The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Chewy
REDACTED

Default First Class Official Casting Thread

Quote:
James McAvoy has signed on to play a young Charles Xavier, aka Professor X, in “X-Men: First Class,” which Matthew Vaughn is directing for Fox.

According to Fox, “First Class” will “chart the epic beginning of the X-Men saga. Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were the closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-Men.”

Fox is moving fast on the production, hiring Vaughn in early May and planning a summer start in London. The movie is being planned for a June 3, 2011, release.

Bryan Singer, who conceived the story for “First Class,” is producing along with Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg.

McAvoy already has comic book movie experience, having starred in “Wanted.” The British actor was last seen in “The Last Station.”
SOURCE

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
roach
I am the night

Default Re: James McAvoy is young Professor X

interesting

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
BMM
Side-Kick

Ha. McAvoy's not much older than some of the actors being recommended for the students. I'll be interested to see who they cast as Magneto.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
bunk
superhero fan

Well it's a step in the right the direction. McAvoy is excellent.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
JP
To me

McAvoy fking owns. I'd prefer if he were Magneto, though. Can't wait to see him bald, though.

Also, notice the article also confirms the filming location, London.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Wow this is some Solid Casting... really like McAvoy.. and I'm with you on that one JP I want to see what he looks like Bald.

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
JP
To me

Seriously though, I want to be so against this film because it's Fox... but everything about the movie so far just looks so good. Singer, Vaughn, Goldman, and now McAvoy.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

For some reason, I just wouldnt have thought of him for the role, but he is a frigging great choice, i'm very happy with this, does a great English accent as well, watch the Narnia movie for proof.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
flash13
Wally West

Good choice he's a good actor.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.5/10
GODZILLA 8/10
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 9/10
Guardians of the Galaxy, August 1
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1, November 21

Avengers: Age of Ultron, May 1
Jurassic World, June 12
The Fantastic Four, June 19
Ant-Man, July 31
Assassin's Creed, August 7

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 2, November 20
Star Wars: Episode VII, December 18
flash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Robin91939
Master Tim

I'm starting to get scared that they are going too young with Charles and Erik. How can we have Scott and Emma or even Jean for that matter in this film?

Professor Xavier found Scott Summers and Emma Frost in the mid 1980's (at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

Professor Xavier found Jean Grey just after this, also in the mid 1980's WHILE he and Magneto were still working together (X3: The Last Stand we see them recruit Jean and they are still WORKING TOGETHER).

In the film-verse, their "falling out" would have to take place in the late 80's and 1990's to fill the gap between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the preludes to X3: The Last Stand. This film shouldn't take place in the 1960's unless that is to establish how the two meet and become friends. Then, it could flash forward to the 80's/90's and see them recruit their "First Class" of Scott Summers (age 17), Jean Grey (age 16), Emma Frost (age 17), Hank McCoy (age 28), Raven Darkholme (age 19) and Mortimer Toynbee (age 20)....maybe even throw in the mysterious Gambit (age 29).

This would make sense with the calendar established in the film-verse. You can't have Cyclops show up in the 60's or 70's. He has to be introduced in the late 80's.

Interested how this'll shape up.

-R

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
OptimusPrime114
Side-Kick

Nice to hear such positive reaction. The folk as **************.com are not so welcoming to this news.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
I'm starting to get scared that they are going too young with Charles and Erik. How can we have Scott and Emma or even Jean for that matter in this film?

Professor Xavier found Scott Summers and Emma Frost in the mid 1980's (at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

Professor Xavier found Jean Grey just after this, also in the mid 1980's WHILE he and Magneto were still working together (X3: The Last Stand we see them recruit Jean and they are still WORKING TOGETHER).

In the film-verse, their "falling out" would have to take place in the late 80's and 1990's to fill the gap between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the preludes to X3: The Last Stand. This film shouldn't take place in the 1960's unless that is to establish how the two meet and become friends. Then, it could flash forward to the 80's/90's and see them recruit their "First Class" of Scott Summers (age 17), Jean Grey (age 16), Emma Frost (age 17), Hank McCoy (age 28), Raven Darkholme (age 19) and Mortimer Toynbee (age 20)....maybe even throw in the mysterious Gambit (age 29).

This would make sense with the calendar established in the film-verse. You can't have Cyclops show up in the 60's or 70's. He has to be introduced in the late 80's.

-R
To be fair I think the timeline is already screwed up in these movies.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
JP
To me

Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Alright some get a Manip going of McAvoy Bald

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

He's a quality actor and I reckon they'll age him in the film in order to try and keep with the timeline as best they can.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:

-R
Agreed. McAvoy is a fine actor, but just seems a tad too young for First Class. If this was the Magneto movie, fine, the age would work. But if Scott and Jean are meant to be in this, well...

Which leads me to this next conclusion: the classic X-team may NOT be the "first class." Rather, we could be looking at a whole new lineup of mutants.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
The casting almost implies 2 very distinct stages in Xavier's life. The younger era between Charles and Eric, and decades later when they have become enemies. It's a lot easier to age actors than it is to youth-ify them, so I'm guessing that's why they got someone of McAvoy's age.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Yeah, the age range is kind of concerning, but damn this is awesome.

Hopefully, they cast the X-Men with actors that actually look/are 16 or 17.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

He's a good actor, but it's going to be weird seeing someone other than Stewart play Xavier. I do kinda agree that he fits Magneto in my mind more than Xavier.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
The casting almost implies 2 very distinct stages in Xavier's life. The younger era between Charles and Eric, and decades later when they have become enemies. It's a lot easier to age actors than it is to youth-ify them, so I'm guessing that's why they got someone of McAvoy's age.
I haven't followed this movie very closely, but it does seem like the movie will cover several stages of their lives. In the first X-Men we saw Magneto as a child during the Holocaust, but they've never shown Professor X. So, his history should be explored as well.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Wow, I did not see this coming at all. My first thought is that he is too young, but they could age him. But he's a great actor. I'm really curious as to how he will play it.

Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Project862006
Banned User

Well Scott looked about 30 in X Films and he found him when he was a teenager lets say 15 ,Stewart looked about 50 in X1 would make him about 35 when he finds Scott and James McAvoy is 31.

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Nice casting. I predict many manips lie ahead of us.

Cant wait to see who'll be Young Magneto.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #24
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

This is interesting news. He's an outstanding actor.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

Fantastic News!

Downhere is offline   Reply With Quote