VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That was the best scene in that movie.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #102
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick

Default Re: A fan's rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
Where does it say a reboot requires a whole new origin? Of the 3 Marvel reboots that have come out thus far, (Hulk, Ghost Rider, Punisher) not ONE has redone the origin. They did a quick recap and moved on.
Hulk and Ghost Rider were never reboots. They were sequels, especially The Incredible Hulk... It even picks up right where Hulk left off.

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #103
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

TIH was a reboot but it felt like a sequel.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #104
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
TIH was a reboot but it felt like a sequel.
Totally.

I'm sure it was made to be like that. So people who saw Ang lee's Hulk didn't feel disoriented.

But TIH clearly stablishes a different origin in that flashy sequence at the beginning.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #105
Troy_Parker
Banned User

GR 2 wasn't a reboot either... was it? It just retconned some stuff.

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #106
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Let's pretend GR2 doesn't exist.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #107
Jack O Lantern
Mad Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Okay...

When he's talking to Mary Jane outside of the diner:
The awkward way he just stares crestfallen when MJ tells him she's going out with Harry, the way he can't barely muster up a reply when she reveals her embarrassment about big a waitress. It all belies a lack of confidence and immaturity. Honestly, his performance at times strikes me as if he's a child watching the world happen before him without totally understanding how to interpret or respond to it. It's always stuttering and nervous smiles. Uncomfortable glances and a lack for words.

The scene with Betty Brant also displays that same dopey nature: "I'm Peter Parker. I'm a photographer." You really can't get more awkward than that line and delivery.

During the Thanksgiving Dinner:
The entire scene characterizes Peter as unaware, stuttering adolescent. Not only does he project a dopey demeanor to his family with his excuses fto cover up being Spider-Man (which isn't too bad in and of itself), but he also displays a lack of confidence and downright intelligence by being unable to act nonchalant when attention is drawn to his injury, and by his inaction while Harry and Norman are being *******s to the love of his life.

When Mary Jane visits Aunt May in the hospital:
It doesn't start off too bad, asking MJ how she's feeling after the previous day is the right thing to do, but once MJ starts talking about how she feels about Spider-Man, and Peter starts going into his fake conversation with Spider-Man, again, he just seems like someone who has absolutely no clue what he's doing. It's obvious he's making the speech up as he goes long, which isn't too bad, but what really clinches it is that he can't just be upfront and honest about his feelings, rather he has to hide behind his other persona.

I will admit, a lot of it does simply come Maguire himself; his whole demeanor screams nervousness, awkwardness, and and insecurity. The way his voice If another actor had played the role, possibly they could have interjected more maturity and chrisma into the role.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen. More unfortunate, I'm quite sure Maguire played the character exactly the way Raimi intended it. Which while isn't bad for the movie (I do enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong), it just doesn't really match up with who Peter was in the comics at that time.

Even, if you aren't well versed in the originals, just go take a look at Spider-Man: Blue. The Peter Parker in that, to me at least, seems very much the polar opposite of the Peter Parker in the movies. He's juggling women and friends. Despite his constant bad luck, always seems to stay one step ahead due to his intellect and powers. That's the Peter Parker I'll always prefer.
Here's the Peter Parker from the time frame you're talking about.

Look at him taking life by the balls.

And in Spider-Man Blue

What a cool customer.

None of those scenes show a lack of confidence.

You use the scene outside the cafe as a scene of a lack of confidence. MJ tells him she's dating his best friend, reveals her embarrassment, by the end of the scene she's laughing and feeling good about herself.

In the hospital scene you want him to try and steal his best friends girl.

You seem to mistake awkwardness for lack of confidence. They're not the same thing. Peter is very confident in all three films. You're talking about a guy who went into a major New York Newspaper and was leaving with the photos because he wanted more money. That's not something someone does unless they're confident.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #108
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

And him just being painfully awkward is any better?

My point is Peter Parker's whole demeanor is that of a socially unsure teenager. Not the more sophisticated 20-something he was in the comics around that same time period.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #109
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
Hulk and Ghost Rider were never reboots. They were sequels, especially The Incredible Hulk... It even picks up right where Hulk left off.
Hulk 2003-Bruce becomes the Hulk as a result of his father's tainted DNA combined with his own experiments. Gen. Ross doesn't even MEET Bruce until after he becomes the Hulk and knows nothing of Bruce's work prior to this.
Incredible Hulk-Bruce becomes the Hulk as the result of a government-sanctioned experiment attempting to recreate the super soldier serum, which Ross knew about all along. Ross pursues the Hulk not to neutralize the threat-as in the previous film-but to find a way to duplicate the process.
Ghost Rider 2007-Johnny Blaze unwittingly nicks his finger and seals the deal with a crippled Mephisto in hopes that his dad's illness won't derail his plans with Roxanne. The change is only triggered at night, and his primary power is the Penance Stare, which sears the soul but leaves the flesh intact. Johnny has embraced the Rider at the end & gained a measure of control over him. No mention of Zarathos is made.
SOV-Johnny DELIBERATELY sheds his on the contract. The devil, Johnny's backstory & GR's powers are all QUITE different. ANd Johnny is desperate to free himself from Zarathos.
These are not sequels, my friend.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #110
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWay2009 View Post
Will you still give it a chance?
As in go to see it? Why would I do that? I gave it a chance by watching the trailers. I wasn't impressed. What I won't do is give it my money. That's like buying an album when every single you've heard from it sucks.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #111
Web face
Side-Kick

Those trailers were only like 2.5% of the actual movie though. I get what youre saying kinda, but the trailers barely showed anything compared to what singles out of an album show. Would you be willing to see it if it got good reviews?

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #112
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
As in go to see it? Why would I do that? I gave it a chance by watching the trailers. I wasn't impressed. What I won't do is give it my money. That's like buying an album when every single you've heard from it sucks.
At this time and age, everyone knows how misleading a trailer could be.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #113
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
And if it does come out to heaps of praise. Will you then change your mind? or have you unquestionably doomed it before release?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #114
roach
I am the night

Why is it a big deal if he doesn't want to see it

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #115
SpaceWay2009
Wall-Crawler

Quote:
I don't know. Trailers can be misleading sometime. Like the SM3 trailer. It looked really good, but the movie wasn't as good.

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223
SpaceWay2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #116
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
At this time and age, everyone knows how misleading a trailer could be.
#spiderman3

Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #117
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Quote:
Not gonna lie, pretty much everyone has loved the trailers. Well, the second one has gotten praise from everyone. Webb's take on Spider-Man has captured the spirit just as well- even more than, imo -as Raimi's did.

I'm willing to bet this has more to do with the fact that this isn't Raimi's Spider-Man than anything else.

If it is indeed that, then I think that that's pathetic and blind fanboyism, but whatever.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #118
roach
I am the night

God forbid he have an opinion and stick to it...just because 'everyone' likes the trailer means nothing.
I went to see Hunger Games with a friend and we made plans to see the Avengers marathon....he wasn't impressed with the trailer

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #119
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
God forbid he have an opinion and stick to it...just because 'everyone' likes the trailer means nothing.
I went to see Hunger Games with a friend and we made plans to see the Avengers marathon....he wasn't impressed with the trailer
Did you read the rest of what I said? I don't care if he genuinely doesn't like it, but if it's out of some blind loyalty to Raimi, that's ****ing stupid.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #120
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I have not seen a trailer I hated for a movie I ended up liking in I don't know how long.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #121
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

How could you not like the ASM trailers?

And I'm not being factious when I ask that...literally, what about it doesn't look good?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #122
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
How could you not like the ASM trailers?

And I'm not being factious when I ask that...literally, what about it doesn't look good?
Ohh, man... if he uses the suit as the focal point for his dislike...

Last edited by Troy_Parker; 03-29-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #123
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

The only gripe I could see with it is that a lot of it has already been done in SM1.

But that doesn't by itself make it bad.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #124
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
Not gonna lie, pretty much everyone has loved the trailers. Well, the second one has gotten praise from everyone. Webb's take on Spider-Man has captured the spirit just as well- even more than, imo -as Raimi's did.

I'm willing to bet this has more to do with the fact that this isn't Raimi's Spider-Man than anything else.
If it is indeed that, then I think that that's pathetic and blind fanboyism, but whatever.
Having a different opinion than the rest of you is pathetic and blind fanboyism? It can't be that I just haven't liked what I've seen? There has to be some deep-rooted refusal on my part to accept change? Maybe I'm just not pleased with it and that's all there is to it.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #125
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Well, maybe if you actually gave reasons why you don't like it other than whining about them ignoring Raimi's movies, people would take you as being more intellectually honest.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote