The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man World

Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Stark's experience/skills

Ok, first off - forgive me if this has been discussed before. This is something that just came into my head earlier and it's an open and honest question rather than a criticism of the movie or Iron Man in general.

I've seen the Iron Man 1 movie a few times and growing up I read a few Iron Man comics here and there, so I'm familiar with the character, his suits, powers, motivations, etc. However that's the extent of my knowledge - I'm sure there are some major events and storylines in Iron Man history that I've missed out on.

My question is this : from what we've seen in the first film and any books I read, Tony Stark is basically a businessman/genius. Very good at what he does, but what he does has never included any combat training, strategy, army skills, etc. He's basically led a life where he's either in the lab creating new technologies, heading up the odd business meeting at Stark Industries in his suit, or partying and racing cars as per his playboy lifestyle. What military experience (or otherwise) does he have which allows him to wield and control something as powerful as his Iron Man suits?

If you think of any famous person out there who lives a similar lifestyle and appears to have had no formal training or the like, the world would be up in arms if they suddenly were given control of a suit like the Iron Man suit which can wipe out a small army.

My question is probably grounded in reality and I know it's a movie, suspend disbelief, etc etc etc etc ...............but it's just something I wondered about - was it ever dealt with in the comics?

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

Default Re: Stark's experience/skills

well he has been selling weapons for years, so he should have a knowledge of how they work and are utilized. As for fighting experience, he's still new at it, as evidenced in Iron Man 1.
(Gulmira and Final battle)

I'm assuming the training he'll receive between movies and during IM2 will counter this.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Ok, first off - forgive me if this has been discussed before. This is something that just came into my head earlier and it's an open and honest question rather than a criticism of the movie or Iron Man in general.

I've seen the Iron Man 1 movie a few times and growing up I read a few Iron Man comics here and there, so I'm familiar with the character, his suits, powers, motivations, etc. However that's the extent of my knowledge - I'm sure there are some major events and storylines in Iron Man history that I've missed out on.

My question is this : from what we've seen in the first film and any books I read, Tony Stark is basically a businessman/genius. Very good at what he does, but what he does has never included any combat training, strategy, army skills, etc. He's basically led a life where he's either in the lab creating new technologies, heading up the odd business meeting at Stark Industries in his suit, or partying and racing cars as per his playboy lifestyle. What military experience (or otherwise) does he have which allows him to wield and control something as powerful as his Iron Man suits?

If you think of any famous person out there who lives a similar lifestyle and appears to have had no formal training or the like, the world would be up in arms if they suddenly were given control of a suit like the Iron Man suit which can wipe out a small army.

My question is probably grounded in reality and I know it's a movie, suspend disbelief, etc etc etc etc ...............but it's just something I wondered about - was it ever dealt with in the comics?
In the comics, shortly after building the Iron Man armor, he built a "Danger Room" in the Stark Mansion, when he left the mansion to the Avengers and got a new place in New York he built another one. After Stane took over and Tony moved to California, he built a more high tech "danger room", this one had holograms instead of just your typical hydraulics.

As far as combat training, he received that from Captain America, Happy Hogan taught him how to box and military training from Rhodey.

True, he won't be able to take on Captain America, Daredevil, Batman or any other great hand to hand fighter, but he can handle himself in a fight against regular thugs.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
What military experience (or otherwise) does he have which allows him to wield and control something as powerful as his Iron Man suits?
This is exactly the angle that I expect Gary Shandlings character to be coming from in the movie [for all the reasons you've listed] - what does make Tony qualified to fly around, basically as a living weapon, and potentially put lives of innocent people at risk?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
This is exactly the angle that I expect Gary Shandlings character to be coming from in the movie [for all the reasons you've listed] - what does make Tony qualified to fly around, basically as a living weapon, and potentially put lives of innocent people at risk?
I agree completely. It's a really interesting question. I'm not well versed in American law, just the basics, since the common law system overlaps with some things over here. That said, I would assume that the need for a lisence to carry a gun would extend to a gun that the holder made. Now, if that gun is computerised and mounted on a shoulder, there wouldn't be a difference in the legal requirement. Turn that up a notch, include explosves, and you have Iron Man. In reality I believe it would be much more clear cut and the armor would be easily legally confiscated. So it will be great to see how it is handled in the film. I hope they don't dumb down the legal issue to the point of bickering.

Shivsguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Well over here we have a little thing called the 2nd Amendment which Tony could use(along with his bottomless bank account and an armyof lawyers) to keep the gov't from confiscating it for years on end. Probably why they decide to just swipe it. Also Tony seems to have public opinion on his side as everyone seems to love Iron Man.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Zenoxen
Side-Kick

To kendrell: His bank accout is bing, but ain't bottomless. Accordin to Iron Man's profile at Marvel Wikia, he has about 8 bilion dollars.
And about you signature - Iron Man 3 is going out on 2013.
To the rest: Becides Happy's boxe (I don't know if this is well written - Not native speaker) classes, I bet that JARVIS also helps on the actual fighting.

Zenoxen is offline   Reply With Quote