The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #376
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: What about the music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Phoenix Rises is definitely the single greatest piece of music associated with these films.
Oh definitely. It's beautifully set up with Dark Phoenix's Tragedy, and then it greatly adds to the scene. That scene in X-Men: The Last Stand is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series (Jean's sacrifice in X2 probably being the only scene I love more), and Powell's score during that scene is definitely a contributing factor.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #377
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

FINALLY found the CD. I guess it was released today, but even Best Buy didn't have it. The Barnes & Noble that I went to had one freaking copy. So I picked it up (along with the Wolverine: Weapon X and Wolverine trades )

As I was typing this, I was listening to Mutant and Proud - great piece of music, great scene.

Good score. I still don't think the score is as good as X-Men: The Last Stand, but it's probably my 2nd favorite score of the series.

Coincidentally enough, those are probably my favorite 2 movies of the series in that order, as well.

The booklet is pretty standard with shots from the movie, just like the previous score booklets. But it's good stuff.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #378
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
FINALLY found the CD. I guess it was released today, but even Best Buy didn't have it. The Barnes & Noble that I went to had one freaking copy. So I picked it up (along with the Wolverine: Weapon X and Wolverine trades )

As I was typing this, I was listening to Mutant and Proud - great piece of music, great scene.

Good score. I still don't think the score is as good as X-Men: The Last Stand, but it's probably my 2nd favorite score of the series.

Coincidentally enough, those are probably my favorite 2 movies of the series in that order, as well.

The booklet is pretty standard with shots from the movie, just like the previous score booklets. But it's good stuff.
Agreed, Mutant and Proud is EXCELLENT even though it breaks my heart a little every time I hear it.

And I agree that Phoenix Rises is great! The bit between 2:30ish and 3:00 of that piece is one of my favorite bits from a soundtrack ever. The rest of the CD however, is really hit or miss with me and I actually deleted a number of tracks when I copied the CD over to my iPod. That's why FC wins in the overall department. It's got its own lineup of forgettable tracks (Mobilize for Russia, To Beast or not to Beast, True Colours, Let the Battle Commence) but none are especially worth deleting. And there are so many excellent ones (Frankenstein's Monster, Cerebro, Mutant and Proud, Rage and Serenity, Magneto, Sub Lift, the first 1:30mins of Not that Kind of Bank). Magneto's recurring theme stays with you from the first credits where the strings start in slow and sombre. And they really nail it with kid Erik screaming and crushing everything.

According to my ratings, TLS's best tracks were Phoenix Rises, The Last Stand, Whirlpool of Love, and Dark Phoenix's Tragedy. Everything else I gave 2-3/5 to :/.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #379
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

See for me it's the opposite... I don't think the forgettable tracks from X-Men: The Last Stand are any more forgettable than the ones from X-Men: First Class... but the good tracks absolutely blow the good tracks from X-Men: First Class out of the water.

However, I would pretty much agree with you on the track listing. The only thing I'd changed would be that To Beast Or Not To Beast is one of my favorite tracks on First Class, and with The Last Stand I'd also add Meet Leech, Then Off To The Lake.

The music that blares as Cyclops is on the motorcycle to Alkali Lake is just great. In fact, I love that whole little sequence.

It's like, okay, I know you're about to die, and you shouldn't, but for a second, riding in on a motorcycle like a hoss, with epic theme music pumping as you do it, it's like, for a moment, okay, this dude is f'ing badass

Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #380
blueserenity
Side-Kick

The big difference between the two soundtracks is that The Last Stand is more... orchestral, more like classical music, and FC is more modern. I'm not a fan of classical music and I find TLS overstuffs a lot of the tracks. FC feels "cleaner" in its simplicity, does that make sense? Like they trimmed the fat from it.

Meet Leech is not bad but I wouldn't put it in my favorites just because like before, it's a little overstuffed for a lot of it. So is Phoenix Rises actually, except for those 30 seconds I love.

I'm surprised people have mentioned X2 though, I have to say that I find it a little cheesy.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #381
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

The music is good at times, but I think it's more serviceable than anything. It's still better than HGW's work on XO: Wolverine, and it has two nice themes. I like "First Class", "Magneto", "X-Men" and "Mutant and Proud." I think some better/unusual orchestration, plus taking a more John Barry route for the 1960s tone would've improved the score so much more.

I expected Jackman to pull something similar to his work on Kick-Ass with some of Gulliver's Travels thrown in. It's more MV-lite than anything, but it's enjoyable. It can't stack up to Silvestri's score for CA though.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #382
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
The music is good at times, but I think it's more serviceable than anything. It's still better than HGW's work on XO: Wolverine, and it has two nice themes. I like "First Class", "Magneto", "X-Men" and "Mutant and Proud." I think some better/unusual orchestration, plus taking a more John Barry route for the 1960s tone would've improved the score so much more.

I expected Jackman to pull something similar to his work on Kick-Ass with some of Gulliver's Travels thrown in. It's more MV-lite than anything, but it's enjoyable. It can't stack up to Silvestri's score for CA though.
There's a couple pieces that I really like, Logan Through Time, Wade Goes To Work, and my favorite, Kayla, but outside of that, yes I agree.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #383
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
...I'm surprised people have mentioned X2 though, I have to say that I find it a little cheesy.
To that I answer Storm entering Stryker's base with the help of lightining and wind. Amazing choral use of the main theme of X2, also, not cheesy.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #384
4ntonio4guilar

I made a hip hop beat with Magneto's Theme, feel free to comment

4ntonio4guilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #385
Palantium Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ntonio4guilar View Post
I made a hip hop beat with Magneto's Theme, feel free to comment
pretty good

Palantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #386
4ntonio4guilar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantium Man View Post
pretty good

Thanks bud!

4ntonio4guilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #387
akfj
Side-Kick

I heard the "First Class" track played on ABC before a college football game yesterday.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #388
CWP
Side-Kick

I just would like to say that the soundtrack was probably the best part about watching this movie.