The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #51
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Default Re: What changes would you make in the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
There is a scene(I think it might be when they're fighting at his birthday party)where Stark refers to Rhodey as a "War Machine". Sort of similar to the first movie when Obediah says to Stark "that's what we do Tony, we're Iron Mongers".

Yeah, I remember and i Thought that throw away line worked well for Iron Monger but War Machine is a much more important character to IM canon and the way the movie had set up his introduction, in such a public way... It just felt like a missed oppurtunity.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #52
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I feel it would have been a little silly if Vanko said something like, "Call me Whiplash." Same goes for Stane. Movies and comics work differently, so not every villain needs to be named. However, I agree that Rhodes should have been dubbed War Machine by Hammer, rather than the name be in a throwaway line which was muffled under Tony's mask and the music.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #53
Scorpion Soldier
Side-Kick

I loved the movie but definitly would change a few things.
-AC/DC or any classic rock music during the Tony/Rhodey fight, the current music isn't that bad but it's not exactly a perfect fit for Iron Man.
-As earlier mentioned make Hammer actually call the suit War Machine, after all he is competing with Iron Man, so at least give the suit a cool name to compete.
-Make the Vanko/IM/WM fight a bit longer, maybe have Tony fight him for a bit first and some dialogue and then have Tony and Rhodey defeat him.
-Have more conflict between Ivan and Tony in the prison scene, perhaps Ivan getting loose from his handcuffs and attacking Tony, to show how much he hates him.
-Mark II suit up scene with Rhodey, the suit up scenes are always nice to watch and are visually impressive, might aswell could've used up 10 or 15 seconds to actually show him putting on the suit.
-10 or 15 minutes more runtime

Scorpion Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #54
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Soldier View Post
-As earlier mentioned make Hammer actually call the suit War Machine, after all he is competing with Iron Man, so at least give the suit a cool name to compete.

The "Variable Threat Response Battle Suit" is what Tony Stark first named it in the comics when he built it, I thought it was a really nice touch that the film makers put that in there.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #55
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

-Longer final fight scene
-Making Vanko's suit more interesting.
-Not killing Vanko.

That's pretty much it.

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #56
Scorpion Soldier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
The "Variable Threat Response Battle Suit" is what Tony Stark first named it in the comics when he built it, I thought it was a really nice touch that the film makers put that in there.
It is a nice thouch, that's true. But Hammer was trying to make WM an icon because he wanted to compete with Iron Man, and it's kinda like advertising a product. For instance in commercials you don't hear the full project name, only it's public name that is much shorter in simpler because for the general public it's much easier to remember.

Scorpion Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #57
lou2099
soulless zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
-Longer final fight scene-Making Vanko's suit more interesting.Not killing Vanko.That's pretty much it.
I don't necessarily believe he's dead.

And boom goes the dynamite. Deadpool...wins.
lou2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #58
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

^ His suit blew up with the rest of the drones.

My only gripe is that there was even less IM in this than IM1. This is the first time i've seen a superhero movie, where they pull back on the main stars action in the sequel. The first movie, i understand because of character developement and whatnot, but in a sequel...wtf?!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #59
Chris M
Banned User

Loved the film, but for my money:
  • Lose the Black Widow character (especially the Happy Hogan fight scene) Sorry - I enjoyed seeing her but she didn't advance the story in a meaningful way. Save it for the special features.
  • Include the 10 Rings with the time you get back - maybe even show the Mandarin in the shadows.

Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #60
zeptron
Side-Kick

- Get rid of Black Widow. She added nothing to the movie. There were already too many subplots and too much set up going on for one movie. So to put her in as well was just too much. She didn't even play much of a part in the story. She hung around Tony and got to do one fight.

- Much longer final fight with Whiplash. I was a bit disappointed with the short fight with Iron Monger in the first movie and was hoping for a more epic fight with Whiplash.

- More scenes with Vanko.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #61
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Wow, changes, there are actually quite a lot I would make:

Give the movie some emotional content is my main one. I mean, the main character, the TITLE character, is dying, and did we feel anything towards it? No, not at all, as we never get to feel the gravity of the situation, all we see is Tony making jokes, more than anything else, this was the main flaw of the movie for me, it felt extremely hollow. Just one scene of Tony thinking he has found a cure, only for it to fall apart at the last minute and he breaks down crying, would have added a WHOLE lot more to movie.

I know its been said before, but make the action sequences longer, I didnt mind the Monaco fight being short, the the last fight lasting about 60 seconds is unforgivable for a $200 million dollar movie though, especially when the whole movie was building upto a confrontation between Stark and Vanko, this was very poor, I dont expect to be walking out of a movie with this budget dissapointed with the action.

Make the movie 15-20 mins longer, I blame this mostly on Marvel, as it was obvious the movie was missing something in places and I doubt Favreau was happy about this.

Lastly, take SOME of the jokes out, they actually got annoying at some points.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #62
S_H_F_4839
Hulk Smash

everyone is saying drop black widow, I disagree slightly I think she should have been reduced to a cameo appearance I think she should have been the one that called fury about the hammer in new mexico coulson could have been down in the crater trying to pick it up and not having any luck.

I agree that a lot of the sheild stuff should have been dropped there could have been one scene with fury trying to convince stark over the phone to join and we could have kept the im not going to join ur super powered boy band line. I also think stark should have found the element on his own and found a hidden message from his father without fury holding his hand.

hammer should have been more of a threat also. he should have been a serious rival to tonys company rather than the annoyance he was portrayed as rockwell was perfect casting but was misused making hammer a dancing money/power hungry fool to be played by vanko.

now on to vanko himself his character should have been split into the two characters he should have been rather than combining them into one. I pictured a big two part epic battle at the end when they started talking about whiplash and crimson dynamo I pictured a big fight between the dynamo and iron man that leaves his armor severly battled damaged which is why whiplash without armor can stand up to him.

I also think there should have been a much bigger goal rather than the destruction of tony stark like hammers ultimate goal should have been to push the world into war maybe have a country he is supplying be pushed into war with the us. we have all this anti american sentiment the world over I pictured a big press confrence unveiling rather than the expo unveiling of war machine and hammers people taking control of rhody and him being used to attack this country starting a war where hammer will benefit from supplying weapons to both sides. if he wanted to include the anti stark part of it when they traced the signal that controlled rhody it would come back to a stark sattelite that had been taken over by hammers technicians. hammer has always been about business before anything else so why was he portrayed where business was on the backburner instead he was obsessed with political power. russia should have been the country rhodes was forced to attack and hammer could have used the plans he made when he was upgrading rhodes armor to design a more powerful suit to sell to russia which they outfit their best soldier with and he could have rigged something where the suit will kill the pilot if he disobeys a superior which hammer takes control of when stark attempts to attack hammer induustries.

Last edited by S_H_F_4839; 06-09-2010 at 06:14 AM.
S_H_F_4839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #63
kinko

Overall, Ironman 2 was an enjoyable movie but it does suffer from some of the same problems a lot of these sequels do; that of introducing too many characters. I watched an interview with Jon Favreau where he realises that it is a problem but only a problem if all the new characters are pointless. And in this respect he does tackle the extra players fairly well.

The problem is that one of the best things about Ironman 1 was its simplicity and this is somewhat muddled in the sequel with these extra people.

So if I were to change things, I would agree with many here to cut Black Widow, Nick Fury and the whole SHIELD element (Maybe leave in the agent from the first film).

Also it's clear that there are influences from the 'Demon in a Bottle' story line, but it would have been better if Rhodey became War Machine to step in as a hero when Tony was going over the edge with drink, as opposed to kinda stealing the MK2 from him.

One more problem that didnít sit well with me was near the end when Tony confesses he is dying to Pepper. This scene, which was to be a really important point in their relationship, was played out over 2 monitors watched by Happy and Black Widow?! This didnít feel terribly passionate shown in the way it was and I can help but feel it was done in this way to further justify Black Widows involvement. I would be much happier to have seen this as an intimate (well as intimate as you can get while one of the people it flying a 200 mph) moment between the two, and would have really help sell their kiss at the end, which to me came a bit out of the blue.

