The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 2 make WORLDWIDE?
under 200 million WW (worldwide) 0 0%
200-300 m WW 0 0%
300-400 m WW 2 3.17%
400-500 m WW 5 7.94%
500-600 m WW 6 9.52%
600-700 m WW 13 20.63%
700-800 m WW 20 31.75%
800-900 m WW 10 15.87%
900 m to 1 billion WW 3 4.76%
over 1 billion WW 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #1651
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Default Re: The Iron Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
I won't use terms like 'gold standard' because that can mean different things to different people, but the least I expected of IM2 was that it'd be a step-up from its predecessor, that everyone would be talking about it like it was obviously better than IM1, a la TDK, SM2 and X2 agains their respective predecessors. That isn't the case by a long shot for IM2. Again, were it not for the Avengers being released, I'm sure Marvel would have had some serious meetings wondering how they can make IM3 better. But they'll see how the Avengers does now.
Then again, Iron Man was vastly better than X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

I also happen to think (and I'm not alone) that IM1/IM2 are a greater film combination than BB/TDK. So, like you said, gold standard can mean different things to different people.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #1652
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
Then again, Iron Man was vastly better than X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

I also happen to think (and I'm not alone) that IM1/IM2 are a greater film combination than BB/TDK. So, like you said, gold standard can mean different things to different people.
The part in bold I agree with.

Last edited by rashad; 08-09-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #1653
hatebox
Side-Kick

I thought Iron Man was decent, but its sheer novelty factor carried it a long way. It's not like it left no room for improvement. And I think that's why I was disappointed with its follow-up. I didn't see a TDK, SM2 style jump in quality as too much to ask. But this isn't the thread to talk about it, I suppose.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1654
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Erm, no I didnt, I am talking about legs, many people finding IM2 dissapointing may have been the reason for the poor legs the movie had.
Most sequels are front-loaded. That really only proves that the fans of the first movie can't wait to go see it. If you say IM2's legs prove it wasn't good, that means you also have to say X2's legs proved it wasn't good. Their legs were almost the same. X2 was also way more front-loaded than X1. And X2 was better than X1, right?

See? Any rule you come up with related to box office to prove a movie wasn't good can be disproved by another movie that didn't follow that rule. There are no set rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
Personally, I think the DC of Watchmen is just as good as TDK, I think X2, Spiderman 2 and even to an extent Hellboy 2 are all not that far off in terms of quality either.
I put Watchmen on a level alone. I loved Spider-Man 2, X2, IM2, IM, BB, Superman 2, and Hellboy a lot too...but wow...Watchmen.
Quote:
And you never will see me doing it, all I have talked about in regards to IM2 have been the poor legs.
...And according to your "legs" theory...Watchmen was a horrible movie. (It was way more front-loaded than IM2 or X2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
I thought that scene was great
The acting was great on McKellen's part (poor on Paquin's part). But the writing/directing was horrid. They may as well have Magneto stand on his head and make balloon animals...it was that out of character for him. Magneto, petty and cruel? Since when?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #1655
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Why are we all talking Watchmen? The movie sucked anyway and has little to do with IM's box office.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1656
hatebox
Side-Kick

[In the spirit of this now being a general box office thread] Inception is doing surprisingly well overseas. With the drops its having, and China still to open, its international take should go well over $400m.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #1657
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Why are we all talking Watchmen? The movie sucked anyway and has little to do with IM's box office.
Because Watchmen was awesome! (I'm not making this up...I have a Watchmen poster about one foot from my head as I type this)

Just noticed another movie in theaters that must be amazing due to having incredible legs. Knight and Day. It opened to 20 million and is now at about 75 million. Clearly word of mouth must have been off the charts for it. That's the least front-loaded movie of any we've been talking about.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #1658
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Unless I'm reading the following link wrong, IM2 ended its theatrical run on the 19th, finishing at a little over $312 million domestic.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/...0&wk=35&p=.htm

Last edited by Evil Twin; 08-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #1659
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Unless I'm reading the following link wrong, IM2 ended its theatrical run on the 19th, finishing at a little over $312 million domestic.

You're not reading it wrong.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman2.htm

Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #1660
hatebox
Side-Kick

The real story for Inception has been its international performance. Some posters on boxofficemojo are making conservative prediction of $500m given its great performance in China.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #1661
Catman
Banned User

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Paramount dropped the ball. Iron Man was in theaters till October 2:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...id=ironman.htm

Did Iron Man 2 even play in the $1 theaters?

Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #1662
FaT_tONle
Banned User

I think Paramount mailed this in. Just wait until 2011. All their resources will go to TF3, and they'll do the bare minimum for Cap. The fact that they couldn't even accommodate Cap into the July 4th slot tells you that they could care less about it, and they'll be happy with whatever slice of the pie they can get.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #1663
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post

I think I remember seeing it in the local $1 theater here. If you look in mid-July, it got a mysteriously huge jump in the middle of the drops, which usually points to a move to $1 theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
I think Paramount mailed this in. Just wait until 2011. All their resources will go to TF3, and they'll do the bare minimum for Cap. The fact that they couldn't even accommodate Cap into the July 4th slot tells you that they could care less about it, and they'll be happy with whatever slice of the pie they can get.
That's sad.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #1664
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post

Yes, IM2 was in budget theaters. And performed about the same as IM1 there. Maybe they left a few hundred thousand on the table, but IM2 was about $5 million behind IM1 when it entered budget theaters and ended up about $5 million behind IM1 when it left budget theaters.

Simply put, IM2 was more frontloaded than IM1. Which is no surprise for a sequel. Paramount didn't drop the ball.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #1665
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Simply put, IM2 was more frontloaded than IM1. Which is no surprise for a sequel. Paramount didn't drop the ball.
IM1 was in theaters for two extra months. It has an unfair advantage to IM2.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #1666
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused

There was nothing unfair about it. Theaters keep playing movies as long as their demanded. The demand for the first iron man simply outlasted the second.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #1667
Catman
Banned User

So, people at the $1 theaters weren't too crazy for Iron Man 2.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #1668
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

IM2 was more front loaded in regular theaters. It was more front loaded in budget theaters. Yeah, Paramount could have stuck it out for awhile possibly, but we're talking maybe another $500K in gross. Frankly, for a blockbuster of that size, it's an insignificant amount and wouldn't have made a difference in the final analysis.

Heck, getting IM2 to DVD at this point means more to Marvel/Paramount than an extra $500K.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #1669
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

^Exactly. It wasn't some grand evil plan. Iron Man 2 just simply had a shorter run because it was more frontloaded and keeping it in theaters till October would not have given it an extra 5mil.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #1670
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Why would you want Paramount to release TFA:CA 3 days after Transformers 3 comes out? It would be too close and would be box office suicide. I think that TFA:CA would fair better financially if it was given a release date for the month of August next year,from the looks of it,that month from what I understand has no high profile movies that will come out during it's run.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 09-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #1671
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Something tells me that when Ironman 3 comes out that it's going to have the HP thingy going on,Ironman's cinematic fanbase won't get bigger,or bigger by much.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #1672
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Movies like TDK and TF2 for an opposite end of the spectrum comparison proved that the numbers do not necessarily have to plateau after the second movie. I thought we'd see similar results for IM2, but it didn't deliver anything new. Not gonna get into that argument again though. I realize that TF3 has more precedence over Cap for Paramount. But to just shove it into the back end of the season is setting it up to fail. Obviously the summer was packed as it is, but I am still angry about it. Cap should feel like an event. Now it's going to be another Marvel movie that will be overlooked by TF and Potter. TF3 should have never been in 2011 anyway. They must have paid Bay a **** load to fast track it. Pure greed move, and everyone is basically hoping it flops.

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 09-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #1673
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
Something tells me that when Ironman 3 comes out that it's going to have the HP thingy going on,Ironman's cinematic fanbase won't get bigger,or bigger by much.
Yeah, that's been mentioned before, and I'm inclined to agree.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #1674
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
Ironman comic fanbase is not that big too, and Civil War/Hulk War/Skrull Invasion ain't helping Tony Stark reputation either. The character is just not as respected as Thor, Captain America, Hulk in comicdom. Ironman is purely driven by RDJ acting and the novelty that a superpowered character can live seamlessly in today's world. By IM2 that novelty wore off or Marvel didn't take advantage of the Randian philosophical play in the movie. TDK has that easy to get chaos/order stuff going on, while IM2 is less clear on what the hero & villains represent. Although Ironman itself is among comic's best representation of self sustaining mortal, Marvel dropped the ball there.

Actually it's good to have a "good enough" IM2 as opposed to an excellent one. That way Marvel is not going to feel so invincible when preparing their next movies from Thor to IM3. They need a good cohesive script and a lot of preparation before production. Mandarin is a heavy character to put in cinema and easy to fail if they don't do it right. But if they do it right, the character can be as memorable as Khan of Star Trek 2. IM3 has to have that philosophy war (Mandarin - tyrannical chaos, Ironman - liberal order) going on and become more of a thinking comic movie than its predecessors.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1675
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Movies like TDK and TF2 for an opposite end of the spectrum comparison proved that the numbers do not necessarily have to plateau after the second movie. I thought we'd see similar results for IM2, but it didn't deliver anything new. Not gonna get into that argument again though. I realize that TF3 has more precedence over Cap for Paramount. But to just shove it into the back end of the season is setting it up to fail. Obviously the summer was packed as it is, but I am still angry about it. Cap should feel like an event. Now it's going to be another Marvel movie that will be overlooked by TF and Potter. TF3 should have never been in 2011 anyway. They must have paid Bay a **** load to fast track it. Pure greed move, and everyone is basically hoping it flops.
And here we go,AGAIN...how do you know that TFA:CA is going to be overlooked? Nvm,you shouldn't get worked up about it just yet. It's too early for that,you should at least wait until the trailers and marketing begin for TFA:CA,After,before the movie is out. And after the movie is released. All of it will be the final test.

Oh and by the way,Bay only did it for 2011 because he didn't want certain people at Paramount to get fired,he said so himself months ago.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 09-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread