The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 2 make WORLDWIDE?
under 200 million WW (worldwide) 0 0%
200-300 m WW 0 0%
300-400 m WW 2 3.17%
400-500 m WW 5 7.94%
500-600 m WW 6 9.52%
600-700 m WW 13 20.63%
700-800 m WW 20 31.75%
800-900 m WW 10 15.87%
900 m to 1 billion WW 3 4.76%
over 1 billion WW 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #1451
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

''Marvel doesn't seem to be too distraught about Iron Man 2 only making $614 million dollars''

wowowowowow ooooooooooo stop.

who said that they are not ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

you would have to be an idiot to think that Marvel would realese an article where they would writte how they are disappointed

Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #1452
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

People over at WB must be suicidal at the weekend Inception had, 62 mill dom and 15 mill foreign.

With Salt coming out this weekend, and the pretty stacked weekend on the 30th, it'll be lucky if it makes it's money back.

Looks like WB have a disappointment in their hands.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #1453
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

Salt will make like, 10 bucks, at best

Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #1454
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Even if Salt comes in 2nd and Inception drops 50%, it'll still be under or right around 100 mill.

Complete disappointment, especially from the same director that gave WB 158 mill this weekend two years ago.

It cost 160 to make and it'll struggle to get past that. ouch.

Iron Man will return
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #1455
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
People over at WB must be suicidal at the weekend Inception had, 62 mill dom and 15 mill foreign.

With Salt coming out this weekend, and the pretty stacked weekend on the 30th, it'll be lucky if it makes it's money back.

Surely you are trolling. It's an original film with no built in fan base, what were you expecting? I don't think WB could have asked for a better opening weekend. Non-sequels and original films not based off an existing book/movie/character rarely make all their money on opening weekend. They make their money based off word of mouth and repeat viewings. Avatar made a little over $10 million more on it's opening weekend and that was with the benefit of 3D and inflated ticket prices. Calling Inception a failure now is absurd.

Last edited by souvlaki; 07-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #1456
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlaki View Post
Surely you are trolling. It's an original film with no built in fan base, what were you expecting? I don't think WB could have asked for a better opening weekend.
Trolling? People were talking about Inception just a page back, thought I'd chime in.

Not once have I said anything negative about the movie.

Plus, Nolan already has a built in fan base.

Iron Man will return
Old 07-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #1457
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Trolling? People were talking about Inception just a page back, thought I'd chime in.

Not once have I said anything negative about the movie.

Plus, Nolan already has a built in fan base.
Name one director that has a large enough fan base to bring in more than $60 million dollars for an original film on opening weekend. I just don't get how you can possibly say that WB is shaking in their boots based off a $60 million opening weekend for a movie not based off an existing franchise.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #1458
hatebox
Side-Kick

$60m would have probably been at the middle to lower end of of WB's expectations, but the internet hype for Inception is still alive and well. It remains trending on Twitter for the 5th day in a row, and I know many people personally that'll happily see it again. It's legs will be solid, how solid remains to be seen.

Before I get chastised as being a 'Nolanite', I predicted the film would open in the mid-60s. No backtracking here.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #1459
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Surely you are trolling. It's an original film with no built in fan base, what were you expecting? I don't think WB could have asked for a better opening weekend. Non-sequels and original films not based off an existing book/movie/character rarely make all their money on opening weekend. They make their money based off word of mouth and repeat viewings. Avatar made a little over $10 million more on it's opening weekend and that was with the benefit of 3D and inflated ticket prices. Calling Inception a failure now is absurd.
Quote me where I said it's a failure. I haven't. And I haven't said anything negative about the movie. So I don't get where you're saying I'm trolling. I don't know why you're getting so worked up.

Quote:
Name one director that has a large enough fan base to bring in more than $60 million dollars for an original film on opening weekend. I just don't get how you can possibly say that WB is shaking in their boots based off a $60 million opening weekend not based off an existing franchise.
Come on, surely WB gave Nolan 160 million to make a movie that would bring in some money. They didn't give him all that money to make an indie or some cult movie.

Again I'm not calling this a failure or a bad movie, it deserves all it's praise, but surely WB must be dissapointed.

Iron Man will return
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #1460
hatebox
Side-Kick

WB will probably be happy because the film was partially made to ensure Nolan would definitely come back to do Batman 3.

Even if it only breaks even worldwide (and with the sustained buzz I suspect it will, at the very least), they'll be happy because their Golden Boy is happy.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #1461
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Name one director that has a large enough fan base to bring in more than $60 million dollars for an original film on opening weekend. I just don't get how you can possibly say that WB is shaking in their boots based off a $60 million opening weekend for a movie not based off an existing franchise.
truth

Inception's opening weekend has 0 to do with a built in fanbase, as he doesn't have one. He's got a couple of obsessed fans on here, that's about it

I don't know 1 single solitary person that rushes out to see the next Nolan film because Nolan directed it. That's just rubbish, all the money Inception made has EVERYTHING to do with it just looking like a damn good film

it's the trailers that pushed this one

Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #1462
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Inception's Sunday was higher than it's Friday sans midnights. That's pretty darn incredible. Word of mouth is phenominal and huge legs are already certain.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #1463
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
$60m would have probably been at the middle to lower end of of WB's expectations, but the internet hype for Inception is still alive and well. It remains trending on Twitter for the 5th day in a row, and I know many people personally that'll happily see it again. It's legs will be solid, how solid remains to be seen.

Before I get chastised as being a 'Nolanite', I predicted the film would open in the mid-60s. No backtracking here.
See, I don't see how $62 million is the lower end of WB's expectations. We are talking about a film not based off of an existing character or franchise that is being sold pretty much primarily on Christopher Nolan and Leonardo DiCaprio's name. Excluding Batman movies it is Nolan's biggest opening, and I'm pretty sure DiCaprio has yet to have a film with a larger opening weekend as well. Like I mentioned before, even Avatar didn't make that much on it's opening weekend. I'm pretty sure that when all is said and done when you look at actual tickets sold (because the truth of the matter is a lot of Avatar's opening weekend take came from 3-D viewings) the two movies will be just about even. I'm not implying in any way that we are looking at an Avatar-like blockbuster here. Not even close. But there are definitely some signs that this film is going to have good legs. For starters it's Sunday take is actually more than it's Friday take (excluding Midnight showings) which is pretty much unheard of.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #1464
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

I know I haven't seen it yet and plan to over the weekend

Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #1465
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Its a boxoffice thread, so I am discussing the boxoffice, which I am interested in, i'm sure Marvel are happy with what its made, but the fact of the matter is they expected more, and I personally think how the movie turned out effected the box office.

But anyway, discussing the box office is what this thread is for, so that is what I am doing. And also, you mention bias, do think I am a TDK fanboy or something with an agenda? Well you couldnt be more wrong, I have always been a Marvel fan.
I really don't see any real reasons why people on here should be concerned about how much more Marvel could have made. It's simply a ridiculous notion that people online are concerning themselves about how much extra money a major corporation can line it's pockets with. Nobody does it for any other business, so why with movies?

As for the movie quality itself, I also don't see how this impacted box office. Of course, if it was in 3D it would have made alot more, but the quality of the movie was fine. For some odd reason, Iron Man 2 has attracted alot of haters on here, on IMDB, and within movie critic circles. The criticisms of this movie, from the very first reviews, have been rather petty arguments going out of their way to condemn the film. You don't give a movie that low of a score because it had a somewhat short final clash and there are a few slow scenes in the middle. The acting was so good in this movie (almost all critics agreed with that) that it should have warranted high scores on that alone. Movie quality really means nothing anyway because poor movies that make money (Transformers 2, the Twilight series, etc.).

