The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #26
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ironman 2 Best Picture Oscar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
The Blind Side was amazing though, imo.

Either that, or I'm being biased because I'm a Ravens fan and I think Sandra Bullock is hot, haha.
The Blind Side was formulaic as hell. So yes, it's option B for you.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #27
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Can it really be called formulaic when it was true? Lol.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Quote:
It would have to be better than The Dark Knight to do such. And it wasn't.
I'm not sure about that. I agreed with Roger Ebert when he was calling for Spider-Man 2 to get nominated back in 2004.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #29
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can it really be called formulaic when it was true? Lol.
There have been hundreds of movies based on true stories that were still formulaic.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #30
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Well it's not their faults if their true stories are generic, haha.

A football player can't have a life as amazing as Donnie Darko, lol.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
weezerspider
Side-Kick

The 10 movies that got nominated last year had one thing in common.....Great Reviews. IM2 looks on track to have positive reviews, but not great. Just because its 10 movies now, doesn't mean their going to pick every single huge blockbuster. If that were the case, TF2 would have gotten nominated. IM2 is getting solid reviews, but its not getting any kinda oscar reviews.

Oh and Kick-Ass's extremely cheesy plot doesn't hurt the movie because its suppose to be just that, extremely cheesy. There is not a single part in Kick-Ass you are suppose to take seriously. It balances real superhero movies with parody and perfects it.

Oh and also District 9 was freaking incredible. My number 3 movie behind Hurt Locker and Basterds.

EDIT: Also, with the 10 nominations I do think we will get a superhero movie nominated in the near future, but from the looks of the reviews, its not IM2. If there were 10 nominations in 08 I Guarantee TDK makes it and I bet IM does also. It will happen...just not for IM2.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #32
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post

If there were 10 nominations in 08 I Guarantee TDK makes it and I bet IM does also. It will happen...just not for IM2.

I agree. The 10 nominee thing was created precisely because of backlash to the perceived snubs in 2008, not just of TDK/IM1 but Wall-E as well. Sure enough, Pixar got in the next year with Up once the nominees were expanded to 10. But the product has to be top notch. Up was top notch. It sounds like IM2 is "fun but more of the same" rather than a truly groundbreaking genre film.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #33
night0205
Side-Kick

Iron Man 2 isn't going to get an Oscar nod. That's the way it is. Unless there are no good movies this year... which i possible...

And stop mentioning Kick Ass, that's not getting a nod for anything. Not even in the golden globes... The movie wasn't that great.

night0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #34
Superhero 101
DESI

Only thing Iron Man can win a award is for CGI

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #35
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

"Best Sound editing"

is what it will get. No way in hell it will touch the top tier Oscars

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #36
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

If The Dark Knight didn't get nominated, nothing will.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #37
night0205
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight had EVERYTHING going for it to win Best Picture. It was really an AMAZING movie. Critics adored it. Fans went NUTS over it. The general audience just couldn't stop going back and watching it. It was the first threat in a LONG time on Titanic. The Story, Acting, Visuals, Music, Sound, Editing, everything was done superbly. And it had a big impact on our culture. Every movie made is related to it, not saying I like it, but the fact that it is, says something. And yet... It wasn't even nominated...?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #38
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Anything is possible, especially with Robert Downey, Jr, in the lead, he may get a best actor nom for IM2 and again IM2 might get one, the film has a talented cast, so like I said anything can happen, never rule it out.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #39
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Sorry, if TDK didn't get a oscar nod, no way IM2 is going to.

Besides the oscars suck, so I don't really care.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #40
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
How can the awards people keep overlooking this part? RDJr as Tony Stark is now the stuff of legend. Think Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal. Pacino as Michael Corleone. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry. John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Anything is possible, especially with Robert Downey, Jr, in the lead, he may get a best actor nom for IM2 and again IM2 might get one, the film has a talented cast, so like I said anything can happen, never rule it out.
Oh...oh dear.

Screw comic book allegiances, as a fan of film in general, I'm genuinely appalled at this. I know, I know, "opinions" and all that, but I'm really curious as to how people would think RDJ's performances in these films are even remotely worthy of a lead Oscar.

Don't get me wrong, he was absolutely fun and great, but the role itself isn't particularly awe-inspiring or impressive. That is not to take away the talent it takes to have such charisma and carry a film like he did, but overall it's nowhere near the standards the Academy holds. RDJ in Chaplin, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or Zodiac? Yes, I'd absolutely understand why they'd think he at the very least deserves an Academy nomination. THAT is RDJ at his best.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #41
Venom
Side-Kick

The "TDK didn't get a nom" justification doesn't really work here. The Best Picture category now has 10 slots open for nominations. The Dark Knight's Oscars only had 5 slots. If it had been 10 for the Dark Knight as well, TDK would have been a shoe-in for a nomination.

(I'm not saying IM2 is gonna get one)

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #42
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

As much as I love the comic book movie genre,I rather not have a movie from it get an award(a major one),let alone a nomination for anything. It's just too weird and unbelievable imo. Movies that win awards,major ones,wether I like them or not seems like a really lame reason for someone to like them because of that. With the well it won an award,so it's that good,because a particular group of people decided on it.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-02-2010 at 02:04 AM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #43
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The "TDK didn't get a nom" justification doesn't really work here. The Best Picture category now has 10 slots open for nominations. The Dark Knight's Oscars only had 5 slots. If it had been 10 for the Dark Knight as well, TDK would have been a shoe-in for a nomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duP4d9ZziY

Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #44
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The ''TDK didn't get a nom'' justification doesn't really work here. The Best Picture category now has 10 slots open for nominations. The Dark Knight's Oscars only had 5 slots. If it had been 10 for the Dark Knight as well, TDK would have been a shoe-in for a nomination.

TDK and Wall-E are the very reason why the field was increased to 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
As much as I love the comic book movie genre,I rather not have a movie from it get an award(a major one),let alone a nomination for anything. It's just too weird and unbelievable imo. Movies that win awards,major ones,wether I like them or not seems like a really lame reason for someone to like them because of that. With the well it won an award,so it's that good,because a particular group of people decided on it.
There's no reason they can't get awards recognition, but the attitude has to be more than simply 'we're making a superhero movie'.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #45
night0205
Side-Kick

The thing is, most "comic book" movies don't deserve to get Best Picture, because they are never THAT good. However, I think The Dark Knight probably should have won for 2008, but then again I don't think Iron Man should be nominated... It's just not a Best Picture type of film. So, Iron Man 2 won't be either... especially with the mixed views.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #46
Conebone69
The Legend Ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Do you think Ironman 2 will claim the glory of being the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for best picture ?

I mean if District freakin' 9 can do it, so can Ironman.
Fer sure! Iron Man will def win best picture!!! NO! It will not even get anywhere close to getting nominated. And district 9 was a great movie, so dont act like it was some **** movie that shouldnt have gotten nominated

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 2012
Conebone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #47
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conebone69 View Post
Fer sure! Iron Man will def win best picture!!! NO! It will not even get anywhere close to getting nominated. And district 9 was a great movie, so dont act like it was some **** movie that shouldnt have gotten nominated
I felt it was pretty brilliant to use a sci-fi alien movie to do a commentary on apartheid. That's a pretty creative way to send a serious message to a larger audience, even if some of them had no clue what the filmmakers were alluding to.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #48
night0205
Side-Kick

District 9 was a completely new unique and original use of film. That is why it got nominated. Did it deserve it? Yeah, I think so. I walked out of the theater seriously thinking, that may not be the most enjoyable film of the year, but it probably is the best made film of the year. The second time I watched it, I didn't even think it was that great, but it was a completely original take, and that hardly ever happens nowadays. I haven't seen the Hurt Locker yet by the way. Seriously, I would have loved if Inglorious got it though.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #49
night0205
Side-Kick

double post.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #50
LegendaryCaleb
Ozymandias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
Fanboys mentioning Kick-Ass makes me chuckle. I enjoyed that film for what it was but the plot is horribly moronic and the tone was all over the place. Small time film for small time tastes IMO. Maybe if I were still in high school, it would have appealed to me more?
first off LOL at this thread
second...moronic? what would happen if a kid really wanted to be a hero is moronic with some comedy and a plot of him being unlucky and falling into something much bigger than he could handle?...i do respect your opinion on how you felt about it...but the comment bothered me from below...
im out of high school and it appealed to me...comments like that are like me telling you "you must be into cheese films cause you trusted raimi for sm4"
(not tryin to pull shots...just saying why pull shots at people who liked kick-ass more...its their opinion ya know?)
Havent seen IM2 yet though...will judge when i see it on my bday