The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #51
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: How would you make Superman more 'Real World'?

well i cant wait to see what type of world they are going to make for superman to interact in this time.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #52
thorstone
Side-Kick

1. Change the suit.

2. Explain him in scientific terms: he is not an alien, he is a posthuman from the future.

3. Show his impact on world history, IE; make it an alternative history. If Superman were real, he would change the world.

4. The world would demand that he reveal himself-- the governments of the world would want to capture him and harvest his body for science; and there would be a propaganda war against him in the media.

5. As war is waged against him, every gov't who does so will be overthrown; and he will assume power over those states.

6. If there is an alien presence like the New Gods observing, they may try to destroy the overman out of fear he will become lord over them; and in attacking, they will fullfill their own prophecy because Superman will destroy them.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #53
SuperFerret
Class Act

So, in other words, make him not Superman.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #54
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Hey, as long as he fights a giant ****ing spider, right?

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #55
SuperFerret
Class Act

Don't you just hate giant spiders?

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #56
GreenKToo
In the fire

polar bears are way worse.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #57
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I don't think you have to make the "world" real, just the characters. In Nolan's Batman films, the performances are understated, no one is showboating or winking at the camera(except for Ledger, but that was kind of the point, to show how not normal he is). In Superman Returns, you have a lot of silly dialogue. Jimmy, Perry, and Lex aren't played as people, they are played as exaggerations. These characters seem to know they are in a comic book movie.

It's really not about making a realistic world, it's really about the characters taking the world seriously. That doesn't mean the movie itself has to be serious, but the characters take each situation seriously. Most of the great comedies are hilarious because the characters in them don't think they are in a comedy, they think it's real.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #58
thorstone
Side-Kick

The real world would not react positively to a Superman and that reaction would shape his own evolving perspective of our barbaric world.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #59
Anubis
Sup?

Or they'll be afraid of him at first, but then he'll do something that will change most peoples minds. Notice the use of the word "most".

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #60
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

thorn i dont really think what you said would work over that great. Now yes some folks should be afraid of superman. and through the course of new film we see how the world becomes to trust and love superman.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #61
GreenKToo
In the fire

From what we have heard, this Superman sounds like he'll already be established, so that says to me that whatever fear people did have, should be long gone except for the few holdouts (Lex and maybe a few in the Gov.)

Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #62
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
So, in other words, make him not Superman.
Um, not really. Everything there is just a different take on the character, no less different than what nolan's doing on batman. and its a lot more creative than the fan fiction crap i read on the supes board on a daily basis. I'd actually watch Thorstone's take in a movie theater

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #63
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
The comic Supreme Power had some good stuff along these lines, how the public reacted to Mark, how the military treated him (and how they were terrified of him, and rightfully so), the relationship with the agents that were set up as his parents.

Not saying I want young Clark to vaporize a puppy with his heat vision or anything but JMS did some really good work on that book before it went to hell.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm explaining myself very well, I'd have to read the series again before I could go into any more detail into what I'm trying to get at.
Yeah they could pull some great stuff from Supreme Power:

although this time around i'd like to see the ship land instead of crash (if they show it that is)

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #64
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Unless Superman hypnotizes everyone he meets to see him differently, or wears make-up and prosthetics as Clark to completely disguise his appearance, then the whole "people don't see what they're not looking for" excuse is going to have to do.
In real life people tend to look like celebrities all of the time. I feel Clark should even joke about being Superman or even looking like him. Reverse psychology at its finest.

Okay embedding is not working for me but something like this would be great.

As for the actual city of Metropolis. New York would be fine...but stay away from iconic buildings like Empire State Building, or the Chrysler Building, or any others...because it will take some people right out of the movie...Kinda like filming about a fictional city in Paris and you get the Eiffel Tower in the shot.

Mistah K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #65
thorstone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Or they'll be afraid of him at first, but then he'll do something that will change most peoples minds. Notice the use of the word "most".
Imagine if Superman were real-- and the day he decided to put on the cape was September 11, 2001. Imagine if the ubermensch stopped the second plane and rescued everyone from the building that was hit. But what do they find when they open up the plane he stopped? What if Superman finds bombs planted throughout both towers? You're not going to get anything by the man of tomorrow.

What is the overman's reaction to this kind of warfare? Does he find himself a tool of the American gov't like Dr. Manhattan; does he find himself surrounded by idiot savages-- early man to him; does he feel like a god-man; is he programmed by his adopted parents' religion to believe he is a Messiah?

The reality of a Superman would ultimately be viewed by the governments of the world as a threat to their sovereignty-- there would be nothing stopping him from single handedly overthrowing the U.S. government as it stands and establishing a pure democracy for the 50 states of America.

In the beginning, the enemy was the scientist, then the enemy was the rich (land owner); but now the table is turned, and Lex is the politician.

Last edited by thorstone; 04-07-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #66
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Imagine if Superman were real-- and the day he decided to put on the cape was September 11, 2001. Imagine if the ubermensch stopped the second plane and rescued everyone from the building that was hit. But what do they find when they open up the plane he stopped? What if Superman finds bombs planted throughout both towers? You're not going to get anything by the man of tomorrow.
You mean the plot for Ex Machina?

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #67
Anubis
Sup?

That's what I was gonna say.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #68
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well there is alot of directions they can go with how they will display the world superman is in and how folks are with him around and being a hero. As for the whole established thing, we still dont have much details there. For me i am still hoping it means either that its a supes who has been out saving folks for lets say a few weeks/months in secret before he decided to go public. Or we are just coming in a few months into his public career but the film flashs between his arrival and how he went public. As i said in the no origin thread it would be a great mistake if we are not seeing the begining of things or how things came to be. Cause we lose out on characters, and plotlines and all that. Then also i dont really see the point in doing a whole rebooted film verse if we are not going to at least start on clark's arrival in the city and him becoming superman. Cause if its a established superman for a few yrs then why bother with a reboot in the first place. Cause folks will probably just think it is a sequel to SR. Compared to doing a reboot starting off with new everything. So then folks get it straight off the bat its a new supes.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #69
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Yeah they could pull some great stuff from Supreme Power:

although this time around i'd like to see the ship land instead of crash (if they show it that is)

Couldn't agree with you more. Loved those pics from the comic.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #70
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
In real life people tend to look like celebrities all of the time. I feel Clark should even joke about being Superman or even looking like him. Reverse psychology at its finest.

Okay embedding is not working for me but something like this would be great.

As for the actual city of Metropolis. New York would be fine...but stay away from iconic buildings like Empire State Building, or the Chrysler Building, or any others...because it will take some people right out of the movie...Kinda like filming about a fictional city in Paris and you get the Eiffel Tower in the shot.
I love this idea! I wrote the same thing in notes i was making about a new superman film:

The general population assumes superman has no secret identity, without a mask, and appearing anywhere in an instant, most assume he’s superman 24-7. Everyone starts out with this assumption. However if the core daily planet staff has enough interaction with Superman after his initial debut and are regularly around Clark Kent it would be impossible for them to not see the connection. Superman would employ doubles, holograms and other devices so that jimmy, Lois, and Perry would see Superman and Clark in the same place at the same time, this would establish just enough doubt in their minds to dismiss the idea of Clark being superman. Although the running gag would be a celebrity look-a-like contest jimmy thinks Clark should enter b/c of resemblance to superman.) Jimmy also comes up with a very scifi-fanboy theory on why Clark and superman look so much alike: Superman copied Clark! He tells Clark his theory is based on the Sci-Fi film “Tracker” staring Adrian Paul (from Highlander). The character in the film was an alien of some sort with and inhuman appearance, when he arrives on earth he needs to blend in so adopts the appearance of the first person he sees, in this case a model on a billboard. Jimmy thinks superman may have done something similar to Clark, thus explaining the similar appearance and them both arriving in metropolis around the same time.

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 04-08-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #71
GreenKToo
In the fire

I've said it before but I think Clark needs to wear brown contacts as well as his glasses.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #72
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I've said it before but I think Clark needs to wear brown contacts as well as his glasses.
Heh, I'm just imagining Clark rushing to become Superman, and pulling out contact holders, carefully pulling out his contacts, spraying saline solution into the holders, and then carefully putting the contacts in the holder, right before the shirt rip.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #73
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
See I think that it would be kind of cool for him to have the ability to change his eye color. Why not? I mean the man can fly and has superhuman strength afterall. Like when he goes into Clark mode, there could be a closeup shot of his eyes, and they turn from blue to brown. Yes, I know that the topic is "Real World", but he is about as far from "Real World" as you are going to get.

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 04-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #74
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

that would be a cool way to go about the whole clark kent/superman look/disguise deal day.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #75
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Thanks, Web. Yeah i think the only way to really through off the planet staff who are around both clark and Superman is to use the doubles. It's been done a lot in the comic. If they can see them both in the same place at same time, or be standing their with clark then see Superman overhead flying around, it would create just enough doubt for them to not see the obvious.