Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #52
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn offered X-Men: First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Knaves View Post
Go, go watch it now!

Don't if you are easily offended though
Yeah, it's the best movie I've seen this year, but contains a great deal of violence and cursing from an 11 year old girl...so depending on if, as Ace stated, you are easily offended, then you may not like it. But if you can look past that, it's one kick ass movie...yes, I went there. lol.

Downhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #53
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly19 View Post
Vaughn is back in (for the time being)...
I wouldn't put a dime on it. Maybe Vaughn is short on cash and he's thinking about his long term prospects. Ultimately, if he takes it, it will be for the money and NOT creative freedom. Fox won't think twice about keeping a tight reign on him after Star Dust and Kick-Ass fell well short of the BO hopes they had.

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 05-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #54
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

someone lock in vaughn before he goes again

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #55
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
I wouldn't put a dime on it. Maybe Vaughn is short on cash and he's thinking about his long term prospects. Ultimately, if he takes it, it will be for the money and NOT creative freedom. Fox won't think twice about keeping a tight reign on him after Star Dust and Kick-Ass fell well short of the BO hopes they had.
An X-Men movie will make at least half decent money whether it is crap or not.

It will make great money if it is a great film with great WOM. Which is only possible if Vaughn gets to make the movie he wants to make.

Star Dust and Kick Ass are not in the same league as X-Men, in terms of how known they are.

And i don't see how Kick Ass fell well short of the BO hopes it had. It was always going to be a cult movie. The whole concept of Kick Ass has cult written all over it. Anyone who expected it to make big money is an idiot. And besides, Star Dust had great DVD/Blu Ray sales and Kick Ass will inevitibly have great DVD/Blu Ray sales.

Vaughn doesn't have to worry about money... he is already a multi millionaire. The guy has proven himself to be a top class director. He will get more jobs outside of comic book films. So i don't see why he would sacrifice his principles and go with Fox if he won't get to make the film he wants to make.

Last edited by Ace of Knaves; 05-04-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #56
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I hope Vaughn did pass. I honestly think the X-Men franchise is burning out. X3 and Wolverine sucked. Most people know this. An X-Men film without Wolverine, I suspect will do poorly at the box office and after Layer Cake, Stardust and Kick-Ass (all great movies), I'd love to see Vaughn succeed in a big way. An X-Men film without Wolverine after 4 films (and the last two being universally accepted as bad movies) is just asking for a box office failure.

But if anyone will risk it, go with Timur Bekmambetov. He is all style and lite on substance, but that plays to Fox's strengths and Tom Rothman's pressure. And Timur Bekmambetov is sharp enough to make something viscerally interesting beyond the old Hollywood clichés he may be hamstrung with. I mean it worked on Wanted very well.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #57
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I hope Vaughn did pass. I honestly think the X-Men franchise is burning out.
If there's anyone who can bring energy to a franchise its Vaughn.

Quote:
An X-Men film without Wolverine after 4 films (and the last two being universally accepted as bad movies) is just asking for a box office failure.
Not necessarily. Wolverine made less money at the box office than X-Men 2 and 3, and that was after Fox put Cyclops, Gambit, Emma Frost etc. in the film and in all the marketing materials. They even managed to get 'X-Men' in the title.

People see these films because they want to see an X-Men movie. If the trailer for X-Men: First Class looks good people will see it whether Wolverine is there or not.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #58
TNC9852002
Banned User

I haven't seen Kick-Ass, but if this is true, then I have TOTAL faith in it.

I think Matthew Vaughn is the guy that can get the X-Men movie franchise back on its feet.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #59
JP
Smelly

Yeah, that's ridiculous. That's like saying no one will see [insert big-budget blockbuster film here] because Wolverine isn't in it.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #60
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

It's official.

Quote:
BRYAN SINGER AND MATTHEW VAUGHN UNITE FOR X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Twentieth Century Fox will release film on June 3, 2011

LOS ANGELES (May 4, 2010) __ "Kick-Ass" director Matthew Vaughn will helm X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, a new chapter in Twentieth Century Fox's blockbuster series of films based on the Marvel Comics.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS begins production this summer for a June 3, 2011 release. Bryan Singer, who conceived the story for FIRST CLASS and directed the original "X-Men" and its sequel "X2," is producing along with Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg.

"I've been a fan of Matthew's since LAYER CAKE," said Singer. "He has a deft hand with multiple characters and storylines, and a great love of the X-Men universe. I feel the combination of this story and his vision will make for an exciting and original X-Men film."

Added Twentieth Century Fox president of production, Emma Watts: “X-Men: First Class presents an exciting opportunity to further explore the history and relationships of these beloved characters. Matthew's combination of talent, verve and vision is perfectly suited to the task.”

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, following the classic Marvel mythology, charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga. Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/fox-...ss/#more-38098

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #61
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I definitely disagree with the notion that we should all just throw our hands up and walk away from the X-Men series. The last two movies were successful at the box office even if they weren't among critics and a lot of fans, and I think getting a good director to take the reigns again is exactly what the series needs to get back on track, whether it's a sequel, a spinoff, or a reboot.

And I think an X-Men movie can survive just fine without Wolverine - he's getting his own sequel and now's the best time start a series without him.

I would think a good director who's a fan of the series should have the opportunity to make a good X-Men movie if he/she gets the chance to do it. If Vaughn is being offered the chance to do that, I say he should go for it.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #62
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly19 View Post
It's official.
Sweet!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #63
Chewy
REDACTED

13 months, eh?

I can't see this turning out well

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #64
Crook
Banned User

Matthew:
Release date:

They take one step forward, and two steps back. I don't get it. He's a fantastic director, but it won't matter if he doesn't have the time to make it 'his'. I'm surprised he even agreed to it, as he's been waiting for a shot at a big comic book film and they barely give him a year to work it out.

They don't even have a cast! This is ridiculous.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #65
TNC9852002
Banned User

13 months for what?

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #66
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

Terrific. Absolutely terrific. Singer producing and Vaughn directing this film is brilliant. This is the happiest I've been for X-Men since X2 came out.

4. The Raid 2
5. Grand Budapest Hotel
The Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #67
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Matthew:
Release date:

They take one step forward, and two steps back. I don't get it. He's a fantastic director, but it won't matter if he doesn't have the time to make it 'his'. I'm surprised he even agreed to it, as he's been waiting for a shot at a big comic book film and they barely give him a year to work it out.

They don't even have a cast! This is ridiculous.
Oh wow, I didn't even noticed the release date info.

This is pretty unique. I think Brett Ratner had about the same time and even at that point, at least 80% of the cast was locked in and sets were already in production..

Grrrr!! The SHH forums!

Last edited by TNC9852002; 05-04-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #68
Chewy
REDACTED

The fact that they are going to rush this out in 13 months indicates where the film's quality ranks in their minds

They just wanted a 2011 tentpole

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #69
JP
Smelly

Singer Producing = ZOMGWQVIJQWDBCIDWBC
Vaughn directing = HOLY****AWESOME!!!

13 months =

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #70
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The fact that they are going to rush this out in 13 months indicates where the film's quality ranks in their minds

They just wanted a 2011 tentpole
I tend to always play devil's advocate around here, but I still question the impact a short/average/long production time actually has on the final quality of a movie.

I would think that there would be quite a large number of direct and indirect variables that would also have to be included as well as quality indicators...

Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #71
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

I doubt this is going to FX heavy. Hollywood is tightening its belt. This will probably be somewhere in-between X1 and X2. They can probably get it done.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #72
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Yes!!! Thks Ben, although the release date seems too soon & summer 2011 already seems packed.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #73
J.Howlett

Well, the question is how far along is the script. If it's in its third or fourth draft, Vaughn could pull this off in 13th months...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #74
Electrix
Side-Kick

If I were Fox it'd have probably released X-Men: First Class later on in the year after all the bigger films were out of the way, but 13 months is doable.

They already have a script. Vaughn may do some re-writes in-between now and late summer. They've got around 3 months of prep if it hasn't started already, and if its a 4-5 months shoot they'll be in post production by the beginning of 2011.

They'll just have to film the FX heavy scenes first. Vaughn is a capable director though. He bailed on X3 because of Fox's rushed production plans. He wouldn't have signed for First Class if he knew he wouldn't be able to make it.

I have faith in Vaughn/Singer!

Last edited by Electrix; 05-04-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #75
Octoberist
point blank

I'm wondering if they can figure in Gambit into the picture, since he was there when 'Plastic face' Xavier picked up the kids in Wolverine..