View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises vs Civil War
TDKR 114 51.12%
CW 109 48.88%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
Kobra
Banned User

Default TDKR vs Civil War

So, this seems like a pretty fair and obvious comparison to me. Which one do you think is the better film?

To me TDKR takes the cake easily. It's just a better film. Better acting, better soundtrack, better cinematography, more intriguing story and just more epic overall. CW wins in the action department though.

Kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
Bayne
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR vs Civil War

Are you talking about the movie you think you're talking about?

Because if you meant 'The Dark Knight' instead of 'The Dark Knight Rises', then I could understand where you're coming from, but...

Seriously, TDKR had some good stuff in it, but overall it was a pretty big disappointment. The story was ambitious, but utterly nonsensical, and completely undid one of the best parts of TDK. And you don't get to claim 'better acting' for the movie that combined Bale's (worst yet rendition of the) bat voice with Hardy's cartoon network Bane voice. I mean, watch it enough times and you'll get used to them and see past them, sure, and there is stuff there once you can see past them, but, wow who okayed those choices?

Incidentally, I hated all the nolan trilogy soundtracks. Easily the most disappointing part of the entire trilogy (which was otherwise very good).

Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Drz
Real Hero

Rises is the better movie, while Civil War pays tribute to the Dark Knight.

"Social critics donít mean a thing to me. Itís really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what Iím doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Kobra
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayne View Post
Are you talking about the movie you think you're talking about?

Because if you meant 'The Dark Knight' instead of 'The Dark Knight Rises', then I could understand where you're coming from, but...

Seriously, TDKR had some good stuff in it, but overall it was a pretty big disappointment. The story was ambitious, but utterly nonsensical, and completely undid one of the best parts of TDK. And you don't get to claim 'better acting' for the movie that combined Bale's (worst yet rendition of the) bat voice with Hardy's cartoon network Bane voice. I mean, watch it enough times and you'll get used to them and see past them, sure, and there is stuff there once you can see past them, but, wow who okayed those choices?

Incidentally, I hated all the nolan trilogy soundtracks. Easily the most disappointing part of the entire trilogy (which was otherwise very good).
Why wouldn't i be talking about the movie i think i'm talking about? Your response seems a little off since both movies had very similar critical reception, so it's more than a fair comparison. And i don't agree with anything you said about the movie. I think it's great and considerably superior to CW.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Bayne
Side-Kick

I never said you weren't, I was just rather confused that anyone would even put this question out there, because in my experience, TDKR had a fairly heavily mediocre reception. It contradicted itself repeatedly, its pacing was terrible and the villain's plan made no sense at all. It was still entertaining, and I liked Robin and Catwoman, but comparing it to Civil War is, imo, ridiculous.

Civil War had some of the best action and acting I've ever seen in a superhero movie. It had multiple character moments better than anything in TDKR. The story was tight, interesting and fresh, with one of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

So like I said, I'd understand perfectly if we were comparing it to the TDK - that would be a very interesting back and forth discussion - but this is just a slam dunk for Civil War.

Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

Civil War. Not sure I'd call this a slam dunk but Rises is pretty overrated by some around here. It's ambitious and well-crafted overall but full of really questionable story choices that prevent me from putting it on the same pedestal as the first two. He stops asking "why", and things happen just because. Not only is it the worst of the trilogy, but it's Nolan's worst movie IMO. That being said its still a good movie that I mostly enjoy, but Civil War takes the cake here.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #7
Kobra
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayne View Post
I never said you weren't, I was just rather confused that anyone would even put this question out there, because in my experience, TDKR had a fairly heavily mediocre reception. It contradicted itself repeatedly, its pacing was terrible and the villain's plan made no sense at all. It was still entertaining, and I liked Robin and Catwoman, but comparing it to Civil War is, imo, ridiculous.

Civil War had some of the best action and acting I've ever seen in a superhero movie. It had multiple character moments better than anything in TDKR. The story was tight, interesting and fresh, with one of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

So like I said, I'd understand perfectly if we were comparing it to the TDK - that would be a very interesting back and forth discussion - but this is just a slam dunk for Civil War.
When it comes to your opinion, it's simply your opinion. I respect it and i don't agree with it.

When it comes to the reception, no, it wasn't mediocre. Unless you consider a movie with an average rating of 8/10 on RT mediocre. BTW, the average rating is actually higher than CW's and almost every other Marvel movie, so if TDKR had a mediocre reception, i think we can say the same about every other super hero film.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Kobra
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Civil War. Not sure I'd call this a slam dunk but Rises is pretty overrated by some around here. It's ambitious and well-crafted overall but full of really questionable story choices that prevent me from putting it on the same pedestal as the first two. He stops asking "why", and things happen just because. Not only is it the worst of the trilogy, but it's Nolan's worst movie IMO. That being said its still a good movie that I mostly enjoy, but Civil War takes the cake here.
Maybe you meant overrated by some around here, by critics and by the GA. Overrated by the vast majority, since the movie got one of the best receptions of any CBM ever.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #9
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
Maybe you meant overrated by some around here, by critics and by the GA. Overrated by the vast majority, since the movie got one of the best receptions of any CBM ever.
I don't think it should go down as one of the greats like its two predecessors, but it got a good reception because it's a good movie.
Civil war recieved an even better reception, so by your own standards that's worth taking into account.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 05-12-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
CaptainWagner
Stop.....Boomerang Time!

Civil War. Rises wasn't as bad as some make it out to be, but it was far from the quality of Civil War. It's greatest weaknesses being glaring plot holes and watered down villains with pathetic deaths. Civil War had some plot holes, but non were so glaring as TDKR. And Zemo was a FAR better villain. I have to give TDKR the win for a better ending, but overall, Civil War takes the cake.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Kobra
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I don't think it should go down as one of the greats like its two predecessors, but it got a good reception because it's a good movie.
Civil war recieved an even better reception, so by your own standards that's worth taking into account.
Well, based on critical reception, it will go down as one of the greats, unless we start seeing a lot of CBM getting better receptions.

As far as getting a better reception, they're pretty much on the same level in that aspect. As i said before, TDKR even got a better average rating from critics, so it's not like one as any sort of significant advantage over the other.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #12
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

TDKR.

For me, any single Bane scene is more memorable and entertaining than the entirety of CW.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
Unbreakable Lex
Criminal Mastermind

Civil War for me. While I thought Civil War was weak in a lot of areas, it was fun and entertaining and didn't have any mind boggling stuff like Bane taking over a city for half a year or Wayne recovering from a broke back while in a hole.

Unbreakable Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
Kobra
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
TDKR.

For me, any single Bane scene is more memorable and entertaining than the entirety of CW.
Nolan knows how to create memorable moments. Every single moment is special. That's why even with bad choreography the movies were so well received. It's all about the meaning being every scene.

Last edited by Kobra; 05-12-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

I agree.

I think those two Batman/Bane fights are some of the best scenes in any superhero movie. Out of context they're horrible, but that doesn't matter. I still remember the first time I watched those scenes, and they were way more affecting than any fight in CW.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #16
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

They are currently #2 and #3 on my all-time CBM list, but the edge goes to Civil War.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Funny how each film is to me the exact opposite of what their comics were.

No Man's Land and Dark Knight Returns are two of my favorite Batman stories of all time, but TDKR was one of the most disappointing Batman film experience I've ever had.

Civil War is one of my most dreaded comic book stories (topped only by One More Day), but the film is one of my favorite CBM's overall.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #18
Snow Queen
4AF

Rises. I really, really like Civil War, but I find the story in TDKR more compelling and the character arc more interesting. I think Civil War was shot in the foot in this regard, as both in this and Winter Soldier, it suffers as a result of previous films. As wonderfully as the relationships are handled in this and Winter Soldier, they're held back by the fact previous films not from this creative team did a poor job developing Cap and Bucky's relationship and Steve and Tony's.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #19
Slade W
"Who is Slade?"

TDKR IMO. I really enjoyed Civil War too though.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #20
psylockolussus
Mutated User

Civil War for me, its just more fun for me!

Finding Dory, The Conjuring 2, Civil War, Beyond, Ghostbusters, Jason, Apocalypse, Legend of Tarzan, Angry Birds, Suicide Squad, Out of the Shadows, Through the Looking Glass, Collision Course, Resurgence, Warcraft.

www.twitter.com/xmenmoviesandtv
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #21
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Civil War by a loooong shot. I really enjoy TDKR but there is so much in that movie that is just silly. Not just nitpicky things either, but huge ridiculous stuff like the entire police force going into the sewer.

2016: Kung Fu Panda 3- 7/10, The Finest Hours- 7.5/10, Zootopia- 8.5/10, 10 Cloverfield Lane- 9/10, BvS- 4/10, Jungle Book- 9.5/10, Civil War- 10/10, Apocalypse- 6/10, P and P and Zombies- 6/10, TMNT2-6/10, Central Intelligence- 7/10, ID2- 4/10, Finding Dory- 9/10, Tarzan- 7/10, Secret Life of Pets- 5/10, Ghostbusters- 8/10, Hail Caesar!- 6.5/10, Jason Bourne- 6.5/10, Suicide Squad- 5/10, Petes Dragon- 7/10

Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #22
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Civil War can be argued as the best of the entire MCU.

TDKR can be argued to be the worst of the TDKT.

Civil War.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #23
Adhesive Boy
Side-Kick

Definitely Civil War. It really embraces the genre in a glorious way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Civil War by a loooong shot. I really enjoy TDKR but there is so much in that movie that is just silly. Not just nitpicky things either, but huge ridiculous stuff like the entire police force going into the sewer.
The Gotham police was consistently utterly incompetent starting with the opening scene in TDK. No wonder they needed Batman.

Adhesive Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Have to go with Civil War. While TDKR is a good movie, it takes being in the right mood for me to watch it since it's dark, depressing, and drags in multiple spots due some rather poor plot decisions. CW is a much more fun movie with characters I actually care about.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
That9neGuy
Newbie First Class

In my opinion Civil War is the best CBM of all time, so this is no question.

That9neGuy is offline   Reply With Quote