The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
theman
Banned User

Default Why did they recast rhodey??

i just found this out like a day ago, but i havent heard a defintive answer. i heard that marvel recasted him behind his back but also that it was that he wanted more money. which is true, if any?

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Default Re: Why did they recast rhodey??

It's true.

The story goes, when Avi Arad was still with Marvel, he was the one the hired Terrance, he got hired before Favreau was even hired and was given X amount of money. (And these boards went a bit insane when they though he was going to play Tony Stark)

Well in comes Jon, he hires RDJ and the rest (they actually got less money than Terrance) and according to sources Terrance didn't get along with Favreau, so Jon cut his screen time.

Part one got released, it was a smash, RDJ got a deal for more movies, a ton of money and an expensive car that the studio gave him.

After weeks of negotiating and rumors that he might not return, Jon got a deal with Marvel and also got an expensive car.

Terrance, was going to have even less screen time and less money than he did in the first, balked at what he was going to get and off advice from Will Smith he walked.

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
theman
Banned User

wow, thats strange. where did you get this info?

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0h2_...os=LMXKSUcgx5E

around 1:16 should explain all

RoboAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
BatJeff7786
Side-Kick

Take this for what you will (I don't really believe it much but I find it hilarious):

A guy who worked on the first one (and actually cameoed in IM2 , he's in the Expo scene at the beginning), says that apparently Terrence Howard was a huge pot head, and never showed up on set on time because he was always in his trailer getting high.

Like I said, could be far fetched, but also a legit reason to fire someone. And with the way Hollywood works, it's very possible.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Microchip
Gettin my applesauce back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Terrance, was going to have even less screen time and less money than he did in the first, balked at what he was going to get and off advice from Will Smith he walked.
I was under the impression that he wanted more money than Marvel was willing to offer, and due to the fact that apparently he was a bit of a problem on set Marvel decided not to negotiate and immediately recast the role.

I don't know if Howard was the one who walked away in the end. I thought it was Marvel, and Howard was pretty surprised. Whatevs though, I think both Cheadle and Maggie Gwennethal (SP) did great jobs filling in their respective roles.

Microchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
wow, thats strange. where did you get this info?
Just remembered what I read through various news sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microchip View Post
I was under the impression that he wanted more money than Marvel was willing to offer, and due to the fact that apparently he was a bit of a problem on set Marvel decided not to negotiate and immediately recast the role.

I don't know if Howard was the one who walked away in the end. I thought it was Marvel, and Howard was pretty surprised. Whatevs though, I think both Cheadle and Maggie Gwennethal (SP) did great jobs filling in their respective roles.

That may very well be the case. I just remember Howard saying he left on advice of Will Smith.

Who knows.

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
bullets
bang bang

I remember when they wanted Rourke his deal was considered low-balling and something had to be worked out . If it was just about money I think someone like Favreau would of been unhappy he had to recast though and something would of been doen to keep Howard around.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Rumpy Bulge Dubz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJeff7786 View Post
Take this for what you will (I don't really believe it much but I find it hilarious):

A guy who worked on the first one (and actually cameoed in IM2 , he's in the Expo scene at the beginning), says that apparently Terrence Howard was a huge pot head, and never showed up on set on time because he was always in his trailer getting high.

Like I said, could be far fetched, but also a legit reason to fire someone. And with the way Hollywood works, it's very possible.
yea........I really don't think that's what took place

that just sounds like someone talking some stupid ass smack

Rumpy Bulge Dubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAmish View Post
beat me to it

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I like Cheadle as an actor, but i found his Rhodie to be dryer compare to Howard's.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
edonian
Why so insidious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microchip View Post
That's what I heard.

Well, I enjoyed Don Cheadle's performance.

edonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

I always thought it was about money. I usually hate recasts, but i thought Cheadle was a better Rhodes

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Grommers
Side-Kick

I have a feeling it was a multitude of issues. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a pot-head, that he didn't get along with favreau, that marvel didn't want to pay what he wanted (especially if he was to become war machine in this one.)

Plus marvel probably did not want him back anyways, so they probably reallllllllllly low-balled him

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
It's true.

The story goes, when Avi Arad was still with Marvel, he was the one the hired Terrance, he got hired before Favreau was even hired and was given X amount of money. (And these boards went a bit insane when they though he was going to play Tony Stark)

Well in comes Jon, he hires RDJ and the rest (they actually got less money than Terrance) and according to sources Terrance didn't get along with Favreau, so Jon cut his screen time.

Part one got released, it was a smash, RDJ got a deal for more movies, a ton of money and an expensive car that the studio gave him.

After weeks of negotiating and rumors that he might not return, Jon got a deal with Marvel and also got an expensive car.

See some of that sounds true and makes sense and some of it does not.

Like we know that Howard was the first guy cast and that Arad was negotiating with him probably before he was ousted from Marvel and apparently got more money than everyone else. Howard was on a career high at the time remember because of Hustle and Flow.

Also the stuff about cars deals and ****, whatever. I mean how many cars does one guy need? And second, did Favreau NOT already get a fancy new car from Paramount after the movie opened and killed? Just saying, Favreau got a fancy new car after the movie opened.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote