The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Heart Superheroes and Love Interests

I wanted to do my tenth thread on love interests in superhero movies.

I understand the negatives of having a love interest in superhero movies, typically the love story can take away from the development of the hero character and their story.

However, I'm open to the concept of love interests because it's one of the general rules of superhero movies nowadays, and having this kind of sub-story can humanise a hero and make the hero a better character.

If love interests are written very well and treated like the equal to the superhero, then I'm cool with them being around.

What are your thoughts and opinions on love interests?

queendarkness12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
AVEITWITHJAMON
Saving Aunt May

Default Re: Superheroes and Love Interests

Even as a guy I think there are some superheroes out there who NEED a love interest to work. Spiderman and Superman are the two most obvious ones, I think both need a romantic interest in their movies. X-Men would probably fall into that category as well.

1)Mad Max: Fury Road-9(2)Kingsman: The Secret Service-9(3)Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation-9(4)Ex Machina-8.5(5)Jurassic World-8.5(6)Ant Man-8.5(7)Avengers: Age Of Ultron-8(8)John Wick-8(9)It Follows-8(10)Terminator: Genisys-7(11)Chappie-6
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

I like love interests if they are written well and were also good characters, well, like Lois Lane in Man of Steel and Pepper Potts in the MCU.

Last edited by queendarkness12; 01-30-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Personally, I find it tiring that every superhero should have a love interest to make them interesting. Whether in comics or the movies. There are ways to make a superhero relatable without a token love interest, as there a ways to introduce angst without stuffing said love interest in the fridge.

That said, I don't mind romance in comic book films so long as they're done well. I particularly liked the romances in the Iron Man and Captain America movies, which were quite subtle and believable. I wasn't much of a fan of Peter and Mary Jane's romance in Raimi's Spider-Man films (I much preferred Peter and Gwen Stacy's love story in the Webb Spider-Man movies).

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacethegrey View Post
Personally, I find it tiring that every superhero should have a love interest to make them interesting. Whether in comics or the movies. There are ways to make a superhero relatable without a token love interest, as there a ways to introduce angst without stuffing said love interest in the fridge.

That said, I don't mind romance in comic book films so long as they're done well. I particularly liked the romances in the Iron Man and Captain America movies, which were quite subtle and believable. I wasn't much of a fan of Peter and Mary Jane's romance in Raimi's Spider-Man films (I much preferred Peter and Gwen Stacy's love story in the Webb Spider-Man movies).
I thought the Peter and Gwen relationship was a breath of fresh air, since the Mary-Jane one in the previous movies did't make me a fan of the character.

Peter and Gwen's relationship in the Amazing Spider-Man movies should be a fair example on how a superhero romance can be done write and the story can still evolve around the hero.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

My problem with the Mary Jane romance was that she was just a dull character overall. Beyond being a screaming damsel in distress, what was so interesting about her?

Gwen on the other hand, was a very well written love interest. She's smart and capable, and is not just a token love interest for Peter. And credit should be given to Emma Stone for being such a good actress and having great chemistry with Andrew Garfield (which isn't surprising, since they are a couple in real life).

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
CaptainWagner
SubstituteKing of Wakanda

Quote:
My problem with the Mary Jane romance was that she was just a dull character overall. Beyond being a screaming damsel in distress, what was so interesting about her?

Gwen on the other hand, was a very well written love interest. She's smart and capable, and is not just a token love interest for Peter. And credit should be given to Emma Stone for being such a good actress and having great chemistry with Andrew Garfield (which isn't surprising, since they are a couple in real life).
The Mary Jane of the comics is a great character, but none of that really showed up in the films.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
The Mary Jane of the comics is a great character, but none of that really showed up in the films.
Mary Jane was great in the original Spider-Man animated series, overcoming Baron Mordo's brainwashing and the relationship with Peter was better written in the cartoon, than the Raimi movies.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Will Steve Trevor become the first male love interest in the new CBM era?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Quote:
I believe killing Gwen Stacy off in TASM2 was a mistake, since she became a fan favourite, it should have been saved for the third film as a trilogy ender.

The second movie should have allowed Electro and Harry Osborn to develop their characters in the movie.

Then, let Harry turn to Goblin in the third movie, so the build up and development can have a nice pay off.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

What about the possibilities of Monica Lynne, Clea and Medusa coming in the MCU?

Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Blackman
C'mon Son

I like the love stories or at least I dont mind them if theyre done well. I think Pepper and Tony's was good in Iron Man, but they messed it up in the sequels.
I think the problem with most of them is that they feel like theyre there just to be there.
I do think they kind of have messed up 2 of the great ones. Lois Lane and Superman and Peter Parker and Mary Jane. I dont think recent movies have done them justice.

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Human Torch
Banned User

Most heroes tend to have a leading lady closely tied to their lives from the decades of the comics. Some (like Captain America) aren't really defined by their leading lady. Others like Batman have a revolving door of ladies (Catwoman,Vicki Vale,Talia,Etc) any of which he could be paired with.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I do think they kind of have messed up 2 of the great ones. Lois Lane and Superman and Peter Parker and Mary Jane. I dont think recent movies have done them justice.
Mary Jane and Lois Lane are the best of the best and the definitive, iconic superhero love interests.

At least in Lois' case, we've had great live action versions but they've been mostly on television. Teri Hatcher was a perfect Lois Lane (still the definitive portrayal) and even Erica Durance (from Smallville) embodied the modern Lois extremely well. Not to mention Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill were very good for their era. On the film side, only Margot Kidder's version was handled well.

In regards to Mary Jane, there's only been one live action version and well, the less said about it the better.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by Scarlet Spider; 03-13-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:36 AM   #16
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Gwen Stacey
Jean Grey
Peggy Carter
Silk Spectre

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #17
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

I'm open to see what the DCCU will do with Iris West, Carol Ferris, Queen Mera and Sarah Charles.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
Victarion
Cut

I like it when the relationships are already established from the get-go and each movie tests those relationships. My favorites are Batman/Catwoman, Bruce/Miranda, Abe/Nuala and Hellboy/Liz.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?" - Stannis Baratheon
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

My favourite DC couples are Bruce/Selina, Oliver/Dinah, Clark/Lois and Barry/Iris.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

I'm alright with the concept of love interests, since we are getting better ones in this era of comic book movies, than the past superhero movies.

The future is going to get a lot better, since WB/DC has a chance of making their love interests better characters and add flavor to their movies and the stories.

The MCU:
Pepper Potts, Betty Ross, Jane Foster, Peggy Carter, Hope Van Dyne, Monica Lynne and Clea.

I'd pick Mary-Jane to be in the new Spidey film.

The DCCU: Lois Lane, Steve Trevor, Iris West, Selina Kyle, Queen Mera, Carol Ferris and Sarah Charles.

I could add Vicki Vale and Talia Al Ghul, as possible interests for Batman.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #21
Zantera
Side-Kick

I prefer Raimi's Mary Jane over Webb's Gwen Stacy. I think MJ could have been better, and they could have written more things to her character, but IMO she felt real. People can complain about the fact that she ends up in danger and Spider-Man needs to save her, but is it really that far fetched? She is the love interest of a superhero with loads of villains, and most of them find out his identity. There should have been some more attributes to her character, and they could have given Kirsten Dunst more to work with, because she is a great actress.

But at least from a slightly realistic point of view, the love interest, who is just a normal girl and ends up in danger because of the villains finding out the hero's identity, is much more plausible than Gwen Stacy stealing a police car and driving into a power plant to meddle in the battle with Spidey vs Electro. The takeaway from the ending of TASM2 was basically what happens when you as a mortal human try to interfere in giant battles between superhuman characters.

Zantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #22
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

I hope WB/DC put effort in making their love interests good characters and are useful to the story, since their characters have more impact on their heroes.

Marvel has done a decent job with their love interests, but Pepper and Peggy were the only ones that got good development in their characters.

MY SUPERHERO CHARACTERS

JUSTICE LEAGUE - RAVEN JOYNER
AVENGERS - CHANTELLE BLACK

My Fanfic Page: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=498863
Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

I'd like to see Mary Jane get a second chance of being done right, alongside the relationship between Scott and Jean.

MY SUPERHERO CHARACTERS

JUSTICE LEAGUE - RAVEN JOYNER
AVENGERS - CHANTELLE BLACK

My Fanfic Page: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=498863
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I would love a change of pace where the love interest of the hero's civvie ID ISN'T involved in any way with the goings on in the super hero/super villain stuff. Like, they can be an important influence and part of the hero's life but do they have to always be at the center of stuff in the battle between the villain and the hero? Yes, it makes sense for the Bad Guy to exploit a weakness if he finds out who the hero is involved with. Yes, this adds drama and tensions and the usual "stakes" ect. But... It's been done to death. If super heroes stand for larger things than self intrest, if a primary motivator is to act as a force for the greater good then it doesn't have to be personal EVERYTIME between them and the villain in these on screen adaptations. It got ridiculous in the Raimi's films with MJ, and with Pepper in the IM films. I hope those sort of things aren't driven into the ground with Superman and Adams' Lois in the new DCCU. It really should be a cliche that is used sparingly so that when the film makers DO go to that well it has greater resonance and impact.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #25
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Gwen Stacy was like that at first. Until he told her his secret

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote