The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Shock News! Mark Millar was just offered X-men 4!

From millarworld (http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=92421?)

Quote:
...but I turned it down.

Why? I love the X-Men movies. The exec at Fox also seemed like a really smart guy who knows exactly what worked and didn't work about the earlier trilogy. He has an abiding love for the comics and knew my work better than I did. I have no doubt he's going to put together an amazing movie here because the people he's talking about behind the camera are all friends and heroes of mine. He also offered me massive scope with the story and I have an idea I really like, something that takes the franchise in a really fresh direction.

But you know what?

I'm having so much fun creating my own characters and enjoying the control this gives you over the comic-books and the movies that handling an established franchise eems odd to me now. It's tempting, SO tempting for a guy who's been a fanboy as long as he can remember, but I need to stick to my guns. I want to create the NEXT generation of superheroes over the next few years and going back would, I think, be a mistake.

But it's still the friggin' X-Men, guys. Have I gone mad? Was it nuts to turn this down?

MM

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
the a1ant
Awesome

Default Re: Shock News! Mark Millar was just offered X-men 4!

Edit: For some reason I read it as a directing gig. Them going to him to write it makes a lot more sense.

I wonder if he meant X-Men: First Class? It seems weird that Fox would give a juggernaut like X4 to someone who hasn't directed any films yet...although he's obviously deep-rooted in the comic community, and heading towards film.

Interesting info...thanks

Last edited by the a1ant; 03-28-2010 at 11:28 PM.
the a1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Even if Millar did write the movie it would still require tons of rewrites that in the end it wouldn't even resemble Millar's original script.

People seem to be forgetting the mess that happened when Frank Miller was asked to write Robocop 2 but went through constant rewrites that the movie turned into a turd.

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Retroman
Side-Kick

Offered to direct? Where does it say that? It seems more likely that he was offered to write the screenplay.

Millar likes to run his mouth so you can't be certain he's telling the truth. Anyone who's followed the developments of the next Superman movie will know that. But he is a succesful comicbook writer and has been somewhat involved in the making of the films of the books he's worked on. So it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibilities that he was offered the chance to write an X-men movie.

Good find btw Silvermoth.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
BMM
Side-Kick

After the Superman hoopla, I think Miller is full of BS.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

hope not... if this is so, im not even going to watch first class, or if i do, i will bring rotten tomates to the cinema.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Electrix
Side-Kick

Seems as though they wanted him to write it.

When he says 'X-Men 4' does he mean First Class, or does he mean X-Men 4? If its First Class then it would seem they are starting again from scratch, which I highly doubt. If its X4 then it would appear Fox are making too many X-Men films at once. If First Class becomes a trilogy we won't really need an X4, not for a few years anyway.

Jumping from First Class to X4 would be a bit of a leap.

Last edited by Electrix; 03-28-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
After the Superman hoopla, I think Miller is full of BS.
No kidding. I also have always hated EVERYTHING Ultimate including Millar's stuff. We dodged a bullet here, people.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

First Class already has a writer and I have trouble seeing them picking Millar as a director.

If it's for X4, at least it might be an indication that X4 is happening.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Not Mark Millar, please.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
ImWithTeamConan
Avenger of Comedy

I'm surprised Millar would turn down such a high profile gig. I'm thinking he's fibbin a little and it was more like Fox gave him a call to see what he thought and Millar went "no no I can't do it!"

2012 Knockout Kings Fantasy Football Champion
ImWithTeamConan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
the a1ant
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
Offered to direct? Where does it say that? It seems more likely that he was offered to write the screenplay.
My mistake. That makes a lot more sense now :P

Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Seriously people. Why would anyone take Millar's word at this point? He's flat out made **** up in the past just for the press/attention. This is yet another example.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

There is still someone who believes what Millar says?

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Carlo Comicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

What has Millar made up in the past?

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

From Latino Review:

Quote:
En tres semanas una nueva película se estrena called KICK ASS. This film looks very, very good to the Taco. I will pay my precious dólares and go see it in the cinema. It is based on a comic book by Mark Millar. Millar is a very famous mentiroso in the comic book world. Even this morning he would have you believe that Fox offered him the chance to write X MEN 4 and he turned it down. This is of course ********. Bryan Singer is supervising the project and he doesn’t even know who Mark Millar is. When the writer is announced you will see it is someone very close to Singer. It was never Millar. Or email Drew Crevello, the executive at Fox who is in charge of X MEN 4. He never offered mierda to Millar.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...bloodshot-9579
The real news is that who ever gets the X4 writing gig, will be one of Singer's guys. Not surprising.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

Millar alter ego is ********Man

Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

This is interesting news actually. i think x-men 4 has come back into play...

see he was offered x-men 4, but in the eyes of the studio they have always considered x-men origins wolverine the x-men 4...so first class to them would be x-men 5, its a whole series run thing that studios do where any spin off is considered the 4th movie or 5th movie...etc.

i believe mark millar was offered the opertunity to create a x-men 4. you know more and more am i hearing that x-men 4 is still on the cards and i actually think there is a possibility.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

This is interesting news actually. i think x-men 4 has come back into play...

see he was offered x-men 4, but in the eyes of the studio they have always considered x-men origins wolverine the x-men 4...so first class to them would be x-men 5, its a whole series run thing that studios do where any spin off is considered the 4th movie or 5th movie...etc.

i believe mark millar was offered the opertunity to create a x-men 4. you know more and more am i hearing that x-men 4 is still on the cards and i actually think there is a possibility.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVelvetOnion View Post
This is interesting news actually.
This is a news?

Are you sure? I don't think.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Four words for you, Mr. Millar:

Stay

Away

From

MOVIES!!!!!

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

I think its pretty safe this guy is just tooting his own horn...AGAIN. He makes too much stuff up and thinks to highly of himself. He has done good work in the past but now he has reached the "overrated" point. He is just trying to attach his name to the xmen project just like he did w superman.

He wasnt offered anything. I also hate the sex aspect of his stories. Its kind of perverted sometimes.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mark Millar Not Offered 'X-Men 4,' Says Fox

Posted 16 hrs ago by Josh Wigler in Marvel, News

Mark Millar recently declared that he had turned down an offer from Fox to write the screenplay for "X-Men 4." But according to officials at Fox, that report isn't accurate — not entirely, at least.

Bleeding Cool reports that after speaking with sources at Fox, it appears that Millar was not offered the screenwriter position on "X-Men 4," because the project is not currently in development. Instead, the studio is focusing on "X-Men: First Class," which is being written by "Street Kings" scribe Jamie Moss.

However, those same sources confirmed that Millar and the studio did indeed participate in a conversation about the "X-Men" franchise's future.

"I've spoken by phone and e-mail to those who Mark Millar spoke to at Fox — and they claim that yes, they did speak to him," states the report. "And that while they conducted a conversation at a high level concerning the X-Men characters and the X-Universe that Fox is mapping out with future films, Mark was not offered a role."

"However, the Fox people told me that they really do want to work with Mark in the future," the report continues.

Previously, Millar said that turning down the "X-Men 4" screenwriting position was "the toughest decision of my career so far," although it appears that the job was never officially offered in the first place.

"I'm having so much fun creating my own characters and enjoying the control this gives you over the comic-books and the movies that handling an established franchise [seems] odd to me now," the "Kick-Ass" writer said of his future plans. "It's tempting, SO tempting for a guy who's been a fanboy as long as he can remember, but I need to stick to my guns. I want to create the NEXT generation of superheroes over the next few years and going back would, I think, be a mistake."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/30...r-x-men-4-fox/

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #24
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, clearly he did talk to Fox and they do want him.... even if the X4 offer seems like it's wrong. I did like UXM too.

He gets a lot of hate though, some people online act like he murdered their children or something.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #25
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Millar is full of ****, I will never believe a word he says after the Superman fiasco.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote