The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #51
AntiG
Side-Kick

Default Re: New director ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Eclipse ruined everything because he did a bad job directing it, or because it was a Twilight movie?
Ruined because it seems like he is a sell out after entering that franchise. And that makes "Wolverine 2" look like not "a David Slade movie" but "a Tom Rothman and Fox movie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by david icke View Post
That is absolute rubbish. So as soon as a director does one so-so movie, all previous work is dismissed? By that criteria Martin Scorsese should have been written off in the late 70s after 'New York, New York', Speilberg should have been written off after '1941'...
Such a meaningless comparison... Scorsese and Spielberg both did several great films before the movies you mentioned. And by that time they were already great visionary directors. Slade made only 2 good movies, just one indie thriller and one horror movie, not masterpieces, not "The Jaws" or "Taxi Driver".

AntiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #52
transurferx

Yes, good comparsion.

transurferx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #53
Rac
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
but i liked 30's days of night, the ending wasn't the greatest, but i loved the portrayal of vampires, (that's how i i think vampires SHOULD be portrayed in film), and hard candy was very good imo, so out of the two directors, i think slade has more going for him.
I'm just biased because I love the comic book, and the film was just a bastardization of it. (Yeah yeah, I know that Steve Niles wrote both.) The film had good splatter scenes, but that's about it, imo.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #54
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I just don't want another Wolverine film. :/
Same.

Just stop. Please.

TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #55
x-fan
Side-Kick

let Stallone direct, wonder how that would turn out??

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #56
narrows101
Side-Kick

Another director seems to be in the mix - Darren Aronofsky.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/dire...rine-deadpool/

Quote:
On the X-Men: Wolverine 2 front, 20th Century Fox is between David Slade and Darren Aronofsky, I'm told. Slade, who just directed the summer hit The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, met over the weekend with Jackman on location where he is shooting Real Steel for DreamWorks. Aronofsky has also been talking with Jackman, and they have a good relationship that dates back to The Fountain, when Jackman stepped in after Brad Pitt dropped out. Jackman holds a lot of clout in the decision and while Aronofsky has some momentum of his own because of Black Swan, I'd say Slade has the edge. He is coming off a big summer movie with large-scale effects, which makes the studio comfortable. Fox went with Gavin Hood on the first Wolverine, and while he came from the Oscar-winning South African film Tsotsi, it was quite an adjustment moving into a tent pole sized undertaking, and Aronofsky has a similar prestige film background. Robert Schwentke, who created Comic-Con buzz for his film Red, had been in the mix--he was going to meet Jackman in Detroit along with Slade last weekend--but he opted out of the competition. Instead, Schwentke is eyeing projects that include Robert Ludlum's The Osterman Weekend and Universal's Ryan Reynolds-starrer RIPD as possible next pictures.

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #57
Figs
Banned User

I don't mind either Slade or Aronofsky. Aronofsky is damn good in my eyes but with a film from Fox, the quality all depends on how much freedom Fox studios will give their directors.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #58
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I really don't see Aronofsky directing a film like this.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #59
Project862006
Banned User

we did'nt see Nolan coming from insomnia and memento to direct batman begins either

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #60
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I can't picture Aronofsky....yet I feel he would be awesome, because he always is.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #61
Project862006
Banned User

i would rather he do a batman begins style with a dare devil reboot honestly with his gritty style

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #62
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Wasn't Aronofsky supposed to Batman or Watchmen originally? Maybe both?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #63
Project862006
Banned User

i think both

Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #64
AntiG
Side-Kick

Just can't believe it. Aronofsky's too good. But "Wolverine in Japan" is so faaaaaaaaaaaaar from his style. His fans may be disappointed cause it will not be psychedelic.

But he is EXACTLY that kind of VISIONARY director I was talking about!

AntiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #65
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Aronofsky is a genius but I just don't see him fitting into the studio tentpole mix, it'll end up with Slade I reckon.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #66
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Aronofsky goddammit! God Fox make it happen! I hope this happens! I would actually have faith in this. He's worked with Jackman before so there's that. I'd love it. It's exactly what this film needs.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #67
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
Just can't believe it. Aronofsky's too good. But "Wolverine in Japan" is so faaaaaaaaaaaaar from his style. His fans may be disappointed cause it will not be psychedelic.

But he is EXACTLY that kind of VISIONARY director I was talking about!
Technically speaking, compared to his other films The Wrestler was also considered far from his style too.

I would be happy if he took the job to direct but at the same time I think it might be a waste of his talent much like Fincher doing The Social Network.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #68
Project862006
Banned User

^yet that is getting good reviews

Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #69
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

If they get Aronofsky I might actually give this movie a chance.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #70
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
^yet that is getting good reviews
I wasn't really talking about the quality of the film but the type of film. I'm sure The Social Network will be good but I just thought Fincher would have done something different for his next film, not so much a college drama type of film.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #71
Superhero 101
DESI

I say go with the guy who did the fountain because he has worked with jackman

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #72
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Aronofsky is a pipe dream... I think Fox just threw out a name to give the project some reputability. It was a probably a call to his agent and a "we'll get back to you" inquire.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #73
Seen
It's Been Seen

I was originally vying for Slade, as a big fan of Hard Candy, but now that Aronosfky is a contender he's automatically my favorite to direct. While at this point I'll be happy with whomever gets selected -- and I'm just thrilled we have two directors in contention that are of superb caliber and extremely talented -- I really hope Aronosfky gets the job. He's one of my favorite directors and I think he would do wonders with this film. Something tells me Slade will get it but I can hope, right?

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #74
Rac
Deadite

Aronofsky is a great director and one of my favorites, but I'm afraid even he can't make this work as long as Jackman (and Shuler-Donner) pull the strings. He/they don't understand **** about Wolverine, and I have the feeling Aronofsky doesn't really care about the roots (as the Batman script he was going to direct was awful).

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #75
Project862006
Banned User

he also wanted to modernize watchmen when he was attached