The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Should Punisher get a TV show?

Punisher has gotten a couple of movies that more or less failed at the box office. Considering several Marvel street level characters are getting shows on Netflix, should Punisher get a TV show? Punisher could easily work on a TV budget. I hope if he got a show, it be on Netflix or a cable channel like HBO or AMC that could handle the Punisher properly, I wouldn't want to see a Punisher show on network TV.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Shakel92
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Punisher get a TV show

I would be surprised if we don't get a Punisher Netflix show in a couple of years.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Lord
All Mighty

He should, but i realy don't like the idea of making some season long movie like some of the Netflix shows are. I think the dieal Punisher show would pretty much be a crime version of early Supernatural Seasons, as he goes from town to town killing crooks and as the season builds on, he starts getting the police going after him. As well as slowly building towards an end game.

I think a Punished tv show needs some one-shot stories.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

My preference is for him to appear in Daredevil first as an antagonist (not necessarily a villain) and then see how it goes from there. He fits in pretty well with the Netflix shows, so it's probably worth it.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
My preference is for him to appear in Daredevil first as an antagonist (not necessarily a villain) and then see how it goes from there. He fits in pretty well with the Netflix shows, so it's probably worth it.
Yes him as a guest on the show would be nice then his own show.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Blackman
C'mon Son

For sure Punisher needs his own show. It should be a no brainer at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Yeah Ive liked that idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
He should, but i realy don't like the idea of making some season long movie like some of the Netflix shows are. I think the dieal Punisher show would pretty much be a crime version of early Supernatural Seasons, as he goes from town to town killing crooks and as the season builds on, he starts getting the police going after him. As well as slowly building towards an end game.

Nah...
One shot idea stories aren't bad, but Id prefer a season against a singular enemy. LIke one season he takes down human traffickers, another Jigsaw and so forth.

It should be serialized.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Punisher is one character who a "villain of the week" format actually fits (given that he tends to, you know, kill his enemies). So you could do that, but also sprinkle in a season-long plot involving a "big bad." Be it Jigsaw, Ma Gnucci, Kingpin, etc.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The Punisher is one character who a "villain of the week" format actually fits (given that he tends to, you know, kill his enemies). So you could do that, but also sprinkle in a season-long plot involving a "big bad." Be it Jigsaw, Ma Gnucci, Kingpin, etc.
Yeah that could work I guess.
Through gathering info/doing recon he has to kill different people but there is still is a prevalent big bad.

I mean that's pretty much still what most shows with season long arcs do.

But keep him in New York, save for a few times. Don't have him be The Equalizer/Caine in Kung Fu going around helping people

Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post

Nah...
One shot idea stories aren't bad, but Id prefer a season against a singular enemy. LIke one season he takes down human traffickers, another Jigsaw and so forth.

It should be serialized.
I realy don't like that idea, i think it's just stretching a plot that could easily be resolved in 2 episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
That's how i think it should go, as the character faces different types of crimes and the plot slowly builds towards a climax with some high ranking criminal. Then you would also have subplots like the police trying to track him down as well.

I don't think every show needs to try and be Breaking Bad or House of Cards, sometimes, an episodic format works better. When you start stretching every storyline into an entire season, i think the plot can get way too slow and unoriginal. Some of examples were Blade: The series and From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series. The Walking Dead also wastes some time too much.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 03-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Blackman
C'mon Son

diff'rent strokes I guess

but:
1) A bunch of one shots really is going to get repetitive a lot quicker than season long arcs do like in the Law & Orders, Bones, etc.
Also it seems like season long story arcs tend to attract more talent for some reason
It also gives a better chance to show growth between a wider cast of characters, giving more actors/actresses screen time and allowing writers have more room to breathe with the characters because they could stick around for longer than one episode

And not every show with season long arcs tries to be HoC or Breaking Bad. That's just silly.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post

Well something like Punisher Max had story arcs, it would take around 6 issues for Frank to deal with various criminal enterprises and plot threads would come back later (Nicky Cavella, the villains from the Mother Russia arc, Barracuda all came back later) and thus plot threads from the past would be addressed in the future. So that series was not 100% episodic, but it wasn't extremely serialized either. I do want criminals where it takes more then one episode for Frank to take them down, Frank needs credible opposition and I think stories like the Slavers arc or the Nicky Cavella stories need more then one episode to deal with them properly.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakel92 View Post
I would be surprised if we don't get a Punisher Netflix show in a couple of years.
I was going to say the same thing.

The likes of Punisher, Dardevil, Blade and Ghost Rider all need to be Netflix shows. They don't really fit in with the rest of the MCU.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
I was going to say the same thing.

The likes of Punisher, Dardevil, Blade and Ghost Rider all need to be Netflix shows. They don't really fit in with the rest of the MCU.
I do wonder if Ghost Rider could work on a TV budget though, Punisher is just really easy to make work on a TV budget.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I do wonder if Ghost Rider could work on a TV budget though, Punisher is just really easy to make work on a TV budget.
Yeah I can see what you mean but the special effects on the Flash TV show are really good in my opinion for TV standard's so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Well something like Punisher Max had story arcs, it would take around 6 issues for Frank to deal with various criminal enterprises and plot threads would come back later (Nicky Cavella, the villains from the Mother Russia arc, Barracuda all came back later) and thus plot threads from the past would be addressed in the future. So that series was not 100% episodic, but it wasn't extremely serialized either. I do want criminals where it takes more then one episode for Frank to take them down, Frank needs credible opposition and I think stories like the Slavers arc or the Nicky Cavella stories need more then one episode to deal with them properly.
That i agree with, multiple stories that have various plot threads coming back later, what i find ridiculous would be to take 6 issues of a certain storyline and stretch them into 6+ episodes with 40 minutes each. I think an ideal is a mix between episodic and serialized, like some of the best moments in Supernatural.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Yeah I can see what you mean but the special effects on the Flash TV show are really good in my opinion for TV standard's so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Super speed is a pretty budget friendly super power, it just takes a couple of camera tricks to pull off. Whenever Ghost Rider appears on screen, you would have to spend a ton on CGI.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #17
Thanos
Side-Kick

I want the first two seasons to focus on his time in the military. The last half of the second season would be him getting discharged and returning to his family in the US. The finale of season 2 would be the death of his family at a park. Season 3, would deal with the emotional trauma of losing his family and his transition into the Punisher, ending with him in his Skull uniform/costume. Starting with season 4, we see him taking on his enemies.

That would be my ideal Punisher series. Take it slow and build his story. I know a lot of people really wouldn't want to see his military service stretched out for a season and a half, but I would. I really enjoyed China Beach back in the 80's, and the FX show Over There, if it's done well, his military stories would be excellent way to show his origin.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #18
BatsDC
Avocados At Law

I'm pretty certain we'll be seeing Punisher on Daredevil - probably played by Milo Ventimiglia - so I'd imagine it's possible. Would be fun to see, and let us really explore Frank's character.

Dylan O'Brien for Spider-Man, Jason Isaacs for Norman Osborn, Emily Blunt for Captain Marvel
Avvy by geetard
BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #19
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Punisher should be introduced on the other Netflix shows. I think he will already exists and then we will get an origin.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #20
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

He shoul be introduced in one of the Netflix Series. But he shouldn't get his own show until one of the others end.

ernesth100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #21
BarryAllen
Dancing Monkey

I think Punisher should be on AMC or HBO with a Breaking Bad approach, where we see Frank's decent into madness, and his effect on his allies (Microchip, Bullet, etc).

Defenders:
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones
Misty Knight
Colleen Wing
BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #22
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
I want the first two seasons to focus on his time in the military. The last half of the second season would be him getting discharged and returning to his family in the US. The finale of season 2 would be the death of his family at a park. Season 3, would deal with the emotional trauma of losing his family and his transition into the Punisher, ending with him in his Skull uniform/costume. Starting with season 4, we see him taking on his enemies.

That would be my ideal Punisher series. Take it slow and build his story. I know a lot of people really wouldn't want to see his military service stretched out for a season and a half, but I would. I really enjoyed China Beach back in the 80's, and the FX show Over There, if it's done well, his military stories would be excellent way to show his origin.
Would prefer flash backs to fill in. You can't have a Punisher series if he doesn't become the Punisher for a year and a half.

Lilbaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #23
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

I just think it's a bit crowded and all with all the new movies and Marvel Shows(Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders) is all. So I say they wait atleast until Daredevil and/or Jessica Jones finish.

ernesth100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #24
Mr Para

Yeah think punishers name has been tarnished...... bit like ghost rider really hopefully it falls back to marvel if not already.

Perhaps they could involve punisher on the netflix shows they will need to expand in the marvel universe.

Mr Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #25
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Would like it if they split it. Half being from his pov and half being FBI agents trying to track him down. You could even have the FBI interviewing Talbot (or if they are legit again) SHIELD. Frank could have worked with/for them during his military days. Have him more like the Terminator, going around dispensing Punishment.

Lilbaz is online now   Reply With Quote