The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which is the better film?
Man Of Steel 94 49.21%
Avengers: Age Of Ultron 97 50.79%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12,086
Default Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Since we seem to be having all these vs threads. Let's take a look at these decisive films among the fan community and discuss strengths, weaknesses, script and wll everything. Let's keep it civil and no personal attacks. A good debate once in a while is healthy.

__________________
GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1)The Dark Knight 2) Captain America: Civil War 3) Captain America: The Winter Solider 4) Spider-Man 2 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22,374
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
For me, I find all eleven currently release MCU movies worth owning, but that may be because I merely like watching them all in release order whenever I feel like watching one. The only two MCU movies I am not very fond of are IM2 and TDW, but even they more enjoyable to watch than painful to me.
Well I agree they're watchable, but I find a lot of bad movies to be perfectly watchable. I can even enjoy some bad movies, and the MCU ones (namely the two you mentioned and TIH) certainly fall into that category. But at the end of the day, I still don't think they're good.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well I agree they're watchable, but I find a lot of bad movies to be perfectly watchable. I can even enjoy some bad movies, and the MCU ones (namely the two you mentioned and TIH) certainly fall into that category. But at the end of the day, I still don't think they're good.
Perfectly understandable.

__________________
Favorite Comic Book Movies

1. THE DARK KNIGHT | 2. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES | 3. BATMAN BEGINS | 4. SPIDER-MAN 2 | 5. MAN OF STEEL

6. V FOR VENDETTA | 7. BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM | 8. X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | 9. IRON MAN | 10. KICK-ASS
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67,192
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

If I'm not mistaken, no one can vote in this poll anymore now that it's continued to a new thread?

__________________
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 8,769
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
If I'm not mistaken, no one can vote in this poll anymore now that it's continued to a new thread?
I believe that is true.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Morg
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Morg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hades
Posts: 60,866
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

should be able to vote now

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law
 
Naked Shia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shia Labeouf's beard
Posts: 10,038
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I prefer Aou over TA, because as a whole, the stakes feel more real, but it still lacks a real sense of threat imo.

People can say what they want about MoS, but the stakes are really high, and there is a sense of threat, you know people are dying, it feels real in that regard. People criticize the movie because of this, but it makes the final act stronger than both AoU and TA final act to me.

__________________
watch my new video


my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,299
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Shia View Post
I prefer Aou over TA, because as a whole, the stakes feel more real, but it still lacks a real sense of threat imo.

People can say what they want about MoS, but the stakes are really high, and there is a sense of threat, you know people are dying, it feels real in that regard. People criticize the movie because of this, but it makes the final act stronger than both AoU and TA final act to me.
Agreed. I suppose that the stakes are similar in AoU (human extinction) but for some reason IMO it doesn't feel quite as threatening as Zod's plan - possibly because Zod is much more monomaniacal than Ultron, whose actual motivations and plan weren't completely clear. With Zod there was no ambiguity at all.

I actually approved of all the destruction and casualties because it was a pretty accurate representation of what would happen if Superman got into a fight in a populated area -which wasn't his choice. I thought it was ballsy, rather than just Michael Bay-esque destruction for destruction's sake. But that's just me.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
Rowsdower!
Here to set you free
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westworld
Posts: 25,905
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Agreed. I suppose that the stakes are similar in AoU (human extinction) but for some reason IMO it doesn't feel quite as threatening as Zod's plan - possibly because Zod is much more monomaniacal than Ultron, whose actual motivations and plan weren't completely clear. With Zod there was no ambiguity at all.

I actually approved of all the destruction and casualties because it was a pretty accurate representation of what would happen if Superman got into a fight in a populated area -which wasn't his choice. I thought it was ballsy, rather than just Michael Bay-esque destruction for destruction's sake. But that's just me.
Careful... You're just inviting a certain poster to come in here and remind us all that it's mathematically impossible to like MOS and dislike the Transformers movies.

__________________
Michael Shannon for the Man in the Yellow Hat

Taldon Egereich for Grayson Todd

McG should direct the Weekend at Bernie's remake
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,299
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Careful... You're just inviting a certain poster to come in here and remind us all that it's mathematically impossible to like MOS and dislike the Transformers movies.
You've lost me there dude.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 8,696
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I wonder which film will be the first to get a versus thread with ant man.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
psylockolussus
Mutated User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Haven (weekdays), New Attilan (weekends)
Posts: 27,613
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I wonder which film will be the first to get a versus thread with ant man.
Maybe Thor: The Dark World.

__________________
SUMMER 2016 MOVIES RANKING! Best to worst
Finding Dory, The Conjuring 2, Captain America: Civil War, Star Trek Beyond, Don't Breathe, Ghostbusters, Jason Bourne, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Legend of Tarzan, The Angry Birds Movie, Suicide Squad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Ice Age: Collision Course, Independence Day: Resurgence, Warcraft.
www.twitter.com/xmenmoviesandtv
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67,192
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I wonder which film will be the first to get a versus thread with ant man.
Depends if you're going with quality, style or proximity to other comic book movies.

The probably easiest one would be Ant-Man vs. Fantastic Four.

Ant-Man seems to be getting decent reviews. IGN 8.7, Coming Soon 7.0. Positive Reviews from the Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

It appears that as of right now that it might be a good not necessarily great movie so maybe somewhere between CA: TFA, Thor and IM3.

__________________

Last edited by Erzengel; 07-09-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #15
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law
 
Naked Shia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shia Labeouf's beard
Posts: 10,038
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Thor ain't a good but not necessarily great movie. It's crap.

__________________
watch my new video


my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67,192
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I guess I reserve the word crap for movies like GL, B&R, X:WO, etc.

Not for a movie that is like 77% on RT.

__________________
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #17
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law
 
Naked Shia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shia Labeouf's beard
Posts: 10,038
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I don't use Rt as a reference to know if a movie is crap to me. I just judge it myself.
I was bored to hell by Thor, and there wasn't anything interesting in it imo.

Green Lantern is a historical failure, so at least, it's memorable. Batman and Robin is a ton of fun, and it's never boring.

Even X:WO is never as boring as Thor.

None of those movies are good. But none of them is boring the way Thor is.

Also, Batman and Robin, as flawed as it is, is full of visuals ideas and it has an identity. You canw atch it with friends and be entertained. wether, when I watched Thor 2 with my best friend, he asked me what did he do to deserve this kind of punishment. (Thor 2 is even worse than Thor 1. Let's hope the character finally gets his due with Thor 3).

__________________
watch my new video


my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #18
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67,192
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Everyone has their own tastes and opinions and that's fine but in terms of general consensus, Thor is considered good and the others are not.

__________________
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law
 
Naked Shia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shia Labeouf's beard
Posts: 10,038
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

And yet, the general consensus can't dictate one's taste. does the general consensus matter that much really?

__________________
watch my new video


my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 67,192
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

People love/hate movies that are critically praised or panned.

But arguing quality of a film on a messageboard, yeah it somewhat does.

__________________
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
Naked Shia
Nikkid's law
 
Naked Shia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Shia Labeouf's beard
Posts: 10,038
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
People love/hate movies that are critically praised or panned.

But arguing quality of a film on a messageboard, yeah it somewhat does.
I understand your point, even though that's not my line of thinking.

I don't care about what critics think of a movie, really. It has no bearing on my opinion. I do think some people pretend they don't care but judge accordingly though.

__________________
watch my new video


my videos thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=516339
Naked Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #22
Keehar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
People love/hate movies that are critically praised or panned.

But arguing quality of a film on a messageboard, yeah it somewhat does.
Yep. If you're part of the best then you're bigger target for hate.

You should read the stuff the Bat folk are saying about Avengers in the batman 89 thread. Holy moly.

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #23
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 10,194
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Shia View Post
I don't use Rt as a reference to know if a movie is crap to me. I just judge it myself.
I was bored to hell by Thor, and there wasn't anything interesting in it imo.

Green Lantern is a historical failure, so at least, it's memorable. Batman and Robin is a ton of fun, and it's never boring.

Even X:WO is never as boring as Thor.

None of those movies are good. But none of them is boring the way Thor is.

Also, Batman and Robin, as flawed as it is, is full of visuals ideas and it has an identity. You canw atch it with friends and be entertained. wether, when I watched Thor 2 with my best friend, he asked me what did he do to deserve this kind of punishment. (Thor 2 is even worse than Thor 1. Let's hope the character finally gets his due with Thor 3).

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but it's surely a minority opinion.

__________________
"You have a metal arm? That's awesome dude!"
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
Rowsdower!
Here to set you free
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westworld
Posts: 25,905
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I liked the first Thor but the second one was a waste of time. I hope the third is better. This may be a minority opinion, but I think MOS and AOU were better than both of them.

__________________
Michael Shannon for the Man in the Yellow Hat

Taldon Egereich for Grayson Todd

McG should direct the Weekend at Bernie's remake
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #25
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 14 N Moore St
Posts: 7,035
Default Re: Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Part 1

I put Thor on a similar (just slightly higher) level to MoS
thought Goldilocks' first outing had more charm and a million times better villain than the somber affair that is Man of Steel
MoS just gets points for visual flair

but
Thor> TDW
MoS> TDW
Thor> MoS
AoU> Thor, MoS, and Thor:TDW

...and then TDK, Avengers, and Cap:TWS beat them all to a bloody pulp

__________________
WB- .348 FOX- .364 SONY- .429 MARVEL- .769

Last edited by BoredGuy; 07-09-2015 at 03:46 PM.
BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.