And in regards to bias and fanboys--I am not claiming you are. But it's quite obvious it exists on here. Why would people apparently take such glee in a movies box office take being lower than expected? Anybody denying this is just lying to themselves. This whole "rivalry" thing is laughable because all the geeks on this website are going to see the latest superhero movie, regardless if it's Marvel or D.C, and probally enjoy it. It's when they get behind a keyboard that their bias and tribe mentality comes out of the box.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #1466
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
''Marvel doesn't seem to be too distraught about Iron Man 2 only making $614 million dollars''

wowowowowow ooooooooooo stop.

who said that they are not ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

you would have to be an idiot to think that Marvel would realese an article where they would writte how they are disappointed
They are not distraught because they are confidently continuing on with this franchise and with the Avengers. Had they been seriously worried or concerned, this franchise would be shelved or delayed. Like Hulk or Superman. If they are truly upset with this movie making 614 million dollars and much more once it's out on DVD/Bluray----then it's greed. Why should I care about some other persons greed unless it personally affects me?

You seem like you want them to be unhappy or concerned? You sure used enough question marks!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #1467
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote me where I said it's a failure. I haven't. And I haven't said anything negative about the movie. So I don't get where you're saying I'm trolling. I don't know why you're getting so worked up.

Come on, surely WB gave Nolan 160 million to make a movie that would bring in some money. They didn't give him all that money to make an indie or some cult movie.

Again I'm not calling this a failure or a bad movie, it deserves all it's praise, but surely WB must be dissapointed.
And why exactly should WB be disappointed? What about this movie indicated it would make anything more than $60 million?Did anyone ever, for one second think a movie was going to get a $100 million opening weekend based on Nolan and DiCaprio's name alone? This film's success was always going to be dependent upon it's legs. As for WB giving Nolan $160 million to make an indie/cult film, they didn't and you are being naive to assume so. They gave him $160 million to assure his return on Batman 3.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #1468
Milkman95
BvS 3.25.16

Great weekend for Inception, $50 - $70m was always the expectation, it should eclipse it's budget domestically and make more than enough cash and Oscar nominations to keep everyone happy.....no way is this a disappointment to WB, it's a big win for an original film to get this much positive press and a $60m opening weekend.

Finally, a film that isn't mindless makes some waves....congrats to everyone involved.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #1469
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
They are not distraught because they are confidently continuing on with this franchise and with the Avengers. Had they been seriously worried or concerned, this franchise would be shelved or delayed. Like Hulk or Superman. If they are truly upset with this movie making 614 million dollars and much more once it's out on DVD/Bluray----then it's greed. Why should I care about some other persons greed unless it personally affects me?

You seem like you want them to be unhappy or concerned? You sure used enough question marks!
the real question is why should you care to writte in teh boxoffice thread?

or why do you care enough to quote me?

its BS and you know it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #1470
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yea, real disappointment

Quote:
What an impressive start for the Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures mind-bending scifi thriller from 3,792 theaters, with Friday's $21.6 million (including $3M midnight shows in 1,600 locations) and Saturday's $21.5 million. The studio pegged the weekend opening at $60.4M, solid for a 2D film, against a $150M budget. Audiences rated it an overall "B+" Cinemascore, with the under-25 crowd giving it an "A". Then again, this is Summer 2010's most anticipated film because of Chris Nolan's incredible track record for critically acclaimed big box office actioners (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) as well as smaller psychological dramas (Memento and Insomnia) films -- and Inception represents both genres. (By the way, have you seen Inception's comic book preview? This rather innovative marketing gimmick is here.) This gives star Leonardo DiCaprio his biggest debut ever, out-grossing the mid-February opening of his Shutter Island with Marty Scorsese. Also, the IMAX screenings of Inception accounted for 12% of the weekend gross with an amazing $7 million in 197 locations: the best ever for an IMAX 2D title.

