superman returns was powerful but not fun, and that's fine b/c i'm sure that's what they were going for. I'm saying the GA also wants to have fun with this type of movie. I for one want to enjoy the adventure aspect of the character, to feel like i'm flying with superman and seeing how much he enjoys it. That's the sort of thing i think would really connect with an audience.

SR had too much reverence for the ideal of the character and not enough, personality. It attempted to leave you in awe but just wound up boring a lot of people. I just think they need to set the right balance. Star Trek is another good example. it had it fun/exciting moments but also it's serious character moments. Superman needs a similar treatment. It needs to certainly be epic but it needs to be fun and feature characters the audience can care about/enjoy watching ala Lois and Clark.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #29
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

This is the kind of thing i'd love to see on the big screen, epic and fun:

Quote:
Here's a few things i'd like to see on screen:

Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Daybreak_st I agree that would be a great scene.

I wish they'd have adapted Birthright (not everything in it but most everything) into a film instead of making Superman Returns.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
elgaz
Side-Kick

I agree that Superman needs to look epic on screen. The audience needs to be in awe of what he can do, as the biggest and best of all heroes. How to achieve that is the question - there's no single easy answer. Whoever makes the film will have to make wonders of everything he does - the flying, the heroics, the action, his nobility. It's all about the presentation.

Singer let the flying down big time by relying too much on below-par CGi. When you take away the believability of the scene, it loses all impact. Whereas the Donner Superman, which came almost 30 years before Singer's, may have relied on wires and camera tricks, but at least we believed that really was Reeve up there.

I also think for sheer epic-ness, we need to see Superman getting angry in the new film. Not angry in a bad way ............i.e. losing his control or his temper with an innocent ................ but angry in a good way, e.g. he's about to deliver a massive beatdown to some villain who has just threatened Earth.

The one scene which still makes the hairs stand on my neck from the original Superman movie is this one, where Superman sobs quietly for a few seconds as he struggles to accept that Lois is dead .................... before unleashing his anger and frustration in one scream and flying towards space. It may not be as iconic as some other superman scenes/images, but I remember being wowed by the sheer virtue of this massively powerful being suddenly just losing it and deciding to change history.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #32
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
The one scene which still makes the hairs stand on my neck from the original Superman movie is this one, where Superman sobs quietly for a few seconds as he struggles to accept that Lois is dead .................... before unleashing his anger and frustration in one scream and flying towards space. It may not be as iconic as some other superman scenes/images, but I remember being wowed by the sheer virtue of this massively powerful being suddenly just losing it and deciding to change history.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That was a great show in range of emotion. That is the far end of grief.

I do not envy anyone who has to try to follow that.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #33
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally i hope we get the right tone, feel, and look for the film. I agree do more physical shooting for things then relying on cgi for things. Like flying should be the actual actors in wires and all that. Not relying on a full cgi creation.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
I agree, Superman should be above Iron Man. I was just talking about the fun aspect. The scene in superman returns was powerful but not fun, and that's fine b/c i'm sure that's what they were going for. I'm saying the GA also wants to have fun with this type of movie. I for one want to enjoy the adventure aspect of the character, to feel like i'm flying with superman and seeing how much he enjoys it. That's the sort of thing i think would really connect with an audience.

SR had too much reverence for the ideal of the character and not enough, personality. It attempted to leave you in awe but just wound up boring a lot of people. I just think they need to set the right balance. Star Trek is another good example. it had it fun/exciting moments but also it's serious character moments. Superman needs a similar treatment. It needs to certainly be epic but it needs to be fun and feature characters the audience can care about/enjoy watching ala Lois and Clark.
Definately, there are characters I prefer to Superman, but Superman as a character just has something about him that other characters cant touch and simply dont have, no matter how much they try. And it is evident in everything Superman does, from comics to movies, you can notice it.

This is something they really need to pay attention to, as it is as an important part of the character as his beliefs and background IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #35
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
The flying in Superman Returns SUCKED, IMO.

This is a step in the right direction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesqrpseNAg
I agree..and that vid is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Wow. Enjoyed that more than any of the flying scenes done in SR.
Same here!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #36
Superman Prime

This is off topic, but someone did post a Birthright pic.

Does anyone know why that was retconned out as Superman's canon origins? Curious.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #37
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that is a good question. Though there has been multi origins since the bryne one so it was pretty common thing for DC to be doing right?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
This is off topic, but someone did post a Birthright pic.

Does anyone know why that was retconned out as Superman's canon origins? Curious.
Not sure why, but I personally really enjoyed it, thought it was a great origin story, and the ending was very emotional, would make a great movie IMO.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Not sure why, but I personally really enjoyed it, thought it was a great origin story, and the ending was very emotional, would make a great movie IMO.
I agree, its so enjoyable, would have made a superb origin movie.

I think Routh would have been great in a Superman Birthright movie.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #40
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Found this on wikipedia regarding birthright:

Removal
The Infinite Crisis storyline altered Superman's early history so that Birthright and John Byrne's The Man of Steel mini-series were removed as Superman's canonical origin. This was reinforced by then-monthly Superman writer Kurt Busiek's statement that the post-Infinite Crisis Superman's origin had yet to be established.[4] The new origin is currently being shown in the Superman: Secret Origin mini-series.[5]

You can read the rest of the article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Birthright

Old 03-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #41
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Couldn't care less about how Birthright or Man of Steel work as cannon or continuity. One of the reasons I don't read(and really dislike) most comic titles is because they are so hung up on boring, convoluted continuity. Books like Y the Last Man and Preacher are different because they have endings and are in their own self-contained universes, but with DC and Marvel, there are hundreds issues with multiple titles, multiple writers with different writing styles in one big cluster**** of continuity. I hate it. DC showed real promise with the All-Star line. Writers just writing the best damn story they can without being hamstrung by continuity. Instead, they just decided to abandon it.

I don't care if Birthright is a cannon or not. I think it's a pretty great Superman story.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #42
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

I agree about Birthright being great whether its cannon or not.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #43
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post
y'know....they really do need to evoke the uplifting, joyful, and liberating feeling of being able to fly.

They need to make the audience FEEL that as Superman flies.
Tell me this won't be the toyota err honda commercial again? Bah I recognize the link w/o clicking on it. I've been around the forums too long

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #44
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that was a pretty good flying in that commerical though. Heck i was watching hook earlier in the evening on abc family and for a film from the early 90s. the flying with pan was very good for its time.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #45
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
The flying in Superman Returns SUCKED, IMO.

This is a step in the right direction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesqrpseNAg
Wow...I wholeheartedly agree. That was above and beyond anything they showed in SR. I could totally see something like this in a Smallville flashback sequence.

This clip really makes you feel like you're flying with the person.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #46
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i hope they make flying look real great next time.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #47
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

DId you guys see the new iron man trailer? The production on Superman is going to have to be TOP NOTCH, bc that movie looks so crazy amazing it's hard to put into words! Also you know the acting is gonna be great so yeah, hopefully the superman folks will remember this is a new age of comicbook cinema, either bring your A game or don't come at all.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #48
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Right. Superman's gotta be bigger, better and more spectacular than any other superhero on screen, just like he is in comics. To me a Superman movie should always be mind blowing, like when the first Donner film came out.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #49
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally agree there. with these films these days toping with story/special effects. i hope they can hit it out of the park for superman this next time. Also get good sfx and make it look real. The sfx in SR was very terrible compared to some of the other films that were out that yr or year later.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #50
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I agree, its so enjoyable, would have made a superb origin movie.

I think Routh would have been great in a Superman Birthright movie.
Totally agreed, bit gutted they didnt do that back in 2006 now even though I love SR, but it would have been a great jumping off point for a great Superman series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Right. Superman's gotta be bigger, better and more spectacular than any other superhero on screen, just like he is in comics. To me a Superman movie should always be mind blowing, like when the first Donner film came out.
Exactly, this is the 'epicness' of the character I am talking about, when you think of Superman with other heroes you should think how they arent as good as him, or as noble, he should be above and beyond anyone or anything else.