The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #101
Superhero 101
DESI

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn offered X-Men: First Class

Wow i didn't expect it to release in 2011 that's Next Year..... SWEET!! THOR CAPTAIN AMERICA GREEN LANTERN TRANSFORMERS AND NOW X-MEN!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #102
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhere View Post
This is fantastic news with Vaughn at the helm, I just hope he doesn't bail a few weeks before filming and we got Ratner back...yikes! lol. But, honestly, this is good news and even with the somewhat short production schedule, I'm finally really looking forward to an X-Men film again. Sweet.
Me too! Of course...being Fox, this 'excited with reservations', but let's hope all goes well. Looking forward to another X-movie!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #103
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Vaugn is great, but I am quite afraid this movie will be rushed...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #104
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
Well, Fox may be guilty of rather...egregiously interfering in a lot of things during the last few years (particularly in relation to its genre productions), but I can confirm that -- as of right now, at least -- the script is not an issue. It's a story by Singer and Jamie Moss, and it's been given a once-over (already reported), some tightening up, by two dudes who did the same for Thor.

...And as you can see with the casting note, Singer is remaining as heavily involved as he can. It doesn't seem like we're just going to see a pick-and-drop of the cast of youngin's from Wolverine (despite a couple of actors' thoughts to the contrary, note that was before Singer got involved in the whole shebang).

Now what happens between this June and next June, well, we'll have to wait and see...

I'm glad Singer is involved with casting. For the most part, I've been very happy with his casting decisions in the past, regardless of how the characters were later treated in the films.

I'm also curious to know if this notion that First Class is going to be a "J.J. Abrams 'Star-Trek'-style reboot of the X-franchise" is something that's actually being discussed within the studio or if this is just something people are assuming.

Last edited by BMM; 05-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #105
JP
Flame On

Coming Soons article mentions that the people who wrote the Thor script are doing rewrites.

The news just keeps getting better and better.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #106
the a1ant
Awesome

Looks like the three year rule has been broken! They can make their date, but I wish things weren't done last minute. Hopefully the script is solid!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #107
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm wondering if they can figure in Gambit into the picture, since he was there when 'Plastic face' Xavier picked up the kids in Wolverine..
Hmmmm...

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #108
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yeah, that's ridiculous. That's like saying no one will see [insert big-budget blockbuster film here] because Wolverine isn't in it.
When people think of X-Men they think of Wolverine and/or Hugh Jackman. Whe n you ask non-fans (the majority of viewers) to name X-Men characters you'll get Wolverine and maybe Magneto, if you're lucky.

That is why Wolverine was the main character of all three X-Men films and got a spin-off. He is very popular with the mainstream. You say a movie starring Cyclops, you'll get blank stares. If the trailer is amazing, I could be wrong. But X-Men's brand name appeal comes from Wolverine mostly. When people know the character, they're more likely to see the movie.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #109
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
When people think of X-Men they think of Wolverine and/or Hugh Jackman. Whe n you ask non-fans (the majority of viewers) to name X-Men characters you'll get Wolverine and maybe Magneto, if you're lucky.

That is why Wolverine was the main character of all three X-Men films and got a spin-off. He is very popular with the mainstream. You say a movie starring Cyclops, you'll get blank stares. If the trailer is amazing, I could be wrong. But X-Men's brand name appeal comes from Wolverine mostly. When people know the character, they're more likely to see the movie.
I believe that Wolverine's popularity is generally overstated, but...we shall see..

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #110
Captain America
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Wow i didn't expect it to release in 2011 that's Next Year..... SWEET!! THOR CAPTAIN AMERICA GREEN LANTERN TRANSFORMERS AND NOW X-MEN!!!!!!!
Geez This'll be AWESOME!!

Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #111
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
13 months, eh?

I can't see this turning out well
This is my current position. It's way too rushed to be of any quality. You can bet the special effects will with craptastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm wondering if they can figure in Gambit into the picture, since he was there when 'Plastic face' Xavier picked up the kids in Wolverine..
If they bother, it won't be Taylor. He's too busy with John Carter from Mars and has another film locked in after that. I'd rather see them leave Gambit out and have him pop in the next Wolverine movie as a cameo or something like that...

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #112
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

The fact that the release date is so close scares me. I don't want this to be a rush-job. I hope Fox lets Vaughn do his thing with this movie. Hopefully, Rothman's too busy with the TV division.

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #113
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
This is my current position. It's way too rushed to be of any quality. You can bet the special effects will with craptastic.
I don't think we have anything to worry about as far as effects go, X3 was shot in a short time and I thought the effects work was fine. Then you have a movie like Wolverine which had a longer production schedule and we got crappy effects...so, as long as they go with better established FX companies, then the effects should be fine. Plus, Vaughn's past films have had great effects work for having smaller budgets.

Downhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #114
Captain America
Banned User

Quote:
This is my current position. It's way too rushed to be of any quality. You can bet the special effects will with craptastic. .
Well That depends - Over all the X-Men films don't have all that much CGI in em', they have a good deal, but compared to most other comic book films, they have a good deal less - And my guess is that First Class will be toned down a bit in the sense of huge action scenes, seeing as how this is the beginning of the X-Men. So hopefully this means the 13 months won't be a problem

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #115
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhere View Post
I don't think we have anything to worry about as far as effects go, X3 was shot in a short time and I thought the effects work was fine. Then you have a movie like Wolverine which had a longer production schedule and we got crappy effects...so, as long as they go with better established FX companies, then the effects should be fine. Plus, Vaughn's past films have had great effects work for having smaller budgets.
What makes FX suck? Money or time? I suspect time, which will be short here. I'd much rather see Fox delay this and do it up right. Why does it have to be next year? To compete with Marvel studio's offerings? If so they are likely to lose.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #116
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
Well That depends - Over all the X-Men films don't have all that much CGI in em', they have a good deal, but compared to most other comic book films, they have a good deal less - And my guess is that First Class will be toned down a bit in the sense of huge action scenes, seeing as how this is the beginning of the X-Men. So hopefully this means the 13 months won't be a problem
I imagine the big consumers of FX time were Wolverine and Mystique who most likely are not going to be in this. But still, I'd like to see something impressive at least, from somebody.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #117
JP
Flame On

Agree with Downhere, X3 has some stellar FX, Wolverine, some of the worst I've seen. But, since this is being done in such a short time, perhaps it will force Fox to hire a stellar FX company, rather than a smaller one.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #118
zeptron
Side-Kick

Why do I have the feeling this is gonna be X-men 3 all over again?

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #119
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Why does it have to be next year?
Fox needs a summer 2011 tentpole. Simple as that. They were going to fast-track something and rush it through production for that very reason, and it just happened to end up being this

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #120
Ipodman
Love Tension

Im extremely excited for this movie.... its back to prof X vs Magneto!!!

And the director of Kick Ass? Get out! Thats awsome

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #121
Captain America
Banned User

delete

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #122
Captain America
Banned User

Quote:
I imagine the big consumers of FX time were Wolverine and Mystique who most likely are not going to be in this. But still, I'd like to see something impressive at least, from somebody.
Oh of course - We still have plenty of characters that can wow us same as one's like nightcrawler and beast did - characters such as Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch (both of which would tie in nicely to the Magneto movie, if we get one) Mimic, Banshee, Sunfire and Thunderbird - Any of which could be awesome, even if they only used one

Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #123
TNC9852002
Banned User

Yeah, I'm thinking that SFX/VFX quality is based primarily on money and not time, but, you definitely need a good combination of both.

Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #124
Captain America
Banned User

Agreed

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #125
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Coming Soons article mentions that the people who wrote the Thor script are doing rewrites.

The news just keeps getting better and better.
**** Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote