Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #27
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I am stoked for this game. The original was amazing, but the sequel was a letdown. So I guess I'm half stoked and half cautious. But I hope for the best.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
Crook
Banned User

So this is an FPS, correct? We've had out fair share of futuristic settings in this genre, but this one actually looks to have some artistic credibility, as opposed to doing what's conventional and cool-looking.

That trailer was beyond awesome, and if the game feels anything close to the epic tone it set, this is a day-one purchase for me.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
So this is an FPS, correct? We've had out fair share of futuristic settings in this genre, but this one actually looks to have some artistic credibility, as opposed to doing what's conventional and cool-looking.

That trailer was beyond awesome, and if the game feels anything close to the epic tone it set, this is a day-one purchase for me.
It's a FPS/RPG like System Shock so forth. The original was the brainchild of the great Warren Spector. You could be stealthy and so forth as well. It truly was almost it's own genre.

If you have not played the original, I recommend through Steam or something to get it. Still a superb game. The originals graphics are dated but the gameplay and story makes up for it.

I still have the original box and everything for it. I remember it came out around the same time Diablo II came out, but I remember I was just addicted to Deus Ex. I eventually got to Diablo II

Ahh the great conspiracy theories in it as well, the greys, the MJ12. Man I may go back now and play it.

Last edited by Solidus; 06-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #30
Soapy
It's happening again...

Well, I'm playing through the original Deus Ex again right now, and it most certainly is not a "superb" game. It's aged horribly. Both in terms of visuals as well as gameplay.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Well, I'm playing through the original Deus Ex again right now, and it most certainly is not a "superb" game. It's aged horribly. Both in terms of visuals as well as gameplay.
Disagree on the gameplay part. Some parts maybe. But overall its gameplay is superb. Better than games like BioShock that are watered down versions of System Shock and Deus Ex.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #32
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Disagree on the gameplay part. Some parts maybe. But overall its gameplay is superb. Better than games like BioShock that are watered down versions of System Shock and Deus Ex.
Bioshock may be watered down, but at least it was fun.

Sneaking up behind a dude, waiting ten ****ing seconds for my crosshairs to close, and then shooting him directly in the back of the head at point blank range only to see him prance off and trigger an alarm isn't really what I would define as fun.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #33
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

BioShock was fun at parts, but others not. I enjoy more RPG elements in these types of games because that is what they originated with like games such as Ultima Underworld.

And as you level up, cross hairs don't take that long. But even still there are other ways to go about it, so I just ninja sword people in stealth mode lol. I'm sure there are things that can be updated for sure. But overall it laid a lot of groundwork. I guess people don't have patience anymore.

EDIT: Also this goes off of actual RPG stuff and not action games. Where it's about dice roll and probability of hitting things even at close range. It gives more of an incentive to level up, because you feel more powerful by the end.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #34
Soapy
It's happening again...

RPG is my favorite genre so I know all about dice rolls and such. I've played Deus Ex before and it's even one of my favorite games.

I know it's dumb to criticize an old game from a modern viewpoint, but I feel if you're going to make an Action RPG it's important for developers to embrace the "action" just as much as the "RPG". Bioware learned this in Mass Effect 2 and not only was it a better action game than ME1 for it, but I would argue that it was a much better RPG for it as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Hmmm to eaches own. I loved ME2 I do agree it is my GOTY so far. Yet I liked parts of ME1 better. To me just because there is an First person view and you have guns, it does not mean that you have to take out dice roll. But at the same time I do agree that it can get annoying.

With ME1 I never saw it as a problem. You do have a point, but I think if they are going to embrace the action, they need to change something else to make it more RPG"ish" I never felt as much in ME2 that I had actually "leveled up" that and I thought there were not enough decisions to make your character more unique in leveling up.

So I would say, that sometimes it can work, but to me it takes away the feeling of becoming more "powerful" as you level up. In ME1 I felt much more powerful by the end, and I could tell more of a difference. (not taking away from ME2) but I just thought ME1 was better to me.

I guess that is where our difference is. I agree with some of the points but at the same time I just feel it takes away from some of the RPG aspects. Diablo is an action RPG just at a different view, and it still is based on probability. So personally I never saw a problem with it.

See if you embrace the action, than it does become just an action game with RPG elements. And that is never what Spector was going for with SS/UU/or Deus Ex. I think that is where the line is drawn to a point to make them unique. I do agree that they need to update it, and maybe go with the more modern action to a point but find another way to give it that RPG feel of accomplishment and empowerment.

To me like BioShock 2 showed even further the more you water it down...its just another FPS. And I'm tired of FPS's they are just over saturating the market. That's why I have high hopes for Deus Ex 3 is that they move away from just being an action game with a few upgrades.

I hope they have hardcore RPG elements in Deus Ex 3 like great customization and gameplay choice (almost Class based choices of gameplay). I would not mind having action in it at all. But to me I think if they go too far in that direction like BioShock or so forth it strips what makes an RPG. We have enough Action games with RPG Elements. I want an RPG with action elements.

So I agree in some aspects, and think there is room to evolve the RPG's. But in some areas I think it goes too much towards just an action game.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #36
Soapy
It's happening again...

No, I agree with you. That feeling of progression is important. Not just to RPGs, but all games. I feel like using Mass Effect 1 isn't a great example of it though. Like, didn't it feel a bit silly in the early stages of the game when Shepard's aim was horrendous? I mean Commander Shepard is already a badass elite commando at the beginning of the game and yet he can't hit the broad side of the barn to save his life?

I feel like a big problem is that we, as gamers, tend to be obsessed with labeling things. Action RPG, RPG action game, action game with RPG elements, etc. It doesn't really matter in the end as long as it appeals to you. I feel like we'll be a lot better off once we accept that not everything has to fit under a nice, neat label. Take or leave a game based on it's own merits.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #37
Flash Facts
Side-Kick

"Eurogamer~ Deus Ex:Human Revolution Blowout"

Flash Facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

http://screwattack.com/videos/Behind...Revolution-pt1

http://screwattack.com/videos/Behind...Revolution-pt2

Dues Ex Conviction: Modern Guns Of The Patriots 2.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #39
Soapy
It's happening again...

It's looking really promising so far.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #40
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I own Deus Ex for the Xbox. I think I pickedit up for like $5 or something last year. It felt too dated to play through.

But, what the hell. I think I'll try and hunker through it. I'm a sucker for an RPG with a good story. I can forgive alot if I have fun with the leveling up, and the story.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
Flash Facts
Side-Kick

I just watched the leaked demo. It looks promising. I kinda wish there was more body awareness though.

Flash Facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #42
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

PC Gamer has a good preview of it in this month's issue.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #43
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

this TGS trailer is amazing

http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/627625...3Bplay_btn%3B3

eternalinferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #44
Crockett
With Teeth

A impressing trailer to say the least, it looks like a solid game and can't wait to see more of it.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #45
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

I really liked the music.
The villainous looking characters a bit too much like Metal Gear solid rejects for my liking.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #46
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez1984 View Post
I really liked the music.
Yeah, me too. Same music from the first trailer though. Speaking of, I was disappointed that the TGS trailer was just a recut version of the first one with like five seconds of new footage.

I am curious about what that big building/hole thing going down into the ocean is. Some kind of mining operation?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #47
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalinferno View Post
That is one good trailer.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #48
Paroxysm
Banned User

The new trailer is awesome. I love the character design.

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #49
Crockett
With Teeth

New gameplay trailer.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #50
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

don't really like first person games. i still want to try this though