The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #51
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: One thing they need to get right......

i just hope they wont make any stupid mistakes this time.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #52
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

To be honest I dont think they made THAT many mistakes last time, they got far more right than wrong IMO, but it seemed those mistakes were too much in the eyes of many fans.

If they are going to make mistakes, which they will as no movie is perfect, they need to make sure they arent major ones, which is a tough act to juggle.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #53
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

I think the big they got wrong last time was tone. It wasn't a fun movie to watch. If they get the tone right first, make it fun and enjoyable, exciting/adventerous etc., and write a great story, i think the audience will forgive any mistakes they make, primarily b/c they'll still enjoy just watching the movie, and they'll leave the theatre with great feeling.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #54
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well i do hope they do get the right tone, feel and scope for the character.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #55
nogap87
Side-Kick

I have no problem with Superman being an inspiration and loved by the public. I just hope they remember that they're making a movie about a superhero and not a Jesus-in-tights flick.

The scene where Superman reveals himself to the city by saving Lois and the helicoptor in the first Superman movie is still my favorite scene from any superhero movie. If they can replicate the excitement and wonder of that scene for a whole 2hrs than the next movie will be fine.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #56
SuperDaniel
Banned User

They made 3 HUGE mistakes in SR. Superman, Lois and Luthor. Superman wasn`t fun to see, put in the middle of a family crisis with no resolution so you end up feeling sorry for him. (you just don`t deal with a theme like this in a Superman movie, period!) ; Lois was just Lana from Smallville, no spunk, whinney and portrayed badly; and Luthor was just the Donner Luthor i hate so much. Basically, the whole movie. Hero and his quest+ love interest + villain

2 good things came from it: Brandon Routh who unfortunately won`t be used in the new movie which is a shame and waste.

and the NOLAN REBOOT.

BRING IT ON!

Last edited by SuperDaniel; 03-17-2010 at 05:10 AM.
SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #57
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Totally there was alot wrong with SR for me as a superman fan. I cant wait to see how nolans/goyer will handle things now.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #58
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
I think the big they got wrong last time was tone. It wasn't a fun movie to watch. If they get the tone right first, make it fun and enjoyable, exciting/adventerous etc., and write a great story, i think the audience will forgive any mistakes they make, primarily b/c they'll still enjoy just watching the movie, and they'll leave the theatre with great feeling.
Yeah, I thought the tone was pretty good sometimes, but the 3rd act and the resolution of it was a bit of a downer. Now, personally, the 3rd act of SR is my favourite part of the movie, but you dont end a summer blockbuster like that, it needs to end on a more uplifting note.

SR got the feeling sorry for the character part a little too much, he needs to be sympathetic AND awe inspiring.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #59
DarKJediKnight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
They made 3 HUGE mistakes in SR. Superman, Lois and Luthor. Superman wasn`t fun to see, put in the middle of a family crisis with no resolution so you end up feeling sorry for him. (you just don`t deal with a theme like this in a Superman movie, period!) ; Lois was just Lana from Smallville, no spunk, whinney and portrayed badly; and Luthor was just the Donner Luthor i hate so much. Basically, the whole movie. Hero and his quest+ love interest + villain

2 good things came from it: Brandon Routh who unfortunately won`t be used in the new movie which is a shame and waste.

and the NOLAN REBOOT.

BRING IT ON!
I agree with you on this one. I think BR is the of the good things that came out of SR that I can think of. I would be really upset if he won't make it in this reboot (we still don't know yet if he will or he won't be included in this project), but I won't really lose my mind if he doesn't get the Superman part.

DarKJediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #60
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

its really doubtful they would go with routh at all. They want to get as far away from SR as possible. Sure i know its sucks for the folks who did like him in the role and all that. But from WB point it would be better to clean slate the whole thing. So the film is totally fresh.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #61
GreenKToo
In the fire

I can't wait to see what Nolan and company do with Brainiac.
I have about a dozen questions running through my mind about it.
Questions like; Will the threat Brainiac brings be Global and will we get to see that its global.
Will we finally get the superfight(s) that we've been begging for..
Will it be an A list actor in the role, even if its just his voice.

Can't wait to find out.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #62
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I think the threat has to be global in order to get that 'epicness' I was talking about in the very first post, Superman has to put his life on the line for the earth in this movie for me.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #63
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally there is so much they have to work with i cant wait myself to see what type of picture nolans/goyer will give to us.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #64
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I have nothing against America but when people say Superman should be truth, justice and the American way I just think BS. End of the day hes supposed to be a hero for the world not just for one country.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #65
Superman Prime

Quote:
I have nothing against America but when people say Superman should be truth, justice and the American way I just think BS. End of the day hes supposed to be a hero for the world not just for one country.
That's nice, but you need to understand that he was originally created to be an American hero. During WWII he was in the comics fighting on behalf of the allies.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #66
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
That's nice, but you need to understand that he was originally created to be an American hero. During WWII he was in the comics fighting on behalf of the allies.
Yeah and thats fair enough but it annoys me when we get it jammed down our throats. Like in SR I actually like that he said Truth, Justice, all that stuff. Like I say nothing against America.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #67
ChickenScratch
Banned User

There's nothing wrong with loving Superman if you are not American, but there's no denying what he was created as. Just like I can love Miyamoto Musashi though I am American because his life and his book mean a lot to me.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #68
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i get the deal with non american fans on that aspect.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #69
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

The truth is, the line used to be "Truth and Justice" the American Way was added during the radio show i believe to become more patriotic so it's not like the line was always there. Truth and Justice is more universal anyway.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #70
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Actual i'm wrong the change was made even later:

A radio program called The Adventures of Superman first broadcast on February 12, 1940. The show began each episode with people shouting "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's SUPERMAN!" The introduction also stated that Superman was dedicated to fighting for "truth and justice."

Several years later in the 1950's, a television series entitled The Adventures of Superman began, starring George Reeves in the title role. This occasionally tongue-in-cheek adventure program entertained viewers of all ages and ensured that there would be no one left in the U.S. who wouldn't be able to recognize the man in red and blue or his reporter alter ego. Since it was the time of the red scare in the U.S., this new TV series changed Superman's mission from "truth and justice" to "truth, justice and the American way!"

you can read the rest here: http://alankistler.squarespace.com/j...an-part-1.html

Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #71
nogap87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah and thats fair enough but it annoys me when we get it jammed down our throats. Like in SR I actually like that he said Truth, Justice, all that stuff. Like I say nothing against America.
I had no problem with them leaving out "the American way". I just thought "all that stuff" sounded like crappy writing.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #72
SuperDaniel
Banned User

"American way" began because of the Cold War. It`s quite simple.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #73
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
"American way" began because of the Cold War. It`s quite simple.
Yep, and as Daybreak St. noted, it's a Red Scare phrase. I'd be just fine with dropping it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #74
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally i wouldnt mind if it was just truth and justice used in.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #75
Superman Prime

I'd make it "Truth, Justice, and Hope for a Better Tomorrow" if it was ever my job to choose a tagline.