The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler
 
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Zelinsky View Post
They aren't unified
That is not true and your supporting quote is from Mackie and was in response to the question for them doing a TV/Movie crossover. He is also factually incorrect.

As far as the MCU goes they are unified, however there is a disconnect between the movies and the shows due to them being handled by different divisions within Marvel under Disney (so they are in fact the same company too).
From the Movies to the TV shows though it's all the same universe, the same world, and the same continuity: AOS has had direct tie ins to the movies, Agent Carter followed on from Captain America: First Avenger, and the Netflix shows have referenced Avengers (Loki's invasion) and characters from them numerous times.

What has not happened so far is the movies referencing anything from the shows, which is arguably a matter of logistics (a film script will be written well in advance of anything for the shows for example). However the movie side has split from being under Permulter's control, so a little internal politics is likely at play too.

__________________
To see some gratuitous Wobbly Bits just hit the link :)
wobbly is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
That is not true and your supporting quote is from Mackie and was in response to the question for them doing a TV/Movie crossover. He is also factually incorrect.

As far as the MCU goes they are unified, however there is a disconnect between the movies and the shows due to them being handled by different divisions within Marvel under Disney (so they are in fact the same company too).
From the Movies to the TV shows though it's all the same universe, the same world, and the same continuity: AOS has had direct tie ins to the movies, Agent Carter followed on from Captain America: First Avenger, and the Netflix shows have referenced Avengers (Loki's invasion) and characters from them numerous times.

What has not happened so far is the movies referencing anything from the shows, which is arguably a matter of logistics (a film script will be written well in advance of anything for the shows for example). However the movie side has split from being under Permulter's control, so a little internal politics is likely at play too.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
GeckoMoria
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Greece
Posts: 843
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

The fact that some people here question whether it all takes place in one continuity isn't flatttering for their intellectual levels...

GeckoMoria is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

The TV/Film relationship is more "It's not contradictory!" than "It's all connected!" But all of the Disney/Marvel live action product to date exists within the same continuity.

Zarex is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 40,577
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

All of Agents of SHIELD takes place within Coulson's dying mind after he was stabbed by Loki. Everything in there is a figment of his imagination, drawing from various real-life sources and encounters. His brain is still being operated on all this time. The series is going to end with him finally accepting Tahiti as his destination.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
All of Agents of SHIELD takes place within Coulson's dying mind after he was stabbed by Loki. Everything in there is a figment of his imagination, drawing from various real-life sources and encounters. His brain is still being operated on all this time. The series is going to end with him finally accepting Tahiti as his destination.
I'm sure some AOS fans would have a fit if they did that, but as someone who isn't a particular fan of AOS (or the crap they're doing with the Inhumans), I'd actually think it was great if they did that and started over fresh with the real Inhumans.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie
 
Leo Zelinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: 1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560
Posts: 3,227
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoMoria View Post
The fact that some people here question whether it all takes place in one continuity isn't flatttering for their intellectual levels...

Never said it wasn't the same continuity.

Just saying the MCU isn't as unified as ppl think. Mackie isn't the only one to comment on it

Quote:
I don’t know. People who make movies for Marvel, why don’t you acknowledge what happens on our show? Why don’t you guys go ask them that? Cause they don’t seem to care!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe loves to pretend that everything is connected, but then they don’t acknowledge our show at all.

__________________


"A man has to be what he is. You can't break the mold..... There’s no living with… with a killing. There’s no going back from one. Right or wrong, it’s a brand. A brand sticks. There’s no going back. Now you run on home to your mother, and tell her… tell her everything’s all right. And there aren’t anymore guns in the valley."
Leo Zelinsky is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #10
GeckoMoria
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Greece
Posts: 843
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

We have known this for years so there is no point repeating it. Things have changed but what doesn't change is the fact that the movies will always be the driving force. Shows are supplementary material as they should be. Tie-ins.

GeckoMoria is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

The whole point of Agents of Shield is they're a small, covert group of operatives. The idea of Thor or Dr. Strange talking about AOS would seem forced, out of place and a gratuitous plug .

It would be a distraction because at the moment they referenced AOS, most audience members would roll their eyes and think: "There goes Disney, throwing a commercial for their TV show into the film." and, for a few moments, they'd be thinking about that and not paying attention to what was happening on-screen.

The above quote just seems like whining to me.

But, if they continue in the direction they seem to be going with Hydra and Inhumans and broader implications, I think they may get to a point that they will inevitably be more linked and won't be able to avoid more connection than they currently have.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-23-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
NHawk19
insert witty comment
 
NHawk19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Steel Town USA
Posts: 4,529
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

What I don't get is that if the movies have plotlines developed years in advance why aren't they shared with the shows so they can get out infront and weave between them a little better.

SHIELD actually was a perfect connector for the MCU until TWS blew it up. Legitimatizing it again though could've been relatively easy especially given the Accords and events in AoU. Then they have their binder between film and TV which could allow Coulson and crew to live on the bus and investigate events leading up to the next movie. Then the movie drops a thing about SHIELD providing intel or something.

To get back on FF4 topic this would've been great for FF4 setup too as Ross not trusting SHIELD could go to the Baxter building as a contractor about blah blah space mission blah blah powers blah blah rest of story.

__________________
Chris: This is a sports network. Our sponsors expect us to project an image of good health and clean living.
Dan: I'll think about that next time I'm reporting on how the Miller Genuine Draft car did in the Winston Cup.
NHawk19 is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

It comes down to Feige being a control freak, which Mackie hinted at in his recent comments. It's one of the reason why he's starting fresh with Spidey. He wants to have control over every aspect of the cinematic MCU and he doesn't care to have anything incorporated into his fictional universe that he didn't initially vet and sign off on. This could change if Perlmutter and/or Loeb retires or Feige moves on, but it may be quite a while before we see anything meaningful from the TV shows show up on screen.

Zarex is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
GeckoMoria
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Greece
Posts: 843
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Feige has spend most of his life seeing his favorite characters getting butchered by Sony and Fox. he has been executive producer on most of the Fox/Sony comic book movies which means he has watched helplessly movies like Elektra, fanstic Four 1,2 Blade Trinity, daredevil, Punisher and many more.

I'm sure he did his best to provide some guidance as he did with X-men but being executive producer is just an honorary title. You bet your top dollar he is going to do things his way now that he has the power. All that mishandling for years has made him cautious.

GeckoMoria is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
InCali
A Tail of Three Doggies
 
InCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Cali
Posts: 6,987
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

I think it's a shame that we won't have a FF/Inhumans Royal Family tie when FF rights revert to Marvel.

AND, they better NOT make FF a TV show......

__________________
Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector; Elite 120" 16:9 Screen; Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray player; Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Surround System

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
What I don't get is that if the movies have plotlines developed years in advance why aren't they shared with the shows so they can get out infront and weave between them a little better.

SHIELD actually was a perfect connector for the MCU until TWS blew it up. Legitimatizing it again though could've been relatively easy especially given the Accords and events in AoU. Then they have their binder between film and TV which could allow Coulson and crew to live on the bus and investigate events leading up to the next movie. Then the movie drops a thing about SHIELD providing intel or something.

To get back on FF4 topic this would've been great for FF4 setup too as Ross not trusting SHIELD could go to the Baxter building as a contractor about blah blah space mission blah blah powers blah blah rest of story.
I think there has to be some coordination and planning. As you touch on with the collapse of shield, that was something that happened in the film and was immediately carried through to the show (and I think it actually improved the show some by giving them an outlaw, rogue feel).

And as I mentioned above, if things continue the way they seem to be going with Hydra and the Inhumans (which will likely flow into the Inhumans series), that will have broad implications that almost won't be able to be ignored by the films.

I think the connections up to this point have been somewhat subtle because there has been little need to cross lines, but as things happen in both the film and TV worlds to alter the broad reality characters are living in, I'm sure that new environment will be reflected in both films and TV shows.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-23-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
I think it's a shame that we won't have a FF/Inhumans Royal Family tie when FF rights revert to Marvel.

AND, they better NOT make FF a TV show......
That's a major concern. I'd feel a lot better about the Scott Buck (ugh!) run show if it didn't mean that the Royal Family might never appear alongside the Avengers, FF, etc.

Zarex is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
I think it's a shame that we won't have a FF/Inhumans Royal Family tie when FF rights revert to Marvel.

AND, they better NOT make FF a TV show......
If Marvel gets the rights, and if the Inhumans series has a high level of quality (the Lockjaw stand-in I saw gives me some hope it will be something special), I wouldn't mind seeing the FF introduced in that show, but I agree, the FF needs the budget and scope and scale of a film to do them justice ultimately.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
That's a major concern. I'd feel a lot better about the Scott Buck (ugh!) run show if it didn't mean that the Royal Family might never appear alongside the Avengers, FF, etc.
Scott Buck or Simon Kinberg? Go!


__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #20
NHawk19
insert witty comment
 
NHawk19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Steel Town USA
Posts: 4,529
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I think there has to be some coordination and planning. As you touch on with the collapse of shield, that was something that happened in the film and was immediately carried through to the show (and I think it actually improved the show some by giving them an outlaw, rogue feel).

And as I mentioned above, if things continue the way they seem to be going with Hydra and the Inhumans (which will likely flow into the Inhumans series), that will have broad implications that almost won't be able to be ignored by the films.

I think the connections up to this point have been somewhat subtle because there has been little need to cross lines, but as things happen in both the film and TV worlds to alter the broad reality characters are living in, I'm sure that new environment will be reflected in both films and TV shows.
Initially I would say that TWS did help it. Just carried a little to far I think and opened up to to many different questions they dragged on and never quite resolved well.

I tend to agree. AoS should be able to feed into whatever is going to happen within the MCU. However them not getting some of the MCU stars on the show is increasingly limiting what they do. Hopefully they can get someone back on the show like they did with Sif that will feed up to the movies. Having said that though I don't know that they'll be around long enough for it to happen.

__________________
Chris: This is a sports network. Our sponsors expect us to project an image of good health and clean living.
Dan: I'll think about that next time I'm reporting on how the Miller Genuine Draft car did in the Winston Cup.
NHawk19 is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 9,116
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
Initially I would say that TWS did help it. Just carried a little to far I think and opened up to to many different questions they dragged on and never quite resolved well.

I tend to agree. AoS should be able to feed into whatever is going to happen within the MCU. However them not getting some of the MCU stars on the show is increasingly limiting what they do. Hopefully they can get someone back on the show like they did with Sif that will feed up to the movies. Having said that though I don't know that they'll be around long enough for it to happen.
Yeah, I don't know why they don't throw in some quick cameos just for fun. Maybe union rules and contracts make it difficult? They do those goofy little things like the Thor teaser for Ragnarok. You'd think they could do something similar with a brief appearance in AOS. (and if it's difficult to get the film stars to the AOS set, I'm sure the AOS stars and small crew would be happy to meet up with Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans at a time and place of their choosing.

__________________
Check out my Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

The biggest missed opportunity was the helicarrier on A:AOU. It was later shown on AOS that Coulson had the thing put back into service for Fury. But would it have killed Whedon to have a cast member or two show up on the bridge? I mean, there was no seat available for Deathlok? Or Patton frikkin Oswalt? That was the scene that told me Feige REALLY doesn't want his peanut butter mixing with Loeb's chocolate.

Zarex is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
NotNickFury
Side-Kick
 
NotNickFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SHIELD offsite
Posts: 2,705
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Well, in Whedon's mind, Coulson is dead within the context of the films. And those cameos are only going to work for the.....I don't know, ten or so people who watch SHIELD. And not like putting a TV character would be glossed over- there'd probably be an explanation for their presence. Otherwise, why have them there at all as opposed to Galaga Guy?

And Sif appearing on SHIELD won't have any impact on the Thor films, so that appearance felt like just throwing a bone.

NotNickFury is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #24
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Well, in Whedon's mind, Coulson is dead within the context of the films. And those cameos are only going to work for the.....I don't know, ten or so people who watch SHIELD. And not like putting a TV character would be glossed over- there'd probably be an explanation for their presence. Otherwise, why have them there at all as opposed to Galaga Guy?
You're close - 4 million. And that's not counting those that watch the shows on streaming services and syndication and outside the US. It's a much bigger crowd than the folks who got the Synthetic Man cameo in CA:TFA. Or currently read the comics. To pretend that millions of folks don't matter is ridiculous.

Quote:
And Sif appearing on SHIELD won't have any impact on the Thor films, so that appearance felt like just throwing a bone.
Lucasfilm has had animated tv programs directly impact the Star Wars Universe. It can work wonderfully if the people in charge put their egos in check.

Zarex is offline  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 40,577
Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Scott Buck or Simon Kinberg? Go!

Scott Buck needs to be sent to work on a project with Josh Trank and Simon Kinberg now

Buck and Trank could make beautiful music together.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.