The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

Default Aquarius - NBC Orders Charles Manson Drama Starring David Duchovny

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/nbc-...-eye-alliance/
Quote:
NBC Orders Charles Manson Drama Series Starring David Duchovny From Marty Adelstein & ITV Studios Who Eye Alliance
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Following the end of his Showtime dark comedy series Californication, David Duchovny is reuniting with former Showtime topper Bob Greenblatt for Aquarius, a gritty 1960s cop drama at NBC about the Charles Manson murders. The project, envisioned as an event series, has received a 13-episode straight-to-series order. It will be produced by ITV Studios America and Marty Adelstein Prods in the first collaboration between the companies, which have been in lengthy talks about a joint venture-type of partnership, in which Marty Adelstein Prods would function as a mini studio under the ITV Studios America umbrella following its upcoming exit from 20th Century Fox TV, where Adelstein had been based for a long time. Aquarius, written on spec by John McNamara (In Plain Sight), marks the return to broadcast TV of Duchovny, who toplined Fox’s hit The X Files, in which Greenblatt also was involved while at Fox.

Set in the late 1960s, Aquarius stars Duchovny as a Los Angeles police sergeant with a complicated personal life who starts tracking a small-time criminal and budding cult leader seeking out vulnerable women to join his “cause.” The name of that man is Charles Manson. The twists and turns of a complicated undercover operation will lead Duchovny’s character and his young partner to the brink of Manson’s crimes that will that will eventually lead to the Tate-LaBianca murders in subsequent seasons. “Event series are a big priority for us, and the combination of a show that charts the lead-up to the Manson murders, along with a television star of the magnitude of David Duchovny, is the very definition of an event,” said NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke. Added Greenblatt, “After being involved in the production of both The X-Files and Californication, it gives me great pleasure to work with David Duchovny for the third time on this compelling drama.” Aquarius joins another Charles Manson project, a limited series which is in development at Fox with writer Bret Easton Ellis and director Rob Zombie.

McNamara will executive produce with Duchovny, Adelstein and Duchovny’s manager Melanie Greene. The project stems from a script Adelstein, which had had for a long time and which had been excluded from his 20th TV deal. He recently revisited it, felt it would be perfect for Duchovny who was becoming available post-Californication and sent it to him. With Duchovny on board, the project was set up at NBC. Duchovny, who also is repped by Resolution and attorney Peter Nelson, had a recurring role on ABC’s Twin Peaks before starring for nine seasons as Fox Mulder in the iconic series The X-Files. The seventh and final season of Californication premieres next month. Duchovny won Golden Globes for both The X-Files and Californication and has received four Emmy nominations, including two for The X-Files.
Oh, that NBC trying to get the jump on FOX. May the best network win.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Teelie
General-ly Bananas

Default Re: Aquarius - NBC Orders Charles Manson Drama Starring David Duchovny

"Event-series" is an increasingly popular way to say "we have no idea how this is going to work" so they can say it was only meant to run 13 episodes if it bombs badly.

I'm not sure I'll have interest in another series set in the 1960's, not even in a (gotta be) "gritty" world that takes itself too seriously.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

http://tvline.com/2014/06/20/aquariu...es-manson-nbc/
Quote:
Game of Thrones Vet Cast as Charles Manson in NBC's Aquarius; FNL, Bunheads Alums Also Join Drama
By Michael Ausiello / June 20 2014, 12:32 PM PDT

A killer trio have joined David Duchovny in NBC’s Charles Manson-themed event series Aquarius, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Game of Thrones’ Gethin Anthony, Friday Night Lights’ Grey Damon and Bunheads’ Emma Dumont have boarded the 1960s-set drama, which stars Duchovny as a cop who goes undercover to track Manson and his brood.

Anthony — who on Thrones played Renly Baratheon — will portray Manson, described here as the “archetypal Authentic Hippie Freak” whose intense charisma draws young followers to him in droves. A jailbird who has spent half his life in prison, Manson dominates his young women followers through a combination of sex, drugs and a paternalistic and caring attitude that masks his inner evil. A dark, seductive force of nature, he recruits young Emma Karn (played by Dumont) to his ranks — but his interest in her may be far beyond the merely sexual. In fact, he may have embroiled her father in a far-reaching conspiracy.

Damon, meanwhile, will co-star as Hodiak’s (Duchovny) new partner — and the two are well-matched in their maverick methods and savvy instincts. He helps Hodiak trace the missing Emma Karn, going undercover himself to learn more about Manson.

The 13-episode Aquarius is being penned by Profit brainchild John McNamara.
Renly Baratheon as Charles Manson, huh? Intriguing...

Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/clai...-aquarius-nbc/
Quote:
Claire Holt To Co-Star In NBC Drama Series ‘Aquarius’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The Originals‘ Claire Holt is set as one of the leads opposite David Duchovny in NBC‘s upcoming series Aquarius, a gritty 1960s drama about a cop (Duchovny) who goes undercover to track Charles Manson and the Manson Family before their infamous murder spree. Holt, repped by CAA and Affirmative Entertainment, will play Officer Charmain Tully, a beautiful young female police officer who is dying to be taken seriously, but in the male-dominated world of the LAPD in 1967, that’s not easy. Holt’s credits also include the movie Messengers II: The Scarecrow and a recurring role on Pretty Little Liars.

I love her.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
THUNDERSTRIKE
LUCILLE IS THIRSTY...

not really sure about how this is gonna go, but I've got an open mind about it... I'll give it a chance...

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Drizzle
I'm just getting started

Not to disparage network TV, but this would probably work best on premium cable. It almost sounds like NBC wants a True Detective of their own.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

Is this going to be a summer thing or will it be paired with Hannibal?

John Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

so....ummmm....why is this called Aquarius?

is there some sort of connection between Aquarius and Charles Manson?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
THUNDERSTRIKE
LUCILLE IS THIRSTY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
so....ummmm....why is this called Aquarius?

is there some sort of connection between Aquarius and Charles Manson?

since that period in the 60's was known as the Age of Aquarius...

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
since that period in the 60's was known as the Age of Aquarius...
ah, thanks.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
THUNDERSTRIKE
LUCILLE IS THIRSTY...

no problem... history lessons available anytime...

Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
Tanin
Vladeck

This actually sounds watchable.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
no problem... history lessons available anytime...
hah. thanks.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
THUNDERSTRIKE
LUCILLE IS THIRSTY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
hah. thanks.
just call me Professor 'Strike, LOL...

Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
just call me Professor 'Strike, LOL...
ok Professor 'Strike!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #16
ravn0s
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love her.
i guess she won't be making many appearances on the originals this season.

ravn0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

http://deadline.com/2014/10/david-du...series-852812/
Quote:
The Dawning of ‘Aquarius’: How Charles Manson Returned To TV — Mipcom
by Anthony D'Alessandro

“The development season is a fool’s errand,” exclaims Marty Adelstein, who recently formed Tomorrow Studios, a shingle under ITV Studios U.S. to develop scripted series. A founding partner at Endeavor and on-the-lot TV producer at 20th Century Fox TV, the industry vet was referring to the edgy cop series Aquarius — and his hard-won liberation from the red tape that often clogs the development process at a TV network, notably the unnecessary script notes and the labor-intensive pilot processs. The show stars David Duchovny as an L.A. cop trailing Charles Manson in 1967, and it’s one of a growing number series to go straight from script to production thanks to foreign distributors that raise financing via regional sale licenses. In the case of Aquarius, ITV Studios Global Entertainment is the distributor. NBC took the U.S. license and will premiere the show early next year.

And in a day and age when there are more outlets for product and less money, circumventing the pilot process is an attractive alternative for TV creators. Series creator John McNamara gave the script to Adelstein, who had two notes. They developed the script for FX with Adelstein producing, but when ITV came aboard, the duo soon attached Duchovny and “there were many suitors” says McNamara.

“The key was try to separate the hype from reality,” McNamara says of the ensuingbidding war. “We both knew (NBC Entertainment chairman) Bob Greenblatt very well. He said ‘Thirteen episodes on the air, I’ll sign the deal today. Here is the license fee.’ It wasn’t huge, but he promised little creative interference. He told us there was a limited amount of items we couldn’t do because of the FCC. ‘Beyond that I’m not gonna tell you to get Charles Manson a dog or to make Duchovny’s cop nicer,’ he said.”

While the 1976 Tim Gries TV film Helter Skelter is often referred to as the Citizen Kane of Charles Manson projects, Hollywood, for the most part, has shied away from glamorizing the serial killer — until this year. In addition to Aquarius, there was a limited Manson series in development at Fox with writer Bret Easton Ellis and Rob Zombie directing as well as Roxwell Films’ plans to adapt the tome The Family about the murder mastermind’s life leading to the 1969 LaBianca-Tate killings, with American Psycho screenwriter Guinevere Turner attached.

“Everything is cyclical,” Adelstein says of the town’s latest appetite for Manson. “When I did Prison Break, it wasn’t that it was unique — it was unique in itself — but it was the right time for a prison show.”

Says McNamara about conceiving the project, “I thought of this idea of an older cop during the 1960s and how a 45-year old would see hippies. Then, what if he was paired with a Narc who is 22? That (concept) was three years of thinking for me. Then one day, it came to me while I was in my garage: I need the guy who ruined the ‘60s to bring them together: Charles Manson.” McNamara originally pitched the project as a quintet of novels to Adelstein, who convinced the writer otherwise. “I told John that he’s going to miss the music – it’s such a big part of the era,” says Adelstein.

In Aquarius, Duchovny plays Los Angeles police sergeant Sam Hodiak, who partners with an undercover cop, Brian Shafe (Grey Damon). From the enticing, unreleased trailer that ITV cut for MIPCOM, Hodiak is another peg in the evolution of Duchovny as the sublime, wry leading man (Californication creator Tom Kapinos once pointed out the actor’s appeal by saying that “girls want him, but guys don’t begrudge him.”) Hodiak possess the deadpan of Californication’s Hank Moody and the no-**** guy attitude of Fox Mulder from The X-Files. In the trailer, he receives a phone call from a mother whose daughter is missing, lost in a sea of hippies. We see Hodiak submerging into a drug-infused orgy in the Hollywood Hills, a familiar stomping ground for Moody, but this time Duchovny’s new alter ego wants to get physical. Says Shafe to Hodiak, “I don’t want to be the bait so you can be bashing skulls.” We soon learn that the missing girl took off with this guy, a hairy charismatic beaut who strums a guitar.

McNamara and Adelstein say landing Duchovny was not as hard as they’d been led to believe. “It was the easiest experience in terms of getting an actor involved,” says Adelstein.

“One meeting,” adds McNamara, who has tracked the actor’s career since the kid pic Beethoven and was further blown away by Duchovny’s portrayal of a TV showrunner-in-crisis in 2006’s The TV Set, which McNamara says “David nailed, playing (the part) of God.”

“I originally wrote the part with a (1967) Lee Marvin in mind and David knows that,” adds McNamara. The duo signed Duchovny in October 2013 and the NBC deal for Aquarius closed in February.

Aquarius starts off by focusing on the early crimes of Manson – attempted murder, rape, arrested robbery; two years from the LaBianca-Tate murders. McNamara’s plan is to have each season focus on six months of Manson’s life. “I know that the last season in the last episode will end with Manson in 1983,” hints the exec producer. Speculating from Manson’s timeline, 1983 was the year when his musical mentor, Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, drowned in Marina del Rey. Wilson had been a champion of Manson’s songwriting. The year also marks the time when Manson released his music album White Rasta from jail.

Throwing himself into researching the era, McNamara specifically chose not to visit Manson in jail, even though Adelstein was open to the idea.

“He’s not the guy he was in 1967. He’s a complete creature of his fame and it would be like trying to visit Charlie Chaplin at the end of his life and asking him what it would be like when he was poor,” says McNamara. The TV creator found a significant amount of material on Manson prior to his murder spree as his desires to be a rock star were thoroughly documented. Of all the interesting tidbits that stood out for McNamara about Manson: “His favorite book was Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends & Influence People. He read it 1,000 times.”

The Networks Are Now The Titanic

With his newfound freedom to execute script-to-series productions as the head of Tomorrow Studios, Adelstein is finally relishing a development process he conceived some time ago, before the industry was ready. After a decade as an on-the-lot network producer, Adelstein was fatigued. “Networks are limiting in what you can do,” he noted. “There are people over you telling you what you’re allowed to do and buy.”

A former client of Adelstein’s from Endeavor turned him on to ITV Studios Global Entertainment during a London trip.

“I sat down, met everyone at ITV and they very much wanted to be in the scripted business. They were very hungry for it and literally funded me, and told me ‘Whatever you want to do as long as it makes financial sense for us to distribute it.’ They’re so nimble and the studio networks are like the Titanic in a sphere where there are more outlets for series.”

He added, “ITV hasn’t operated out of fear, which I love. Everyone else operates out of fear. For ITV to pick up a deficit on show like Aquarius showed me a level commitment that I’ve never seen before.”

ITV Studios’ U.S. outpost had signed pacts with unscripted producers in the past, and the mothership studio has acquired a number of independent production companies in the reality space, but Tomorrow is ITV US Group’s first major scripted pact Adelstein has seven projects in various stages at ITV with a TV show production in Sweden and another in China which will feature a local and an American star.

“I would rather ignore development season and put projects together the right way rather than being at a studio developing 13 things, where one of them is getting made and three of them are not,” he said.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #18
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

Promo isn't long enough!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Yeah, I'm going to need a little more than that to decide.

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one musn't misuse it.
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

http://tvline.com/2015/03/06/hanniba...te-nbc-return/
Quote:
Additionally, David Duchovny’s 1960s Charles Manson Drama Aquarius will premiere with a two-hour episode on Thursday, May 28 from 9-11 pm, before settling into its regular 9-10 pm, pre-Hannibal perch the following week. (It’s Serial Killer Thursday on NBC! Also, David Duchovny/Gillian Anderson one-two punch!)

Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #21
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Works for me.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
Sawyer
Don't Call IT a Comeback

Old 04-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #23
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I'll be there.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #24
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Yeah no way am I missing this.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #25
THUNDERSTRIKE
LUCILLE IS THIRSTY...