But I've rarely seen Hollywood all over the map when it came to a movie's expected 3-day weekend grosses like this time. That's because this was an original film not easily explained in a 30-second spot. Rival studios gave me predictions ranging from a low of $40sM to a high of $60M -- and everything inbetween. Especially because, surprisingly, tracking didnít jump quite as much from last Monday to now. Comps include Shutter Island with a bump for summer, or Batman Begins plus inflation. But no one is certain what to add for "The Nolan Factor". (This was a movie Chris wanted to make for 10 years.) Yet everyone agrees that the pic will have considerable legs if audiences don't find it too dark or too hyped or -- god forbid! -- too smart. Though one reviewer complained, Nolan's visionary film has "no soul, no sex, and almost no joy".
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/soli...on/#more-54419

Not to mention the final number was actually $62.7 mil for the weekend.

Quote:
Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures' Inception generated an estimated $15.6M internationally with nearly 2.7M admissions from 1,753 screens in 7 markets. The studio plans a 3-week overseas roll-out for Chris Nolan's pic. This weekend, the UK delivered an outstanding £5.6M ($8.6M) from 451 situations nationwide, marking the biggest opening ever for a Leonardo DiCaprio film in that country. Inception dominated the weekend at #1 with a commanding 40% of the Top 5 market share. The pic also launched in these Asian markets -- Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, India, and Thailand -- and is estimated to top the charts throughout the region with an estimated $6.4M on 978 screens. Next weekend Inception opens in 29 additional countries, including: France, Russia, Australia, Korea, Japan, and Mexico. Then, from July 28th to August 1st, another 13 markets come on line, including Germany.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/ince...al-76-million/

Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #1471
hatebox
Side-Kick

Apparently Inception got over $10m on Monday, which is an extremely good hold for a film that debuted to less than $65m on the weekend. To put that into prespective, IM2 got $9.3m on its first Monday. Not that I want to create yet another war on here (seriously), but it's a good indicator of the word of mouth.

Last edited by hatebox; 07-20-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #1472
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Apparently Inception got over $10m on Monday, which is an extremely good hold for a film that debuted to less than $65m on the weekend. To put that into prespective, IM2 got $9.3m on its first Monday. Not that I want to create yet another war on here (seriously), but it's a good indicator of the word of mouth.
Inception still red hot on MON w/ an estimated $10.22M, $73M in 4 days. Could smash $100M in only 7 days.
http://twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/18996113945

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #1473
Milkman95
BvS 3.25.16

Yup, it's hilarious how the jealousy is clear over here when it comes to Nolan......here's another great article from Box Office Mojo:

Inception marked another commercial coup for writer-director Christopher Nolan following the record-breaking The Dark Knight, and it delivered the biggest opening of star Leonardo DiCaprio's career, exceeding Shutter Island. The picture occupied the coveted mid-July release slot of distributor Warner Bros.' past blockbusters The Dark Knight and the last two Harry Potter movies. While it didn't reach the heights of those movies, it also wasn't a franchise title with a built-in audience, though the "From the director of The Dark Knight" angle was naturally pushed extensively in its marketing.

Science fiction-themed movies are often in danger of being too esoteric, but Inception's advertising eluded this pitfall with a deliberate campaign that first piqued interest with mysterious but striking scenarios and imagery and, then as the release neared, clearly presented the movie as an epic heist thriller. The result was the second highest-grossing debut ever for a sci-fi movie that wasn't a sequel, remake or adaptation, behind Avatar's $77 million. Inception's initial attendance was also higher than similar titles like The Matrix and Minority Report.

Good stuff....

Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #1474
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Well, let's be fair here. When IM2 was released, kids/students still had to go back to school on Monday.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #1475
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman95 View Post
The result was the second highest-grossing debut ever for a sci-fi movie that wasn't a sequel, remake or adaptation, behind Avatar's $77 million. Inception's initial attendance was also higher than similar titles like The Matrix and Minority Report.
Even this statement is pretty deceiving when you think about it. Yes, Avatar made more money on it's opening weekend but it also had the benefit of inflated ticket prices from 3-D viewings. The difference between seeing a regular ticket price and a 3-D ticket price here is around $3, and the difference between a regular IMAX ticket and a 3-D IMAX ticket is $5. Has anyone actually done a comparison in actual tickets sold?

Closed Thread