Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #901
James
Built from Lego

Default Re: FXs new drama - Justified - starring Timothy Olyphant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Love when Tim and Colt were trying to outwit each other. There banter back and forth was awesome. And Tim outsmarted him. "Circle the wagons!"
That's another thing I love about this episode -there were a ton of references to classic Westerns. I can't recall every instance, but given how often the characters were using terms associated with Westerns I'm pretty confident it was intentional. "Taking the pass", etc.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #902
Maximus One
Oddball

Bob and Colt just have to survive the season. Both of them are the best additions to this cast since Limehouse and the Bennets.

Also I've been wondering, do you guys think we're ever going to get to meet Theo? Wasn't he Robert Quarles boss from Detroit as well? That's pretty cool for real cuz it's created this air of mystery surrounding the character. Hopefully if we ever do meet him they cast somebody damn good

Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #903
georgec
Not a hero

I'm dreaming of a Raylan/Theo sit down at a table.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #904
Maximus One
Oddball

I just hope in the final season we end up getting a huge Raylan/Boyd showdown.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #905
James
Built from Lego

I think Theo will be a big villain, perhaps thee big villain when all's said and done. We already know he's powerful, and he's got the classic facial disfigurement of a major bad guy. Unless I'm mistaken, the entire "kill Drew" business is all because he wants revenge...that's some seriously scary dude, given the lengths he's gone/going to.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #906
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Bob and Colt just have to survive the season. Both of them are the best additions to this cast since Limehouse and the Bennets.

Also I've been wondering, do you guys think we're ever going to get to meet Theo? Wasn't he Robert Quarles boss from Detroit as well? That's pretty cool for real cuz it's created this air of mystery surrounding the character. Hopefully if we ever do meet him they cast somebody damn good
We saw Theo in Season 3. Adam Arkin portrayed him. Sheduling conflicts kept him from appearing this season. But we got another great supporting character in Nick Augustine out of it.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #907
Maximus One
Oddball

Oh ok! I remember now! We saw him on the phone a few times. Duh

Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #908
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
We saw Theo in Season 3. Adam Arkin portrayed him. Sheduling conflicts kept him from appearing this season. But we got another great supporting character in Nick Augustine out of it.
Right you are. Did he have a missing eye? They've mentioned a couple of times this season that Drew stabbed Theo's eye out.

Last edited by James; 03-21-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #909
Maximus One
Oddball

Wtf! Watching the season 1 finale and I completely do not remember that it was Bo Crowder who shot Johnny. I've been thinking it was Boyd who put him in the wheelchair hence Johnny's grudge against Boyd. Weird. Don't see how I didn't remember it was Bo

Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #910
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think Theo will be a big villain, perhaps thee big villain when all's said and done. We already know he's powerful, and he's got the classic facial disfigurement of a major bad guy. Unless I'm mistaken, the entire "kill Drew" business is all because he wants revenge...that's some seriously scary dude, given the lengths he's gone/going to.
Not simply revenge. Drew can put him away.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #911
Maximus One
Oddball

I gotta say, I miss the Bennets. The one thing that stops this show from being as good as stuff like The Shield, Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad is how there isn't really a broad story being told here. Some of the episodes (less this season) are kinda self contained and then the seasons are almost completely self contained. The other shows I listed more or less are like watching really long movies with each episode basically picking right up where the last left off. The Shield had some procedural aspects to it too but the over arching story was just so prevalent from the first to last episode. It isn't really the case here IMHO

Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #912
Rez
Side-Kick

In any other case, I'd agree with you, but the writing on Justified is better than the likes of even shows as great as The Shield or Breaking Bad... so I can live without the strict through storyline. Besides, the show's not over yet.. The Wire brought everything full circle, and so will this.

In the end the show will have been Raylan vs. Boyd, and everything that brought them to that final moment. The more I think about it the more I would love for Boyd to be .. wait for it.. justified.. in completely hating and really going after Raylan. Like if, say, Raylan killed Ava or was responsible for her death.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #913
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I like that this show ISN'T like Breaking Bad. I love BB don't get me wrong, but I like a little variety in what I watch.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #914
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
In any other case, I'd agree with you, but the writing on Justified is better than the likes of even shows as great as The Shield or Breaking Bad... so I can live without the strict through storyline. Besides, the show's not over yet.. The Wire brought everything full circle, and so will this.
Each to their own

I'm not sure what you mean by The Wire bringing everything full circle. As good as that show was, it still left stuff hanging.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #915
Maximus One
Oddball

Yea, I ****ing hated season 5 of The Wire. Cept for Omar. I agree about Raylan vs Boyd though. That's what this show is really about is those two. Basically, it's as much Raylan's show as it is Boyd's to a degree. I just still wish this was a tad more serialized. This season has been top notch though I will say that

Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #916
Maximus One
Oddball

Wtf man! I do not remember Herschel from Walking Dead being in season 2 at all.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #917
Rez
Side-Kick

Quote:
Each to their own

I'm not sure what you mean by The Wire bringing everything full circle. As good as that show was, it still left stuff hanging.

I thought the cyclical nature of the show was extremely obvious. The greatest thing about the finale was how much it mirrored the pilot. Characters changed but they just changed into eachother's roles, and rather than it seeming quickly thrown together it seemed like a natural progression of events from seasons worth of stories.

Not sure what you mean by left stuff hanging- if you're talking about things like "they never captured The Greek.." or "Marlo's back on the streets.." then I think you're sort of missing the point. Concrete endings for the characters in this show was never the goal, although with so many characters some of them did take a back seat.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #918
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post

Not sure what you mean by left stuff hanging- if you're talking about things like "they never captured The Greek.." or "Marlo's back on the streets.." then I think you're sort of missing the point. Concrete endings for the characters in this show was never the goal, although with so many characters some of them did take a back seat.
No, nothing like that. Those were obvious conclusions, and there was no need for them to do any action movie "catch all the bad guys" nonsense, because that was never what the series was about. I'm talking more about the entire newspaper plot, season five introduced a lot of stuff revolving around that and we never saw any kind of conclusion. Clearly this was set up to continue throughout season six/seven but they got the boot, so never had the chance to take it where it was supposed to go.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #919
Maximus One
Oddball

I hated the newspaper plot and Mcnulty's whole fake serial killer.

Speaking of which though, I just watched season 2 of this the other day (Justified) and I gotta say Boyd in a ton of instances reminds me of Omar from The Wire. Like a kick version but he's just extremely cunning and a total wild card who always plays both sides against the middle like Omar always did. Plus they're both outstanding stick up artists lol.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #920
Rez
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, nothing like that. Those were obvious conclusions, and there was no need for them to do any action movie "catch all the bad guys" nonsense, because that was never what the series was about. I'm talking more about the entire newspaper plot, season five introduced a lot of stuff revolving around that and we never saw any kind of conclusion. Clearly this was set up to continue throughout season six/seven but they got the boot, so never had the chance to take it where it was supposed to go.

100% disagree, while this wasn't quite as fleshed out as the other seasons due to being cut a couple of episodes, the newspaper plot was finished and if we saw them again I'm sure it would have been under different circumstances- either a "where are they now" type cameo or weaving them into whatever new plot was come up with. What was dangling here? The print industry is in shambles, real journalism takes a backseat to made up sensationalist garbage, the real reporter fails and the bs-ing douchebag wins. Not sure what else you were expecting or hoping for

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #921
James
Built from Lego

We'll just have to agree to disagree

Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #922
Rez
Side-Kick

AGREED.

In other news I am dreading this show being off the air until next year.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #923
Maximus One
Oddball

Has it been renewed yet? Crime of the ****ing century if it doesn't get a fitting end

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #924
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Has it been renewed yet? Crime of the ****ing century if it doesn't get a fitting end
Its got six seasons planned and FX rarely cancels a show. You have nothing to worry about.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #925
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

I haven't watched any of this new season. Can someone just give a quick rundown of the story this year?