Also, I think they missed a trick by not having Hammer/Vanko in cahoots with the Ten Rings.

kinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinko View Post
Overall, Ironman 2 was an enjoyable movie but it does suffer from some of the same problems a lot of these sequels do; that of introducing too many characters. I watched an interview with Jon Favreau where he realises that it is a problem but only a problem if all the new characters are pointless. And in this respect he does tackle the extra players fairly well.

The problem is that one of the best things about Ironman 1 was its simplicity and this is somewhat muddled in the sequel with these extra people.

So if I were to change things, I would agree with many here to cut Black Widow, Nick Fury and the whole SHIELD element (Maybe leave in the agent from the first film).

Also it's clear that there are influences from the 'Demon in a Bottle' story line, but it would have been better if Rhodey became War Machine to step in as a hero when Tony was going over the edge with drink, as opposed to kinda stealing the MK2 from him.

One more problem that didnít sit well with me was near the end when Tony confesses he is dying to Pepper. This scene, which was to be a really important point in their relationship, was played out over 2 monitors watched by Happy and Black Widow?! This didnít feel terribly passionate shown in the way it was and I can help but feel it was done in this way to further justify Black Widows involvement. I would be much happier to have seen this as an intimate (well as intimate as you can get while one of the people it flying a 200 mph) moment between the two, and would have really help sell their kiss at the end, which to me came a bit out of the blue.

Also, I think they missed a trick by not having Hammer/Vanko in cahoots with the Ten Rings.
Couldnt agree more with this part, this was my main problem with the movie, even the serious issues were played for laughs, which in the end gave the movie no emotional content at all when everything is played for laughs, which was a BIG flaw in the movie, because at the end I simply felt nothing.

Definately agreed about the kiss as well which was a WTF moment for me.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #65
Mr. Fixit
Enforcer

It seemed to run long and the pacing was off throughout the film. I'd try to fix that I suppose.

Maybe it'll come off better upon a second viewing. My initial response was..."meh, very average"

Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #66
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinko View Post
One more problem that didnít sit well with me was near the end when Tony confesses he is dying to Pepper. This scene, which was to be a really important point in their relationship, was played out over 2 monitors watched by Happy and Black Widow?!
I hated this scene it totally took away some pace from the action and tension building up just to throw in another scene of Pepper moaning.

My main change would be much less of Pepper she is his assistant, there is no reason to make her his love interest other than films seem to need a love interest. She is a crap character. Cut back on Happy too he didn't need a fight scene.

I was happy to see the Shield parts for me they didn't get in the way as I knew going into the film that they needed to be in it to build up parts for the bigger picture. I would have liked Black Widow to have a Russian accent but I guess with the "bad guy" been Russian it might not have worked, also a little more character development from her would have been nice.

It's a shame that the end fight felt rushed again like the 1st one, we had some really good set-pieces and scenes building up this big moment, just for something sort so Tony could go get Pepper and let them have a long drawn out "I need you .. I love you" moment which wasn't needed.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #67
BatJeff7786
Side-Kick

-Have Vanko possess the key to curing Stark's poisoning. It significantly raises the conflict between the two characters and raises the stakes of the plot.

-Rather than have a drunk Tony fight Rhodey and steal the Mark II suit, have the same situation, but then Vanko causes some trouble that requires Iron Man to have to take action, but he's still drunk and fails miserably. Then Rhodey comes in and has to save the day. Much more dramatic and interesting.

-Cut back on the SHIELD stuff or at least integrate it better. Also give Fury a proper introduction rather than relying on everyone to see "the end credits to the last movie" or "knowing the comics".

-At least one more action scene in the middle of the film.

-Make Hammer at least somewhat of a threat to Stark rather than just comic relief all the time. Also give us a legit reason for them to arrest him at the end.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #68
Blackman
C'mon Son

Longer fight scenes
Take out/dramatically reduce SHIELD-Nick Fury screentime
Take out Black Widow and replace ScarJo
Up Happy's role
Put a little more edge on Tony's alcoholism (not DIAB level though)
Make Hammer an actual threat

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #69
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

I loved the movie, let me prefice with that, but if I could change anything...

1) make Black Widow more relevant once it's understood who she really is. Yeah she keeps a low profile when she's just a lowly notary/assistant, but when she's a baddass SHIELD agent... Y'know what? Just make her more relevant, period.

2) Pepper should've been more aware of what Tony was going through. Even if she didn't know the whole story, she shouldn't have been completely oblivious to Tony's condition that just made her look stupid. This was a major demotion from "I don't have anyone else but you" from the 1st movie

3) On the subject of Pepper again, show at least some hint of affection between her and Happy. That would've been a nice nod to the comics, and they had much more screentime together in this one than the last. Just one scene, or a line would've sufficed. A wasted opportunity.

4) The key to defeating the Hammeroids should've been defeating Vanko himself. That way the final fight could've been longer and more important (though in all honesty I didn't mind how long it was)

5) Vanko must keep his helmet on at all times in the final fight or leave it off, none of that Venom-ish helmet on, helmet off crap

I think that's all

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #70
925cali
New User - Level 0

I wouldn't change Pepper and Tony kissing. It's nice to see a movie like this where the couple is actually together and not all over dramatized and unhappy. I do like the idea of Black Widow speaking some Russian. I wouldn't want the last fight scene to be any longer. Too many movies drag that on forever.

Prototype Manufacturer

925cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #71
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

I wouldve liked a more impactful more intense and action driven ending fight with war machine and iron man vs whiplash, that fight lasted like a tad over a minute. The ended was wasted, it really took away from the movie for me.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #72
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

More War Machine/Rhodey.

Less Black Widow, besides the end battle. Maybe Fury tells Tony that he'll have an agent backing him up & it's Widow.

Battle between WM/IM & Whiplash SHOULD BE WAAAAAAAAAAAY LONGER.

10-15 minutes longer.

That's all I'd fix. I loved this movie & it's my second favorite movie of the year after TS3. This movie was easily better & more enjoyable than any movie from last year, save District 9 & Up.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #73
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

My revised changes after sitting on the movie-

-More Rourke.

And that's pretty much it. I didn't have a problem with the shorter final fight and honestly didn't think anyone would until I went online. You guys have to realize this is a star studded cast with huge effects and lots of sets to build and you gotta realize the reality of budget. I was looking at the Art of IM2 book in a Barnes & Noble and they had some cool ideas, it's not like they just came up with that and said "yeah that's good enough." I'm sure they wanted more but each of those shots costs a lot of money and they had already undoubtedly burned out a lot of it by hiring that cast alone. Paid off, though.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #74
marvelman2006
Banned User

I would change a bunch of stuff:

- the pacing was entirely off in this movie, was it a comedy? was it a drama? was it an action adventure? the movie seemed to have a split personality problem where it didnt know what it wanted to be so it just flip flopped every 10 minutes till the credits rolled.

- why do you have ironman being air dropped into a expo 1000's of feet down when he can just fly from home? does superman get air dropped in too? also from the looks of expo audiences reactions noone knew he was even air dropped in so what sense did it make? he can fly for christ sakes, and dont dare say it was too far from home because he flew from his house to the middle east in the first one.

- give ironman something to do in his movie. he sat on a$# for almost the whole movie then they made it illegal for him to be ironman after he was just sitting around. he had 3 fights and the rest of the time sat around and talked about shield, dad, drinking.

- I didnt mind black widow but I feel she didnt serve the story best at all, you could have easily had coulson in her spot and not miss a beat.

- I would redo the whole war machine born scene, it felt like a comedy scene and the whole lead up to rhodes taking the suit didnt make sense.
It was suppose to be a emotion filled scene that came off more as a comedy routine from snl and it felt like a rock um sock um robots deal where they couldnt hurt each other so what was the point of the fight?

- for god sakes have these damn people keep there mask on in fights. if Im fighting 2 guys who have lasers and mini guns firing at me, the last thing Im going to do is take off my mask to say "good to be back"

just some of my quips but the movie really felt like a first draft and they just ran with it instead working down to a solid story.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #75
Slushy
The Man

- Terrence Howard as James Rhodes / War Machine

- Longer final battle

- "War Machine" playing during the credits instead of "Highway To Hell"

That's it.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote