The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Default Mark Gordon To Produce 'The Phantom'

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exc...o-the-phantom/

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Mark Gordon To Produce 'The Phantom'

Ooooh.

I liked the first Phantom so am looking forward to this.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Good news !

Okay, some time back.. didn't some studio announced that they were thinking of making a movie on Mandrake the magician ?

I want to them togerther in some movie.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Okay, some time back.. didn't some studio announced that they were thinking of making a movie on Mandrake the magician ?

1. It was Warner Brothers that wanted to give Mandrake the same update as Downey jr's Sherlock Holmes. Terrible idea! I want the magician to be elegant and classy, not dressed in filthy clothes or be doing fist fights.

2. They could both team up with Flash Gordon after solo films for all three of them

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post

2. They could both team up with Flash Gordon after solo films for all three of them
A Defenders of the Earth movie universe....?!

That would be fantastic.

I could genuinely see this working - at least a Defenders movie - as the characters are more proto-superheroes than superheroes, and all very different from each other.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Lord
All Mighty

They could also add in The Rocketeer and The Shadow, with Old Tonto as a guide. Impossible i know, but i like the idea

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

How will this project get any further than the Tim Boyle version that went nowhere?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
How will this project get any further than the Tim Boyle version that went nowhere?
I'm already very skeptical about pulpy projects, but what is the world made not, if not of dreams? Either way, i think the closest one to being possible in my opinion is Shane Black's Doc Savage.

How could i forget him? A dream Defenders of the Earth type of pulpy team up for me would be Flash Gordon, Mandrake, The Phantom, The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Rocketeer and an old Tonto as advisor. Not sure about The Spider, he wouldn't give much more to the team that Shadow doesn't already.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I'm already very skeptical about pulpy projects, but what is the world made not, if not of dreams? Either way, i think the closest one to being possible in my opinion is Shane Black's Doc Savage.

How could i forget him? A dream Defenders of the Earth type of pulpy team up for me would be Flash Gordon, Mandrake, The Phantom, The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Rocketeer and an old Tonto as advisor. Not sure about The Spider, he wouldn't give much more to the team that Shadow doesn't already.
..or this:

...anyway, it's always good to hear that a someone wants to do a new Phantom, but yeah, I think Shane Black's Doc Savage actually gets closer to fruition, will I truly get excited about Gordon's Phantom.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

I hope it happens this time.. and please, don't base it on Dynamite's Phantom

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
Airwings
Waves of air

Who should play Kit Walker and the father if they go with the "Legacy" plot?

Sam Worthington/Mel Gibson?
or
Logan Lerman/Gerard Butler?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Who should play Kit Walker and the father if they go with the "Legacy" plot?

Sam Worthington/Mel Gibson?
or
Logan Lerman/Gerard Butler?
I don't know, but I think Billy Zane should have a part in it. He could play the first Phantom or something like that (if they do flashbacks).

I also think they should use some material from both the American and the Scandinavian comics.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Words of advice, (purists need to check themselves) DROP THE BRIGHT PURPLE COSTUME!

I know sacrilege.

Look the original Phantom was a black and white strip, he was conceived as a gray costumed character, one of his original names was the Gray Ghost(yes that was why they had the homage in Batman Animated), point is he was Gray.
When it got picked up for the Sunday pages, the publisher asked Lee Falk to add a bright color, after Superman debuted and got popular.

But the original Phantom, the one that started it all, as Lee Falk saw him, he was gray.

You know what's going to happen if they don't change the purple, some designer is going to come along and realize oh this purple is to much, and want to completely reinvent the costume, add black trench-coat and hood, deck him out in insane armor just to cover him up.

There exists shades of gray with a hint of purple, just tone it down and you can pretty much keep the general look of the costume.

Oh and also lose the trunks.

Last edited by Mondragon; 08-30-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

I wouldn't mind a gray costume (I had the same idea last month. Psychic connection!). Like you said; that's what Lee Falk originally intended.

But I also like dark blue (The Phantom is blue in my country)!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Good news !

It's a Mandrake in-name-only movie called "Jax of Hearts", based on what I've read. Don't know if this is true, but:

Quote:
Jackson Mandrake lives life on the edge. Working as an underground magician and escapologist, his act has grown increasingly dangerous. Following a daring escape from an SUV that has been dropped out of an plane at the Burning Man Festival, he is coerced by the CIA into breaking a deep-cover agent named Xi Shing Lung out of a maximum security jail. Hypnosis, contortion, distraction and technical wizardry all come into play as Mandrake breaks the agent out from the inside within a 24-hour deadline.

But back on the outside, Mandrake learns that it was all a set-up. Xi is a CIA agent gone bad. He offers Mandrake the chance to join his crime ring. When Mandrake refuses, hes a marked man. He must escape his would-be-killers and also the real CIA who accuse him of being in league with Xi. His quest to clear his name leads him into all sorts of dangers, which he must overcome with daredevil escapes that require all his conjuring skills. And along the way, Mandrake is forced to confront his past and the girl he left behind.
Wow hey, let's make a Batman movie where he's a gentleman thief called Russ Bane the Cat-Man. One day, Russ Bane steals a diamond ring from the wrong house blablabla! Now he must blablabla, before the evil CIA agent Jack Napier blablabla-blabla...

Old 08-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Drz
Real Hero

I've always been curious about the Phantom, any recommended comics? I've heard these are the best classic stuffs: Jim Aparo run, Don Newton run.

It also gets confusing when you have so many different publishers, since Sweden today still continues to produce new stories and Dynamite Comics did 2 comics where Phantom appeared.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM   #17
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
I've always been curious about the Phantom, any recommended comics? I've heard these are the best classic stuffs: Jim Aparo run, Don Newton run.

It also gets confusing when you have so many different publishers, since Sweden today still continues to produce new stories and Dynamite Comics did 2 comics where Phantom appeared.
I think you should just start at the beginning, read some of the first newspaper strips like "The Singh Brotherhood". I haven't read much of the Aparo or Newton stories, but the few I've read were pretty good, so go ahead.

Hermes Press reprints a lot of The Phantom-stories by Gold Key, King and Charlton. And this October they're publishing a new, original series in six parts by Peter David and Sal Velluto.

Peter David also wrote a four-part miniseries for DC Comics, but I don't remember if it's good or not. It was followed by a very good series that lasted for 13 issues. Even though it's a darker version of The Phantom, I liked it. The Phantom fights racism, hunger, poaching etc.

And let's not forget Marvel's The Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks from 1995. It's a miniseries in three parts, about the 22 Phantom (the current Phantom's son). It's a more "high-tech" version of The Phantom. Like the DC series, it's a darker take (but not like today's comics).

I can't remember much of the Moonstone series...I've read five or six issues. Maybe I'll check out more of it later. Didn't like Dynamite's version, though.

Personally, I prefer the Scandinavian comics from 1970-1990, but I guess it's almost impossible to get your hands of those stories if you live outside of Sweden or Norway? Someone should reprint the stories by Lee Falk and Sy Barry too. Good stuff!

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #18
Airwings
Waves of air

I'm over exited about the chance for a new Phantom movie. Hope it will be good enough to match others in the genre. Actually, it HAS TO BE that great.

If the plot takes place in today's world, I guess the style should be a combination of Blood Diamond and Indiana Jones. Phantom himself should be part Captain America (Marvel Studios), part CW's Green Arrow. Kind of a bad ass boy scout, a noble vigilante who's also a tactician and extremely good in combat.

Someone like Darren Aronofsky would be great to helm the film, because he would focus on the darker themes in the hero. I can also imagine Danny Elfman to be the right composer for this.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #19
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Phantom himself should be part Captain America (Marvel Studios), part CW's Green Arrow. Kind of a bad ass boy scout, a noble vigilante who's also a tactician and extremely good in combat.
That's a good description of the Phantom

Not a big fan of Aronofsky, though. But as long as it's not Uwe Boll, I don't mind

Old Today, 04:58 AM   #20
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Just finished reading Marvel's The Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks. Haven't read it in many years, but it's still very good. If they changed a couple of things, it could have been a good movie...the suit doesn't look too bad, but I still prefer the classic version.