The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Default Have any films made you like certain characters?

Have any comic book/superhero films made you like characters that you never really cared about before? Maybe it was the films themselves or the actors who played them,but have any opened your eyes in that way?
For example,a few characters that I was never really a fan of(or cared about) were Doc Ock,Iron Man and Black Widow. Well,Alfred Molina's version of Ock in Spider-man 2 blew me away and I've started liking the character a bit more and more ever since. And of course,thanks to the genius of Robert Downey Jr I've really become and Iron Man fan recently. I'm not sure if that's how Tony Stark has been in the comics,but Downey's Stark/Iron Man has made me a fan. I could say the same thing about Scarlet Johansson and her version of Black Widow.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Default Re: Have any films made you like certain characters?

Toad after the first X-Men movie springs (no pun intended) to mind.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Definitely Iron Man. Didn't know much about him before the first film. Now I love him. Same goes for Captain America and Thor. I loved Hulk already. The MCU has made me open my eyes for more than just the A-level superheroes.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Victarion
Cut

Hellboy got me into the Hellboy comics. TDKT introduced me to the League of Shadows/Assassins, made them my favorite set of comic book rogues next to Hellboy's bunch. I also enjoy Bane more after TDKR. It fixed some issues I had with his origin in Knightfall.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?" - Stannis Baratheon
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Age of Ultron was pretty much the first time I ever cared for Vision.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Iron Man. I mean I had seen something of the character in comics and animated shows, but he didn't interest me at all.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Also, it isn't a movie, but I always thought Flash was boring until his most recent tv series.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Heretic
Side-Kick

Mystique in the first 2 X-Men movies. The last few have made me lose interest.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
OcStat
Side-Kick

Hmm, I can honestly say no to this question.

All the characters that I've come to like in the movies I already liked from reading the comic books. Nothing yet has totally turned me around from dislike or indifference to liking a character.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Age of Ultron was pretty much the first time I ever cared for Vision.
This, although he's not really the same character as the comics, I REALLY like the MCU version.

Also Scarlett Witch, Iron Man and Groot. Quill and Rocket were probably my favorite Guardians before the movie, but the combo of the effects/Diesel's voice work made Groot so damned expressive I loved him. I realize these are all Marvel, but I've always been more of a DC fan so I pretty much loved those characters before seeing them in movies.

flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:18 AM   #11
def28
Side-Kick

Iron Man, Captain America, Falcoln and Thor.

Comic wise growing up, I was pretty much only pulling indies, Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men comics. With a bit of the cosmic stuff like Silver Surfer, Nova and GOTG. The few main Avengers I did like were Hawkeye and Black Widow. Always thought Cap and Iron Man were lame. The flicks got me to change my mind.

Last edited by def28; 05-18-2015 at 03:22 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #12
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Iron Man. I mean I had seen something of the character in comics and animated shows, but he didn't interest me at all.
Same for me.

The Intern - The Lifeboat - Alice 2 - The Ambassador's Wife - The Shower
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
MrMaooz
Buck Naked

I haven't really read comic books, so yeah.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
Spider-Aziz
Castlevania Hero

Iron Man. I liked the character before, but never was a reader.
I saw a lot of good reviews, and that drove me to read the character title before I watch the movie, read from issue 2 of volume 1 to the end of Michilinie's second run, loved every bit of it, and really loved the character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
I haven't really read comic books, so yeah.
Compare them to their animated counterparts.

"There is no Goddamn justice in the world" ~ WolfCypher, cause USM will have season 4

UltimateWebhead for Spidey Boards Mod
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
Dracoyn

Spiderman for sure!

Dracoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Captain America - Fan since playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance and reading Civil War
Iron Man - Movie
Thor - Movie
X-Men - Comics
Spider-Man - Cartoon
Incredible Hulk - TV Show
Superman - Movie (78')
Batman - Movie (89')

Last edited by Erzengel; 05-18-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Hellboy got me into the Hellboy comics. TDKT introduced me to the League of Shadows/Assassins, made them my favorite set of comic book rogues next to Hellboy's bunch. I also enjoy Bane more after TDKR. It fixed some issues I had with his origin in Knightfall.
Good call on Hellboy. I knew absolutely zilch about him before seeing the first movie. Now I think I've read and enjoyed just about every graphic novel of his.

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 AM   #18
BlackFox
The Law

Captain America - Went from zero to hero for me. Never cared for a character that seemed like just aimed at American audiences when growing up reading comics but The First Avenger film showed me he wasnt some typical muscle bound meat head but actually just a weak regular dude who's heart was in the right place and just wanted to help out like everyone else was doing. It helps that Evans performances have been top notch in every film and understated rather than in your face and OTT.

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #19
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

Winter Soldier made me like Black Widow a lot as a character. To be honest, I thought she was just an annoying b*tch taking-up screentime in Avengers when I first saw it, but maybe that is because she was a more forgettable character in Avengers than Winter Soldier.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #20
AVEITWITHJAMON
Saving Aunt May

SR made me read Superman comics, he is the only DC character whose comics I have read and I am huge Superman fan now, we're as before I was more of a casual fan.

Hellboy is a great shout as well. Knew nothing about the character before the movie, have now read most of the Hellboy and BPRD comics and am currently re-reading the HB ones.

Never thought much of Thor before his first solo movie as well, but loved that and have liked the character since and read a few comics too.

1)Mad Max: Fury Road-9(2)Kingsman: The Secret Service-9(3)Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation-9(4)Ex Machina-8.5(5)Jurassic World-8.5(6)Ant Man-8.5(7)Avengers: Age Of Ultron-8(8)John Wick-8(9)It Follows-8(10)Terminator: Genisys-7(11)Chappie-6
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #21
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Michael Keatons Batman made me like Batman. Before that he was some 60's dude in tights.

Lilbaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Off the top of my head...

LOKI - I've never been a fan of him. I always found him such a one note villain and more annoying rather than menacing. Come 2011 and Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of him in Thor and The Avengers, he's now my favorite villain in the MCU and I'm glad the comics have followed suit with this characterization.

PEGGY CARTER - For the most part, Peggy was just a onetime love interest for Cap and a supporting character of little note. The First Avenger however turned her into a badass secret agent and a compelling character in her own right. It helps that she's played by the gorgeous Hayley Atwell who now kicks ass in the Agent Carter tv show.

BLACK WIDOW - Truth be told, I've never really followed Black Widow in the comics. But damn do I love Scarlett Johansson's portrayal of Natasha, especially in Winter Soldier.

GROOT - A talking tree who says only three words, yet becomes the most memorable character in a superhero ensemble? Hats off to James Gunn and Vin Diesel for pulling it off.

DRAX THE DESTROYER - And hats off too to Dave Batista for delivering a hilarious new take on a character I never cared for in the comics.

GWEN STACY - For years we've known her as Spider-Man's first girlfriend who died. I've never really thought of her as much and much preferred Mary Jane as a love interest. Come 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man and Emma Stone made me fall in love with the character.

WOLVERINE - I guess I should come out and say it. I've never really liked Wolverine. I've never been fond of the character like many. But Hugh Jackman's very humanizing take on him in the films made me a fan.

PROFESSOR X - Most people would say Patrick Stewart is the perfect Charles Xavier. But as much as I like Picard in the role, it's James Mcavoy's portrayal in First Class and Days of Future's Past that I enjoy more.

SABRETOOTH - Nope. Not fanboying on Tyler Mane's one note performance in the first X-Men. I'm talking about Liev Schreiber's sinister take on Victor Creed. The one shining gem in the turd that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

BATMAN - Yes, I agree with all the complaints regarding Christian Bale's Batman voice. But still, he made Bruce Wayne a real character in the Nolan trilogy.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
Decepticonus
Fascist Super Hero

Gwen Stacy - I have a huge appreciation of the character more than ever and lately I've been growing immensely tired of MJ to the point I'd be OK if they did some One More Day crap if MJ was killed off and now Gwen is alive and married to Peter.

Superman - I was a very very very casual fan until Man of Steel.

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
The Batman
Masked Manhunter

Blade
Guardians of the Galaxy
Professor Xavier
Loki
Peggy Carter

Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
Keehar
Banned User

Mystique

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote