The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #326
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Default Re: Official (adjectiveless) X-MEN Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
Me too looking at those covers it just looks like another Cyke and Emma book to me.
So far it has been. Just like Uncanny and Astonishing. Same 5 dudes, man. Same 5 dudes.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #327
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
So far it has been. Just like Uncanny and Astonishing. Same 5 dudes, man. Same 5 dudes.
Isn't that, like, so not the point of the X Men? X fans like them because it's a team comic. If we wanted comics focused on a single character, we would be reading Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man, etc.... Marvel doesn't seem to get this lately...

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #328
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
As with every year, with every relaunch, with every retitling, with every new writer who will "change the face of the x-men"... I'm still waiting for a larger role for Iceman. The occasional ice blast, or comment to the x-kids about being an original x-man isn't exactly prime use of a character with so much history (until 2001) and so much potential to his power.

But no, it's cool. Let's focus on a thousand brawlers as the main team. Long as Cyke fires off a single optic blast every 19th issues or so (seriously, do they even bother with putting Scott in a combat situation anymore?), then that pretty much covers the exotic powers.
I hear you man, im still waiting for Iceman's larger role and it annoys me when writers dont see the potential in him and stick to the same 5 or 6 chracters in all the x-books...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post
Isn't that, like, so not the point of the X Men? X fans like them because it's a team comic. If we wanted comics focused on a single character, we would be reading Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man, etc.... Marvel doesn't seem to get this lately...
Yeah man bring back the Blue and Gold teams in different books, thats what i want.

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #329
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Englishman View Post
Yeah man bring back the Blue and Gold teams in different books, thats what i want.
The Blue and Gold teams always did kinda confuse me. Were they in different Mansion/Schools? And were they two different teams but both under X-men or was it just two different books with different members who happen to be around?

Mass Nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #330
chris moore
Side-Kick

It was the same mansion, and they all lived there at the same time. Xavier just appointed Cyclops and Storm the leader's of their respective teams.

Aside from wishing away the day for when Iceman is used credibly and respected, and for the core books to feature characters other than the Astonishing team, I also wish for the Blue and Gold premise. Now we have Utopia and what it represents and what the general population is, the idea of two field teams that train and work together and go on missions is more important than ever. If the writers at least chose characters primarily on their powersets, and then on their personalities (and who they want to clash most or play with), then we could have that team feel. Adjectiveless focuses on one team, whether its a mission or a day on the island with whatever cameos and guest stars they want, Uncanny does the same with the other team, and Legacy is the island book. The one that focusses on Scott and Emma (though Scott appears in X-Men and Uncanny as much as Xavier used to in the Blue and Gold books) and the extra missions for specific members, day to day island life, the x-kids, the X-club etc.

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #331
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Nerder View Post
The Blue and Gold teams always did kinda confuse me. Were they in different Mansion/Schools? And were they two different teams but both under X-men or was it just two different books with different members who happen to be around?
I dont see what was confusign about it. It was 2 different teams which operated within the same mansion. Initially the Gold team dealt with more global threats, including going to different dimensions, whereas the Blue team was more local. In that sense Gold was the Away team and Blue was the Home team. Gold was lead by Storm and Blue, lead by Cyclops. The concept only lasted for just under 2 years at which point there was just one X-men team and no clear seperate squads

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #332
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
It was the same mansion, and they all lived there at the same time. Xavier just appointed Cyclops and Storm the leader's of their respective teams.

Aside from wishing away the day for when Iceman is used credibly and respected, and for the core books to feature characters other than the Astonishing team, I also wish for the Blue and Gold premise. Now we have Utopia and what it represents and what the general population is, the idea of two field teams that train and work together and go on missions is more important than ever. If the writers at least chose characters primarily on their powersets, and then on their personalities (and who they want to clash most or play with), then we could have that team feel. Adjectiveless focuses on one team, whether its a mission or a day on the island with whatever cameos and guest stars they want, Uncanny does the same with the other team, and Legacy is the island book. The one that focusses on Scott and Emma (though Scott appears in X-Men and Uncanny as much as Xavier used to in the Blue and Gold books) and the extra missions for specific members, day to day island life, the x-kids, the X-club etc.
Thanks for clearing that up. Now please forgive me as I haven't read any X-Men book in a long time (aside from Astonishing from time to time and I read Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run) and I've just picked up the adjective-less X-Men book a few months ago but where is Xavier? I heard he was dead but I could swear I remember seeing him in Astonishing.

Last edited by Mass Nerder; 01-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #333
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Now please forgive me as I haven't read any X-Men book in a long time (aside from Astonishing from time to time) and I've just picked up the adjective-less X-Men book a few months ago but where is Xavier? I heard he was dead but I could swear I remember seeing him in Astonishing.
Charles is still alive. In fact, he's walking and everything. He just doesn't show up very often because Cyclops is running the X-Men now. He's on Cyclops' council of advisors, though.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #334
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Also I know this is a bit off subject, but I personally (and that's just my humble opinion) but I thought Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run was great. The one team aspect was okay but that's not what appealed to me. What I really liked was that (like the movie and somewhat with New X-Men) the X-Men had sort of a uniform look to their costumes. I know a lot of people hate that but to me it makes more since. I wish they would go back to doing something like that, sorta like the original Stan Lee X-Men.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #335
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I'm against the X-Men having identical uniforms, but only because so many characters look alike. Unless I can see a unique costume, I can't tell the difference between Emma Frost, the Stepford Cuckoos, Dazzler, Magma, Husk, and Magik. Then you've got Jubilee, Karma, and Armor.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #336
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I'm against the X-Men having identical uniforms, but only because so many characters look alike. Unless I can see a unique costume, I can't tell the difference between Emma Frost, the Stepford Cuckoos, Dazzler, Magma, Husk, and Magik. Then you've got Jubilee, Karma, and Armor.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #337
Havok83
Side-Kick

I loved some of the uniform looks from the past like New X-men, Havok's X-Factor team, Xmen in the early 90s when they all wore the training suit. It works when theres a small group of 7 or less. Its only a problem now bc there's dozens of members, many without a distinguishing physical feature.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #338
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
It works when theres a small group of 7 or less. Its only a problem now bc there's dozens of members, many without a distinguishing physical feature.
Good point. Also I do love the uniform look but I hated the X-Force uniform where they all looked like they were cast members of the Matrix. Ultimate X-Men did that to some extent but it wasn't as obvious.

PS what is everyone's take on Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run? Personally I thought it was underrated and over shadowed by Ultimate Spider-man.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #339
Havok83
Side-Kick

I loved Miller's Ult X-men when he wrote it. It felt like a very modern and unique take on the X-men. Very fresh and a good alternative to the 616 stories. He was good but BKV's run was my favorite for the title. I was sad when he left

Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #340
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

OH loved Miller's run but if he did the hellfire arc I cannot forgive him for that piece of crap. But that is for a different thread lol. But really liked that they had a small team that gave a node to the original and the All diffrent teams that was a good idea. I just wish the writers in 616 would do the same instead as stated of using the same over and over again, look at the choice of teams they could take from.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #341
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Yeah, I am all for that. Then we wouldn't ahve to wonder how Cyke could be in five places at once. No more continuity errors either.

Quote:
Also I know this is a bit off subject, but I personally (and that's just my humble opinion) but I thought Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run was great. The one team aspect was okay but that's not what appealed to me. What I really liked was that (like the movie and somewhat with New X-Men) the X-Men had sort of a uniform look to their costumes. I know a lot of people hate that but to me it makes more since. I wish they would go back to doing something like that, sorta like the original Stan Lee X-Men.
I liked Ultimate X and hated to see it go.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #342
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
And if they want a third team to fill a third book they could creat a Red team...

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #343
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

They could have as many teams as they liked, each in their own books. I'd buy most of them if they did.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #344
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
I loved Miller's Ult X-men when he wrote it. It felt like a very modern and unique take on the X-men. Very fresh and a good alternative to the 616 stories. He was good but BKV's run was my favorite for the title. I was sad when he left
is Ultimate X-Men worth checking out? i got the first arc in trade and i wasnt too crazy about it, and i get a handful of issues later on when Spidey guest appeared (it mightve been a Bendis). again didnt do anything for me. i ask cuz i remember reading Ultimate X and i was kinda diggin it and it made we wanna possible run back to see what happened in the first 100 issues.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #345
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Millar's Ultimate X-Men is like the opposite of Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. While Ult. Spider-Man spent a lot of time on dialogue to flesh out the new versions of these characters while using Spidey's superheroics as a way to unravel more of Peter's personality, Ult. X-Men was balls-to-the-wall action with a dash of political intrigue and characters who barely differentiate from one another. But then, that's the case with most of the stuff Millar writes. I still enjoyed the hell out of Ultimate X-Men, though. It was the funnest comic in the Ultimate line for a while. The characters started to get fleshed out a bit more once Bendis and Vaughan started writing, and Vaughan managed to keep it fun while he was still there.

I wasn't a fan of Kirkman's run, though. That's when I stopped reading the book.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #346
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't read BKV's run but I really enjoyed Robert Kirkman's take. I mean who would have thought of making Cable actually Wolverine from the future?! Personally I thought that was genius! But that one bit aside the rest of his run was really fun as well. Just nothing had a jaw dropping moment like that did.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #347
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Ultimate Cable basically sums up the reason I stopped reading Ultimate comics. As time went by, the comics became less about new takes on old characters and more about being different for the sake of being different.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #348
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't read BKV's run but I really enjoyed Robert Kirkman's take. I mean who would have thought of making Cable actually Wolverine from the future?! Personally I thought that was genius! But that one bit aside the rest of his run was really fun as well. Just nothing had a jaw dropping moment like that did.
Kirkman single handely killed Ultimate X-men for me. The guy that came after did his best but man I was so not interested in the title after Kirkman was through with it

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #349
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Ultimate Cable basically sums up the reason I stopped reading Ultimate comics. As time went by, the comics became less about new takes on old characters and more about being different for the sake of being different.
God, Cable was def when things passed the point of no return.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #350
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Kirkman single handely killed Ultimate X-men for me. The guy that came after did his best but man I was so not interested in the title after Kirkman was through with it
wow I guess I'm the only one who like Kirkman's run lol. I wasn't crazy about it but I did like it and I, personally, liked what he did with Cable, but hey that's just me. To each his or her own I guess.