The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: 2012: The Battle of the Superheroes. Who Will Win?!
The Avengers (May 4) 26 28.26%
Spider-Man Reboot (July 3) 6 6.52%
Third Nolan Batman (July 20) 60 65.22%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #126
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Naw, Nolan just isn't there, and most of the ones CConn just listed aren't at the Spielberg/Tarantino/Scorsese/Lucas/Kubrick/Cameron and probably Spike Lee and Clint Eastwood (maybe Scott) level. People give a sh** about those people even when they aren't doing a movie. People read their quotes on film and think they have to be right just because they said.

Nolan is like Bob Kane, known name, but his creation(s) are still way bigger than he is. Most of my friends wouldn't know what I was talking about if I just said Christopher Nolan. I'd have to tell them what he did. Same with Michael Bay.

I wanted to do Michael Bay for Halloween and I still haven't because no one would get it.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #127
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Naw, Nolan just isn't there, and most of the ones CConn just listed aren't at the Spielberg/Tarantino/Scorsese/Lucas/Kubrick/Cameron and probably Spike Lee and Clint Eastwood (maybe Scott) level.
Firstly, I listed half of the people you've just mentioned.

Secondly, you're just nitpicking now. You could argue the relative importance or directors all day long; even the dudes in your list have differing degrees of popularity. The simple point is; Nolan is among the upper echelon of directors either way.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #128
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,100
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

TDKR will make the most money. Avengers will make slightly less, and TASM won't make nearly as much as either.

That said...the amount of money a movie makes isn't necessarily a good indicator of quality. I think, quality wise, the order will go TDKR, TASM, Avengers.

The Boy Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #129
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Hm. I agree with you entirely.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #130
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!
 
Call Me Darkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Everywhere. Nowhere.
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

To me, Avengers looks better than the Spidey reboot. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

__________________
The Pink Elephant
Call Me Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #131
lixdexia
Blood Angels
 
lixdexia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 27,950
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

to me the avengers looks the best period. i think tdkr is going to get too wrapped up in itself and tasm is just going to be not really interesting at all

__________________
INTENSITY
INTEGRITY
INTELLIGENCE

dictated, not read.
lixdexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #132
StarLord
Tech Noir.
 
StarLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,244
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

The Dark Knight Rises.

Batman will wipe the floor with the other two.

Although, I do think TASM looks a little less 'cartoony' than The Avengers does.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #133
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Why is cartoony a bad thing? It's a superhero movie. It should be pure escapism. It looks like an Avengers comic come to life.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #134
Drizzle
Assemble Again
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 10,404
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

I think this summer is Batman's to lose. TDKR is going to obliterate everything in its path. However, I think that the others will be massive hits on their own. Avengers has the advantage by being released a full two months before the other two. I don't think ASM will be as big a hit as the previous 3 Spidey films, but it will still be a box office monster because: 1. It's Spider-Man, 2. It's being released 4th of July weekend, and 3. It's Spider-Man.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #135
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Why is cartoony a bad thing? It's a superhero movie. It should be pure escapism. It looks like an Avengers comic come to life.
It depends on what kind of cartoony it is, if it's intentional, and if it's executed appropriately.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #136
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick
 
GREEN =w= DAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tijuana/San Diego
Posts: 5,574
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

like always, Batman will come out on top

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #137
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Why is cartoony a bad thing?
Because it's a movie.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #138
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

There's cartoon movies.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #139
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,383
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

I don't see why TASM is being sold short. Spider-Man 3 proved that the character can draw huge even with a lackluster iteration. Unless we end up with either a GL or a Hulk/Superman Returns, I expect TASM to do quite well.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #140
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
I don't see why TASM is being sold short. Spider-Man 3 proved that the character can draw huge even with a lackluster iteration. Unless we end up with either a GL or a Hulk/Superman Returns, I expect TASM to do quite well.
I keep wondering about how much Spider-Man the character will influence the BO. He certainly proved profitable in his first three outings, had a record breaking first film. It looks pretty good although it's my third favorite superhero trailer thus far.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #141
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Because it's a movie.
And movies have to be deadly serious and have boring looking, dull colour palettes?

I wouldn't say Avengers looks cartoony at all. What it looks like is a superhero comic book ripped from the page and thrown onto the screen, which is awesome. And if people have a problem with it, they shouldn't be fans of the superhero genre.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #142
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,924
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Wanting something that isn't ripped from the comics somehow means that person shouldn't call him/herself a superhero fan?

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #143
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

No, someone who thinks superhero imagery and iconography is cheesy and cartoony shouldn't call him/herself a superhero fan.

Images like the tracking shot of the Avengers standing together, of Thor landing on the jet, of Iron Man flying up into the sky to fight multiple enemies, that's pure superhero imagery. Those kinds of visuals and iconography is part of what makes the superhero genre what it is.

Saying you don't want that kind of imagery in superhero movie, yet calling yourself a superhero fan, is a paradox.

Maybe the Avengers should be adapted into a high tech special forces unit in a grim and gritty world where Loki isn't a God leading an army of aliens to take over the Earth, but an insane dictator of a third world country who wants to create a child army and plunder oil reserves. I mean, that's relevant to real world issues right? Has a strong possibility for social and political commentary?

Yea, I think that's what they should have done.


Last edited by The Morningstar; 02-15-2012 at 02:06 AM.
The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #144
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman
 
munchie64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,288
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Should superhero even be considered a 'genre'?

__________________
In 2005 the night began. In 2008 the night was at its darkest. In 2012 the dawn will rise.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #145
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Yes, very much so. Why not?

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #146
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,924
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
No, someone who thinks superhero imagery and iconography is cheesy and cartoony shouldn't call him/herself a superhero fan.

Images like the tracking shot of the Avengers standing together, of Thor landing on the jet, of Iron Man flying up into the sky to fight multiple enemies, that's pure superhero imagery. Those kinds of visuals and iconography is part of what makes the superhero genre what it is.

Saying you don't want that kind of imagery in superhero movie, yet calling yourself a superhero fan, is a paradox.

Maybe the Avengers should be adapted into a high tech special forces unit in a grim and gritty world where Loki isn't a God leading an army of aliens to take over the Earth, but an insane dictator of a third world country who wants to create a child army and plunder oil reserves. I mean, that's relevant to real world issues right? Has a strong possibility for social and political commentary?

Yea, I think that's what they should have done.
Well maybe to some people some films/characters/trailers do look to cheesy and cartoony, who are any of us to tell someone how a superhero should look to them in 3 dimensions? And who are any of us to say that person isn't a superhero fan simply because it doesn't fit with a particular view?

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #147
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
And movies have to be deadly serious and have boring looking, dull colour palettes?
No, in time you'll get that there are tons of middleground between cartoony and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I wouldn't say Avengers looks cartoony at all. What it looks like is a superhero comic book ripped from the page and thrown onto the screen, which is awesome.
If that were the case, I'd stick with the original comic page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
And if people have a problem with it, they shouldn't be fans of the superhero genre.
Or they could be entitled to demand a good movie, not just visual resemblance.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #148
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman
 
munchie64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,288
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Yes, very much so. Why not?
Well superhero films can be any genre they want to be. Drama, comedy, adventure, sci-fi etc. I don't think you can expect a superhero film to be any one thing, while, just for example, you expect a comedy to be funny.

Although there are a lot of different definitions for "genre" so fair enough if you think it is.

__________________
In 2005 the night began. In 2008 the night was at its darkest. In 2012 the dawn will rise.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #149
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Well maybe to some people some films/characters/trailers do look to cheesy and cartoony, who are any of us to tell someone how a superhero should look to them in 3 dimensions? And who are any of us to say that person isn't a superhero fan simply because it doesn't fit with a particular view?
Because superheroes, I not sure quite how to put this, but high level, out of this world superheroes, like your Avengers and your JLAs, should have a distinctive look about them. They should be packed full of iconography.

My point is, I don't quite understand how someone can be a fan of that type of superhero stories/characters, but find it cheesy, in a negative way, when it's done on film.

How can a fan of the Avengers or the JLA, that level of the superhero genre, find that tracking shot of the Avengers standing together cheesy or cartoony in a negative way? It's mind boggling to me. A shot like that is what superhero comics are all about. It's fantasy, it's escapism, it's modern day mythology.

If you're not a fan of that type of superhero style, then fair enough. But if you do claim to be, but still don't like a shot like that, then yea, I question whether the superhero thing is your... thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
No, in time you'll get that there are tons of middleground between cartoony and boring.
I do get it. I was being facetious.


Quote:
If that were the case, I'd stick with the original comic page.
Why? To see static images with exposition heavy dialogue explaining what is going on?

Of course the comics and their imagery are still awesome. But it's nice to see them in motion, in live action, on the big screen.

I mean what, is a shot of Superman flying to the sun too cheesy for live action? A shot of Flash running across the Atlantic ocean? Wonder Woman deflecting bullets with her bracers? A shot of Batman crouching on a gargoyle whilst the Bat signal flashes in the rain swept night sky?

It's all superhero iconography that is inherently important to the genre, and I for one, am happy that Marvel are not shying away or acting ashamed of their superhero, escapist, pulp roots.

Like I said, if people find that stuff cheesy, then the superhero genre can't really be their thing.

Quote:
Or they could be entitled to demand a good movie, not just visual resemblance.
I always demand a good movie. What is a key factor in a movie being a good movie is great visuals. A key factor for a great superhero movie, for me, is stunning, iconic, "superhero" imagery.

And what also needs to be mentioned... it's people criticising a one minute Super Bowl spot. A Super Bowl spot is never going to be more than money shots and stunning imagery. It'd be a complete waste of time doing a 2-3 minute story driven trailer for an audience that is more than likely drunk and partying during the Super Bowls half time.


Last edited by The Morningstar; 02-15-2012 at 06:01 AM.
The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #150
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Batman vs Spider-Man vs The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie64 View Post
Well superhero films can be any genre they want to be. Drama, comedy, adventure, sci-fi etc. I don't think you can expect a superhero film to be any one thing, while, just for example, you expect a comedy to be funny.

Although there are a lot of different definitions for "genre" so fair enough if you think it is.
Fair points. But what i mean is this high level of the superhero genre. What i'd put Avengers and JLA into.

Same as with the comics. Your Avengers or JLA comics ain't really the same as your Spider-Man and Batman comics. It's a different level. It's more "out there" and large scale, for lack of a better term.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.