The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Tony Clifton
Side-Kick

Default "Wet Hot American Summer" The Series?

Via Variety
Quote:
Cult classic “Wet Hot American Summer” could finally make its long-awaited resurrection courtesy of Netflix, according to sources.
The 2001 comedy, which boasted a who’s who of up-and-coming comedic stars playing campers at fictional Camp Firewood, may be turned into a 10-episode prequel for the streaming service.
Netflix declined to comment.

Exec produced by the movie’s creators, David Wain and Michael Showalter, the serialized “Wet Hot” would seek to reunite many of the original cast members who would play high-school-age characters despite the fact many of the actors are currently in their 40s.
While it might seem a tall order to reunite the original cast, the plan is to make it happen by having each of the actors shoot their scenes in just a few days because not every character will appear in every episode. The original cast included Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Banks, Ken Marino, Molly Shannon, Christopher Meloni, Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Michael Ian Black, Joe Lo Truglio and Showalter. Wain also directed the movie.

Universal Pictures, distributor of the 2001 film, is currently considering an option to come aboard the project, but no decision has been made yet and the series will be made regardless.
“Wet Hot” will follow in the mold Netflix first struck for “Arrested Development,” another comedy that existed prior to its run on the streaming service, which brought together the entire cast from the original Fox series for another run.
Ever since “Wet Hot” attracted a fanbase after a run that was more successful on homevideo than in theaters, the movie’s creators have long held out hope that they would create a sequel that never materialized. The creators have talked about doing a sequel in prequel form, but never in TV series form.

Rumors of a potential prequel or sequel to the movie sprouted up in 2011 when Wain revealed that he had been in talks to develop such a project. Wain requested that Universal re-release a DVD of “Wet Hot,” which would include special features for the movie’s then-10th anniversary, but the request was denied. In a Q&A he said, “I told them we would be willing to do a new prequel teaser short for it and new interviews and new material but they were like, ‘No, nobody buys it. Nobody cares.’”
A little more than a year later, Wain resurfaced with new information regarding a “Wet Hot” follow-up. He admitted to Laughspin that the project was slowly being made, and that he even “had more than a few pages” of a script.

A few months after that, in February 2012, Wain played the role of tiebreaker in an on-going debate between Showalter (co-writer and star) and Black (star) who went back and forth in the “will it or won’t it” game.
“What I’m saying is we’re writing the script and sort of making the initial preparations,” the writer-director confirmed to the Playlist. “No movie is a guarantee until it’s in theaters. But we’re at that stage of the process and we intend to make it. Can I guarantee that it’s going to happen? Of course not.”
I honestly would have preferred a proper sequel, but I would not complain at all with anything Wet Hot related to return.

Tony Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Default Re: "Wet Hot American Summer" The Series?

Follow-Up Series is Go, Original Cast Returning

THE CYCLE OF FANBOY ANGST
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Heffer Wolf
going for the bronze...

This is super awesome. I really hope its still supposed to be a prequel to the movie.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Can we assume that Netflix will put up the movie itself when (if not before) they premiere the series? Because I'd like to see it.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

If it's the prequel like Wain was planning, then doesn't matter, but they should because it would be the best thing to do. Best part about this series will be the entire cast returning.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #7
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I love that this is coming to Netflix and that Netflix is coming to Australia (For those who don't have VPN lol)

This and Daredevil will make for a great year.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

http://deadline.com/2015/01/wet-hot-...st-1201361747/

Pine/Wiig/Hamm/Schwartzman?!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Details about Wet Hot American Summer‘s Netflix continuation are about as hard to come by as the keys to the archery hut. But at a recent junket for Mad Men‘s final season, TVLine got John Slattery to spill a few details about the character he’ll play in First Day of Camp.

“Claude Dumet is a theater director,” he says. “I’m trying to think, what can I tell you? I’ll give it away. I’m a theater director who comes to direct a camp production.”

The eight-episode Web series, which is based on David Wain and Michael Showalter’s 2001 cult comedy film, gave Slattery an opportunity to act opposite members of the original cast.

“I didn’t realize how many of those people I knew!” he says. (Slattery was not a part of the movie.)

“From Chris Meloni to Paul [Rudd], Amy [Poehler], Bradley [Cooper], Zak Orth — I’ve known all those people over the years,” he adds, noting that the shoot “was spread out all over the place” based on everyone’s busy schedules.

“We were literally shooting two-person scenes that only one person was in, so you’d go back two weeks later and shoot the other half,” Slattery says.

Mad Men‘s final episodes begin April 5 (AMC, 9/8c); now that Slattery has been part of the streaming video service’s Arrested Development (he played drug-addicted anesthesiologist Dr. Norman) and Summer, is yet another nostalgia project in the works?

Slattery jokes that he hopes so. “I need a job!”

http://tvline.com/2015/03/23/wet-hot...-claude-dumet/

Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Photos:

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...es-1201503599/

Old 07-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #11
Primal Slayer
Back to Black

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote