The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Routh get another chance as Superman?
Give Routh the boot! Maybe he can be in the next Mission Impossible movie... 40 54.79%
Give Routh the RE-boot! Let him play Supes again!! 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Default Let's just put the question out there by method of polling

If Nolan oversees the project...

Should Routh have a chance to take on the role again?

Keep in mind, this will have nothing to do with continuation of the SR franchise.

Logically I would say no. With a reboot, I feel using the same actor could be too much baggage.

However I'm not seeing a lot of good suggestions for the role, and currently seeing Routh on his Chuck role has me thinking he is better NOW than when he was actually cast.

Definitely in a much better physique. No weird brown color/style to his hair. I see Superman.

Makes it a tougher call for me.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Let's just put the question out there by method of polling

I say a BIG HECK NO for me. Since this is going to be rebooting the franchise over. We need to have a clear and total break away from any of the past incarnations. So this next series can find its own footing. It should have its own cast, its own story, its own look and sound.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
I say a BIG HECK NO for me. Since this is going to be rebooting the franchise over. We need to have a clear and total break away from any of the past incarnations. So this next series can find its own footing. It should have its own cast, its own story, its own look and sound.
That is where my logic is.

However I see that a potentially great casting of Superman (Routh) has been wasted because SR was not the film it needed to be (still not a terrible film, just not all that we wanted) and that really is a shame.

He seems to be better for the part than before, and I haven't been wowed by any of the casting suggestions. Hmm... Now I am questioning if there is anyway that it could work. I dunno. Tough sale.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea totally with wb not pleased totally with SR, and since pretty much last year it been clear they want to get away from donner/singer take. It would be in the film's best interest to get totally away from it as possible so it can be viewed its own thing.

As for routh, for me personally didnt like him in SR, thought he was terrible. I get most folks did like the guy for their reasons. Like my reasons for not liking him. But he is probably not going to have the chance at superman again. Besides maybe doing some animation work for wb. Like when he did an episode of the batman.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I want him back and I think he could come back. It doesn't matter that he was in Superman Returns I don't think ALOT of normal movie goers will even notice. They reboot stuff so quickly these days I bet most normal cinema goers dont even know they aren't sequels. Routh was the main thing I liked about Superman Returns I hope he comes back.

If not and Rick Malambri gets the part that would be fine for me

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Look here's the deal, even if the General movie going audience notice it's the guy from SR, as long as thier given a fun ride with great acting & fun storytelling, they won't give 2 hoots. The GA go see a movie to be entertained. Entertain them & you'll reap the rewards. So I say, yeah Routh can be put back in, just give him a wicked Jim Lee Superman haircut, a new suit, bulk the **** out of him & let him be his own Superman under the direction of Nolan & you'll have another successfull franchise.

Steve

Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN O STEEL View Post
Look here's the deal, even if the General movie going audience notice it's the guy from SR, as long as thier given a fun ride with great acting & fun storytelling, they won't give 2 hoots. The GA go see a movie to be entertained. Entertain them & you'll reap the rewards. So I say, yeah Routh can be put back in, just give him a wicked Jim Lee Superman haircut, a new suit, bulk the **** out of him & let him be his own Superman under the direction of Nolan & you'll have another successfull franchise.

Steve
very well said Steve

Old 03-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
El Payaso
Banned User

Routh did great as a Dooner-verse's Superman. He was cast because he resembled Reeve and his Superman and his Clark followed Reeve's performance and Donner's vision. And he did absolutely great as such.

But being this a reboot with what I assume is going to be a completely different vision I don't see him given the part again.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I don't think he will either but I want him to.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

It's going to be hard for the casting crew to find someone better than Routh, but if they do Bravo!

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
GreenKToo
In the fire

No for me. I like him and all but a reboot means a reboot, not a ''routh-boot''.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

You have to assume that the general audience consists of relatively clueless people (bless their souls). . . so a reboot containing Routh is going to confuse the heck out of that audience. Most aren't closely following the production as we are. Most aren't going to understand that it isn't a sequel to SR.

Routh is gone. Unfortunately, because I think given the right director he would have been a decent Superman.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
I agree. No Routh.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Crook
Banned User

I'm assuming we all know Routh has little to no shot at ever donning this suit again, especially with a completely new team on-board with a reboot in mind.

With that said; no. Routh did decent, in the sense that he didn't completely f**k up. But you could say that for anyone in the SR crew. Despite any shortcomings with the material, you should be able to rise above that and hold your weight. Examples? Shia Labeouf and Chris Pine. These two arguably had some flat, outright terrible lines and moments in their respective scripts. But they had the gravitas and charisma to pull it off at no detriment to their performances. Say what you want about their movie or character, they undoubtedly made it work. More importantly, they had the audience on their side.

This is what Routh was missing. He technically checks off everything you would need, but he lacks that X-factor which separates naturally leading men, from actors who are playing a leading role. Physicality is of little consequence here. As many of you should recall, Routh was no stud or muscleman when he was first cast. So to show off his build as support for his stay, is moot. Anyone with a decent frame could replicate that same structure.

We need our Chris Pine. He proved almost brilliantly that you don't need a name or established works to step right into a beloved iconic role....and straight OWN it. I don't know a single person who didn't love him or at least give props for stepping into famous shoes with such ease. Routh was ok, but can anyone here really say he strayed from previous interpretations and made the character definitively his to claim? I feel like many are holding onto Brandon because he's "safe" and are afraid that whomever the new guy is, won't be able to live up to the role. Sorry, but that to me is fundamentally wrong. I can sympathize if Brandon gave a superb performance that would garner extreme backlash from the crowd, if he's replaced...but c'mon. His fanbase is ridiculously low for a franchise this large.

Last edited by Crook; 03-07-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
GreenKToo
In the fire

I dunno. Maybe its all the time people invested into following SR/Routh and they feel cheated that he isn't returning. I don't pretend to know Nolan's thoughts, but I would bet the bank they will use a new guy and are probably already looking for him.
That wouldn't surprise me at all seeing as how this thing is MUCH farther along than we all thought it was.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 03-07-2010 at 11:37 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Kurosawa
Banned User

Hate it for him because I feel he's the victim of bad circumstances, but they need someone new.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
JStorm
Arkham

As much as I liked Routh, I can not wrap my head around having him in a reboot.

With that said, is this movie going to be officially a 'reboot?' I'm sure the Nolan's and Goyer can wrap their heads around it, much better than me. Hurm. . dunno how to spearhead this.

My point, like many others I'm sure, if Routh is in it and no other actors are, how will the general public respond? Where's Bosworth/Lois? Where's Spacey/Lex? Where's the damn kid?

If they use the obvious "Superman Returns was an extension and ending of the Donner run," then we have to cut ties.

I'm rambling, but all of that to say. . this is a hard choice for me.

JStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
El Payaso
Banned User

I liked Routh as I love the Williams theme, but both need to go for a reboot.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

Quote:

^^^^^^This

Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Brandon Routh Is the perfect Superman and Clark. Haven't seen anyone better. Bring him back please!

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Give it to Routh. He was the only good thing about Superman Returns.

Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
JStorm
Arkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
Brandon Routh Is the perfect Superman and Clark. Haven't seen anyone better. Bring him back please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
Give it to Routh. He was the only good thing about Superman Returns.

I know. . I know. But by allowing him back, and potentially letting go all else (cast and story), Joe Public will not have a clue as to what is going on.

Sure - I'm selling the average movie-goer short; but my point stands. WB, Nolan(s) and Goyer will have to write, literal, magic to make that work. Without a plausible reason - within the story and for Joe Public - the new movie will have to cut ties.

I CAN NOT come up with a decent idea where Routh is still Superman, while leaving EVERYTHING about SR out.

Well. . save for a 'Crisis' type story; but then the public would really be lost.

JStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #24
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I'm all for keeping Routh, he was a good Superman in a bad movie. Not hampered by a bad script, slavish director he could be a great Superman. Imagine him playing it his way, not CR's way filtered through Singer, I think he would be cool.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Personally, I dont think they are going to find anybody better than Routh, I think he is perfect for the role and would love to see him don the tights again.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote