The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 2 make WORLDWIDE?
under 200 million WW (worldwide) 0 0%
200-300 m WW 0 0%
300-400 m WW 2 3.17%
400-500 m WW 5 7.94%
500-600 m WW 6 9.52%
600-700 m WW 13 20.63%
700-800 m WW 20 31.75%
800-900 m WW 10 15.87%
900 m to 1 billion WW 3 4.76%
over 1 billion WW 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #1301
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Avatar isn't even a fair comparison to any other movie. How many movies have a 1.8% drop in their second weekend? Even a juggernaught like TDK had an over 50% drop in it's first week.

Avatar is an event movie the likes of which come around once every 10 years or so.

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #1302
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
How about we wait a few more weeks before jumping the gun on TS3, eh? Do we need another reminder that Cameron's last two blockbusters that grossed over 2 billion, did poorly on their opening weekends? Legs are more important since they indicate word-of-mouth on the film itself. Openings just indicate hype levels pre-release.
Since when is 77 million in December a poor weekend? It did slightly less than I Am Legend and is the no 2 opening.

The only reason people are brining up TS3 is because people like you who have flamed some of us for suggesting economic/ticket prices, may have been factors in bringing down box office, now all of a sudden want to have a different standard for other films than they do for IM2.

I expect TS3 will be another smash and even if it fails to reach 300, Pixar will still be producing movies. That's the great thing about Pixar is they have the freedom to be creative with their properties without fear of failure. That's something Disney brings to the table. Movies like Ratatouille, while not a flop, were not big box office successes, but they were allowed to be creative with their properties.


Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #1303
Crook
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 16,301
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
I completely understand what you're saying and what inflation is, bottom line, more people bought tickets to see a 200 million movie in the 90s than a 200 million film right now.

That's my point.

But apparently that doesn't count, that's why I commented on the Bat films.
Of course it counts, I don't think there are many people here who are saying otherwise? If we're referring to the batfilms, B89 and BF were huge blockbusters of their time, in spite of those numbers NOW, not being too impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The only reason people are brining up TS3 is because people like you who have flamed some of us for suggesting economic/ticket prices, may have been factors in bringing down box office, now all of a sudden want to have a different standard for other films than they do for IM2.
Last I checked, IM2 didn't absolutely smash critics or audience reviews. I've already said TS3 has no excuse if it disappoints, so if you're going to try and pull the hypocrisy card on me, I'm sorry but you'll be greatly disappointed.

Is objectivity such a foreign concept to you guys? You try SO hard to find bias in people's posts that are otherwise reasonable.

Crook is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #1304
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Last I checked, IM2 didn't absolutely smash critics or audience reviews. I've already said TS3 has no excuse if it disappoints, so if you're going to try and pull the hypocrisy card on me, I'm sorry but you'll be greatly disappointed.

Is objectivity such a foreign concept to you guys? You try SO hard to find bias in people's posts that are otherwise reasonable.
Once again you make stuff up and then pass it off as fact.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_2/

73% regular reviews 87% user reviews

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026429/info

Critic Reviews: B- User Reviews A-

You're not objective, so quit pretending to be.

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1305
Crook
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 16,301
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

We've danced this dance already. You will note that I gave you similar numbers for Superman Returns and your prompt reply was "Ok, I can't explain that". I will be happy to indulge you again if you wish.

Crook is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #1306
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
We've danced this dance already. You will note that I gave you similar numbers for Superman Returns and your prompt reply was "Ok, I can't explain that". I will be happy to indulge you again if you wish.
Superman Returns didn't make 300 million did it? Superman Returns didn't make 600 million WW did it? Superman Returns RT community score is 73%, Superman Returns Yahoo user reviews was a B.

You're right weve been over all this before....

Edited to soften my tone, I don't want to get in a flame war.


Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-21-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #1307
Crook
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 16,301
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Superman Returns didn't make 300 million did it? Superman Returns didn't make 600 million WW did it?
You can't even keep up with your own statistics. You specifically cited reviews. That's what I gave you. Don't switch it up to box office unless that was your original intent.

Quote:
Superman Returns RT community score is 73%, Superman Returns Yahoo user reviews was a B.
Yes, it's so convenient to point out where they have gaps and ignore where they're similar, like average ratings and critic percentages. Just so you know, an A- and a B are practically right next to each other.

Quote:
You're right weve been over all this before, you just ducked out of the forum for several weeks, and then popped back in when you thought you'd be able to make a point, and failed miserably.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to make our appointments, your highness. I wanted to wait until your film made a billion, like your predictions.

Crook is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #1308
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Alright, I edited from above, because I'm not getting drawn into another flame war with you.

The point is that alot of people on here were specifically pointing at TS3 being the one to break TDK's record. Someone even guaranteed it, not you, but someone guaranteed it. If you checked on the BOM forums it was even more rediculous, but I didn't see a weekend prediction under 140 over there.

In any case IM2 is a success, anyway you want to slice it, and there clearly is something up this summer with people being fed up with high ticket prices. And TS3 did underperform because the prediction numbers based on the Friday numers were for a 120 million weekend. It ended up 10 million under because of a weak Saturday/Sunday, where normally you get a boost from these type of movies because of the kid attraction on the weekend.

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #1309
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back
 
ultimatefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Place that makes Gotham look like Kansas - Brazil
Posts: 38,117
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

"Statistics can be used to prove anything, forfty percent of people know that", Homer Simpson

__________________
AVVY BY KANE 52630

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #1310
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Well bringing back the subect to the topic at hand, IM2 had an excellent hold this weekend only dropping 36%, by contrast SM2 had a 41% drop over the same weekend. In addition thanks to Johnah Hex bombing, combined with Marmaduke, SATC2, Robin Hood and Splice soon to be exiting theaters, IM2 should have a good screen hold even with the new films due out in the next coming weeks.

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #1311
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist
 
JeetKuneDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Oh, come on. It is absolutely ridiculous to take part in a box office discussion and not take into account the factors that play into the money game. What is the point of that if all you're going to do is look at the bottom-dollar? It looks foolish.
I'm looking at it as a movie watcher...not a studio exec. A butt in a seat is a butt in a seat to me. IM2 made more than IM1.

This "expectation" stuff is similar to the craziness in sports. A sports team that wasn't "expected" to make the playoffs is celebrated if they do. A team that is "expected" to make the playoffs can have the exact same result and be lambasted for it. It all exists in the mind of the fans...nothing actually changed in real life.


Quote:
How about common sense? The first IM was universally loved. A sequel to that type of film is set up to be propelled at higher heights in almost every sense of the word.
Based on what? It seems that everyone who loved IM1 saw IM2. How exactly is IM2 supposed to create new fans that weren't there the first time? How do we know that this isn't the limit for the Iron Man character? (Remember...IM1 was way above those all-important "expectations") IM2 certainly didn't lose fans like BM2 and SM2 did. IM1 broke out way more than X1 did...to "expect" it to act like X2 would be silly.


Quote:
I'm still not. I'm giving you a rule that exists in spite of the successes and failures of movies, not as a result of it. The entire foundation of a franchise relies on a loyal audience. Subsequent sequels should keep the momentum going for the series, if not in hard numbers, then in vocal interest, to benefit the following sequel.
How is exceeding the original's gross not "keeping the momentum going"?


Quote:
I believe I've already addressed this point. Mammoth blockbusters are the only exception to the rule, because their success encompasses a demographic that extends past the target audience. Non-fans rushed to the film despite having no past (or future) interest in the series as a whole, because it was a must-see event movie. You can add Avatar to this list, I've no doubt the sequel will make less because there will be tons of people who went to see the first out of pure curiosity that won't be enticed this time around.
That's why IM1 is an unknown entity in the super hero genre. It didn't creep out of the gate like X1 and it didn't do massive numbers like SM1. IM1 may have well been the limit for a second tier comic character. IM2 did not fall from that limit.


Quote:
Excuse me if I'm not convinced. Unless you're about to make some brilliant points that connect me to any of the fanatic traits you just described, I don't see how you expect me to believe that is how you came to your snide remark. You are on home-turf, so don't worry, I'm sure some IM fans won't persecute you for upholding the stupid belief that any remark that disparages a Marvel property in any way, must be "one of those (insert DC character) fanboys". It's a typical line of thought: they're the enemy, they're all crazy, we're the level-headed ones with no faults, bias, or agenda at all!
Like you, I see patterns over time. As you say next....


Quote:
1) I wasn't directing that at you, it was more of a general point against many of the posts I've seen here
See?
Quote:
2) IM2 was a sequel to a certified blockbuster and beloved hit, but by no means did it have the hard task of following up event movies.
Again...we have no way of knowing what the ceiling is for the Iron Man character. Remember the reaction to the gross of the first? (see below)

Quote:
What did you want me to say, IM2 is a massive success? Because I refuse to do that with a property that isn't as well supported compared to its predecessor. Were you guys even here during IM1? Champagne bottles were being popped and techno music was blasting for days. That's what the aura felt like, it was a celebration for Marvel. This time around? A small room with no AC, full of frustrated geeks arguing with each other.
What does "champagne bottles popping" mean? That IM1 was doing well beyond what anyone dreamed. Sounds like what Spider-Man 1 did. (Using your "expectations" thing....thought you could relate to that)

And how indicative of how the human mind works than to see a performance that has improved on the first celebration inducing performance being greeted by some as a "disappointment". It's crazy-town.

BTW, IM2 is now about 20 million above what IM1 grossed. (champagne time! )

__________________
Uplift the entire genre instead of attempting to transcend it~T"Challa

Last edited by JeetKuneDo; 06-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
JeetKuneDo is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #1312
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist
 
JeetKuneDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
I was surprised that TOY STORY 3 is projected to have a smaller opening weekend that IRON MAN 2. Looks like Marvel is still the champ of this summer, thus far...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
You can't call it dissapointing now that TS3 came way in under expectations. Clearly something is happening out there, and it's a combination of things, but people are not happy with increased ticket prices, 3D being forced upon them as a means of revenue boosting.

You were at 115, but it's 6 million under that, and the fact is alot were predicting upwards of 150.

You guys can't have it both ways, you can't say that IM2 was dissapointing and then alot of you (not saying you specifically), but alot of you were pointing to TS3 as the film that would be the breakout of the Summer. Well it wasn't, although it still might gross more than IM2, but only because of the 3D boost. You take out the 3D boost and this wasn't as good as Finding Nemo.

Again, I'm not going to use this to bash TS3, because it sounds fantastic, although I've not seen it yet. But clearly something is keeping folks from going to the movies.
TS3 is fantasic, I'm going to see it again in a few minutes. IM2 actually has to drop down to my #2 of the summer so far.

But I noticed over the weekend that even the staunchest posters at BoM are starting to wonder what is going on this summer. (Even a moderator) The Pixar loonies (myself included) had to jump in and defend "our precious". Many were pointing out that without 3D, TS3 would only have made what Finding Nemo made. I still consider that really good...what's bad about that? But some were predicting ridiculous numbers. Those "expectations" again...ruining a fantastic OW.

Apparently there was a major price increase in tickets in N. America this spring. Coupled with 3D fatigue (I'm sick of it too), the lousy economy, and piracy....we may all have to take a breath and stop with the crazy "expectations".

The piracy thing is driving me crazy...just had a friend decline to go with me to TS3...because he has it on DVD already...sheesh... He's talking about cutting off his cable due to some file sharing website he goes to for movies and TV shows...I refuse to promote them so I won't name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Yes, and I'm just saying 300 million of today, was not 300 million of 10 years ago. A 200 million dollar film in the 90s would've been a mammoth success, as opposed to today where it'd be standard.
Just talking domestic I guess? In that case...IM2 is over 100 million above "standard"? (champagne popping again )

__________________
Uplift the entire genre instead of attempting to transcend it~T"Challa
JeetKuneDo is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1313
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ooga Chaka, Ooga Ooga
Posts: 5,584
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
TS3 is fantasic, I'm going to see it again in a few minutes. IM2 actually has to drop down to my #2 of the summer so far.

But I noticed over the weekend that even the staunchest posters at BoM are starting to wonder what is going on this summer. (Even a moderator) The Pixar loonies (myself included) had to jump in and defend "our precious". Many were pointing out that without 3D, TS3 would only have made what Finding Nemo made. I still consider that really good...what's bad about that? But some were predicting ridiculous numbers. Those "expectations" again...ruining a fantastic OW.

Apparently there was a major price increase in tickets in N. America this spring. Coupled with 3D fatigue (I'm sick of it too), the lousy economy, and piracy....we may all have to take a breath and stop with the crazy "expectations".

The piracy thing is driving me crazy...just had a friend decline to go with me to TS3...because he has it on DVD already...sheesh... He's talking about cutting off his cable due to some file sharing website he goes to for movies and TV shows...I refuse to promote them so I won't name it.

Just talking domestic I guess? In that case...IM2 is over 100 million above "standard"? (champagne popping again )
I'm taking my daughter to see TS3 tomorrow, she was going to bring a friend along, but the friend decided to cancel because she already saw it online a few times.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #1314
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,637
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Come on, it's about ticket sales as well. You mean to tell me there's nothing to the fact that when people bought tickets for Titanic, they were $6 and for Avatar in 3D they were $12?



lol, so now it comes down to TS3 if there's something up?

And Iron Man really isnt' divided, it's mainly fans of a certain pointy eared superhero that are coming on here calling IM2 a disappointment.
Sorry, but this statement is complete and utter ********, I am more of an Iron Man fan than I will ever be a Batman fan, but the fact of the matter is IM2 underperformed, you think Marvel are happy that at this point the first Iron Man movie is more profitable than the second?

Give me a break. Especially with the ******** Batman comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Yes, I brought up the fact that it took 7 films and one death for Batman to cross $300 million because people on here just want to go off money and not ticket sales.



My bad, I completely forgot about the Chipmunks and forgot that Holmes came out after Avatar.

Yes Avatar had plenty of competition, but still, January was barren compared to what's going to come this July.
Oh I dont know, The Book Of Eli, Daybreakers and Legion all turned a good profit, and Sherlock Holmes was still in cinemas until April and made over $500 million World-Wide.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #1315
Crook
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 16,301
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Alright, I edited from above, because I'm not getting drawn into another flame war with you.

The point is that alot of people on here were specifically pointing at TS3 being the one to break TDK's record. Someone even guaranteed it, not you, but someone guaranteed it. If you checked on the BOM forums it was even more rediculous, but I didn't see a weekend prediction under 140 over there.
Ok, so do me a favor and actually direct your anger to those that are proven to be wrong or hypocrites. Making me the scapegoat because I so happen to be on opposing sides of you doesn't make any sort of sense. It's the type of behavior that deems you the oh-so-endearing term of a "fanboy".

Had you done some actual research or avoided placing labels, you'd have seen I was right in these forums LAST YEAR, vehemently defending the casting of Scarlett and Black Widow's lack of Russian linkage. I was one of the few people here who supported RDJ from the very beginning. I was one of the many here who fully supported IM1s success and potential future. I was fully behind IM2 once the second trailer came out.

It's absolutely pathetic I have to point this out because it just shows how blind you've been acting in this thread. I gain absolutely nothing from creating some sort of agenda against this franchise, especially since I've been rooting for it up until I had actually seen IM2. Oh and I've also had many run-ins with the TDK and SR fans, if you'd like proof of that as well. I've got many pro-Marvel debates up my sleeve too if you require it, your majesty.

In closing: kindly stop with the passive aggressive b**tching. It was cute at first but now it's getting irritating being accused of being some Batman troll with a dying vengeance against IM. What kind of BS is that? You're a grown man. Act your damn age.

Quote:
In any case IM2 is a success, anyway you want to slice it, and there clearly is something up this summer with people being fed up with high ticket prices.
Wow, this sounds so oddly familiar. Could it be I've never actually argued against this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
I'm looking at it as a movie watcher...not a studio exec. A butt in a seat is a butt in a seat to me. IM2 made more than IM1.
You're looking at it as a movie watcher yet are concerned with the number of butts in the seats? You can't have it both ways. Either you're strictly viewing this on the merits of IM2 as a film, for which you are on the wrong thread...or you're here to discuss how the film did monetarily, in which case you have to at least somewhat view it as a studio exec.

Quote:
Based on what? It seems that everyone who loved IM1 saw IM2. How exactly is IM2 supposed to create new fans that weren't there the first time?
I'm not exactly sure what you're framing here. How else do sequels create anticipation past the first film's target audience? Word-of-mouth and marketing hype.

Quote:
How is exceeding the original's gross not "keeping the momentum going"?
We're literally going in circles here. I'm not typing up another paragraph for an answer I gave a few pages ago. I'll save myself the time and point you to the Bond, Batman, Potter, and Matrix franchises. If all it takes is to exceed your predecessor's gross, then we have one helluva anomaly going on in Hollywood.


Quote:
Like you, I see patterns over time. As you say next....

See?
The difference between our two comments was I really wasn't directing it to you. You clearly associated me with the crazy fanboy stereotype for absolutely no reason. This isn't going anywhere, so it's best we just end it here. I wanted to know if you actually had justification for jumping to conclusions and that obviously didn't pan out.

Quote:
Again...we have no way of knowing what the ceiling is for the Iron Man character.
We don't have a ceiling for any character. IM is no different. We've already both agreed that IM1 did fantastic, but by no means was it on the level of SM1 or TDK. When a movie reaches those numbers, it's reasonable to assume it's unlikely it'll remain at that top-tier. IM1 wasn't there (yet). The type of hype IM1 received after it was seen would lead credence that the ceiling could be pushed much higher.

Quote:
And how indicative of how the human mind works than to see a performance that has improved on the first celebration inducing performance being greeted by some as a "disappointment". It's crazy-town.

BTW, IM2 is now about 20 million above what IM1 grossed. (champagne time! )
X3 and SM3 were such grand achievements for those two properties.


Last edited by Crook; 06-21-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Crook is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #1316
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist
 
JeetKuneDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Sorry, but this statement is complete and utter ********, I am more of an Iron Man fan than I will ever be a Batman fan, but the fact of the matter is IM2 underperformed, you think Marvel are happy that at this point the first Iron Man movie is more profitable than the second?
This is the disconnect.

We are being told that because some bean counters aren't happy, that means we shouldn't be happy either. Never mind that we have completely different concerns....they aren't happy...so that means we can't be either.

Apparently this means that if a movie we like grosses 500 million domestic and the studio spent 400 million making it...that means we have to call it a "disappointment"....even though we don't actually work for the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
You're looking at it as a movie watcher yet are concerned with the number of butts in the seats? You can't have it both ways. Either you're strictly viewing this on the merits of IM2 as a film, for which you are on the wrong thread...or you're here to discuss how the film did monetarily, in which case you have to at least somewhat view it as a studio exec.
I guess we just differ in what we think the requirements are to be interested in the box office. That may be our problem here.

I like rooting for movies I love to do well at the box office. It means I'm not alone. Thus...I'm very happy that IM2 has exceeded the gross of IM1. It's like a big worldwide Iron Man party. Anyone that wants to say it sucks has no ammo other than the weak "expectations" thing. I get to notice when this absurd argument makes a success out of a 56 million OW and a disappointment out of a 110 million OW the last two weeks.

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're framing here. How else do sequels create anticipation past the first film's target audience? Word-of-mouth and marketing hype.
Some sequels grow...some don't. Sometimes a superior movie makes less, sometimes an inferior movie makes more. Sometimes a superior movie makes more, sometimes an inferior movie makes less. I see some drawing lines for how much a movie has to make to fit into certain imaginary rules for franchises.


Quote:
We don't have a ceiling for any character. IM is no different. We've already both agreed that IM1 did fantastic, but by no means was it on the level of SM1 or TDK. When a movie reaches those numbers, it's reasonable to assume it's unlikely it'll remain at that top-tier. IM1 wasn't there (yet). The type of hype IM1 received after it was seen would lead credence that the ceiling could be pushed much higher.
We know pretty much nothing about anything...I was playing along with your idea about SM1. However...as you can see, Spider-Man also broke the "rule". The highest grosser was....SM3. The word "assume" was a good one for you to use. That's the one that gets us into trouble....along with "expectations".

Quote:
X3 and SM3 were such grand achievements for those two properties.
I liked X3...but lord did SM3 inhale. They both raked it in....pretty much killing any attempt to associate box office with how good a movie is (which is what you are trying to do with IM2, correct?)

At the end...it is kinda fun to talk about...and I hope you don't take anything I say in a hostile manner. (Hard to put "relaxed" into a typed word)

__________________
Uplift the entire genre instead of attempting to transcend it~T"Challa
JeetKuneDo is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #1317
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist
 
JeetKuneDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
I'm taking my daughter to see TS3 tomorrow, she was going to bring a friend along, but the friend decided to cancel because she already saw it online a few times.
That's too bad...there is something special about sitting in a movie theater with a bunch of people to see the same movie.

Anyway...the 2nd viewing of TS3 was just as good. Still pushed the right buttons at certain points. My 13 year old nephew was with me and he felt the same....so it breaks well across different age groups I'm happy to say. He's twisting my arm to see it again..

__________________
Uplift the entire genre instead of attempting to transcend it~T"Challa
JeetKuneDo is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #1318
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 21,065
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

If this thread is descending into sniping at each other over who was right and who was wrong...maybe we don't need this thread anymore?

Everyone settle down.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #1319
Catman
Banned User
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 29,050
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
it took DC's golden boy Batman 7 movies and one death just to break the $300 million mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Batman 1989 adjusted for inflation is $467 mil.
Batman Forever adjusted for inflation is $317 mil.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/inflation.php
Box Office Mojo has Batman at $500.4 million. Don't forget that AMC, Regal, and Cinemark have been raising ticket prices lately. And, no, it's not JUST for 3D. 2D has increased as well. It's already $11 at many places. Also, Batman Returns has probably passed the $300 million mark by now. There was only a $22 million difference between Batman Returns and Batman Forever.

Catman is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #1320
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,289
Thumbs up Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
If this thread is descending into sniping at each other over who was right and who was wrong...maybe we don't need this thread anymore?

Everyone settle down.
I don't think any of the Iron Man 2 threads are needed anymore as both have turned into some pointless debating.

Rumpy Bulge Dubz is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #1321
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ooga Chaka, Ooga Ooga
Posts: 5,584
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Sorry, but this statement is complete and utter ********, I am more of an Iron Man fan than I will ever be a Batman fan, but the fact of the matter is IM2 underperformed, you think Marvel are happy that at this point the first Iron Man movie is more profitable than the second?

Give me a break. Especially with the ******** Batman comments.
lol, 300 million is under performing these days? Then there must be a s*** load studio execs on suicide watch.

Yeah they must be really pissed and panicking to have a 300 million dom 600 WW movie in this summer. Oh boy someone's going to get fired.

And no it's not a fact that IM2 underperformed, until I hear it from someone at Marvel that says they wished IM2 could've done better or even says "no comment", then I'll believe it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Oh I dont know, The Book Of Eli, Daybreakers and Legion all turned a good profit, and Sherlock Holmes was still in cinemas until April and made over $500 million World-Wide.
Book of Eli didn't even make 100 mill domestically and Daybreakers and Legion didn't get near 50 million.

Yeah tough competition.

Twilight alone will make more than those three combined.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #1322
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,289
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

@ Iron Stark

DROP IT !!! YOU'RE DONE, ALL OF YOU


my god, this thread has derailed into an abyss of pathetic posting


Last edited by Rumpy Bulge Dubz; 06-22-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Rumpy Bulge Dubz is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #1323
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,482
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

300 is a great number

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...d=ironman2.htm

better than begins, the xmen films...etc

my only critique is that IM2 crawled to this number in an empty summer.

I'm curious how many other films released(thus far) this summer will hit 300, 250 even.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #1324
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,637
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
This is the disconnect.

We are being told that because some bean counters aren't happy, that means we shouldn't be happy either. Never mind that we have completely different concerns....they aren't happy...so that means we can't be either.

Apparently this means that if a movie we like grosses 500 million domestic and the studio spent 400 million making it...that means we have to call it a "disappointment"....even though we don't actually work for the studio.
No one has said you shouldnt like the movie, no one has even suggested it, and the fact that I have had to repeatedly say this "I LIKED THE MOVIE!" repeatedly in this thread just shows how ignorant some people are being to the facts of this movies Box Office performance, which is what this thread is about, nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
lol, 300 million is under performing these days? Then there must be a s*** load studio execs on suicide watch.

Yeah they must be really pissed and panicking to have a 300 million dom 600 WW movie in this summer. Oh boy someone's going to get fired.

And no it's not a fact that IM2 underperformed, until I hear it from someone at Marvel that says they wished IM2 could've done better or even says "no comment", then I'll believe it.
Yes, because Marvel will come out and say one of their movies dissapointed wont they , they didnt even say this about TIH, as if they are going to be saying it about IM2.

It is a fact, at this point, that IM2 has underperformed, you think Marvel pumped $20-50 million more into the movie (this is just production costs, not even mentioning marketing)for it to be less profitable than the first? Come on mate!

I dont mean to be condescending, but you are simply ignoring facts about the BO in a BO thread, so of course I'm going to point things like this out.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Book of Eli didn't even make 100 mill domestically and Daybreakers and Legion didn't get near 50 million.

Yeah tough competition.

Twilight alone will make more than those three combined.
They all made a profit when going up against Avatar, Sherlock Holmes and the Chipmunk sequel, non of them were sequels or had any proven bankable stars with the exception of BOE, yet all made a profit, and quite a healthy one as well, no matter how you look at it thats competition.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline  
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #1325
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist
 
JeetKuneDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
300 is a great number

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...d=ironman2.htm

better than begins, the xmen films...etc

my only critique is that IM2 crawled to this number in an empty summer.

I'm curious how many other films released(thus far) this summer will hit 300, 250 even.
That's perception fooling you. IM2 got to 300 million 8 days faster than IM1. See how it works? The "expectation" stuff actually made you think it "crawled" to 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
No one has said you shouldnt like the movie, no one has even suggested it, and the fact that I have had to repeatedly say this "I LIKED THE MOVIE!" repeatedly in this thread just shows how ignorant some people are being to the facts of this movies Box Office performance, which is what this thread is about, nothing else.
Well...we are allowed to like it of course. But we are supposed to believe it was a disappointment at the box office even though it actually brought in more money than the original (which was a smashing success). We are apparently required to pretend we work for the studio and are motivated by a spreadsheet instead of enjoying the fact that this movie has a higher gross than the first.

It's worth posting the BoM article again I think:

Quote:
Iron Man 2 is the 18th-fastest movie to hit $300 million, coming in just behind Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The comic book sequel got the summer off to a rollicking start, opening to $128.1 million on the May 7-9 weekend, and has thus far made $300.3 million. It currently ranks as the second-biggest 2010 release behind Alice in Wonderland ($333.9 million) and as the highest-grossing summer movie ahead of Shrek Forever After ($213.9 million). Iron Man 2 currently places 34th on the all-time box office list, and it should easily cruise in to the Top 30 before the end of its run. The movie's total includes $18.3 million from IMAX venues.
The first Iron Man took eight more days than Iron Man 2 to reach $300 million, and Iron Man 2 has made around $10 million more through the same point in time. However, this gap has been steadily narrowing over the past few weeks as Iron Man 2 has experienced steeper declines, and if it matches Iron Man's daily drops from here on it will fall just short of the original's $318.6 million total. Still, Iron Man 2 has already passed Iron Man's foreign total as well as its worldwide (domestic plus foreign) sum, so one cannot objectively classify it as a box office disappointment in relation to its predecessor.
So it does seem unlikely that Marvel would somehow classify this movie as a disappointment...you're right about that.

__________________
Uplift the entire genre instead of attempting to transcend it~T"Challa
JeetKuneDo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.