The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 2 make WORLDWIDE?
under 200 million WW (worldwide) 0 0%
200-300 m WW 0 0%
300-400 m WW 2 3.17%
400-500 m WW 5 7.94%
500-600 m WW 6 9.52%
600-700 m WW 13 20.63%
700-800 m WW 20 31.75%
800-900 m WW 10 15.87%
900 m to 1 billion WW 3 4.76%
over 1 billion WW 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #301
hatebox
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Who gives a **** about New Moon, you do realize this movie will more than likely surpass New Moon domestic and foreign right? There's not going to be a 70% second weekend dropoff like New Moon.

I don't get it, why come to a box office thread just to say 'who cares' about this or that...

Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #302
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

well it's not exactly a "box office" thread as it is an "Iron Man 2 Box Office" thread. There's a difference, and I don't give a **** about New Moon, so there

Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #303
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I spit on New Moon. This is the IRON MAN 2 box office thread.

- CM Punk
Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #304
Sentinel X
optical illusion

The hardcore Iron Man fans here have proven to be equals (in terms of annoyance) to the hardcore TDK fans. Seriously people are mentioning New Moon, The Dark Knight, etc because Iron Man was expected to perform very similarly for the weekend. This is a BOX OFFICE thread...comparisons will be made. And all the excuses people are pulling out of their asses "OH...well...it was finals WEEK so HA!" (Okay, Students were stressed about finals when Spider-man and Spider-man 3 and they had no problem taking OW record) or "Well TDK had Heath Ledger!!" (Really people? I mean really? Since when was Heath Ledger such a huge star while he was alive that he could bring in that much success because of his death. Also this explains why his true last film was a huge box office smash)

Bottom line is IM2 was overpredicted. Its not as big as some people think..but its still pretty damn big. 133 mil over a weekend is hardly anything to be ashamed of

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Old 05-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #305
hatebox
Side-Kick

I've read 3 reviews for Robin Hood now that are highly positive. Keep wondering if it'll be more competetive than I gave it credit for..

Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #306
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

I don't know if there's much to really say. Based on the opening weekend numbers, IM2 is poised to make over $300 million domestic, although probably not $400 million. Marvel's not going to complain about that. It's not likely to take the Summer, that's probably Toy Story 3, but it will certainly end up near the top.

It does kind of suggest though that we're seeing the cap of what an Iron Man movie can do. (And perhaps a non-Spider-Man Marvel movie.) The fact that Iron Man's foes are, by and large, unknown to the general public and not that interesting, probably doesn't help. Fighting more robots and guys in power armor is probably something they'll want to move away from. It probably als suggests that The Avengers build up is going to build off Iron Man, not bring in people that weren't already seeing Iron Man in the first place.

Last edited by Evil Twin; 05-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #307
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Once again cease and desist all debate and talking about TDK. This is the Iron Man box office thread. If you want to talk TDK box office go to the blasted TDK forums. Stop the freaking TDK talk.

This is about Iron man 2. Iron Man 2 was the movie released at the box office this weekend, not TDK.
I'll take that one step further: I'm deleting the TDK comments.

Take the TDK talk to the Batman forums, but turning this thread into a TDK discussion again will be considered trolling.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #308
hatebox
Side-Kick

The trouble is, TDK is, more often than not, brought up by people just to criticze it rather than use it to criticize Iron Man. I've yet to see any obvious Bat trolls come on here and start wars just for the sake of it. So it works both ways. But I welcome some moderation on this, if only for the Ledger talk.

Last edited by hatebox; 05-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #309
drax
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
I don't know if there's much to really say. Based on the opening weekend numbers, IM2 is poised to make over $300 million domestic, although probably not $400 million. Marvel's not going to complain about that. It's not likely to take the Summer, that's probably Toy Story 3, but it will certainly end up near the top.

It does kind of suggest though that we're seeing the cap of what an Iron Man movie can do. (And perhaps a non-Spider-Man Marvel movie.) The fact that Iron Man's foes are, by and large, unknown to the general public and not that interesting, probably doesn't help. Fighting more robots and guys in power armor is probably something they'll want to move away from. It probably als suggests that The Avengers build up is going to build off Iron Man, not bring in people that weren't already seeing Iron Man in the first place.
I think in some way it can be see like true (except "not that interesting", but it's more a question of point of view), but it's for that I think, with Iron man 3 and the Mandarin, it will be a big surprise to the general audience, for the moment I think Favreau have done a good job to keep the surprise with this character, I really wish to see him like in the comics, just with the rings and with a minor armor, I think this surprise will have really good consequence in the BO.

I would be cool to have not always armor vilain, like Living laser, blizzard, to have some difference, but I understand this choice for Iron Man 2, with another vilain without an armor, the general audience can be lost if the next foe is too much different, unlike for comicbook fans, the concept of an armor is very news for the audience, to don't follow that can hurt the box-office.

Except that, I'm happy that Iron Man 2 make a good box-office.

Last edited by drax; 05-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #310
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

God almighty... Is it ok to compare Iron Man 2 to Iron Man... or would that hurt peoples feelings?

Is it the posters fault that Iron Man 2 was publicly discussed as potentially besting The Dark Knight and it's record... as a result, its feasible to compare.

Please don't delete my posts for stating the obvious... when I was clearly not trolling. But whatever... crack that whip!

I didn't realise making $133 million (An amount which I praise) would make people so sensitive.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #311
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post

Take the TDK talk to the Batman forums, but turning this thread into a TDK discussion again will be considered trolling.
Wow. Seriously? ....so because Iron Man didn't beat TDK's OW you cannot discuss it at all even though the two were highly expected to make comparable box office returns? I think people need to stop being so sensitive...its just box office and none of you are getting a penny of it. Just have fun with it. Geez

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #312
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
God almighty... Is it ok to compare Iron Man 2 to Iron Man... or would that hurt peoples feelings?

Is it the posters fault that Iron Man 2 was publicly discussed as potentially besting The Dark Knight and it's record... as a result, its feasible to compare.

Please don't delete my posts for stating the obvious... when I was clearly not trolling. But whatever... crack that whip!

I didn't realise making $133 million (An amount which I praise) would make people so sensitive.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #313
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

It seemed for a while that IM2 could break TDKīs record. But it didnīt manage to generate quite the same buzz. Itīs still a highly impressive number, and counting on the overseas take, it pretty much secures a sequel already.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #314
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:

we should not talk about Ledger .

but we should be able to compare the drops with other movies.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #315
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:

It most definitely can make 400 million it all depends on week 2. It's not that far behind DMC which was well over 400 million. The only films in the top 5 opening that did not make over 400 million are New Moon and Spider-man 3. Both those films had over 50% drops in the 2nd week.

We'll see what happens next week, but if it can remain 65-75 million range, it can make it to 400 million. There's just not that much competition this summer.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #316
hatebox
Side-Kick

There isn't, but unlike DMC it's opening in early May. This summer may be about as lacklustre as any can get, but the constant battering of mid-level performing movies will have an effect. But if next week's drop can be under 55% (or even 50) that'll be encouraging.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #317
Abraham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post

Agreed, in my opinion it is all open to discussion - New Moon, TDK, IM. If we aren't gonna be allowed to talk about this films box office in relation to other films then what are we doing here.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #318
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

$133 million...good haul

Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #319
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Thank you!

Now we can get back to Iron Man

Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #320
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I'm just trying to figure whether they could have/should have done better or not. Tracking before this weekend was around 20M higher than it ended up getting. Tracking for the 1st film was about 30M lower than it ended up getting. How these things happen interests some of us.
There's been some talk over at BOM whether IM2's OW being substantially lower than what many expected would boost the argument for all big movies being released in 3-D, and I've got to say, it's a good point. $133m with 3-D prices added in, it would have the record. It's something Paramount obviously wanted for IM2, considering the widest release record and getting more screens than TDK (I've heard it was about equal to SM3 in that regard).

So all I can say to that is

Quote:
Also, you can't release a summer movie on April 30. For it to be officially summer it needs to open in May. It should've waited a week to open it globally so all the momentum is focused on that one release date. Opening it everywhere else first was what hurt it the most IMHO.
It's hard to say. The only reason I knew IM2 opened earlier in other places was because I go here. I REALLY don't think the average moviegoer knows this, nor would they care.

Quote:
It's curious too, since TF2's opening was huge. Does that mean TF1 had better WOM in the general public than IM1? Usually the boost in sequel box office openings mirror the kind of reception the previous film got. Hence SM3 being bigger than SM2, TDK being bigger than BB, POTC: DMC being bigger than COTBP. TF2 seemed to get a bigger boost than IM2, especially if you consider that it opened on a Wednesday. That's the part that makes me go and at the same time.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #321
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Sorry but I totally disagree with that, you do NOT have the studio make the decision to release in 3D. That decision should ONLY be made by the director. If a film is made for 3D then release it in 3D, you don't do 3D post production , and Clash of the Titans is proof positive of that.

I don't care if it would have broken the record or not, you don't release everything in 3D. 3D is just a fad right now, because of Avatar, which was a visually stunning movie, but story wise, IMO was rather dumb.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #322
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
There's been some talk over at BOM whether IM2's OW being substantially lower than what many expected would boost the argument for all big movies being released in 3-D, and I've got to say, it's a good point. $133m with 3-D prices added in, it would have the record. It's something Paramount obviously wanted for IM2, considering the widest release record and getting more screens than TDK (I've heard it was about equal to SM3 in that regard).

So all I can say to that is
more 3D conversations?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #323
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

There's another article out there, that said IM2 was the second largest bit-torrented movie, and there is speculation that may have hurt the record as well. But really who cares. The film had the 5th highest opening all time. It's a pretty damn good showing.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #324
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I am so happy with the box office, its a great take, and guarantee's a sequal and as a Iron Man fan that is all I care about. The film rocked and I have now been able to talk to some of my co-workers who saw it over the weekend and they were gushing over how much they loved it and they are not comicbook fans, it seems to have crossed dimagraphics, which is great.
Favreau has already said Mandarin will be the villain in IM3 so I am thrilled by that

Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #325
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

That's a great box office take I think for Iron Man. It was a freakin madhouse all weekend for this at work, especially in IMAX. We had to add a 4am on Saturday morning (thank god as that was the only way I was gonna see it). I hope it keeps doing well, as I think robin hood will bomb. By the way, everytime that I had to clean the theater, the audience went nuts for the after credits scene. I think Thor can do very well as well. I can't wait for this all to play out.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
Closed Thread