The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Routh get another chance as Superman?
Give Routh the boot! Maybe he can be in the next Mission Impossible movie... 40 54.79%
Give Routh the RE-boot! Let him play Supes again!! 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Let's just put the question out there by method of polling

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
If Nolan oversees the project...

Should Routh have a chance to take on the role again?

Keep in mind, this will have nothing to do with continuation of the SR franchise.

Logically I would say no. With a reboot, I feel using the same actor could be too much baggage.

However I'm not seeing a lot of good suggestions for the role, and currently seeing Routh on his Chuck role has me thinking he is better NOW than when he was actually cast.

Definitely in a much better physique. No weird brown color/style to his hair. I see Superman.

Makes it a tougher call for me.

Although I am not in favor of his return, not on his acting or anything, rather the drooling "durhur" of the masses. WB is not going to let this be mixed up with SR, and since Routh was the face of it they will not use him again.

The sad thing is that these days he has a great build for the role. Heck, he had a great build for the role then too. The problem was a wet suit that was 2 size too small, constricting him, and making him look pencil thin.

Here is a manip, based on that picture, and the other face someone else used, so show what he SHOULD HAVE looked like in the costume, had it been the right costume, with the right haircut.

It would be a more simple costume, and the material would be regular spandex, with airbrushing to enhance muscular details. Sure it's cheating, but it looks good, and would not make his muscle dissapear. Heck they could use underarmor material too with airbrushing on the abbs and under his pecs.

Here is what he should have, and could have looked like given his build.

Last edited by SuperMike335!!; 03-07-2010 at 05:21 PM.
SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/shaw21thumb572xauto8623.jpg

Man he looks great for the role. The circumstances suck

Last edited by \S/JcDc\S/; 03-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.
\S/JcDc\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #28
bgshw44
Side-Kick

i want him back! everyone i talk to agrees that as well

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #29
GreenKToo
In the fire

I just can't see them risking re-using routh in a reboot. If the whole purpose of a reboot is to distance it from the original, then reusing the lead actor in the lead again wouldn't accomplish that.

Better to use a new guy and let him win over open minded routh fans than to reuse routh and risk keeping people away thinking its just more of SR.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #30
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I just can't see them risking re-using routh in a reboot. If the whole purpose of a reboot is to distance it from the original, then reusing the lead actor in the lead again wouldn't accomplish that.

Better to use a new guy and let him win over open minded routh fans than to reuse routh and risk keeping people away thinking its just more of SR.

Thats how I see it too.

I used to hate Routh, but then after a while, after seeing how hard he worked on getting into shape, and how much more he looks the role, I realized it was just missdirected anger.

The real group I am angry at are those who made a bad movie, and put him in a bad costume that made him look puny, a bad haircut, and bad makeup.

The problem in using him for a re-boot is the risk. As they say, "the masses are asses". The GA sees the same guy on the trailer, and goes, ohhh, a sequel to thaaat movie.

Really a shame, but we have to deal with the situation in front of us, and that means a new face.

Even if that may not be so, and the GA is smarter than given credit for, that is how studios think about it. That is how they think, and this time they are not taking any chances. With a new actor, they see no risk of confusion, with Routh they see that potential risk.

That being said, with the shape Routh is in now, its very unfortunate, I think he could actually get leading action roles coming his way in other movies. From his current pictures, it looks like once he started working out he took to it like fish does water.

I am familiar with that happening. Some guy is thin most of his life, then for some reason gets introduced to the weights, and falls in love with having big muscles. Good for him. Sucks that Singer and company made a movie that did not work for the studio.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #31
GreenKToo
In the fire

Crazy thought here but why not use him as Jor-el in the reboot.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #32
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Personally, I dont think they are going to find anybody better than Routh, I think he is perfect for the role and would love to see him don the tights again.
Really? REALLY?

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #33
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i still say the best thing for the new series is to have all new cast, all new story, all new setting. So it can break away and be its own thing. Its just far easier to do that with all new. Then trying to work around bringing back the former guy. But i think its more then likely going to be all new all different. WB wants to get away from donner/singer. So that is probably going to be the case all new. We just need the studio from day one on production/promoting to show to the fans and the general movie folks that this is an all new and all different superman. Like what paramount did with trek.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #34
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I think Superman is a tough character to cast, and it will be very difficult for WB to find someone who fits the role in scuh a small period, to get into his movie role, if they cannot find a suitable replacement (I mean someone who is as good as Routh / Welling ) then it would be a good idea to cast Routh again. this time make a different suit, give him short black hair, and let him workout to get in a better shape.

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 03-08-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

oh sure its a tough character to cast. But i am sure they can find someone new. its not impossible task. Plus we have no clue how casting could go this time around compared to the fail tries in the 90s or the 00s/SR casting. For all we know some new guy could come in during some early/mid run of casting and bam there you go.

Plus we dont even know if/when this film will be going into production and if/when casting is going to be happening. all we need is a few months and we can find someone. heck look at green lantern for example when director came in last feb it took them 5 months to land ryan as hal. it could take a few months, it could be shorter every deal is different.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #36
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I think WB want to get to the pre production stage by 2011 and shooting stage by 2012, to avoid legal issues with court and keeping in mind that they will lose rights to the character in 2013.

The movie itself should be out in theaters in summer 2013 (IMO).

I have little faith in WB casting department, these are the guys who thought Armie Hammer(6' 5") as Batman and DJ Ctrona (5'8") as Superman, and don't forget Nick Cage in Superman Lives project and Jack Black as Green Lantern .

Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #37
sf2
Side-Kick

he is still the best so far. but i'm willing to let go him for the reboot.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #38
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Crazy thought here but why not use him as Jor-el in the reboot.

That's an interesting idea. I could see it working especially if they go with a young jor-el. Otherwise i'd prefer jim caviezel.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #39
Ipodman
Love Tension

His eyebrowns and eyes kinda makes him look like Joe Jonas...

Ipodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #40
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Lets keep things as simple as possible. Once again we have an opportunity to start completely fresh but there are still people who can't let go of the past. This is partly the reason why we are in this mess now. No Routh, no Williams music, let's start completely new from the ground up. No mistakes this time by trying to cling onto something.

And for those who think there can be no one better than Routh, did you even know who Routh was before he was cast? Did you push for him to get the role then? Because, just like you didn't who he was back then, the same can happen with a completely brand new unknown that you just don't know about yet!

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #41
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Maybe but they might also choose someone terrible for the part. I don't know why people underestimate the general public. As pointed out they did a terrible reboot (IMO) of "Star Trek" and told the public that's what they were doing (a different version with the same characters; not that it was terrible). It didn't seem to drive people away. They also had someone from the other version show up to interest me and others that liked the original version. If they can capture the spirit of Superman then I can accept a different version of him. I have in the past including different actors. But I would prefer he be in it. Unless it's garbage IMO. And I'll remind you of Nicolas Cage in case you can't think of ridiculous casting in the past.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

I don't really care either way but people are kidding themselves if they think the general audience is going to care or even remember superman returns because when this movie comes out it will be six years removed from that film. Very few people spend time looking up movies and actors on the internet.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #43
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Star trek had a long history and faithful following, that's why a reboot was made in the first place. They also have a substantial movie history as well. SR doesn't have any, it was a carry over from the donner films, 4 movies in total, 5 including Returns. Routh only starred in one and he barely had any lines.

I give the GA enough credit that they're not going to care if he comes back or not as no one knew who he was the first time around anyway. As long as we get a superman that's all that matters. He was an unknown when he was cast and they will find another. The point is they need a good actor who can carry the film, i'd hardly say he carried SR. He was more of a supporting character if anything.

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #44
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I think WB want to get to the pre production stage by 2011 and shooting stage by 2012...
quoted and replied in casting thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=18139533#post18139533

Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #45
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
If Nolan oversees the project...

Should Routh have a chance to take on the role again?

Keep in mind, this will have nothing to do with continuation of the SR franchise.

Logically I would say no. With a reboot, I feel using the same actor could be too much baggage.

However I'm not seeing a lot of good suggestions for the role, and currently seeing Routh on his Chuck role has me thinking he is better NOW than when he was actually cast.

Definitely in a much better physique. No weird brown color/style to his hair. I see Superman.

Makes it a tougher call for me.

I'm not planning to vote. Theoretically, I'd rather they went with someone else, but I also think it would be best if he at-least auditioned. If the director (in this case, I assume it to be Nolan II) decides he wants him, he should be able to cast him. If not, he shouldn't have to. I do have to admit Routh looks better, but his acting wasn't exactly thrilling me.

Nightwing1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #46
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

My heart wants Brandon to come back but my head says that it's best to make a clean break with the past.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #47
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I want a better more charismatic actor in the role so, once again, I'll say no.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #48
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

No, he shouldn't. His time on Chuck is showing just how wooden he is. Everything he says feels like its being read of cue cards. Get an actor who can actually act to play Big Blue.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #49
bunk
superhero fan

Looks-wise, I think they'll have a tough time improving. I think there may be some sacrificing in that area to get a more seasoned actor.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #50
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

As much as I like Routh in the role, and think that he was wasted in an underwhelming movie, his chances of ever donning the tights again are virtually nil. A little story to put this in perspective........
Gerard Christopher, who played Superboy for two seasons in the late 80's/early90's later auditioned for the role of Superman for the show "Lois & Clark". He gave a good audition but was then turned down due to his having previously played the character.

BrlntDsgse is offline   Reply With Quote