The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #276
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Default Re: Official (adjectiveless) X-MEN Discussion Thread

So... Logan's a vampire now. I know he always had a bloodlust, but this is ridiculous.

Hey, I'm trying to strike up a less asinine conversation.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #277
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Sigh. Yes, you proved me incorrect. SO incorrect. Gosh, so much so that I'll now have to be extra careful to refer to Astonishing as an in-continuity-but-treated-as-out-of-continuity-for-all-intents-and-purposes-because-it-doesn't-get-recognized-or-used-as-part-of-crossovers-blah-blah-whatever-else-for-proper-disclaimer-purposes.

Brilliant!

(Not too many hyphens, I hope. It'll never become catchy with too many hyphens.)

Sheesh, that sardonic retort was a bit too tough to get out. Kindly refer to the above "Wow."

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #278
kinetic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
So... Logan's a vampire now. I know he always had a bloodlust, but this is ridiculous.

Hey, I'm trying to strike up a less asinine conversation.
I'm not liking the plot of Wolverine turning into a vamp, it seems so obvious that Cyclops has a plan which Wolverine seems to be in on. I hope to be pleasently suprised.

Last edited by kinetic; 10-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #279
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Am I the only one who noticed that kinetic proved El Bastardo's point about X-Men Legecy somewhere in the process of supposedly proving him wrong?

Ah, nevermind.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #280
kinetic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Am I the only one who noticed that kinetic proved El Bastardo's point about X-Men Legecy somewhere in the process of supposedly proving him wrong?

Ah, nevermind.
I don't see the point on going on about it anymore

Sigh.....elaborate, what point was this,

Cyclops is in Legacy, Astonishing, Adjectivless and Uncanny these coming months, is this the point because it's true

Last edited by kinetic; 10-12-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #281
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Jubilation Lee, known as Jubilee to her teammates, is still fairly young, but she’s a survivor. In her early teens her world was shattered following the murder of her parents by hitmen. She was forced into an orphanage but ran away and hid inside a Los Angeles shopping mall. It was here she discovered her mutant ability to generate bursts of multi-colored energy plasmoids. It’s also where she ran across the Marvel Universe’s premier team of mutants, the X-Men. Jubilee eventually joined up with the team and served with distinction as a member of both the main X-Men team and Generation X, a training squad for young mutants.

While serving with the X-Men, Jubilee made deep and lasting friendships, especially with Wolverine whom she often found herself partnered with. She also experienced heartbreak via the loss of several friends in combat, but Jubilee’s toughest ordeal as a mutant came when she found she no longer was one. She was one of countless mutants that lost their abilities because the Scarlet Witch's reality altering powers during House of M. Jubilee eventually recovered and made a new life for herself. First she tried being a technology-based hero in a short lived incarnation of the New Warriors. When that didn't work out she moved to San Francisco and renewed her affiliation with the X-Men.

Tragedy again struck Jubilee when an army of Vampires recently invaded San Francisco. One of their attacks transformed her into a bloodthirsty member of the living dead. The story of Jubilee’s transformation into a vampire is being chronicled in the pages of "Curse of the Mutants," the first story arc in the newly launched "X-Men" series by writer Victor Gischler and artist Paco Medina. Writer Kathryn Immonen and artist Phil Noto explore how Jubilee and her closest mutant friend Wolverine will cope with her new vampiric nature in the upcoming four issue miniseries, "Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants." CBR News spoke with Immonen about the January-debuting project.

CBR News: Kathryn, with your recent "X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back" mini-series you tackled a youthful X-character who had lost part of her soul to supernatural evil. Now you’re tackling another young x-character who has been tainted by darkness in "Wolverine and Jubilee." Is this coincidence? Or do you just find yourself drawn to these types of characters?

Kathryn Immonen: Didn't you know? There are no coincidences in comics. I'd be lying if I said I spend my spare time thinking about my ultimate Jubilee story or how to make Valeria Richards' back story even more complicated (if that's possible) or how awesome it would be to have a 3 Sleepers toy that you could take apart and put back together again. (Actually, the last one is true. I think about that a fair bit.) Having said that, though, it's totally fair to draw a straight line through all the projects I've been asked to do for Marvel. By now, I think I've been able to show where my affinities lie. I mean, you don't get offers for projects based on work you haven't done. If that makes any sense.

What do you find most interesting about Jubilee as a character? What aspects of her personality are you interested in exploring in this series?

I don't think there's ever been a trickier time to try and answer that question for a character. You turn somebody into a vampire and it's kind of a game changer. Jubilee was one of those awesome characters that was able to monetize their mutation and she was always really kind of delightful and independent and resourceful. And even when she lost her mutant powers, she still identified strongly as mutant. Now, she couldn't possibly be further away from that being a choice for her. So the real question is, what is she and where does she belong? Which are both fundamentally mutant questions.

The "Curse of the Mutants" storyline in "X-Men" is still ongoing, so I know you may have to be cryptic, but what can you tell us about Jubilee's physical and mental states when your mini-series begins? Is she still wrestling with vampirism? And if so, how is that struggle affecting her personality?

At the beginning of the series, she's a flipping disaster and yes, still a vampire, but also still Jubilee. These three things form the Jubilee Venn Diagram. As you might expect, things get a whole lot worse for her before they get - I won't say "better," let's say different. Also, she's not the only one wrestling with her current condition. It affects everyone around her deeply because no one wants to write her off and they certainly can't just turn her loose.

Speaking of those around her, this series is also about the dynamic between Jubilee and her longtime friend, Wolverine. Jubilee recently attacked Wolverine in "Curse of the Mutants" and was apparently, at least as far as we've seen the story progress, at least partly successful in transforming him into a vampire. How have those events affected the relationship between the two characters?

Wolverine and Jubilee have had this relationship in the past where they’ve always turned up for each other and it's not something that either wants to give up easily but now everything is tainted with mistrust and guilt. More than that, Wolverine is no longer the elder states-mutant in this relationship because, all things being equal, Jubilee will outlive him, which is something neither of them are ready for.

In terms of plot and theme, what is "Wolverine & Jubilee" about?

It's fundamentally about Jubilee's journey, after a life-altering experience, after having done things - terrible things that she can't undo - toward whatever the future holds for her. It's about the effort to find some kind of stability and normalcy when every fiber of her being is crying out for exactly the opposite. It's about her inability to meet the old expectations that the X-Men may have for her and about whether or not there's enough 'Jubilee' left in her to make that okay.

What can you tell us about the obstacles and adversaries that Wolverine and Jubilee must contend with in this series?

The real obstacle and adversary is, of course, Jubilee herself. But that's like the story equivalent of watching someone having a migraine. The way it gets manifested is as a series of bad decisions based on limited experience. She is, after all, 17, and that's been known to cloud a person's judgment.

Who are some of the other important supporting cast members in this series?

Rockslide! Emma! A real live human girl that I haven't found a name for yet, and a group of shadowy women that welcome Jubilee with open arms and lots and lots of money. It's a seduction that can't be resisted and one that disguises, as you might expect, an entirely different goal.

What do you feel Phil Noto brings to this book as an artist?

I am so excited to be working with an artist of his caliber. His women are amazing, the storytelling is exceptional. Phil's work gets books to the cash register. I am incredibly, incredibly lucky.

How would you describe the tone of "Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants?" It sounds like it could be a dark tale of temptation and possible addiction. Is that correct?

That sounds about right. What's happened to Jubilee is as serious as a heart attack, but I don't want anyone to think it's going to be an unrelenting grind either. It's a book with a lot of glamour and high adventure. I think the pyramids make an appearance at some point.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #282
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:

Ah, nevermind.
No. The fact that he did - and didn't realize it - is what sapped the energy out of my sardonic retort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I don't see the point on going on about it anymore

Sigh.....elaborate, what point was this,

Cyclops is in Legacy, Astonishing, Adjectivless and Uncanny these coming months, is this the point because it's true
Psssst. What Manic was mentioning was irony. Check it out.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #283
kinetic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
No. The fact that he did - and didn't realize it - is what sapped the energy out of my sardonic retort.

Psssst. What Manic was mentioning was irony. Check it out.
Wait i came here for discussion dude, i came here with a lot of valid points, not to be mocked, im out peace.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #284
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

The movie-centric parts of the Hype will eat kinetic apart if that's all it takes. Even I dare not venture in those parts-- especially the Batman and Spider-Man areas.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #285
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

That's a chalk mark for me. Here, Manic, I'll share with you.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #286
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at X-Men #5, from the red-hot creative team of Victor Gischler and Paco Medina! The legion of the undead has finally been set loose on the island nation of Utopia! With former X-Men member Wolverine leading the vampire attack, Cyclops will have to rethink his strategy if the mutants are to survive until sunrise. To make matters worse, the newly resurrected Dracula has disappeared. Beware the Curse of the Mutants in X-Men #5!

X-MEN #5 (SEP100661)
X-MEN #5 MEDINA VARIANT (SEP100662)
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Penciled by PACO MEDINA
Cover by ADI GRANOV
Variant Cover by PACO MEDINA
Rated T+ $3.99
FOC 10/22/10, On-Sale -11/17/10

Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #287
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

im gonna miss Medina after this arc.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #288
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Wish he'd stay on after #7

Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #289
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #7
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Penciled by CHRIS BACHALO
Cover by TERRY DODSON
Variant Covers by TERRY DODSON & CHRIS BACHALO
Blank Variant also available
“PROTECT AND SERVE,” PART ONE
It's a new age for the X-Men. Cyclops and company have declared it a time to be heroes. Wherever a citizen is in need, there's an X-Man on the job. But strange rumors have come to the attention of the X-Men, and Storm and her team are off to New York City to investigate. What do they find in the dank sewers beneath Manhattan? Only New York's favorite wall-crawler has the answers.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #290
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

WOLVERINE AND JUBILEE #1 (of 4)
Written by Kathryn Immonen
Art by PHIL NOTO
Cover by NIMIT MALAVIA
Variant Cover by NIMIT MALAVIA
STRAIGHT OUT OF THE PAGES OF X-MEN AND RIGHT INTO THE JUGULAR! Jubilee is about as far away from the ideal X-Man as it is possible for a 17-year-old minty fresh vampire to be. While the X-Men try to find a way to give her as normal a life as is inhumanly feasible, her decidedly abnormal vampire cravings will not be denied. Between that and her newfound powers, she’s winning the fights but not the popularity contests among most of the other X-Kids. Most...but not all. And just when Jubilee starts to think that there is no place for her anywhere, a group of vampire women make her an offer she can't refuse. It seems like the perfect solution…unless Wolverine has anything to say about it!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

NOT ACTUAL COVER

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #291
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Well golly gosh. I guess Jubilee walks away from this storyline as a good vampire. I'm sure Lady Jac will teach her the secret handshake that stops you from getting staked by Blade.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #292
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

she's still 17? i wouldve figured shed at least be old enough to drink by now.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #293
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Husk is still only 19, so it makes sense for Jubilee to still be 17 or 18.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #294
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #5

STORY BY Victor Gischler
ART BY Paco Medina
COVER BY Adi Granov
PUBLISHER: Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE: Wed, November 17th, 2010

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at X-Men #5, from the chart-topping team of Victor Gischler and Paco Medina! The completely sold-out X-Men epic of the 21st century enters into its final act as the vampire hordes -- led by a newly turned and bloodthirsty Wolverine -- mount an all out assault on the team's island stronghold of Utopia. Too bad then that Cyclops' ace in the hole, a resurrected and vengeful Dracula, is nowhere to be found. With their two heaviest hitters out of the ranks, can Cyke and Blade keep the X-Men from falling into the enemy's food chain? And will they be willing to put down one of their own to do so? "Curse of the Mutants" continues only in X-Men #5!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #295
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 10-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #296
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MUTANTS - X-MEN VS. VAMPIRES #2

STORY BY Mike Benson, Howard Chaykin, Mike W. Barr
ART BY Mark Texeira, Howard Chaykin, Agustin Padilla
COLORS BY Dan Brown, Edgar Delgado, Rachelle Rosenberg
LETTERS BY Dave Sharpe
COVER BY Nick Bradshaw, Jim Charalampidis
PUBLISHER: Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE: Wed, October 27th, 2010

We could tell one volume of heart-pounding vampire thrills weren’t enough for you, and that’s why we’re giving you four all new-stories to sink your teeth into! Your favorite mutants take on that which goes bump in the night in ways you never could have imagined! PLUS the conclusion to the classic Claremont and Sienkiewicz thriller, NIGHT SCREAMS, from Uncanny X-Men #159. The way you look at the X-Men will never be the same!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #297
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post

ugh i hate it when they draw Bobby in those shorts.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #298
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Wow, someone remembered that Karma sounds sorta French. Those pencils are sloppy as hell, though.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #299
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

I'd take these ones over how they had her look in her Manifest Destiny story. Yeesh.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #300
chris moore
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024 View Post
[/CENTER]
ugh i hate it when they draw Bobby in those shorts.
Damn clever way to use him though - and about time they bloody used him!

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote