The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #151
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
Yeah,he was able to undo the scars that he had. I rather take close enough
compared to not close enough.
I don't feel he was close enough at all. While somewhat better, this Doom was still awful. The FF series basically tried making Doom without any elements of what makes Doom who he is. The scars, the battlesuit he made, the Doombots, ruling Latveria...these are all essential to Doom, yet Tim Story felt Austin Powers somehow made this all unable to work? People who don't understand the material like that SHOULDN'T be making a film about him!

Dr. Doom's rivalry with Reed is not about Doom exploiting Reed's intelligence...it is about Doom being so vain about himself that Reed's very existance eats at him, because he knows Reed might actually be smarter than him (though he'll never admit it). In these films, Doom is basically a leech. THAT IS NOT DOOM!!!! The fact that is what they did with the greatest villain in all of comics is insulting.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #152
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
Everyone's talking about their personal favorites, but what's more interesting to me is the general, cultural reception. TDK, SM2, X2 received (to all intents and purposes) unanimous praise from critics and the fans pretty much responded in kind. IM2 simply has not had that and, furthermore, is seen as a drop down from its predecessor unlike the aformentioned sequels.

SO the question is, will it's reputation become better as the years go on or will it remain as it is?
I chalk that up to Spider-man, Batman Begins, and X-Men being mediocre first movies. They all handled the origins of their characters well enough but then all three movies fell apart when they started focusing on the hero/action. None of those movies delivered in that aspect. The second half of each movie bored me. It wasn't hard for their sequels to top the predecessors. Iron Man was better (less flawed) than SM1, BB, and X-Men so IM2 had more pressure to be better than the other sequels.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #153
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
He was rushed because they had to make room for the black suit story, cause it is too complicated to fit in with 2 other villains.
Still, the irony is there. Its funny how he Raimi did better with the villain he didn't want in the film than the villain he did.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #154
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

1. X2
2. The Dark Knight
3. Iron Man 2
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Batman Returns
6. Superman II

Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #155
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

are we ever gonna quit on SM3?

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #156
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
I feel like Iron Man 2 is receiving too much credit and The Incredible Hulk received too little credit. Enough with the armored villains.

X2
Incredible Hulk
Batman Begins
Iron Man 2
Spiderman 2 - this was a lil more campy than I would have liked.
The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton isn't a sequel to Eric Bana's 2003 film. It's entirely unrelated.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #157
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomvsspidey View Post
...I know. The FF movies, as bad as they are at least have Chris Evans casted right
I like Chikilis also. Another thing FF2 had going for it was the Silver Surfer. Laurence Fishburne (the voice of SS) stole every scene. Looking at the SS was pretty awesome.

FF2 was much better than FF1 but it still sucked.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #158
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomvsspidey View Post
are we ever gonna quit on SM3?
I think SM3 gets an unfair rap. It wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I actually enjoyed it more in theatres then SM2. Of course, that was because I had higher expectations for SM2. When I went to SM3 I knew what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed. I actually quite enjoyed it.

SM3 is nowhere near a B&R. I'd put it in the category of Batman Forever, another movie that gets an unfair rap.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #159
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Fishburne voicing Silver Surfer is the only reason I watched F4 ROSS

I liked it alright, but not that much to list it on my liked sequels list above.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #160
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I think SM3 gets an unfair rap. It wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I actually enjoyed it more in theatres then SM2. Of course, that was because I had higher expectations for SM2. When I went to SM3 I knew what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed. I actually quite enjoyed it.

SM3 is nowhere near a B&R. I'd put it in the category of Batman Forever, another movie that gets an unfair rap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I like Chikilis also. Another thing FF2 had going for it was the Silver Surfer. Laurence Fishburne (the voice of SS) stole every scene. Looking at the SS was pretty awesome.

FF2 was much better than FF1 but it still sucked.

to both

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #161
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post

Both had problems that kept it from being a great film, although both had a different set of problems.

SM3 suffered from a bad story which led to terrible performances from their two lead actors. I feel as though Raimi cared more about the film, he would've written a much better script. I wonder what he was thinking when he wrote the dancing scenes in the script.

BF's story wasn't the problem (outside of the characterization of Two-face), but BF's biggest problem was the directing. If they got rid of the Neon Lights, the Bat-Nipples, and kept most of the scenes cut from the original script, you would've had the best Batman film ever.

Thats what I love about Iron Man 2. The stupid things that Tony did in the film was within character. For the first time in a superhero film, a scene like the whole house party/fight scene felt acceptable and I was laughing instead of putting a hand over my face saying "why?"

Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #162
epc11223
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Both had problems that kept it from being a great film, although both had a different set of problems.

SM3 suffered from a bad story which led to terrible performances from their two lead actors. I feel as though Raimi cared more about the film, he would've written a much better script. I wonder what he was thinking when he wrote the dancing scenes in the script.

BF's story wasn't the problem (outside of the characterization of Two-face), but BF's biggest problem was the directing. If they got rid of the Neon Lights, the Bat-Nipples, and kept most of the scenes cut from the original script, you would've had the best Batman film ever.

Thats what I love about Iron Man 2. The stupid things that Tony did in the film was within character. For the first time in a superhero film, a scene like the whole house party/fight scene felt acceptable and I was laughing instead of putting a hand over my face saying "why?"
i gotta agree with you about iron man 2 as everything was in character, which was kind of my point about why i dislike spider-man 2. as far as raimi not caring about the script, it probably wasn't that he didnt care; its just that it was what he enjoyed as a script and thought people would like. from what i understand about raimi, he was known for that kind of comedy in past movies that he's done, so it really wasn't anything new. for batman forever, i think i've read that the neon lights was something the wb wanted, not so much joel shumacher. wb didn't want such a dark batman and wanted to kind of bring in more of a 60's batman tone. the bat nipples, yea, that was joel shumacher, but one bad suit does not make a bad movie. to be honest, i quite liked batman forever but at times it was just slow. i think it was two faces over the top character, but i'm not sure how much of it was shumacher and how much of it was the studios edict.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #163
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I don't feel he was close enough at all. While somewhat better, this Doom was still awful. The FF series basically tried making Doom without any elements of what makes Doom who he is. The scars, the battlesuit he made, the Doombots, ruling Latveria...these are all essential to Doom, yet Tim Story felt Austin Powers somehow made this all unable to work? People who don't understand the material like that SHOULDN'T be making a film about him!

Dr. Doom's rivalry with Reed is not about Doom exploiting Reed's intelligence...it is about Doom being so vain about himself that Reed's very existance eats at him, because he knows Reed might actually be smarter than him (though he'll never admit it). In these films, Doom is basically a leech. THAT IS NOT DOOM!!!! The fact that is what they did with the greatest villain in all of comics is insulting.

There was definitely a problem with the script, but I really liked the casting for FF, with perhaps the exception of Alba, albeit she wasn't as bad as some let on.

Julian McMahon however I thought was perfect for Doom. He's very charismatic, yet there's something very menacing about him. It's not McMahon's fault the writers got some things wrong about Doom. In fact I think his performance makes it more like Doom than otherwise would have been if another actor had played the roll.

The second movie was pretty close to what would be my ideal FF movie. There were some liberties taken, and the fact they tried to make it this PG family friendly thing backfired, I mean you're not going to out do the Incredibles.

So part of it was Fox's fault, part was Tim Story's, but I don't blame the actors. I thought they did well for what they had to work with.

I really wish we could have seen those movies as directed by Chris Columbus. I think it would have been alot closer to what people wanted.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #164
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was garbage, I must agree. I'll probably end up seeing TF3, but I have zero hype for it. Literally, zero hype. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was probably the worst major summer film of the last decade. It made the Fantastic Four films look great in comparison. That is just sad
Yeah.... Captain America trailer is a 10$ killer...

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #165
LostSon88
Side-Kick

TDK has been, hands down my FAVORITE CBM EVER. No other CBM had been able to come close to the quality of Nolan's classic Bat-film.

But when I compare IM2 to it its difficult for me to determine which one was better...

I mean, both are very well made and engaging films with strong performances and a significant amount of eye-candy.

But to be honest, as much of a Batman fanboy I am I maybe have to put IM2 over the top on the grounds that it's simply too much fun to watch.

TDK is a 'different' kind of fun that I can watch and really get invested in the trials and tribulations of the narrative.

But IM2 just had that kind of fun blend of everything that had a smile on my face the entire time.

So FOR NOW...and I can't believe i'm saying this,

1. IM2
2. TDK
3. IM
4. TIH
5. BB

I'm a DC guy but Marvel is on a roll with their movies...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #166
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

While IM 2 was good and for the most part entertaining, it doesnt quite get up there with the best CB sequels IMO, here is how I would rate them:

1) The Dark Knight
2) X2
3) Spiderman 2/2.1
4) Hellboy II:The Golden Army
5) Iron Man 2
6) Blade II
7) Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
8) Batman Returns
9) Superman II (sorry, not a fan of the movie at all)
10) Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(4)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(5)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(6)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(7)Godzilla-8(8)Neighbours-8(9)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(10)The Lego Movie-7.5(11)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(12)Robocop-7.5(13)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(14)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(15)47 Ronin-6(16)The Monuments Men-5(17)Ride Along-5(18)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #167
Sentinel X
optical illusion

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-man 2
3. X-men 2
4. Batman Returns
5. Hellboy II
6. Superman II
7. Iron Man 2

Its really sad that I don't think any superhero threequel is worthy of being on the list

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//

Last edited by Sentinel X; 05-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #168
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
While IM 2 was good and for the most part entertaining, it doesnt quite get up there with the best CB sequels IMO, here is how I would rate them:

1) The Dark Knight
2) X2
3) Spiderman 2/2.1
4) Hellboy II:The Golden Army
5) Iron Man 2
6) Blade II
7) Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
8) Batman Returns
9) Superman II (sorry, not a fan of the movie at all)
10) Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer.
Hey,your list is similar to mine,minus the one movie(7) and the order you have the movies in.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-10-2010 at 12:17 PM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #169
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
There was definitely a problem with the script, but I really liked the casting for FF, with perhaps the exception of Alba, albeit she wasn't as bad as some let on.

Julian McMahon however I thought was perfect for Doom. He's very charismatic, yet there's something very menacing about him. It's not McMahon's fault the writers got some things wrong about Doom. In fact I think his performance makes it more like Doom than otherwise would have been if another actor had played the roll.

The second movie was pretty close to what would be my ideal FF movie. There were some liberties taken, and the fact they tried to make it this PG family friendly thing backfired, I mean you're not going to out do the Incredibles.

So part of it was Fox's fault, part was Tim Story's, but I don't blame the actors. I thought they did well for what they had to work with.

I really wish we could have seen those movies as directed by Chris Columbus. I think it would have been alot closer to what people wanted.
I don't blame McMahon either. He was given a bad script to work with. Had he been given a decent script, things may have been different with him. I've never seen Nip/Tuck though, so the FF films are my only experience with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Yeah.... Captain America trailer is a 10$ killer...
I might just wait for the trailer to hit the web if it comes with TF3

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #170
Chris B
Side-Kick

For me at least, IM2 and X2 are my top two in that order. I'd have to think about the rest.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #171
*Dark_Phoenix*
Random Poster

X2: X-men United
Spider-man 2
Batman Returns
Iron man 2
The Dark Knight
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Mutation it's the key to our evolution
It's how we evolved from a single cell organism
Into the dominant specie on the planet
This process is slow
Normally taking 1000s and 1000s of years
But every few hundred millennium
Evolution leaps forward
*Dark_Phoenix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #172
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
X2
Iron Man 2
Superman II
Hellboy II
Blade II
Batman Returns

So in my opinion, definitely one of the better ones.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #173
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

I'm of the mind that, in terms of sequels, the overall enjoyment means more to me than the actual technical aspects of the film. It's for that reason that I've watched Spiderman 3 a lot more than the other two, even though technically, it's the most inferior of the trilogy.

Likewise, I recognize that IM2 isn't a better movie than the first, but I suspect I'll watch it quite a few more times than I did the first one. Certain films I feel should be dark and heavy, and TDK or even X2 fit that mold, but I expect IM or Spiderman to be lighter and more fun. IM2 is definitely more fun than it's predecessor...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #174
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Why are people comparing Iron Man 2 to Spider-Man 3?

Let's wait until Iron Man 3 comes out, THEN we can say it's better than Spider-Man 3, lol.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #175
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
Why are people comparing Iron Man 2 to Spider-Man 3?

Let's wait until Iron Man 3 comes out, THEN we can say it's better than Spider-Man 3, lol.
If your referring to me, I'm not comparing the two movies to each other at all, I'm comparing them to their respective franchises. My point being that, while most would consider Spiderman 1&2 the better films in comparison to SM3, IMO, SM3 is the most enjoyable and thus, the movie I watch in more volume. Likewise, IM is a better movie than IM2 but I feel IM2 is the more enjoyable one, which was the point of the whole comparison, and most other people's as well

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote